Coaching Carousel-2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
youthathletics

Re: Coaching Carousel-2022

Post by youthathletics »

jrn19 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:34 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:09 pm
ObxTerpFan wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:05 pm If Benson does leave, the Maryland O.C. hire will be very interesting.
Can Georgetown pay as much as Maryland?
Risky move....about the only place to go is down, could be a career ending move if the cupboards do not stay packed.
Mike Phipps career is going to end by going to Maryland OC, a position in which the last 3 occupants have gone on to head coaching jobs, is an interesting take
The thought behind my comment was directed at the outcome of next year, maybe two. If, and its a big IF, the Terps do not perform as well...it shows as if new OC is the reason they slipped and proved Benson was the reason. Yes, it is unlikely but risky.

But we all know it was JL Reppert and TIllman, that did the heavy lifting over the past few recruiting years. :D
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:50 am
jrn19 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:34 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:09 pm
ObxTerpFan wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:05 pm If Benson does leave, the Maryland O.C. hire will be very interesting.
Can Georgetown pay as much as Maryland?
Risky move....about the only place to go is down, could be a career ending move if the cupboards do not stay packed.
Mike Phipps career is going to end by going to Maryland OC, a position in which the last 3 occupants have gone on to head coaching jobs, is an interesting take
The thought behind my comment was directed at the outcome of next year, maybe two. If, and its a big IF, the Terps do not perform as well...it shows as if new OC is the reason they slipped and proved Benson was the reason. Yes, it is unlikely but risky.

But we all know it was JL Reppert and TIllman, that did the heavy lifting over the past few recruiting years. :D
I see what you are saying, but I would imagine Coach Tillman is understanding of that scenario as well. It has been reported a couple places that he had a good amount to do with the offensive resurgence at Maryland.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:14 am
InsiderRoll wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:05 am
jrn19 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:52 am Wojcik made the tournament once; lost in Round 1. He only made the Ivy League tournament 3x in 9 years.
Yeah he should never deserve another head coaching spot again. He could never have possibly learned from that experience or grown even a little given his advanced age.
History tells us these guys don’t get a lot of second chances.

Stagnitta, Haus, etc
Stagnitta was an absolute wreck at Rutgers and actually drove that program into the ground. Terrible recruiter and his players (for the most part) hated him.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Per Michigan twitter
ᴇxᴛᴇɴᴅᴇᴅ

Our program is thrilled to announce that head coach @CoachConry has inked a multi-year contract extension!
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

AreaLax wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:44 pm Per Michigan twitter
ᴇxᴛᴇɴᴅᴇᴅ

Our program is thrilled to announce that head coach @CoachConry has inked a multi-year contract extension!
That is good news for Michigan Lacrosse IMO. He's bringing in and retaining some great talent. A couple more years, you will see how it all shakes out.
Bandito

Post by Bandito »

Henpecked wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:57 pm
ᴇxᴛᴇɴᴅᴇᴅ

That is good news for Michigan Lacrosse IMO. He's bringing in and retaining some great talent. A couple more years, you will see how it all shakes out.
This has been said every year. Where are the RESULTS??!!??!?!?!?!
Farfromgeneva is a sissy soy boy
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Bandito wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:09 pm
ᴇxᴛᴇɴᴅᴇᴅ

What results are you looking for ?
LongIslandLacks

Post by LongIslandLacks »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:22 pm
ᴇxᴛᴇɴᴅᴇᴅ

This is hometown press a little over a month ago. Tough situation with this in the student newspaper.

https://www.michigandaily.com/sports/la ... igan-need/
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

ᴇxᴛᴇɴᴅᴇᴅ

I didn’t say he’s going to be successful. I just think it is a good practice to give coaches time to build a winning culture. Took Warne a long time at Georgetown. To bail on him at this point would just set the program back.

Not sure how it will shake out. But we’ll find out in a couple years, like I stated.
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

[/quote]

This is hometown press a little over a month ago. Tough situation with this in the student newspaper.

[/quote]

"The 0-7 run truly defines what the 2022 Michigan men’s lacrosse team is."

Ouch. I hope John Tondora doesn't live down the hall from any of these guys.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Henpecked wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:49 pm
ᴇxᴛᴇɴᴅᴇᴅ

I didn’t say he’s going to be successful. I just think it is a good practice to give coaches time to build a winning culture. Took Warne a long time at Georgetown. To bail on him at this point would just set the program back.

Not sure how it will shake out. But we’ll find out in a couple years, like I stated.
I would think you’d want to see incremental improvement over time, even if the coach did not have big-time head coaching experience prior to this job (as Conry didn’t). And success in conference would be one important measuring stick. Conry went 2-8 in the B1G his first two years. He’s gone 2-13 in the B1G since then. Thinking that’s a pretty good indication of how the next two years are going to shake out for the Wolverines.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Life is non linear
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
LongIslandLacks

To quote the Bard: Even a blind man knows when the sun is shining.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

LongIslandLacks wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:31 pm
10stone5 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:22 pm
ᴇxᴛᴇɴᴅᴇᴅ

“ Because time is running out “
Guess its not,
Because Conry just got a new contract.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

The paper meant on their own wisdom
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

All the more reason for Conry to prove he was worthy of that extension. And, once again, it all starts with:

-Getting the first double-digit win season in program history.
-Finishing in the top four in the Big Ten.
LongIslandLacks

gymman1031 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:40 am All the more reason for Conry to prove he was worthy of that extension. And, once again, it all starts with:

Number 1 seems like such a low bar. He can just add a few more Anish cupcake specials to the schedule from this past season.

Number 2 is a pretty sad goal, because that one feels like it is just bound to happen as a matter of probability.

That university spent a lot of money on facilities and fully funded their team to compete. They’ve been in the league since it started in 2015. Those goals should have been accomplished some time back. I would assume to prove worthy of the extension, more significant progress needs to be achieved and quickly.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

LongIslandLacks wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:42 am
gymman1031 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:40 am All the more reason for Conry to prove he was worthy of that extension. And, once again, it all starts with:

Number 1 seems like such a low bar. He can just add a few more Anish cupcake specials to the schedule from this past season.

Number 2 is a pretty sad goal, because that one feels like it is just bound to happen as a matter of probability.

That university spent a lot of money on facilities and fully funded their team to compete. They’ve been in the league since it started in 2015. Those goals should have been accomplished some time back. I would assume to prove worthy of the extension, more significant progress needs to be achieved and quickly.
Yes, I agree with a lot of that. And, with Conry now having his players, and him having recruited quite well, it SHOULD be, at least close to being:

now or ever

PS-Number two is not a complete given in any way.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

gymman1031 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:55 am

Yes, I agree with a lot of that. And, with Conry now having his players, and him having recruited quite well, it SHOULD be, at least close to being:

now or ever

How many times can you talk about Michigan and say the same thing?
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:23 am
gymman1031 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:55 am

now or ever

How many times can you talk about Michigan and say the same thing?
Yes, that is true. I have said it a lot. I just said it one more time due to the news about the contract extension.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”