Food thread - All things food-related

General Chatter
DMac

Re: Food thread - All things food-related

Post by DMac »

ardilla secreta wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:01 pm
DMac wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:32 am Okay boyz, it's mulberry tea time, both hot and iced.
Was all ready to say it's not all that great but it's actually pretty good. Tastes like a mild green tea, would definitely be good with some honey in it. The iced made with the strawberry mint in it is pretty darn good, refreshing and a nice flavor. A new little something, I like it.
Edit: Added some honey to the hot tea, definitely the ticket. Tasty.
Mulberry tea is known to be an excellent antioxidant. How are you preparing the leaves? In normal tea preparation, the leaves are slightly crushed which breaks up the cells then dried. Do you do this or just dunk fresh leaves.
I've watched a bunch of videos on how to make it and they range from picking and scrubbing both sides of each leave, drying them several different ways, to picking them off the tree and rinsing them a little bit then stuffing a bunch of them in a glass and pouring hot water over them, then let sit for 5-8 minutes. I went for the impatient route and went with the latter. I understand what you're saying and will pick a bunch of them and let them dry, then crumble 'em up and try it that way. I'd guess that's the best way to do it both from a nutritional and flavor stand point. This girl is pretty good, lots to know about mulberry leaves. I will use some of them for wraps too, they can be used like grape leaves like that. Pretty interesting stuff, all around the mulberry bush nothing but nutritional values and very tasty flavor (particularly the berries/fruit). Will be making some more syrup too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0QHatIKH1Y
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Townsend (a friend to a great many people on YT) made a video on mulberry pudding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOaz6EQ ... =Townsends
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0862/ ... 1465597319

Cannot recall the last time I had one of these. Am having the peach - very tasty and not overly sweet. Very refreshing. :D
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

DMac

Post by DMac »

Alright, aint nobody tellin' me nuthin about mulberries, done it all.
Made the tea a bunch of different ways, a s, really notice no difference. Laid 'em out and let them dry, baked 'em at 190 for 15 min, crumbled 'em up. Leaves right off the tree and in hot water seems to work pretty darn good flavor wise, don't know how the nutritional value changes with different methods.
My tasty morsels mulberry montage.
Tea (one with honey, one w strawberry mint), syrup, pastry, and pie (with original artwork).
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

DMac wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:30 pm Alright, aint nobody tellin' me nuthin about mulberries, done it all.
Made the tea a bunch of different ways, a s, really notice no difference. Laid 'em out and let them dry, baked 'em at 190 for 15 min, crumbled 'em up. Leaves right off the tree and in hot water seems to work pretty darn good flavor wise, don't know how the nutritional value changes with different methods.
My tasty morsels mulberry montage.
Tea (one with honey, one w strawberry mint), syrup, pastry, and pie (with original artwork).
Holy smokes, you really delivered the goods!
DMac

Post by DMac »

Made a pretty huge discovery in all my mulberry mulling around. The stems can be a bit of a pain in the asz (are). When making syrup they're a non factor but in pretty much everything else they need to be cut off. Freeze them and stems break off with the flick of a finger which beats the hell out of cutting every one off.
ardilla secreta

Good Eaton’. Fish head pie
6CBFD909-F9EA-4D4C-8F46-3242D0DDA580.jpeg
6CBFD909-F9EA-4D4C-8F46-3242D0DDA580.jpeg (97.62 KiB) Viewed 1057 times
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Leave it to the Brits to put something like that together. :mrgreen:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Fish Heads
Song by Barnes & Barnes

Fish heads fish heads,
Roly poly fish heads,
Fish heads fish heads,
Eat them up yum
Fish heads fish heads,
Roly poly fish heads,
Fish heads fish heads,
Eat them up yum
In the morning,
Laughing happy fish heads,
In the evening,
Floating in the soup,
Fish heads fish heads,
Roly poly fish heads,
Fish heads fish heads,
Eat them up yum
Ask a fish head,
Anything you want to,
They won't answer,
They can't talk
Fish heads fish heads,
Roly poly fish heads,
Fish heads fish heads,
Eat them up yum
I took a fish head,
Out to see a movie,
Didn't have to pay
To get it in
Fish heads fish heads,
Roly poly fish heads,
Fish heads fish heads,
Eat them up yum
They cant play baseball,
They dont wear sweaters,
There not good dancers,
They dont play drums
Fish heads fish heads,
Roly poly fish heads,
Fish heads fish heads,
Eat them up yum
Roly poly fish heads are never seen
Drinking cappucino in Italian resturants,
With oriental women, yeah
Fish heads fish heads,
Roly poly fish heads,
Fish heads fish heads,
Eat them up yum
Fish heads fish heads,
Roly poly fish heads,
Fish heads fish heads,
Eat them up yum, (yum!)
Fish heads fish heads,
Roly poly fish heads,
Fish heads fish heads,
Eat them up yum
Fish heads fish heads,
Roly poly fish heads,
Fish heads fish heads,
Eat them up yum,
Source: Musixmatch
Songwriters: Mumy Bill / Haimer Robert S

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

dinner tonight:

shrimp & chicken andouille sausage with white rice
chopped onions & sweet red peppers
seasoned with lemon salt & pepper, ginger, & turmeric
cooked over butter & olive oil

I had my dessert before dinner: butter pecan ice cream, orange juice, sunflower seeds, coco/hazelnut spread ~ all well blended and creamy :D

ardilla secreta

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:30 pm Leave it to the Brits to put something like that together. :mrgreen:
Aside from that dish, fish heads are actually quite tasty. Asian markets are a good place to find large fish heads like salmon or cod. Fish heads offer very flavorful and tender meat in the back of the head and around the collar. I like to split the head, drizzle with evoo then broil. In my SF days I used to go to a sushi bar in SF’s Japantown with my friend, who’s now a notable NYC chef. Broiled halibut collar was always part of the weekly ritual. The meat is so tender.
DMac

Post by DMac »

If you have an abundance of tomatoes and don't know what to do with all of them, try this.
Tastes pretty much like you'd think it would but I give it a very tasty, two thumbs up. Really
couldn't be much easier, whole lot of flavor going on there. Followed this, tomato pie y'all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdoFKe_TZ4U
ardilla secreta

Nicely done pie and brilliant use of parchment paper
ardilla secreta

A local fish market had this fish, wolffish, which I had never seen before. Very large fillet as you can see next to 12” chef knife. Cut into smaller portions, 6 total, pan sautéed. Cooks flaky, but has more fat than cod so richer flavor. Very tasty.
2BF8D085-B469-492A-87EF-2E1EFF1EE5FD.jpeg
2BF8D085-B469-492A-87EF-2E1EFF1EE5FD.jpeg (83.44 KiB) Viewed 840 times
49E592E0-CAA4-4D1A-BC39-ED55CCA612B5.jpeg
49E592E0-CAA4-4D1A-BC39-ED55CCA612B5.jpeg (82.39 KiB) Viewed 840 times
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

made an apple sauce pie like this one:

muffin flour
apple sauce
apple juice
cinnamon powder
ginger powder
clove powder*

as always, I do not measure any of these ingredients - always put them in al gusto or to taste ~ you do not need a crust or any added sugar

*a pinch of clove powder adds spiciness - I've never come across any recipe that calls for this but it works for me :)

DMac

Post by DMac »

I think the mulberry is getting a bum rap here!!
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/white ... 25c0c54c65
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

DMac wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:35 pm I think the mulberry is getting a bum rap here!!

I wonder if she was influenced by that cuckoo bird Dr Oz who once touted it as a miracle cure for whatever ails ya. He is well known for his tv quackery and has recommended all sorts of bogus "cures" like those 19th century traveling shows:

ardilla secreta

DMac wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:35 pm I think the mulberry is getting a bum rap here!!
You should get together with Dr Oz. You create the formula and let him hawk the new elixir and you can become rich and famous. In a year from now you could be having luncheon with Oprah.
ardilla secreta

You should get together with Dr Oz. You create the formula and let him hawk the new elixir and you can become rich and famous. In a year from now you could be having luncheon with Oprah.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

ardilla secreta wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:57 am
And on to the Senate!!

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”