Coaching Carousel-2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Laxbuck

Re: Coaching Carousel-2022

Post by Laxbuck »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:46 pm
10stone5 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:20 pm Well,

Pressler shouldn’t need the money,
so, growing the game in Texas sounds like a tremendous opportunity.
I like to think we beat him so bad in the NEC playoffs he thought he was still at OWU taking beatings from us and in his old age threw up his hands and decided “f**k it I’ll go to Texas”. Certainly have forgotten some of his revenge tour at Duke on us late 90s/early 2000s.
A complete ass whipping by Hobart. Should’ve saved a few for Saturday
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxbuck wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:42 pm

I like to think we beat him so bad in the NEC playoffs he thought he was still at OWU taking beatings from us and in his old age threw up his hands and decided “f**k it I’ll go to Texas”. Certainly have forgotten some of his revenge tour at Duke on us late 90s/early 2000s.
Two different teams those two days.

But there’s a long history when Hobart won all those (13 straight) D3 titles, Pressler could never beat them as head coach at Ohio Wesleyan in the 1980s before he left for Duke. Then he took every chance at duke and the early Bryant years when Hobart had a really rough stretch for a plethora of reasons from end of 2000s to the early Raymond years when he’d leave started in shooting and taking shots at guys late in games and generally petty revenge behavior. Once we cleaned things up 5-7yrs ago it became a bit of a back and forth. 2016 was sweet for us, they hammered us in the reg season then we beat them for the NEC title, in 2017 we hammered them in the reg season then they stole the NEC title in a zone packed slopfest NEC final.

Long history. I respect him to some degree-not like I respect Cuse and Cornell even though I want to take a dump in their soup every season. But I enjoy when we can take it to him a lot.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Coach P is authentic. Gave a lot of credibility to the NEC. Really strong coaching tree in Chemotti/Wray/Cassese. He will be missed.
KingPrat

Post by KingPrat »

InsiderRoll wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:30 am I just find it odd that so few lacrosse coaches remain in coaching after getting very far and then getting fired. In most other sports those coaches are still considered very good coaches and usually get other chances.
I think it's difficult to wrap your head around stepping back into an assistant position, whether it's a top assistant or, in some cases, volunteer. It's a huge financial blow to take that step back, and I'm sure many find positions that pay far better, and have less stress associated outside of coaching.
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:15 am
Haus chose d3 because he didn’t have options. There a million others. Think Svec gets another HC shot? Morrissey? Guy & Marc Van arsdale? There’s a bias towards the unknown upside potential for all but the top 10 jobs at any given time.
I know this is a week old, but I hope you don't mean Jim Morrissey?

He was fired from two straight jobs for interactions with athletes that were, well, awful. I would assume he's done...

Also, GVA ain't choosing to go anywhere. Pretty cushy gig up there in Waterville, regardless of W/L results.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Laxbuck wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:18 pm Coach P is authentic. Gave a lot of credibility to the NEC. Really strong coaching tree in Chemotti/Wray/Cassese. He will be missed.
Got to know him and his wife a little bit when I worked there. Mike was always a little quiet, a little reserved but had a great dry sense of humor. His wife was hilarious and outgoing. They both felt a deep sense of loyalty to Bryant, especially to Ron Matchley, who hired Mike after the Duke fiasco. Mike also did a lot to grow the game in Rhode Island (via the RI Bulldogs club program). You could tell that the scars the family bore after the Duke fiasco were still deep. He wouldn't talk about it much if at all, but his wife would give you a sense of the pain they all went through. Wonderful family. He did so much for Bryant. To say that he left the place a better place than when he arrived doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of what he did there. From the transition to D1, to the facilities (which are really good), to the high profile wins, to putting the program on the map...all Mike. I'd hate to be the person who succeeds him!

Congrats to Mike and his family. I hope he enjoys the new job.
Adam$treet

Post by Adam$treet »

I suppose if you believe he's moving to Dallas to live, after his Div.1 retirement, it makes sense.
Or it could be a bridge year between Bryant and another Div.1 job, even at Pressler's age. As has been mentioned he's a private person and we'll probably have to wait a while to see what develops.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

KingPrat wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:34 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:30 am I just find it odd that so few lacrosse coaches remain in coaching after getting very far and then getting fired. In most other sports those coaches are still considered very good coaches and usually get other chances.
I think it's difficult to wrap your head around stepping back into an assistant position, whether it's a top assistant or, in some cases, volunteer. It's a huge financial blow to take that step back, and I'm sure many find positions that pay far better, and have less stress associated outside of coaching.
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:15 am
Haus chose d3 because he didn’t have options. There a million others. Think Svec gets another HC shot? Morrissey? Guy & Marc Van arsdale? There’s a bias towards the unknown upside potential for all but the top 10 jobs at any given time.
I know this is a week old, but I hope you don't mean Jim Morrissey?

He was fired from two straight jobs for interactions with athletes that were, well, awful. I would assume he's done...

Also, GVA ain't choosing to go anywhere. Pretty cushy gig up there in Waterville, regardless of W/L results.
That was my point. If you underperform expectations you are relegated to being out of the mix. As far as everyone was concerned Haus failed miserably at UNC. Every year people would question whether they even deserved to be in the playoffs and they’d get knocked out early if even in. He was 58-52 and people expected Scroggs/Klarman and got the Len Wilkins on lacrosse. Breschis first year they go 12-6 and didn’t see a sub ten win session until 2017 and he had 3 mediocre years and folks around here expect him to get fired.

The financial blow and stepping back isn’t always true. Dylan Sheridan did a lot with what he had and Cleveland State and made that choice. DeLuca can be harsh on kids but he’s winning now. It’s never as simple as one path or the other but I’m saying it’s not the coaches choice often/most of the time as to whether they get another gig. Thompson and Seremet were thrown under the bus at their schools. Brecht got suspended but brought backs. DeLuca was whatever at cornell and then a subversive figure at Harvard and now looking good at del. Kerwick left Jax to be assistant again at GTown then got into trouble then fell into Delucas seat at Cornell. If anything it’s got a lot to do with 1.
Who are your rabbis and what tree did you grow from and is that tree considered hot or poisoned in this insular clubby world.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

2 notable Bryant assistants of the past under Pressler are Brad Ross (now at Navy) and Pete Toner (head coach Gettysburg). Wonder if they’d be interested, assuming it is open to a search.

Ross looks to be in the mix at Providence as well. Would think news breaks there soon.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:24 am 2 notable Bryant assistants of the past under Pressler are Brad Ross (now at Navy) and Pete Toner (head coach Gettysburg). Wonder if they’d be interested, assuming it is open to a search.

Ross looks to be in the mix at Providence as well. Would think news breaks there soon.
Bryant should call Pressler’s life long friend JB Clarke and get him (and his four rings) on a plane asap.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Wheels wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:13 pm
Laxbuck wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:18 pm Coach P is authentic. Gave a lot of credibility to the NEC. Really strong coaching tree in Chemotti/Wray/Cassese. He will be missed.
Got to know him and his wife a little bit when I worked there. Mike was always a little quiet, a little reserved but had a great dry sense of humor. His wife was hilarious and outgoing. They both felt a deep sense of loyalty to Bryant, especially to Ron Matchley, who hired Mike after the Duke fiasco. Mike also did a lot to grow the game in Rhode Island (via the RI Bulldogs club program). You could tell that the scars the family bore after the Duke fiasco were still deep. He wouldn't talk about it much if at all, but his wife would give you a sense of the pain they all went through. Wonderful family. He did so much for Bryant. To say that he left the place a better place than when he arrived doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of what he did there. From the transition to D1, to the facilities (which are really good), to the high profile wins, to putting the program on the map...all Mike. I'd hate to be the person who succeeds him!

Congrats to Mike and his family. I hope he enjoys the new job.
This was a really thoughtful reflection of his time there. The 60 Minutes piece on Coach P back in 2015 really shed light on his journey at Bryant. As did the old Lax.com series about him and Zack Greer. What an incredibly loyal and virtuous guy. Bryant was lucky to have him!
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

Laxbuck wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:17 pm
Dux917 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:49 pm
Kismet wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:24 pm Media reports today indicating that Mike Pressler is stepping down as HC at Bryant.
Wouldn't be shocked if Bryant simply elevates associate head coach Casey Brodersen to head coach.
Would be surprised if it’s not Casey.
+1 x2
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:45 am
FlyEaglesFly wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:24 am 2 notable Bryant assistants of the past under Pressler are Brad Ross (now at Navy) and Pete Toner (head coach Gettysburg). Wonder if they’d be interested, assuming it is open to a search.

Bryant should call Pressler’s life long friend JB Clarke and get him (and his four rings) on a plane asap.
I'm not saying he isn't a capable coach, but I feel like winning (at the Limestone level) at the D2 level and D1 level are very different.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Switzerland wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:42 am

I'm not saying he isn't a capable coach, but I feel like winning (at the Limestone level) at the D2 level and D1 level are very different.
See TW johnson
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Head Coach
Providence
St. John’s.
Bryant
NJIT

Assistant Coach
PSU Defense
Hopkins Offense -> Crawley
Lehigh Offense
Bellarmine Offense
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

AreaLax wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:51 am Head Coach
Providence
St. John’s.
Bryant
NJIT

Assistant Coach
PSU Defense
Lehigh Offense
Bellarmine Offense
Do Queens and Lindenwood have coaches yet?
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:22 am
AreaLax wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:51 am Head Coach
Providence
St. John’s.
Bryant
NJIT

Assistant Coach
PSU Defense
Lehigh Offense
Bellarmine Offense
Do Queens and Lindenwood have coaches yet?
Chris Panos is head coach at Queens
Kyle Hannan (former Mercer HC) is asst
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Thanks. I could’ve probably googled it but was lazy so appreciate it
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:46 am
Switzerland wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:42 am

See TW johnson
The question is rather would JB want it? He has what is one of the best D2 jobs at Tampa with a loaded roster from previous coach Whipple. Should be the odds on favorite for next year. My guess is that he has only so many years left in coaching, and the Tampa job is a good one to eventually get into retirement when he wants, without quite the pressure of a D1 job.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:09 pm
Laxbuck wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:42 pm

Two different teams those two days.

But there’s a long history when Hobart won all those (13 straight) D3 titles, Pressler could never beat them as head coach at Ohio Wesleyan in the 1980s before he left for Duke. Then he took every chance at duke and the early Bryant years when Hobart had a really rough stretch for a plethora of reasons from end of 2000s to the early Raymond years when he’d leave started in shooting and taking shots at guys late in games and generally petty revenge behavior. Once we cleaned things up 5-7yrs ago it became a bit of a back and forth. 2016 was sweet for us, they hammered us in the reg season then we beat them for the NEC title, in 2017 we hammered them in the reg season then they stole the NEC title in a zone packed slopfest NEC final.

Long history. I respect him to some degree-not like I respect Cuse and Cornell even though I want to take a dump in their soup every season. But I enjoy when we can take it to him a lot.
Ohio Wesleyan was robbed in 1987. Beat Hobart in the regular season was #1 as the season ended (I believe) and was forced to go up to Hobart for championship game, I believe.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

[/quote]
Ohio Wesleyan was robbed in 1987. Beat Hobart in the regular season was #1 as the season ended (I believe) and was forced to go up to Hobart for championship game, I believe.
[/quote]

Damn highway robbery, I tell ya!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”