Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Wheels

Re: Transfer Portal 2023

Post by Wheels »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:52 am
May not dismiss that but it really is supposed to be about elevating into midsole management. Otherwise why cross train w marketing, MIS, Hr/Org behavior, POM & finance/accounting? It’s the fist thing they hit you with.
MBAs originally were designed for non-business undergraduates. That's why your core MBA classes are pretty much the same as your core undergrad business courses. Anyone with a UG business degree probably finds those first 5 or 6 MBA courses really easy...and maybe even using the same textbooks and materials! Like, how many different ways can you teach financials in accounting? Or NPV in finance?

MBAs have become a commodity anyway. What's the old saying? Undergraduate pays the bills but graduate programs give you your margins?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Wheels wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:33 pm
May not dismiss that but it really is supposed to be about elevating into midsole management. Otherwise why cross train w marketing, MIS, Hr/Org behavior, POM & finance/accounting? It’s the fist thing they hit you with.
MBAs originally were designed for non-business undergraduates. That's why your core MBA classes are pretty much the same as your core undergrad business courses. Anyone with a UG business degree probably finds those first 5 or 6 MBA courses really easy...and maybe even using the same textbooks and materials! Like, how many different ways can you teach financials in accounting? Or NPV in finance?

MBAs have become a commodity anyway. What's the old saying? Undergraduate pays the bills but graduate programs give you your margins?
I was a Econ and European studies double major in undergrad but still didn’t need to go to grad school to practice modified IRRs or understand in behavioral finance what I could learn by observing people in life everyday. I did learn some things in marketing and HR but it’s not technical so much as embedded in cross thinking. It’s the application of what you learn in work that matters. Not the book learning. Also not from being in pitchbook hell til 2-3am for 2yrs, especially if you’re not a left or right lead junior. Hell I can buy HBS case studies if that’s all it is.

I will say there’s a difference in understanding and materials where I went because I was a TA for Behavioral Finance, Real Estate and Strategic Mgt profs in my time and the dumbest grad school person understood the core material better than almost all the undergrads in 300-400 level courses. Could’ve been sample bias (anecdotal) to my experience but it was evident.

So we’re sort of in agreement. Either way going straight from undergrad has little value regardless of what the undergrad major is in. Agree it’s a commodity much like a law degree and probably some others that are profession oriented, even sometimes in areas where you can build deep subject matter/domain expertise because it’s all fluid as society and understanding evolves. But it’s a signal that one understands that learning is not finite but required until the day you die to stay relevant in the world.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:54 pm

I was a Econ and European studies double major in undergrad but still didn’t need to go to grad school to practice modified IRRs or understand in behavioral finance what I could learn by observing people in life everyday. I did learn some things in marketing and HR but it’s not technical so much as embedded in cross thinking. It’s the application of what you learn in work that matters. Not the book learning. Also not from being in pitchbook hell til 2-3am for 2yrs, especially if you’re not a left or right lead junior. Hell I can’t buy HBS case studies if that’s all it is.

So we’re sort of in agreement. Either way going straight from undergrad has little value regardless of what the undergrad major is in.
I'll just add that there is little to no regulation of Masters Degrees anyway. Basically, they are a chance to either tryout for a Ph.D. program, spend another year in college, try another subject beyond the major, or just paper the resume. And now, to get a 5th year of a sport. Most of the academic stuff can be done in the library or online. The high ROI masters degrees give a high ROI because of the social networks they provide access to, not because of what is taught in the classroom, so always choose programs by school reputation over curriculum. The old advice on business degrees still holds: as an undergraduate study something you like and learn to read, write, observe, and think well. Then, if you are interested in business, go work in a business. Do well, and then get your company to assist you with the MBA as you advance. It's also like lacrosse: everything builds on a solid base, and shortcuts are usually a waste of time.
Rereading that post it sounds cranky ... when did I become my old man? :lol:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxgunea wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:08 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:54 pm

I was a Econ and European studies double major in undergrad but still didn’t need to go to grad school to practice modified IRRs or understand in behavioral finance what I could learn by observing people in life everyday. I did learn some things in marketing and HR but it’s not technical so much as embedded in cross thinking. It’s the application of what you learn in work that matters. Not the book learning. Also not from being in pitchbook hell til 2-3am for 2yrs, especially if you’re not a left or right lead junior. Hell I can’t buy HBS case studies if that’s all it is.

So we’re sort of in agreement. Either way going straight from undergrad has little value regardless of what the undergrad major is in.
I'll just add that there is little to no regulation of Masters Degrees anyway. Basically, they are a chance to either tryout for a Ph.D. program, spend another year in college, try another subject beyond the major, or just paper the resume. And now, to get a 5th year of a sport. Most of the academic stuff can be done in the library or online. The high ROI masters degrees give a high ROI because of the social networks they provide access to, not because of what is taught in the classroom, so always choose programs by school reputation over curriculum. The old advice on business degrees still holds: as an undergraduate study something you like and learn to read, write, observe, and think well. Then, if you are interested in business, go work in a business. Do well, and then get your company to assist you with the MBA as you advance. It's also like lacrosse: everything builds on a solid base, and shortcuts are usually a waste of time.
Agreed on all of this but we’re both liberal arts guys first (you’re also a Bart alum right?). As Afan loves and to use a Hobart thespian alum’s comments in the movie SLC Punk…

I didn’t sell out…I bought in!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eKjGPuC7jAg
Dux917

Post by Dux917 »

Bryant's Ben Abladian has entered the transfer portal. Put up big numbers last season

https://twitter.com/TheKyleDevitte/stat ... 9000151046
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Bryant is in trouble losing ORourke, McGovern and Abladian. Prior ine was leaving anyways but the other two could’ve come back. UVM is going to run away w the AE I suspect next year w SBU gone and Albany rebuilding it seems . I don’t trust UMBC
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

added Abladian

Air Force: Aidan Tolen (A)
Army: Marcus Hudgins (D)
Bellarmine: Matt Ury (LSM) #
Binghamton: Teddy Dolan (G) #-> Maryland, Kevin Winkoff (A) #
Boston U.: Christian Brofft (M)
Brown: George Pike (M) #, Darian Cook (A) #, Cameron Fiore (G) #, Andy Demopoulos (G)
Bryant: Logan McGovern (A) #, Bennet Abladian (A)
Bucknell: Alston Tarry (A) #
Colgate: Thor Adamec (LSM) #, Will Sidari (D) #, Ryan Decker (M) #-> Rutgers, Brian Minicus (A) # -> Georgetown
Dartmouth: Peter Rizzotti (LSM) #, Danny Hincks (G) #->Georgetown
Delaware: Peter Ripperger (G) #
Denver: Tim Sheehan (M), Ethan Kriss (FO), Alex Simmons (A/M) # -> Syracuse
Drexel: Brennan Greenwald (LSM) #
Fairfield: Kyle Borda (M) #, James Corasaniti (G) #, Tyler Wuchte (M) #, Trevor Ford (M) #, Patrick Drake (M) #, Brendan Dreyer (M) #, David Dorsett (M) #, Brian Reda (A) #
Georgetown: Dylan Watson (A) # -> Jacksonville
Harvard: Austin Madronic (A) #, Jackson Hartje (LSM) #, Oliver Hollo (LSM/D) #, Kyle Mullin(G) # ->Rutgers
High Point: Devon Buckshot (A), Tyler Hendrycks (A)
Hobart: Derrek Madonna (M) #, Ryan Dickson (FO) #
Hofstra: Jacob Addeche (G) #
Holy Cross: Peter Dobbs (G) #, Chris Conlin (D) #-> Notre Dame, AJ Fox (G) #
Lehigh: Tommy Schelling (A) #, Cole Kirst (A) # -> Syracuse
LIU: Richie LaCalandra (A) -> St. Joe's
Loyola: Riley Seay (M) #, Patrick Yowan (G) and Joey Annetta (D)
Marquette: Hudson Thomson (A), Russell Melendez (A)-> Johns Hopkins
Maryland: Jack Schirtzer (D), Michael Ubriaco (LSM) #
Mercer: Sean Goldsmith (A) # -> UNC
Michigan: Ronald Fisher (M), John Kiracofe (G)#, Gavin Legg (LSM) #
Mount St. Mary’s: Jake Kreiger (M) #, Jared McMahon (A) #, Connor McMahon(M) #-> Bryant
North Carolina: Jacob Kelly (A) # ~> Georgetown, Nicky Solomon (A) # -> Georgetown, Chase Mullins (FO)
Notre Dame: Davis Allen (M) # ->Fairfield, Griffin Hawthorne (D) #
Penn State: Brody Firestein (M), Lake Baker (FO)
Providence: Richie Hughson (FO)-> Penn State
Quinnipiac: Owen Boss (A), Will Abbott (M) #
Richmond: Griffin Kology (D) -> Virginia
Robert Morris: James Christoforatos (D) #
Sacred Heart: Donovan Lacey (M) # -> Maryland
Saint Joseph’s: Jake Engelke (A)
Siena: Sean Swenson (D)
St. John's: Jonathan Huber (A) #-> Stony Brook
Stony Brook: Anthony Palma (G) #
Syracuse: Tucker Dordevic (M) #->Georgetown, Mikey Berkman (A) #, Jack Savage (FO), Shahe Katchadurian (G), Jack Kennedy (D), Matteo Corsi (A/M)
Towson: Mo Sillah (LSM) #, Drew Martin (M) #
UMass Lowell: Conor Foley (A)
UMBC: Nick Dupuis (A)
Vermont: Thomas McConvey (M) # -> Virginia, Salvatore Iaria (M)
Virginia: Corbin Switzer (D), Jack Simmons (M) # -> Notre Dame
Wagner: Stephen Dwyer (A) # -> St. Joe's
Yale: Joe Neuman (FO) # -> Rutgers, Chris Fake (D) #, Brian Tevlin (M) #, Luke Eschbach (M) #

Division 2/3
Amherst (D3): PJ Clementi (A) #
Catholic (D3): Kevin Crowley (A) #
Christopher Newport (D3): Brady Altobello (M) #
Gettysburg (D3): Griffin Gallagher (M) #, Tate Keinzle (DM) #
Lynchburg: Kyle Lewis (A) # ->OSU
Salisbury (D3): Jarrett Bromwell (M) #
St. Lawrence (D3): William Helm (G) #
Kenyon (D3): Joe Bolea (ssdm) # -> Syracuse, Declan Curry (M)# -> Sacred Heart

Key
* = in the portal for 2024 season
# = Graduate Transfer
BOLD = most recent update
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

If the business school is accredited by, say AACSB, there is "oversight" of degree programs. If someone wants to go to an unaccredited program, they surely can. Will employers know the difference? Some will and some won't. But for most of the D1 programs that have business schools, they're all AACSB accredited. I can't speak to non-business school accreditations, but I suspect that most of those universities carry specialized accreditations for all of their graduate programs. So it's not like these are degree mills.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Wheels wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:00 pm
If the business school is accredited by, say AACSB, there is "oversight" of degree programs. If someone wants to go to an unaccredited program, they surely can. Will employers know the difference? Some will and some won't. But for most of the D1 programs that have business schools, they're all AACSB accredited. I can't speak to non-business school accreditations, but I suspect that most of those universities carry specialized accreditations for all of their graduate programs. So it's not like these are degree mills.
No, not like Corinthian or some other degree mill. But there is a question about what accreditation means, what the standards are, and how they are measured. To be clear, I was referring to all masters degrees, not just business degrees (which, as you mentioned, do have to cover certain things, though those things might be a waste for someone who already has a BMA). In general, bachelors, professional degrees, and Ph.D.s are more (officially and unofficially) standardized.
Bottom line is that the 5th year masters is changing collegiate lacrosse. The COVID extension was the foot-in-the-door. We'll see what the NC$$ does going forward.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Laxgunea wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:02 pm
Wheels wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:00 pm
No, not like Corinthian or some other degree mill. But there is a question about what accreditation means, what the standards are, and how they are measured. To be clear, I was referring to all masters degrees, not just business degrees (which, as you mentioned, do have to cover certain things, though those things might be a waste for someone who already has a BMA). In general, bachelors, professional degrees, and Ph.D.s are more (officially and unofficially) standardized.
Bottom line is that the 5th year masters is changing collegiate lacrosse. The COVID extension was the foot-in-the-door. We'll see what the NC$$ does going forward.
what do you mean we'll see what the nc$$ does going forward? pretty easy guess it'll be 5 to play 4.

do you think they're going to get into the business of what qualifies as a masters eligible program at a school?
Homer

Post by Homer »

Laxgunea wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:02 pm No, not like Corinthian or some other degree mill. But there is a question about what accreditation means, what the standards are, and how they are measured.
Accreditation is largely an exercise in confirming that you're spending enough on various inane bureaucratic line-items. This is potentially useful insofar as somebody running a pure scam is unlikely to invest up front in the kind of administrative bloat necessary to convince accreditors to check the box that you're a real college. Unfortunately, colleges are increasingly finding a way over that barrier, which is to have the college directly employ all the BS administrators required to secure accreditation, while contracting out the whole instructional enterprise to the exact same people who were previously running the unaccreditable scams.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Homer wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:15 am
Laxgunea wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:02 pm No, not like Corinthian or some other degree mill. But there is a question about what accreditation means, what the standards are, and how they are measured.
Accreditation is largely an exercise in confirming that you're spending enough on various inane bureaucratic line-items. This is potentially useful insofar as somebody running a pure scam is unlikely to invest up front in the kind of administrative bloat necessary to convince accreditors to check the box that you're a real college. Unfortunately, colleges are increasingly finding a way over that barrier, which is to have the college directly employ all the BS administrators required to secure accreditation, while contracting out the whole instructional enterprise to the exact same people who were previously running the unaccreditable scams.
Codified explicit rules create lots of arbitrage. And it’s an SRO so the filter is about as good as is for getting a real estate license or series 7.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Air Force: Aidan Tolen (A)
Brown: George Pike (M) #, Darian Cook (A) #, Cameron Fiore (G) #, Andy Demopoulos (G)
Colgate: Thor Adamec (LSM) #, Will Sidari (D) #, Ryan Decker (M) #-> Rutgers, Brian Minicus (A) # -> Georgetown
Fairfield: Kyle Borda (M) #, James Corasaniti (G) #, Tyler Wuchte (M) #, Trevor Ford (M) #, Patrick Drake (M) #, Brendan Dreyer (M) #, David Dorsett (M) #, Brian Reda (A) #
Harvard: Austin Madronic (A) #, Jackson Hartje (LSM) #, Oliver Hollo (LSM/D) #, Kyle Mullin(G) # ->Rutgers
LIU: Richie LaCalandra (A) -> OSU
Mount St. Mary’s: Jake Kreiger (M) #, Jared McMahon (A) #, Connor McMahon(M) #-> Bryant
North Carolina: Jacob Kelly (A) # ~> Georgetown, Nicky Solomon (A) # -> Georgetown, Chase Mullins (FO)
Syracuse: Tucker Dordevic (M) #->Georgetown, Mikey Berkman (A) #, Jack Savage (FO), Shahe Katchadurian (G), Jack Kennedy (D), Matteo Corsi (A/M)
Yale: Joe Neuman (FO) # -> Rutgers, Chris Fake (D) #, Brian Tevlin (M) #, Luke Eschbach (M) #

Division 2/3
Nichols: Scott Ehtrnberg (FO) # -> Merrimack

Key
# = Graduate Transfer
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

AreaLax wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:40 am Air Force: Aidan Tolen (A)
LIU: Richie LaCalandra (A) -> OSU

Division 2/3
Nichols: Scott Ehtrnberg (FO) # -> Merrimack

Key
# = Graduate Transfer
What happened to St Joes? I have a feeling about him and Knox on the same line of Knox comes back…
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Don’t know but per his IG he going to OSU
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Meyers getting after it.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

AreaLax wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:25 am Don’t know but per his IG he going to OSU
richie.png
richie.png (136.48 KiB) Viewed 1377 times

Post by 1766 »

There are people that aren't listed above that are transferring to other schools. At least two that I am aware of.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”