Bourbon

General Chatter
get it to x

Re: Bourbon

Post by get it to x »

ohmilax34 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:48 am I'm planning on being in the Charlottesville, VA area in April. Are there any whiskey bars or distilleries in that area that are must do's? Or a particular bottle I should bring home?
Have not had any of their bourbon but it has a good rep. Between DC and Richmond on I-95.

https://asmithbowman.com/visit-us/
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

get it to x wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:07 am
ohmilax34 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:48 am I'm planning on being in the Charlottesville, VA area in April. Are there any whiskey bars or distilleries in that area that are must do's? Or a particular bottle I should bring home?
Have not had any of their bourbon but it has a good rep. Between DC and Richmond on I-95.

Was is them or a different Bowman that made Virginia Gentleman? Not what I would have called a sipper, but it "helped" me on my way though college.... :lol:
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Not sure which way you will be traveling....but there is Ragged Branch Distillery in that area, you can get their products at any of the Virginia ABC store.

Another one I really enjoyed is Copper Fox in Sperryville (about an hour North) Did the tour and brought home a couple bottles....you can also snag their bottles in most Virginia ABC stores..at one time they made a Wasmund's Whiskey in for the owner RIck Wasmund, supposedly it is now renamed with a Copper FOx label.

And don't speed down there....Va. State Police are the worst when it comes to a micro fraction over the limit, traffic court is certainly a cash cow for them.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:57 pm
Not sure which way you will be traveling....but there is Ragged Branch Distillery in that area, you can get their products at any of the Virginia ABC store.

Another one I really enjoyed is Copper Fox in Sperryville (about an hour North) Did the tour and brought home a couple bottles....you can also snag their bottles in most Virginia ABC stores..at one time they made a Wasmund's Whiskey in for the owner RIck Wasmund, supposedly it is now renamed with a Copper FOx label.

And don't speed down there....Va. State Police are the worst when it comes to a micro fraction over the limit, traffic court is certainly a cash cow for them.
Thanks!!!
NoLeft

Post by NoLeft »

HooDat wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:18 am

Was is them or a different Bowman that made Virginia Gentleman? Not what I would have called a sipper, but it "helped" me on my way though college.... :lol:
Yes, A Smith Bowman finished the bourbon from a first distill by Buffalo Trace
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Gentleman

Bibo, ergo sum
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Best place I could think of for this (unless the mod wants to move this to politics).

Congratulations, You’re Already Boycotting Russian Vodka
... today’s Stolichnaya comes from Latvia, a loyal member of NATO.
I bet I am not the only one who did not know this.

Edit: It might be more complicated:
SPI, the company controlled by Yuri Shefler, produces Stolichnaya in Latvia at Latvijas Balzams, using Latvian water but alcohol from a distillery in Tambov, Russia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolichna ... on_process
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Sipping Wild Turkey Rare Breed, rain falling outside, and watching The Great Debaters. Life is good. Seems reminiscent of this place.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:06 pm Sipping Wild Turkey Rare Breed, rain falling outside, and watching The Great Debaters. Life is good. Seems reminiscent of this place.
Life is indeed good! Have a sip for me!
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

NoLeft wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:00 pm

Bibo, ergo sum
Picked up a bottle of Isaac Bowman Port finished. Good stuff!
a fan

Post by a fan »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:31 pm

Bibo, ergo sum
That reminds me.....did y'all get a chance to try the Dickel & Leopold Rye? If not, shoot me a note, and I'll do my best to get you some.

Have a great weekend, fellas....
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

a fan wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:54 pm

Bibo, ergo sum
That reminds me.....did y'all get a chance to try the Dickel & Leopold Rye? If not, shoot me a note, and I'll do my best to get you some.

I haven’t tried it yet.
I got a bottle at my local spot but gifted it to a co-worker who retired and is a Dickel drinker. Still waiting on his review! 😂 I’ll let you know what he thinks.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

Bibo, ergo sum

Still sitting on my bar, unopened. Not sure what special occasion I am waiting for, maybe Father’s Day. It took 3 stores to find it. My local store had it while Total Wine did not. It’s $60 more than I ever spent on liquor before. I once spent almost $400 on a bottle of Krug Vintage Brut Rose. Along with Chateau D’qyuem probably the most delicious alcoholic beverage I have had.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

get it to x wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:08 am

Bibo, ergo sum

Still sitting on my bar, unopened. Not sure what special occasion I am waiting for, maybe Father’s Day. It took 3 stores to find it. My local store had it while Total Wine did not. It’s $60 more than I ever spent on liquor before. I once spent almost $400 on a bottle of Krug Vintage Brut Rose. Along with Chateau D’qyuem probably the most delicious alcoholic beverage I have had.
I tend to do the same thing.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:21 pm
get it to x wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:08 am

Bibo, ergo sum

I tend to do the same thing.
Father's day, fellas! Have a drink with your dad. That would make my day...... and you can always ask me for replacements.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Anyone had any new pours worth sharing?

I've been finishing off a Blanton's I opened for a graduation toast, I tend to use these for celebrations since most people think it's the best bourbon on the market. Snagged a couple Yellwstone's, they are not bad at all for the price point in the mid $30's

I also picked up a store pick of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof at 123.6 proof....super hot. Strangely I had some JD Coy Hill at 140 proof and it was nowhere near as hot as the ECBP.
~Livy
bmorelax

Post by bmorelax »

My son and some of his lax teammates are on a 6 week road trip across the country. While they were in ST Louis last week, they went to Salt and Smoke bbq. My son sent me a screen shot of their bourbon list asking for advice on what to order. At first glance, I recommended Col. EH Taylor small batch for $6.00, then I saw Weller Special Reserve for only $4.00. Unbelievable price and they all enjoyed a couple of Weller on the rocks!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

bmorelax wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:41 pm My son and some of his lax teammates are on a 6 week road trip across the country. While they were in ST Louis last week, they went to Salt and Smoke bbq. My son sent me a screen shot of their bourbon list asking for advice on what to order. At first glance, I recommended Col. EH Taylor small batch for $6.00, then I saw Weller Special Reserve for only $4.00. Unbelievable price and they all enjoyed a couple of Weller on the rocks!
WOW.....what an amazing price for EHT, around here its double that.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

The entire whisk(e)y & tequila/mezcal industry has crammed about 30 years of growth from two factors: 1. Covid....leading to folks with stable, work-at-home jobs getting into whiskey because they didn't have to worry about DUI's, and could skype with Head Distillers in countless whiskey/agave club events.

2. The Great Wealth Transfer (all over financial wonk sites). Boomers handing $68 Trillion over to their kids and grandkids in the next 8 years. So Gen X and Boomers will be beyond flush, and conspicuous consumption (trophy whiskies) will accelerate.

Had a Exec at the top of our field tell me that they're working on $150-$500 bottles of spirits as fast as they can. And he said no matter what they do, they won't be able to keep up with demand over the next 20 years.

Suffice it to say, that pricing will go UP for whiskies/tequilas with good stories behind them. And age statements without support stories will fall.....

The 1st world is dividing into haves and have nots at an accelerate pace that we've never seen before.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”