Maryland in a squeaker
23%
Cornell in a squeaker
35%

Total votes: 75

JustOneTime

Re: Cornell versus Maryland

Post by JustOneTime »

CU88 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:32 am Love this set play.

https://twitter.com/firstclasslax_/stat ... 6633165824
Thanks for sharing. The off ball pick is an often overlooked part of the game. I wish the ESPN crew would breakdown more plays like this during their telecasts.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

JustOneTime wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:59 am

Thanks for sharing. The off ball pick is an often overlooked part of the game. I wish the ESPN crew would breakdown more plays like this during their telecasts.
I just watched the telecast of the game for the first time. The crew did so little talking about the actual game. There was an entire series of plays where teams made really great plays, but all 3 guys were in the midst of telling stories about something else. So they didn't even describe what was happening. Remember the play where McNaney jumped out of the cage to intercept a pass? Anish and the boys were telling a story about the Kirst family. They went on so long that Maryland turned the ball over, Cornell cleared it, and Cornell went back on offense before they got back to talking about the game. It was a really bad product.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

I thought they were much better than normal in focusing on the game (IMO, it helps a lot to have Carc on the field instead of in the booth), but I also remember that particular sequence, which was pretty annoying.

But still in no other sport are the highest-paid announcers so inattentive to the game in front of them. And it's such a shame, because plenty of good announcers (my fave is Boyle) are available.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Wheels wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:56 pm

I just watched the telecast of the game for the first time. The crew did so little talking about the actual game. There was an entire series of plays where teams made really great plays, but all 3 guys were in the midst of telling stories about something else. So they didn't even describe what was happening. Remember the play where McNaney jumped out of the cage to intercept a pass? Anish and the boys were telling a story about the Kirst family. They went on so long that Maryland turned the ball over, Cornell cleared it, and Cornell went back on offense before they got back to talking about the game. It was a really bad product.
knew it was going to be a rough day when the famous richie phrase morphed to "it's good to be here!" and we caught a beast reference and "from a dodging perspective" early on.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

I mentioned this on the Maryland thread and really am not taking anything away from the Terps, that is an awesome team and deserving champion. However, I'd bet no team ever was held scoreless for the last 28 minutes of a game and won. Definitely not in a final and probably in the tournament as well, pretty crazy.
molo

Post by molo »

When it was 9-3 they had stopped calling the game and instead reverted to how Maryland’s stacked up against other undefeated teams. As Cornell made their run, they finally talked about the game, which was becoming competitive.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

YES!

The camera angle was great for this whole play; a WONDERFUL read and reaction by McNaney.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Very few people are talking about what may have been the biggest play of the game - the disallowed goal by Piatelli late in the 4th. I believe it would have cut the lead to 9-7 with about 6 minutes left. It was an unfortunate/fortuitous bounce, depending on which team you were. The only reason the goal was disallowed was because the ball hit the pipe, then McNaney's back, before going in the net. By the time the ball took this double bounce, Piatelli had landed in the crease. Had that been a goal, an exhausted Maryland team would have been gripping their sticks a lot tighter down the stretch.

Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Chousnake wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:39 pm Very few people are talking about what may have been the biggest play of the game - the disallowed goal by Piatelli late in the 4th. I believe it would have cut the lead to 9-7 with about 6 minutes left. It was an unfortunate/fortuitous bounce, depending on which team you were. The only reason the goal was disallowed was because the ball hit the pipe, then McNaney's back, before going in the net. By the time the ball took this double bounce, Piatelli had landed in the crease. Had that been a goal, an exhausted Maryland team would have been gripping their sticks a lot tighter down the stretch.

Yup. But the call was correct, and kind of remarkable that it was made in real time. The replays showed the official exactly where he needed to be, and with a view of the ball hitting the bar, and then Logan's back, while Piatelli's body slipped into the crease.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

CU88 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:00 pm

YES!

The camera angle was great for this whole play; a WONDERFUL read and reaction by McNaney.
And... That was a huge play by McNaney. It looked like the potential shooter wasn't well covered.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

faircornell wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:58 pm
CU88 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:00 pm

YES!

And... That was a huge play by McNaney. It looked like the potential shooter wasn't well covered.
My decaying memory was that I was thinking “good play by McNaney but Why The F**k did he make that pass?”
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

They talk too much. They never shut up.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:28 pm

+1
And, just as importantly, don't cover the actual game play nearly closely enough...disappointing.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:08 pm knew it was going to be a rough day when the famous richie phrase morphed to "it's good to be here!" and we caught a beast reference and "from a dodging perspective" early on.
Particularly painful since the camera was showing Buczek standing on the sidelines with "It's Great to be Here" clearly on display even while he was saying this.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:31 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:28 pm

+1
And, just as importantly, don't cover the actual game play nearly closely enough...disappointing.
So true. ESPN has better lacrosse commentary crew but for some reason they think three are the best. SSB is very good at calling either the women or mens games.
LynahFan

Post by LynahFan »

xxxxxxx wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:35 pm I mentioned this on the Maryland thread and really am not taking anything away from the Terps, that is an awesome team and deserving champion. However, I'd bet no team ever was held scoreless for the last 28 minutes of a game and won. Definitely not in a final and probably in the tournament as well, pretty crazy.
Out of curiosity, I looked up the box scores and *3* teams managed to hold MD scoreless for an entire quarter. Of course, the other two times were when they were up 18-3 on PSU after the third quarter and up 22-4 over JHU after the third. I’m guessing even the assistant waterboys got playing time in those contests.
45wewantmore

Post by 45wewantmore »

LynahFan wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:21 am
xxxxxxx wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:35 pm I mentioned this on the Maryland thread and really am not taking anything away from the Terps, that is an awesome team and deserving champion. However, I'd bet no team ever was held scoreless for the last 28 minutes of a game and won. Definitely not in a final and probably in the tournament as well, pretty crazy.
Out of curiosity, I looked up the box scores and *3* teams managed to hold MD scoreless for an entire quarter. Of course, the other two times were when they were up 18-3 on PSU after the third quarter and up 22-4 over JHU after the third. I’m guessing even the assistant waterboys got playing time in those contests.
Maryland had averaged 18 gpg prior to the final

Cornell deserve great credit for that

the referees swallowing their whistles also had an impact
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Somebody called that aspect before the game acknowledging Abbott wasn’t officiating the final (I believe I read that here)
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Forgive me if someone already posted this link of images from the Championship game:

Rich Barnes@Firstteamphoto
My full gallery of images for @USALacrosseMag from the @NCAALAX D1 Championship game between
@CornellLacrosse
and
@TerpsMLax
played on 5/30/22.

https://twitter.com/Firstteamphoto/stat ... fsrc=email
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

Chousnake wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:39 pm Very few people are talking about what may have been the biggest play of the game - the disallowed goal by Piatelli late in the 4th. I believe it would have cut the lead to 9-7 with about 6 minutes left. It was an unfortunate/fortuitous bounce, depending on which team you were. The only reason the goal was disallowed was because the ball hit the pipe, then McNaney's back, before going in the net. By the time the ball took this double bounce, Piatelli had landed in the crease. Had that been a goal, an exhausted Maryland team would have been gripping their sticks a lot tighter down the stretch.

That moment wasn't lost on me. Another one of the pipes that were very costly to Cornell, but what can you do, it happens. Same with the other earlier pipe shots (millimeters off target). Great effort by Piatelli. Awesome fight by Cornell.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”