Next Programs To Win National Titles For The First Time?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Next Programs To Win National Titles For The First Time?

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Creasedive wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:16 pm It was a pretty bad choke. #2 seed losing at home. 😬
Del did it to UVA as well (08)

Towson to Denver (2016)

Army over Cuse (2010)

Bryant over Cuse (2014)

Number of close calls, Duke barely scraped by Richmond in 2019z

This isn’t an accurate perspective to say they choked. And saying at home is redundant at best, a non sequitur really.
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

HGK wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:30 pm
1766 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:05 pm
ICGrad wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:33 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:25 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:47 am -Georgetown played in a very down Big East Conference.
Well, the better team that day...it's a stretch to say definitely "better" otherwise. But your fundamental point is correct, Georgetown needs to actually win some rounds in the NCAA's before making claims. Can't blame injuries, they happen to everyone. Definitely can't be too "comfortable"...
Of course, the other angle is that maybe Georgetown just wasn't that good.

As gymman points out, the BE conference struggled through a down season this year. Georgetown posted a great record, but didn't play a single top 10 team after their (relatively early-season) loss to Princeton.

On the eave of the tourney, I suggested that they might be overrated and was roundly dismissed when I said I wouldn't be that surprised if they made an early exit. Aside from a couple of impressive early season wins (Penn and Notre Dame, both very solid wins), Georgetown turned in extremely solid performance against a slate of opponents who were mostly outside of the top 20. After the Richmond win (a nice win, but again...on March 12!) they played 3 more games against top 20 teams: Villanova x2 (19) and Denver (20). In the two+ months between their win over Richmond and their loss to Delaware, their toughest game was against #19 Villanova.

Yeah, they did more than take care of business, but they were hardly battle tested, and maybe they weren't nearly as good as their record and/or their ranking suggested.
They were clearly overrated.
Surprising to me there is this much negative banter about a school that has been to one Final Four and never played on Memorial Day. You can look at Hoya thread for years and it is optimism always but nobody ever says we are “going to win it all”. Yes they underachieved expectations this year and as a Hoya that sucks, but this program is legit and can “possibly “ contend for a National Championship in next few years if things break their way. Away from ACC , top of Big10 and the top IVY schools nobody else can really make that claim. Lot to be optimistic about for Hoyas going forward.
Well said. I think you have to take it as a compliment that the program is doing well enough to attract haters.

Landing Dordevic on top of the other transfers was a huge get for the Hoyas, and that is also going to attract attention — inevitably some of it negative.

As you said, there aren’t any Hoyas fans on here trying to overstate their teams greatness, which cannot also be said for a number of other teams posters. We’ve been through disappointment before with teams not being able to break through to Memorial Day weekend in the past. So, I think as a group we are pretty humble and measured with any prognostication. Having watched a lot of lacrosse and a lot of Hoyas teams, this years team was a great one with a few weaknesses that Delaware exploited well.

I think we were expecting next year to be a bit of a rebuilding year, but with the off-season additions it does look promising if the staff can integrate these players well.

We shall see what adjustments Warne makes to the schedule and strategy to be better prepared for the postseason going forward. He’s shown the ability to adapt successfully so far. Definitely a lot to be optimistic about next season and going forward.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:49 pm Geneva, I did state before the tournament that I believed GU was within that second tier, but not above it. I also stated that they should be wary of Cornell. And, to some degree I think they choked as well - they made some poor defensive plays at the end, and seemed really tight when shooting, uncharacteristically so. Don't think the 19.5% shooting effort was entirely down to Delaware's D. In terms of accountability, yeah, I did not expect them to get knocked out in the first round, but conversely would not have been surprised if they had progressed and then lost in the quarterfinals.

It's entirely possible for a team to earn the #2 seed (which Georgetown undoubtedly did), but still be overrated. They earned their seed based on strong early season performance, unblemished conference play, and a high RPI. Separate from that, the lacrosse media at large said for the better part of the year that they stood alone as the biggest threat to the Terps.

I don't always eat Cluck U, but when I do I prefer to go Nuclear. :shock: I would think my name would imply more debaucherous and drunken trips to that fine establishment.
I don’t disagree with a lot of what you are saying here except for the part where you say the lacrosse media was saying they “stood alone as the biggest thread to the Terps”. I don’t think that is accurate. Notre Dame, Virginia, Princeton were all regularly bandied about as giant killers. Cornell, on the other hand, was severely underrated. Holding Maryland to under 10 goals was an impressive performance.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

rolldodge wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:58 pm
HGK wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:30 pm
1766 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:05 pm
ICGrad wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:33 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:25 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:47 am -Georgetown played in a very down Big East Conference.
Well, the better team that day...it's a stretch to say definitely "better" otherwise. But your fundamental point is correct, Georgetown needs to actually win some rounds in the NCAA's before making claims. Can't blame injuries, they happen to everyone. Definitely can't be too "comfortable"...
Of course, the other angle is that maybe Georgetown just wasn't that good.

As gymman points out, the BE conference struggled through a down season this year. Georgetown posted a great record, but didn't play a single top 10 team after their (relatively early-season) loss to Princeton.

On the eave of the tourney, I suggested that they might be overrated and was roundly dismissed when I said I wouldn't be that surprised if they made an early exit. Aside from a couple of impressive early season wins (Penn and Notre Dame, both very solid wins), Georgetown turned in extremely solid performance against a slate of opponents who were mostly outside of the top 20. After the Richmond win (a nice win, but again...on March 12!) they played 3 more games against top 20 teams: Villanova x2 (19) and Denver (20). In the two+ months between their win over Richmond and their loss to Delaware, their toughest game was against #19 Villanova.

Yeah, they did more than take care of business, but they were hardly battle tested, and maybe they weren't nearly as good as their record and/or their ranking suggested.
They were clearly overrated.
Surprising to me there is this much negative banter about a school that has been to one Final Four and never played on Memorial Day. You can look at Hoya thread for years and it is optimism always but nobody ever says we are “going to win it all”. Yes they underachieved expectations this year and as a Hoya that sucks, but this program is legit and can “possibly “ contend for a National Championship in next few years if things break their way. Away from ACC , top of Big10 and the top IVY schools nobody else can really make that claim. Lot to be optimistic about for Hoyas going forward.
Well said. I think you have to take it as a compliment that the program is doing well enough to attract haters.

Landing Dordevic on top of the other transfers was a huge get for the Hoyas, and that is also going to attract attention — inevitably some of it negative.

As you said, there aren’t any Hoyas fans on here trying to overstate their teams greatness, which cannot also be said for a number of other teams posters. We’ve been through disappointment before with teams not being able to break through to Memorial Day weekend in the past. So, I think as a group we are pretty humble and measured with any prognostication. Having watched a lot of lacrosse and a lot of Hoyas teams, this years team was a great one with a few weaknesses that Delaware exploited well.

I think we were expecting next year to be a bit of a rebuilding year, but with the off-season additions it does look promising if the staff can integrate these players well.

We shall see what adjustments Warne makes to the schedule and strategy to be better prepared for the postseason going forward. He’s shown the ability to adapt successfully so far. Definitely a lot to be optimistic about next season and going forward.

I believe that this post sums it up pretty well. We forget that GU missed the tourney from 2008 to 2018 and has improved tremendously since 2017. Warne built the program up after a rough start, and developed talent well to do so. The facilities are much better with both the Thompson Center and Cooper Field so this past relative disadvantage was addressed.

Yes Delaware was a huge disappointment but they scouted GU well, had a great game plan and executed it. The incoming grad transfers must see GU as an attractive destination, and the 2022 and 2023 classes are solid, so there is definite cause for optimism. I felt that the weaknesses all year were the lack of midfield depth and a lack of speed/mobility at attack, and the incoming grad transfers and 2022 class should address this. Now it is up to the staff and players to be better prepared for the tourney.

As stated above Warne has adapted in the past so one can be hopeful that he will do so going forward. GU realized they needed to upgrade the schedule and did so in 2020, but the COVID problem delayed this for two years. Then this year after a major upgrade the conference schedule plus Loyola was weaker than usual, which one cannot blame on GU. In sum, I would rather be GU than many other programs outside of the top ACC, Big10 and Ivy programs.
Hoya

Post by Hoya »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:53 pm
Creasedive wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:16 pm It was a pretty bad choke. #2 seed losing at home. 😬

Towson to Denver (2016)

Army over Cuse (2010)

Bryant over Cuse (2014)

This isn’t an accurate perspective to say they choked. And saying at home is redundant at best, a non sequitur really.
I’d just ignore that guy. Clearly a troll account. 14 posts, vast majority directed towards negativity and most of that to Georgetown. My guess is Georgetown slept with his sister and never called back.
nms

Post by nms »

Hoya wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:01 pm

Towson to Denver (2016)

Army over Cuse (2010)

Bryant over Cuse (2014)

I’d just ignore that guy. Clearly a troll account. 14 posts, vast majority directed towards negativity and most of that to Georgetown. My guess is Georgetown slept with his sister and never called back.
Agreed. I also think that seeds #2 thru #7 were all dangerous and evenly matched. This year, there was Maryland and everybody else.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Daly is the biggest innovator of all the coaches listed. Brown came so close to a title already. It would not shock me to see Daly take his team to the top of the Ivy League. My question is whether he can recruit enough great players to compete for a title. His system works……
LynahFan

Post by LynahFan »

ICGrad wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:10 pm I'm not sure who you put @ #2 if not them.
Notre Dame!!!

(What did I win?)
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

With the expansion of lacrosse nationally there will be more and more quality players who don't go to the traditional powers. This will enable schools like a Delaware, Jacksonville, or Richmond to make a run for a title on a more consistent basis.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Delaware went to a FF in 2007.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Can anyone see a program with a roster not loaded with 4* and higher players winning it all this decade? Ie-like Loyola in 2012?
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

gymman1031 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:58 am Can anyone see a program with a roster not loaded with 4* and higher players winning it all this decade? Ie-like Loyola in 2012?
Sure, an Ivy (look how close Cornell just came).
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:37 am Delaware went to a FF in 2007.
Plus two other quarterfinals.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FannOLax wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:48 am
gymman1031 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:58 am Can anyone see a program with a roster not loaded with 4* and higher players winning it all this decade? Ie-like Loyola in 2012?
Well Lombardi flipped from mich so he must’ve been 5 stars since that’s all they have there who wildly underperform and need to rotate coaches every three years until one wins 10 straight titles.

Or did they repeal his stars when he decided he liked Ithaca better than Ann Arbor?
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Brown

Richmond

or

Harvard
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Cornell's best players aside from Adler are all 5 stars. Kirst, Follows, Long, Ierlan; Piatelli, Kelleher, Blake, Coyle all Top 50ish 4* recruits. Adler was an unranked 4*. They had plenty of 4 and 5*'s
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jrn19 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:06 pm
Cornell's best players aside from Adler are all 5 stars. Kirst, Follows, Long, Ierlan; Piatelli, Kelleher, Blake, Coyle all Top 50ish 4* recruits. Adler was an unranked 4*. They had plenty of 4 and 5*'s
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fLZubB22edw
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

nms wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:26 pm
Hoya wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:01 pm

Towson to Denver (2016)

Army over Cuse (2010)

Bryant over Cuse (2014)

Agreed. I also think that seeds #2 thru #7 were all dangerous and evenly matched. This year, there was Maryland and everybody else.
Talent-wise Georgetown and ND are the teams I expect to do it soon.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

I would also say that Georgetown seems to have that win-now mentality and they have added some plug-and-play kids with the goalie, as well as the additions that they have made at attack. Rutgers will take a step back. Navy could sneak in there based on their recruiting.

Post by 1766 »

I'm not sure I would definitively say that about Rutgers. There is a lot lost to graduation but there is more talent in the program than there has been, and a few transfers still hanging out there. Hard to say until that all shakes out.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”