Transfer Portal 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Transfer Portal 2023

Post by Farfromgeneva »

They go to McIntyre which isn’t the same but often gets the veneer of being the same .
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
molo

Post by molo »

As far as I know, Darden is still for people who have work experience. Two of my hs classmates were also on my class at the college at UVA and went to Darden to get MBAs after working for a couple of years, My neighbor, an engineer from NC State did likewise. I think the UVA grad business grad student Jax players do a master’s in the McIntire School of Commerce, which was back in my time where undergrad business majors took their last two years after doing their first two years in the college.
I know that Moore was in a different grad program. A few, notoriously Streep, the Bucknell grad who went down on an assault and battery beef, went to the Curry School of Education. I know that today’s players seem unlikely to pursue education as a career, but unless things have changed dramatically, it would not be hard to be enrolled full time in an M. Ed. program and play a sport. I don’t think it would be possible to do so in an MA program in,
for example, the humanities, social sciences, or natural sciences,
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Air Force: Aidan Tolen (A)
Army: Marcus Hudgins (D)
Bellarmine: Matt Ury (LSM) #
Binghamton: Teddy Dolan (G) #-> Maryland, Kevin Winkoff (A) #
Boston U.: Christian Brofft (M)
Brown: George Pike (M) #, Darian Cook (A) #, Cameron Fiore (G) #, Andy Demopoulos (G)
Bryant: Logan McGovern (A) #
Bucknell: Alston Tarry (A) #
Colgate: Thor Adamec (LSM) #, Will Sidari (D) #, Ryan Decker (M) #-> Rutgers, Brian Minicus (A) # -> Georgetown
Dartmouth: Peter Rizzotti (LSM) #, Danny Hincks (G) #->Georgetown
Delaware: Peter Ripperger (G) #
Denver: Tim Sheehan (M), Ethan Kriss (FO), Alex Simmons (A/M) # -> Syracuse
Drexel: Brennan Greenwald (LSM) #
Fairfield: Kyle Borda (M) #, James Corasaniti (G) #, Tyler Wuchte (M) #, Trevor Ford (M) #, Patrick Drake (M) #, Brendan Dreyer (M) #, David Dorsett (M) #, Brian Reda (A) #
Georgetown: Dylan Watson (A) # -> Jacksonville
Harvard: Austin Madronic (A) #, Jackson Hartje (LSM) #, Oliver Hollo (LSM/D) #
High Point: Devon Buckshot (A), Tyler Hendrycks (A)
Hobart: Derrek Madonna (M) #, Ryan Dickson (FO) #
Hofstra: Jacob Addeche (G) #
Holy Cross: Peter Dobbs (G) #, Chris Conlin (D) #-> Notre Dame, AJ Fox (G) #
Lehigh: Tommy Schelling (A) #, Cole Kirst (A) # -> Syracuse
LIU: Richie LaCalandra (A) -> St. Joe's
Loyola: Riley Seay (M) #, Patrick Yowan (G) and Joey Annetta (D)
Marquette: Hudson Thomson (A), Russell Melendez (A)-> Hopkins
Maryland: Jack Schirtzer (D), Michael Ubriaco (LSM) #
Mercer: Sean Goldsmith (A) # -> UNC
Michigan: Ronald Fisher (M), John Kiracofe (G)#, Gavin Legg (LSM) #
Mount St. Mary’s: Jake Kreiger (M) #, Jared McMahon (A) #, Connor McMahon(M) #-> Bryant
North Carolina: Jacob Kelly (A) # ~> Georgetown, Nicky Solomon (A) # -> Georgetown, Chase Mullins (FO)
Notre Dame: Davis Allen (M) # ->Fairfield Griffin Hawthorne (D) #
Penn State: Brody Firestein (M), Lake Baker (FO)
Providence: Richie Hughson (FO)-> Penn State
Quinnipiac: Owen Boss (A), Will Abbott (M) #
Richmond: Griffin Kology (D)
Robert Morris: James Christoforatos (D) #
Sacred Heart: Donovan Lacey (M) # -> Maryland
Saint Joseph’s: Jake Engelke (A)
Siena: Sean Swenson (D)
St. John's: Jonathan Huber (A) #-> Stony Brook
Stony Brook: Anthony Palma (G) #
Syracuse: Tucker Dordevic (M) #->Georgetown, Mikey Berkman (A) #, Jack Savage (FO), Shahe Katchadurian (G), Jack Kennedy (D), Matteo Corsi (A/M)
Towson: Mo Sillah (LSM) #, Drew Martin (M) #
UMass Lowell: Conor Foley (A)
UMBC: Nick Dupuis (A)
Vermont: Thomas McConvey (M) # -> UVA, Salvatore Iaria (M)
Virginia: Corbin Switzer (D), Jack Simmons (M) # -> Notre Dame
Wagner: Stephen Dwyer (A) # -> St. Joe's
Yale: Joe Neuman (FO) # -> Rutgers Chris Fake (D) #, Brian Tevlin (M) #, Luke Eschbach (M) #

Division 2/3
Amherst (D3): PJ Clementi (A) #
Catholic (D3): Kevin Crowley (A) #
Christopher Newport (D3): Brady Altobello (M) #
Gettysburg (D3): Griffin Gallagher (M) #, Tate Keinzle (DM) #
Lynchburg: Kyle Lewis (A) # ->OSU
Salisbury (D3): Jarrett Bromwell (M) #
St. Lawrence (D3): William Helm (G) #
Kenyon (D3): Joe Bolea (ssdm) # -> Syracuse, Declan Curry (M)# -> Sacred Heart

Key
* = in the portal for 2024 season
# = Graduate Transfer
BOLD = most recent update
Last edited by AreaLax on Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dek

Post by dek »

molo wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:31 pm As far as I know, Darden is still for people who have work experience. Two of my hs classmates were also on my class at the college at UVA and went to Darden to get MBAs after working for a couple of years, My neighbor, an engineer from NC State did likewise. I think the UVA grad business grad student Jax players do a master’s in the McIntire School of Commerce, which was back in my time where undergrad business majors took their last two years after doing their first two years in the college.
I know that Moore was in a different grad program. A few, notoriously Streep, the Bucknell grad who went down on an assault and battery beef, went to the Curry School of Education. I know that today’s players seem unlikely to pursue education as a career, but unless things have changed dramatically, it would not be hard to be enrolled full time in an M. Ed. program and play a sport. I don’t think it would be possible to do so in an MA program in,
Moore, Peele, Zinn and Quinn were in UVA graduate programs this season. Moore was leadership/public policy at the Batten School, Peele was in data sciences, and I’m not sure about Zinn and Quinn. Bertrand was in the Commerce School last year, and that seems to be the most popular route.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

dek wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:02 pm
molo wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:31 pm As far as I know, Darden is still for people who have work experience. Two of my hs classmates were also on my class at the college at UVA and went to Darden to get MBAs after working for a couple of years, My neighbor, an engineer from NC State did likewise. I think the UVA grad business grad student Jax players do a master’s in the McIntire School of Commerce, which was back in my time where undergrad business majors took their last two years after doing their first two years in the college.
Moore, Peele, Zinn and Quinn were in UVA graduate programs this season. Moore was leadership/public policy at the Batten School, Peele was in data sciences, and I’m not sure about Zinn and Quinn. Bertrand was in the Commerce School last year, and that seems to be the most popular route.
Something I actually know about having lectured at the Darden School, live in Charlottesville and next door neighbor works at Darden.

For years Darden was just post graduate (MBA) and McIntire was undergraduate (BS Commerce). Like many schools, UVA typically did not take McIntire grads into Darden. This was something Owen Van Arsdale worried about as he red shirted, and got his BS in 4 years. However having a father that was asst HC probably helped him get into Darden.

Now Darden and McIntire have a combined Master’s of Science in Business Analytics.

There is no official policy prohibiting any student from any program and the extra year of eligibility is being viewed as a transitory period. A bigger concern to students is these programs tend to be two years in length. That can vary though by student.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

Posted it on like page 1, decker from Colgate going to RU
LongIslandLacks

Post by LongIslandLacks »

D3LAXLOVER wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:17 pm Is it true that UVA does not let athletic teams use Darden and other schools to attract grad students? If so puts them at a huge disadvantage
Notwithstanding other posts who claim knowledge, I paid tuition at Darden, McIntyre and the College. Darden is slim chance for these lacrosse players. Admissions is highly competitive and puts a premium on industry experience. The idea is that the students benefit from and learn from others’ real life business experience. A newly graduated lacrosse player has nothing to offer other students at Darden. Not really different from other too 10 MBA programs nationally—they want to see several years of post-grad experience. Now, there are many other programs available for grad students at UVA. And, be mindful—it is a very small group of lacrosse players who would ever qualify for a Darden admission, or HBS, etc.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

LongIslandLacks wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:17 pm
D3LAXLOVER wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:17 pm Is it true that UVA does not let athletic teams use Darden and other schools to attract grad students? If so puts them at a huge disadvantage
Notwithstanding other posts who claim knowledge, I paid tuition at Darden, McIntyre and the College. Darden is slim chance for these lacrosse players. Admissions is highly competitive and puts a premium on industry experience. The idea is that the students benefit from and learn from others’ real life business experience. A newly graduated lacrosse player has nothing to offer other students at Darden. Not really different from other too 10 MBA programs nationally—they want to see several years of post-grad experience. Now, there are many other programs available for grad students at UVA. And, be mindful—it is a very small group of lacrosse players who would ever qualify for a Darden admission, or HBS, etc.
nobody's getting into darden unless their dad is on staff. that's top whatever mba and not a parallel to what other schools offer in their 1 year deals. that's masters in business related fields, which uva offers as well. i think their first was in accounting in the early 90's.

it'd be surprising if the hoos dropped 4-5 grad transfers on their team. they bring in 1+ and might expand that, but to do much more they'd be walking back how they see their program build.

considering how they've done to date, if they're at such a disadvantage, i'd say more of that.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

1766 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:35 am
MoralTerpitude wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:53 pm To me Rutgers’ success with the portal shows what an excellent coach Brecht is. It is not easy to meld a team out of that many guys playing their first year on the squad, but he’s done it. And he’s done it better than a Georgetown or a Notre Dame. Guys want to go to Rutgers and be a part of his program. That says alot.
If you happen to have caught the emotional press conference after the Cornell game with Ryan Gallagher and Colin Kirst, they spoke of this. It gets back to culture. The culture in the locker room (and out) is very strong. It allows bringing in like minded kids that will be accepted and encouraged. Getting the culture to that that point was very challenging when Coach Brecht arrived. The players in the program dating all the way back to Will Mangan, and many others after him, put in a lot of time and effort in making it a positive place where guys can succeed. They are expected to work hard but those guys showed the way. Now we are seeing the results of that. I've been in that locker room. It's a fun place where the guys love Rutgers lacrosse and are willing to put in extra work. In fact it's expected. It's not for everyone but the staff does a great job identifying the right type of players. Not just on the field but off.

I have no insight into Maryland but I can guarantee the culture is incredibly strong. You don't win like that without it.
Yeah, definitely caught that press conference. It was tough to watch at the end, you could hear the Cornell players celebrating in the background. Kirst seemed shattered.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

nyjay wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:01 pm
smoova wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:40 pm I recognize that the NCAA made these decisions across all sports, but I do appreciate that the effect was consistent with the current trend in lacrosse of disadvantaging younger players in order to advantage older players (see e.g. the current play-down/hold-back/PG epidemic).
I'm enjoying this discussion, thoughtful posts all around. Well done.

I think 76 has it right - there wasn't a perfect solution, it was just about balancing the trade-offs. And while I tend to disagree with the NCAA's decision, balancing the trade-offs to benefit the best players and those who are willing to do whatever they can to play in college is entirely consistent with the the play-down/hold-back/PG epidemic. And that's not going to change due to the nature of the sport. The reality in lacrosse is that the elite kids want to maximize their likelihood of success in college, as opposed to peaking later in life as is the case for sports with major $ professional leagues (basketball, football, hockey, baseball, etc.). As a result, among the truly serious, the games that are played to maximize that likelihood of success in college are going to continue because those games are effective in achieving the desired outcome. One interesting current note on the topic is the "junior PLL" thing that just got announced. I believe that they're doing that on an age-group basis rather than on an grad year basis. I know US lax tried to do something similar a couple of years ago, but all the NLF-type clubs completely ignored it and it went away.

As a lacrosse fan, it's always funny to see the elite basketball players reclass - because they reclass up rather than down so as to allow them to get to the NBA a year earlier.
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... lassifying
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

the oligopoly certainly in theory could've been a lot tighter, longer had all these guys been able to save each other from themselves.

still, the champs from 2016 on are unc, umd, yale, uva, uva and umd. 5 out of 6. for sure, only maryland has been consistent and at least one school has fallen off the map.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Brown: George Pike (M) #, Darian Cook (A) #, Cameron Fiore (G) #, Andy Demopoulos (G)
Colgate: Thor Adamec (LSM) #, Will Sidari (D) #, Ryan Decker (M) #-> Rutgers, Brian Minicus (A) # -> Georgetown
Fairfield: Kyle Borda (M) #, James Corasaniti (G) #, Tyler Wuchte (M) #, Trevor Ford (M) #, Patrick Drake (M) #, Brendan Dreyer (M) #, David Dorsett (M) #, Brian Reda (A) #
Harvard: Austin Madronic (A) #, Jackson Hartje (LSM) #, Oliver Hollo (LSM/D) #, Kyle Mullin(G) # ->Rutgers
Mount St. Mary’s: Jake Kreiger (M) #, Jared McMahon (A) #, Connor McMahon(M) #-> Bryant
North Carolina: Jacob Kelly (A) # ~> Georgetown, Nicky Solomon (A) # -> Georgetown, Chase Mullins (FO)
Notre Dame: Davis Allen (M) # ->Fairfield, Griffin Hawthorne (D) #
Richmond: Griffin Kology (D)
Syracuse: Tucker Dordevic (M) #->Georgetown, Mikey Berkman (A) #, Jack Savage (FO), Shahe Katchadurian (G), Jack Kennedy (D), Matteo Corsi (A/M)
Vermont: Thomas McConvey (M) # -> UVA, Salvatore Iaria (M)
Yale: Joe Neuman (FO) # -> Rutgers,Chris Fake (D) #, Brian Tevlin (M) #, Luke Eschbach (M) #

Division 2/3

Key
# = Graduate Transfer
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Heard from a top 20 D1 Coach who had several successful portal transfers last year that the portal is much light this year. Says much less in terms of impact guys and good chance he may not add any.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

xxxxxxx wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:35 pm Heard from a top 20 D1 Coach who had several successful portal transfers last year that the portal is much light this year. Says much less in terms of impact guys and good chance he may not add any.
I think this is really true. I have also heard of several freshman. Entering the portal but, there is not the level of talent in the portal right now but there are kids in the portal that are not on this list.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I’ve held the view that it already peaked. Lots of folks keep saying “oh god we’ve got two more years of it but it’s somewhere between a Gaussian bell curve and skewed to the left in a linear timeline. There’s going to be some impact kids who do fifth year transfers post bachelors but it’s going to wane starting this year. And if the economy dips kids will be loathe or stupid to turn down a job offer like Eric Holden, for example, did in 2020-21.

Just silly linear thinking to believe the impact will be the same each year until all the Covid freebies run out.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:23 pm I’ve held the view that it already peaked. Lots of folks keep saying “oh god we’ve got two more years of it but it’s somewhere between a Gaussian bell curve and skewed to the left in a linear timeline. There’s going to be some impact kids who do fifth year transfers post bachelors but it’s going to wane starting this year. And if the economy dips kids will be loathe or stupid to turn down a job offer like Eric Holden, for example, did in 2020-21.

Just silly linear thinking to believe the impact will be the same each year until all the Covid freebies run out.
It will drop out of hyper mood. These kids/parents have now had more time to think and plan. The last two years players were still in shock of what was happening to them and around them
renault

Post by renault »

What does "use Darden" mean in this context?

Nobody should be looking to attend an MBA program immediately after graduating from college, and most competitive MBA programs won't even allow you to apply/attend without a couple years of real work experience. Less competitive schools sometimes will take students right out of undergrad -- this is a huge mistake for 99% of people out there and I always highly recommend against it.

-- You'll end up wasting your money on MBA tuition and still end up competing with undergrads for entry-level jobs. That's right, you won't be applying for your typical post-MBA track jobs, you'll be applying for post-UG entry-level ones.

-- You waste your opportunity for a real MBA, one that might allow you to change or open up different career paths. Getting a one-year nonsense masters degree (what most lacrosse playing grad transfers get) keeps the option open for a real MBA a few years down the line.

You'd be surprised -- my recruit class alone in college sent two to HBS and two more to very highly ranked business schools. Admissions to these sorts of programs (HBS excluded) isn't really rocket science as long as you have reasonably good work experience and a 3.3+ college GPA, as the GMAT is a relatively gameable test.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Harvard: Austin Madronic (A) #, Jackson Hartje (LSM) #, Oliver Hollo (LSM/D) #, Kyle Mullin(G) # ->Rutgers
Notre Dame: Davis Allen (M) # ->Fairfield, Griffin Hawthorne (D) #
Richmond: Griffin Kology (D) -> Virginia
Vermont: Thomas McConvey (M) # -> Virginia, Salvatore Iaria (M)
Yale: Joe Neuman (FO) # -> Rutgers,Chris Fake (D) #, Brian Tevlin (M) #, Luke Eschbach (M) #

Division 2/3

Key
# = Graduate Transfer
drunkmonkey30

Post by drunkmonkey30 »

A cynical person person might say, the idea is a higher starting salary for new B school grads that also have a few years of industry experience is the real reason. Gotta maintain that top 10 ranking!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

drunkmonkey30 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:21 am
A cynical person person might say, the idea is a higher starting salary for new B school grads that also have a few years of industry experience is the real reason. Gotta maintain that top 10 ranking!
May not dismiss that but it really is supposed to be about elevating into midsole management. Otherwise why cross train w marketing, MIS, Hr/Org behavior, POM & finance/accounting? It’s the fist thing they hit you with.

They all manipulate the graduate comp metrics wildly anyways. All of them. Could be worse, my buddy had to take over at Temples Fox Business School a couple of years back because his predecessor completely made up their numbers for their online program which was highly ranked for that..

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”