2022 Tewaaraton Finalists

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Peter Brown

Re: 2022 Tewaaraton Finalists

Post by Peter Brown »

Hey all, not much of a womens lacrosse expert, but I did watch both semis as well as the championship. Charlotte will almost undoubtedly win the Tewey. Ortega is a great player. Charlotte was a transformative player. Young girls in Florida now spin the ball in their sticks like Charlotte North. It’s quite something. Her impact is nationwide.

Personally, I’d like Aurora Cordingley to win simply because of her wondrous name. DocB and I agree on nothing but the almost mystically captivating name ‘Aurora Cordingley’. For that alone, there can be few better Tewey winners.

In more sobering news, you guys should be happy that the last three games of the year were absolute spellbinding tv events. Instead of useless grade school insults, you should be bonding over a few beers the fact that the woman’s game had such an incredible finale. The venue was sublime on tv. The games beyond perfect, even if you lost. You all should be on a major high.

The semis and championship were some of the best lacrosse I’ve ever seen.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:36 pm Hey all, not much of a womens lacrosse expert, but I did watch both semis as well as the championship. Charlotte will almost undoubtedly win the Tewey. Ortega is a great player. Charlotte was a transformative player. Young girls in Florida now spin the ball in their sticks like Charlotte North. It’s quite something. Her impact is nationwide.

Personally, I’d like Aurora Cordingley to win simply because of her wondrous name. DocB and I agree on nothing but the almost mystically captivating name ‘Aurora Cordingley’. For that alone, there can be few better Tewey winners.

In more sobering news, you guys should be happy that the last three games of the year were absolute spellbinding tv events. Instead of useless grade school insults, you should be bonding over a few beers the fact that the woman’s game had such an incredible finale. The venue was sublime on tv. The games beyond perfect, even if you lost. You all should be on a major high.

Good luck to the finalists tonight ! Hoping for a Carolina win! Either JO or AM!
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Here is the 2022 Selection Committee:

Alicia Groveston, Chair
Jen Adams, Loyola University
Amy Bokker, Ohio State University
James Delaney, Indianapolis
Laura Field, Fairfield University
Jenny Graap, Cornell University
Christine Halfpenny, University of Notre Dame
Heather Holt, Old Dominion University
Alex Kahoe, St. Joseph’s University
Liza Kelly, University of Denver
Kerstin Kimel, Duke University
Sonia Lamonica, Towson University
Meghan McDonogh, Catholic University
Meghan McNamara, LIU Post
Lindsey Munday, University of Southern California
Hannah Nielsen, University of Michigan
Amanda O’Leary, University of Florida
Chris Sailer, Princeton University
Amy Appelt Slade, UMBC
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:41 pm Here is the 2022 Selection Committee:

Alicia Groveston, Chair
Amy Appelt Slade, UMBC
Interesting that there is only 1 ACC coach and that there is a D2 coach on the committee (Delaney)
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

8meterPA wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:59 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:41 pm Here is the 2022 Selection Committee:

Alicia Groveston, Chair
Amy Appelt Slade, UMBC
Interesting that there is only 1 ACC coach and that there is a D2 coach on the committee (Delaney)
Halfpenny & Kimel
njbill

Post by njbill »

Wouldn't you like to sneak a peek at Kimel's ballot?
Bart

Post by Bart »

Alicia Groveston, Chair
Amy Appelt Slade, UMBC
Catholic University is D3.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:01 pm

Alicia Groveston, Chair
Amy Appelt Slade, UMBC
Halfpenny & Kimel
guess i need to study for more than 5 seconds next time!
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

8meterPA wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:28 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:01 pm

Alicia Groveston, Chair
Amy Appelt Slade, UMBC
Halfpenny & Kimel
guess i need to study for more than 5 seconds next time!
Been there :lol:
njbill

Post by njbill »

wlaxphan20, I'll bet you'll know the answer to this.

Is the award's ceremony tonight televised (I can't find it) or live streamed?

Seems to me one of the ESPNs has televised it in recent years. SSB has announced the winner.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

njbill wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:48 pm wlaxphan20, I'll bet you'll know the answer to this.

Seems to me one of the ESPNs has televised it in recent years. SSB has announced the winner.
Here’s a link to the livestream:
https://www.tewaaraton.com/2022ceremony/

As for it being televise in addition to the livestream, that I’m not sure of
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:50 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:49 am I hope Mastroianni wins it.
I hope one year all the finalists are eliminated before championship weekend
:lol: :lol: :lol:

UNC spread the workload too evenly to have a standout on CN's level. They had at least 3 strong options on the draw (Mastroianni, Dirks, Aldave) compared to CN alone for BC. UNC also was slightly deeper in scoring, with CN and Ortega finishing about equal in points but UNC's output spread out more evenly among the next 4-5 scorers which takes pressure off the top scorer. UNC also had the edge on the defensive end of the field which took a bit more pressure off the attack. I'm not trashing CN or any aspect of BC, they were a very strong team and it's impressive that they competed with what I would classify as a significantly deeper UNC team.
njbill

Post by njbill »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:51 pm
njbill wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:48 pm wlaxphan20, I'll bet you'll know the answer to this.

Here’s a link to the livestream:
https://www.tewaaraton.com/2022ceremony/

As for it being televise in addition to the livestream, that I’m not sure of
Thanks. Hope I don't have to have youtube TV (I don't).
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Alicia Groveston, Chair
Amy Appelt Slade, UMBC

The committee should give the Fanlax Forum one vote. You run a poll, ranked choice voting, two rounds, and submit.
DMac

Post by DMac »

A little spankin' from Mr. Shenandoah, got a little work to do on pronunciation.
Code Talkers comes to mind....aint an easy word.

Baltimorians gettin' a little spankin' too.
Think that was code talk for, Baltimore my asz.
njbill

Post by njbill »

It took me ten years to learn to pronounce the English version of Tewaaraton. I guess it will take another ten years to learn to pronounce it correctly.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:36 pm Hey all, not much of a womens lacrosse expert, but I did watch both semis as well as the championship. Charlotte will almost undoubtedly win the Tewey. Ortega is a great player. Charlotte was a transformative player. Young girls in Florida now spin the ball in their sticks like Charlotte North. It’s quite something. Her impact is nationwide.

Peter Brown...nice to hear a different voice.
So you claim that Charlotte North is a "Transformative" player. That is a term that has been tossed around alot about her. They seemed to get that one in on every BC game. Another word for an overused term is cliche.
Here's what Transformative means : causing or able to cause an important and lasting change in someone or something.

So having said that, explain how CN is Transformative? I can say that about the following Laxers : Jen Adams, Christine Lindsay, Kelly Amonte Hiller, Hannah Neilsen, Amy Appelt Slade, Kylie Ohlmiller, Taylor Cummings, Selena Lasota.

Has the world of Social Media worked to make CN bigger by numbers, but not necessarily by deeds? Do the above mentioned players suffer because there was no Twitter, Instagram or Snapchat?

Addendum...I was reminded by a friend that I left off a couple of names of players that should really be considered Transformative : Katrina Dowd(influenced in her CA play by people like Mikey Powell and Billy Bitter) and the legendary HOFer, Gail Cummings Danson.
Last edited by LarryGamLax on Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Really liked Belichick’s speech
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:04 pm

So you claim that Charlotte North is a "Transformative" player. That is a term that has been tossed around alot about her. They seemed to get that one in on every BC game. Another word for an overused term is cliche.
Here's what Transformative means : causing or able to cause an important and lasting change in someone or something.

So having said that, explain how CN is Transformative? I can say that about the following Laxers : Jen Adams, Christine Lindsay, Kelly Amonte Hiller, Hannah Neilsen, Amy Appelt Slade, Kylie Ohlmiller, Taylor Cummings, Selena Lasota.

Has the world of Social Media worked to make CN bigger by numbers, but not necessarily by deeds? Do the above mentioned players suffer because there was no Twitter, Instagram or Snapchat?

I’m out of my depth discussing her. My only frames of reference are the games this past weekend and some daughters of four friends of mine in Florida. The girls emulate her stick skill. They all knew Charlotte North as the final was being played, and at halftime they went outside and pretended to be her shooting on goal and I’m in Florida, not exactly ground zero in lacrosse. That seems to say something, no?

I don’t know the sport all that well, tbh. So I’m not really qualified to weigh in, if you’re seeking a substantive debate.

Trying to catch up on the candidates, I gather Ortega has more PIL income? And Cordingley just seems very cool.

That’s all.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:20 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:04 pm

I’m out of my depth discussing her. My only frames of reference are the games this past weekend and some daughters of four friends of mine in Florida. The girls emulate her stick skill. They all knew Charlotte North as the final was being played, and at halftime they went outside and pretended to be her shooting on goal and I’m in Florida, not exactly ground zero in lacrosse. That seems to say something, no?

I don’t know the sport all that well, tbh. So I’m not really qualified to weigh in, if you’re seeking a substantive debate.

Trying to catch up on the candidates, I gather Ortega has more PIL income? And Cordingley just seems very cool.

That’s all.
Now that you've dipped your toe in the waters of wlax, Peter, I'll give you a warning, it's pretty easy to get hooked on. Watch a few games, learn a little about the game and it becomes a joy to watch. It's a fantastic game. Kinda good to see you in these here parts, should be interesting.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”