2022 Tewaaraton Finalists

D1 Womens Lacrosse
ThreeSeconds

Re: 2022 Tewaaraton Finalists

Post by ThreeSeconds »

Ortega beat North and BC three times this season. In addition, was ACC Attacker of the year over North and ACC Tournament MVP over North.
DMac

Post by DMac »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:10 pm Really liked Belichick’s speech
Completely agree, he was terrific.

Maybe the only surprise of the night was
Pietramala in an orange tie...gotta love that.
Love what KAH said about Gait too.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:20 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:04 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:36 pm Hey all, not much of a womens lacrosse expert, but I did watch both semis as well as the championship. Charlotte will almost undoubtedly win the Tewey. Ortega is a great player. Charlotte was a transformative player. Young girls in Florida now spin the ball in their sticks like Charlotte North. It’s quite something. Her impact is nationwide.

Personally, I’d like Aurora Cordingley to win simply because of her wondrous name. DocB and I agree on nothing but the almost mystically captivating name ‘Aurora Cordingley’. For that alone, there can be few better Tewey winners.

In more sobering news, you guys should be happy that the last three games of the year were absolute spellbinding tv events. Instead of useless grade school insults, you should be bonding over a few beers the fact that the woman’s game had such an incredible finale. The venue was sublime on tv. The games beyond perfect, even if you lost. You all should be on a major high.

The semis and championship were some of the best lacrosse I’ve ever seen.

Peter Brown...nice to hear a different voice.
So you claim that Charlotte North is a "Transformative" player. That is a term that has been tossed around alot about her. They seemed to get that one in on every BC game. Another word for an overused term is cliche.
Here's what Transformative means : causing or able to cause an important and lasting change in someone or something.

So having said that, explain how CN is Transformative? I can say that about the following Laxers : Jen Adams, Christine Lindsay, Kelly Amonte Hiller, Hannah Neilsen, Amy Appelt Slade, Kylie Ohlmiller, Taylor Cummings, Selena Lasota.

Has the world of Social Media worked to make CN bigger by numbers, but not necessarily by deeds? Do the above mentioned players suffer because there was no Twitter, Instagram or Snapchat?

I’m out of my depth discussing her. My only frames of reference are the games this past weekend and some daughters of four friends of mine in Florida. The girls emulate her stick skill. They all knew Charlotte North as the final was being played, and at halftime they went outside and pretended to be her shooting on goal and I’m in Florida, not exactly ground zero in lacrosse. That seems to say something, no?

I don’t know the sport all that well, tbh. So I’m not really qualified to weigh in, if you’re seeking a substantive debate.

Trying to catch up on the candidates, I gather Ortega has more PIL income? And Cordingley just seems very cool.

That’s all.
Sadly it used to be more than just flashy shooting which North epitomizes. True team play, making teamates around you better - while still setting records and in JOs same leading your team to an ACC and NCAA championship isn’t as important as the wind up shot and “oooo look what I can do “ shots
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Nice to see the better and more dominant player win (again). As good as Ortega is, Charlotte is just better and demands even more attention on the field by opposing defenses. The draw is a differentiator as well. The award very rarely goes to a straight attacker. The committee seems to value players that impact the game beyond scoring.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Lax101 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:28 pm Nice to see the better and more dominant player win (again). As good as Ortega is, Charlotte is just better and demands even more attention on the field by opposing defenses. The draw is a differentiator as well. The award very rarely goes to a straight attacker. The committee seems to value players that impact the game beyond scoring.
Well said.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

All, no personal attacks...
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Lax101 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:28 pm Nice to see the better and more dominant player win (again). As good as Ortega is, Charlotte is just better and demands even more attention on the field by opposing defenses. The draw is a differentiator as well. The award very rarely goes to a straight attacker. The committee seems to value players that impact the game beyond scoring.
Not better
More flashy
Way more hyped
And JO def impacted the game beyond scoring. She made those around her better and enabled them to win the championship this year. Something North was unable to do. Esp in championship game.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

admin wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:04 pm All, no personal attacks...

Hey, please stop doing this. If you're going to suspend people, then just do it. I told you about my personal situation a couple of weeks ago and you still haven't done squatola! Don't just talk about it, be about it. And dole out the punishments equally.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

North, again? Disagree with that selection and feel like Ortega was caught in the "last year's winner didn't do anything that would warrant her not winning it again" syndrome.

Here's are some Facts : Since the inception of the T award in 2001, on the Women's side, there have been 5(FIVE) players who have won the award multiple times(2 or more). In that same time, on the Men's side, there have only been 2(TWO)!

This is food for thought.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

LarryGamLax wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:12 am
admin wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:04 pm All, no personal attacks...

Hey, please stop doing this. If you're going to suspend people, then just do it. I told you about my personal situation a couple of weeks ago and you still haven't done squatola! Don't just talk about it, be about it. And dole out the punishments equally.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
Sunnylax

Post by Sunnylax »

North 1-5 against UNC,1-8 if you throw in her time at Duke....
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Laxfan500 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:17 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:36 pm Hey all, not much of a womens lacrosse expert, but I did watch both semis as well as the championship. Charlotte will almost undoubtedly win the Tewey. Ortega is a great player. Charlotte was a transformative player. Young girls in Florida now spin the ball in their sticks like Charlotte North. It’s quite something. Her impact is nationwide.

Personally, I’d like Aurora Cordingley to win simply because of her wondrous name. DocB and I agree on nothing but the almost mystically captivating name ‘Aurora Cordingley’. For that alone, there can be few better Tewey winners.

In more sobering news, you guys should be happy that the last three games of the year were absolute spellbinding tv events. Instead of useless grade school insults, you should be bonding over a few beers the fact that the woman’s game had such an incredible finale. The venue was sublime on tv. The games beyond perfect, even if you lost. You all should be on a major high.

So you claim that Charlotte North is a "Transformative" player. That is a term that has been tossed around alot about her. They seemed to get that one in on every BC game. Another word for an overused term is cliche.
Here's what Transformative means : causing or able to cause an important and lasting change in someone or something.

So having said that, explain how CN is Transformative? I can say that about the following Laxers : Jen Adams, Christine Lindsay, Kelly Amonte Hiller, Hannah Neilsen, Amy Appelt Slade, Kylie Ohlmiller, Taylor Cummings, Selena Lasota.

Has the world of Social Media worked to make CN bigger by numbers, but not necessarily by deeds? Do the above mentioned players suffer because there was no Twitter, Instagram or Snapchat?

I’m out of my depth discussing her. My only frames of reference are the games this past weekend and some daughters of four friends of mine in Florida. The girls emulate her stick skill. They all knew Charlotte North as the final was being played, and at halftime they went outside and pretended to be her shooting on goal and I’m in Florida, not exactly ground zero in lacrosse. That seems to say something, no?

I don’t know the sport all that well, tbh. So I’m not really qualified to weigh in, if you’re seeking a substantive debate.

Trying to catch up on the candidates, I gather Ortega has more PIL income? And Cordingley just seems very cool.

That’s all.
Sadly it used to be more than just flashy shooting which North epitomizes. True team play, making teamates around you better - while still setting records and in JOs same leading your team to an ACC and NCAA championship isn’t as important as the wind up shot and “oooo look what I can do “ shots

Again, no expert, but I think Charlotte North is far more than a ‘flashy shooter’. I wasn’t a huge fan of her shouting during the face offs, but maybe that’s normal? The other girls never did that. That’s as annoying to me as a tennis player who loudly grunts during strokes.

In the end though, Ortega seems like she’s a better marketing attraction; she seems to be getting a lot of corporate promotion.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

DMac wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:43 pm

That’s all.
Now that you've dipped your toe in the waters of wlax, Peter, I'll give you a warning, it's pretty easy to get hooked on. Watch a few games, learn a little about the game and it becomes a joy to watch. It's a fantastic game. Kinda good to see you in these here parts, should be interesting.

Agreed.

I picked probably the three best games to ever watch, to be fair. The comebacks in the semis were so intense. And on television, it just looked amazing. Packed stands sunny weather great play.

These girls are the real deal. Incredible athleticism. And what I study the most, coaching: all the coach interviews I have heard are really remarkable displays of intelligence, emotional IQ, and poise. All four semi team coaches are remarkable people. I’m sure that goes for teams not in the final four, too.

It’s easy to see why lacrosse is literally booming in Florida. A ton of girls and boys play down here, and they’re getting better every year.
DMac

Post by DMac »

DMac wrote
Now that you've dipped your toe in the waters of wlax, Peter, I'll give you a warning, it's pretty easy to get hooked on. Watch a few games, learn a little about the game and it becomes a joy to watch. It's a fantastic game. Kinda good to see you in these here parts, should be interesting.
Peter Brown wrote
Agreed.

I picked probably the three best games to ever watch, to be fair. The comebacks in the semis were so intense. And on television, it just looked amazing. Packed stands sunny weather great play.

These girls are the real deal. Incredible athleticism. And what I study the most, coaching: all the coach interviews I have heard are really remarkable displays of intelligence, emotional IQ, and poise. All four semi team coaches are remarkable people. I’m sure that goes for teams not in the final four, too.
Indeed, the wlaxers stole the show this Memorial Day week-end.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Congratulations to all five Tewaaraton finalists. They each had remarkable seasons and served as role models for a new generation of women's lacrosse. Particular congratulations go to Charlotte North who created unprecedented excitement among young girls aspiring to someday perform on the same stage. There is no doubt that Charlotte has grown the game in an energetic, classy and positive way. She should be very proud of her legacy, even though she would have wanted one more NC.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Sunnylax wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:42 am North 1-5 against UNC, 1-8 if you throw in her time at Duke....
1-4 and 1-7 to be precise. In 8 games vs the Heels, North tallied 22 goals, 4 assists, 26 points and 26 draw controls. Who else did anything close against UNC during North's career?

North Carolina lost only 5 games vs ACC teams during North's career (2018 to 2022)—once to Notre Dame and 4 times to BC. So Hawryschuk and all the other dominant scorers during that period never beat UNC the way North did having played them as many times as she did. Who would qualify on Notre Dame during that ’18-’22 period because of the one win the Irish had vs the Heels? The only player I can think of is Maddie Howe, but she’s not in North’s or Hawryschuk’s class. Seems North happened to play North Carolina more than anyone else during that time. The one win she does have is huge however—the ’21 NCAA semifinals when the undefeated #1 Heels went down to the upstart Boston College Eagles, with North figuring in 3 of BC’s 11 goals vs UNC on the way to a national championship and a Tewwy. Who else can claim a bigger impact against the Heels than Charlotte North during that period?

Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:43 am
Laxfan500 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:17 pm

That’s all.

Again, no expert, but I think Charlotte North is far more than a ‘flashy shooter’. I wasn’t a huge fan of her shouting during the face offs, but maybe that’s normal? The other girls never did that. That’s as annoying to me as a tennis player who loudly grunts during strokes.

In the end though, Ortega seems like she’s a better marketing attraction; she seems to be getting a lot of corporate promotion.
The shouting during faceoffs as an opponent you should make annoying shouts at the exact same time to drown out what she is communicating just like a annoying face guard strategy. Destroy the communications and get under the skin.
Sunnylax

Post by Sunnylax »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:04 am
Sunnylax wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:42 am North 1-5 against UNC, 1-8 if you throw in her time at Duke....
1-4 and 1-7 to be precise. In 8 games vs the Heels, North tallied 22 goals, 4 assists, 26 points and 26 draw controls. Who else did anything close against UNC during North's career?

North Carolina lost only 5 games vs ACC teams during North's career (2018 to 2022)—once to Notre Dame and 4 times to BC. So Hawryschuk and all the other dominant scorers during that period never beat UNC the way North did having played them as many times as she did. Who would qualify on Notre Dame during that ’18-’22 period because of the one win the Irish had vs the Heels? The only player I can think of is Maddie Howe, but she’s not in North’s or Hawryschuk’s class. Seems North happened to play North Carolina more than anyone else during that time. The one win she does have is huge however—the ’21 NCAA semifinals when the undefeated #1 Heels went down to the upstart Boston College Eagles, with North figuring in 3 of BC’s 11 goals vs UNC on the way to a national championship and a Tewwy. Who else can claim a bigger impact against the Heels than Charlotte North during that period?

on how many shot attempts?! I'm sure you'll look that up so I won't bother but I know in several of those games, she had a low shooting percentage. But be the troll and do your research because you are a) a troll and b) a whiner that must have the last word. :roll:
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

And why does this all matter. CN is the better player and UNC has historically been the better team. We can all agree on that. CN ha always been a slight notch above JO just like Cummings was a slight notch above Treanor. Team USA thinks so, the pro-league thinks so and the Tewaarton Committee thinks so.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Lax101 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:44 am And why does this all matter. CN is the better player and UNC has historically been the better team. We can all agree on that. CN ha always been a slight notch above JO just like Cummings was a slight notch above Treanor. Team USA thinks so, the pro-league thinks so and the Tewaarton Committee thinks so.
Definite bias in sports exists . You don’t think the fact that Cummings played for Maryland had anything to do with her winning. Cannizzaros team won the natty. She lost the Tewaaraton but won the Honda award - best college player . As far as US is concerned don’t think some isnt political and I don’t mean Levy. JO doesn’t take the draw and of course that hurts her. CN is a more aggressive shooter JO better shooting percentage, better SOG and more overall points. JO unquestionably made her teamates around her better . I’m sure winning the NC trumps the tewey in her book. As far as success. North 1 NC, JO 1 NC and 4 ACC Chanpionships and 2 time ACCMVP. As a true team player I’m sure JO cares more about those wins.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”