Does Gary Gait Turn Syracuse Around & Make Them A Regular Power?

D1 Mens Lacrosse

Does Gary Gait Turn Syracuse Around & Make Them A Regular Power?

Yes
44%
No
56%

Total votes: 85

CU77

Re: Does Gary Gait Turn Syracuse Around & Make Them A Regular Power?

Post by CU77 »

Homer wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:45 pm What part of "try not to be infantile" don't you understand?
The part where having a difference of opinion on a particular coach's ability is "infantile".
Homer

Post by Homer »

CU77 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:05 am
Homer wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:45 pm What part of "try not to be infantile" don't you understand?
The part where having a difference of opinion on a particular coach's ability is "infantile".
Then you're lost to this forum. Gresham's Law.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

CU77 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:05 am
Don’t waste your bandwidth, CU77. He’s just here for arguments.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

jrn19 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:16 pm
CU77 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 2:57 pm
shoothi wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:49 am IMO Gait used this year to get his feet wet coaching guys lacrosse
And it's just amazing to me that the Cuse admin thought that turning their storied program over to a dude who NEEDED to "get his feet wet coaching guys lacrosse" was a good idea.

Then Gait's first move was to hire a has-been just-fired equally-out-of-shape coach as his sidekick. Not a great plan, IMO.

But we'll see. I've certainly been wrong before.
Not only that, but anyone who dared to suggest "hey, this guy doesn't have a lot of exp with men's lacrosse, that could be an issue" was shouted down as if they were committing heresy
Completely and totally untrue. That was one of the main topics of conversation/debate. You are always trying to create a narrative.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

It wasn't universal but there absolutely one million percent were people waving away concerns of his lack of experience coaching the men's game and then accusing people mentioning those concerns of being haters or trolls
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

"It wasn't universal, but"

There you go! Just don't speak in absolutes! It's simple! Cuse haters always are speaking in absolutes about the fanbase its so frustrating. Yes SOME people, usually those who are more casual fans, were going "Its Gary freaking Gait what could possibly go wrong??" Certainly not all. How hard is it not to make sweeping generalizations?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Antonio114 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:24 am "It wasn't universal, but"

There you go! Just don't speak in absolutes! It's simple! Cuse haters always are speaking in absolutes about the fanbase its so frustrating. Yes SOME people, usually those who are more casual fans, were going "Its Gary freaking Gait what could possibly go wrong??" Certainly not all. How hard is it not to make sweeping generalizations?
Let me challenge this.

Syracuse sucks!

Thanks, mgt
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
molo

Post by molo »

Do you mean does Petro turn them around. He's the coach. Gait acts more like a CEO.
UO22

Post by UO22 »

molo wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:31 pm Do you mean does Petro turn them around. He's the coach. Gait acts more like a CEO.
HC's are the CEOs. Are HC's suppose to do all of the coaching or oversee and intervene as needed? Not sure your point.
CrazyPeople

Post by CrazyPeople »

UO22 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:00 pm
molo wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:31 pm Do you mean does Petro turn them around. He's the coach. Gait acts more like a CEO.
HC's are the CEOs. Are HC's suppose to do all of the coaching or oversee and intervene as needed? Not sure your point.
Rewatch Tillman during the NC Game and tell me if he's coaching or overseeing...
molo

Post by molo »

As you may well know from my previous posts, I don’t have experience in the world of CEOs. I have been, however, both an assistant and head coach of various sports, albeit at the hs level. Some head coaches are more directly invited with details, but any good head coach understands that he or she is accountable for the performance of the team. Maybe in the corporate world leadership is about making the most money, but in education—which has at least something to do with school sports—there is some expectation that leaders do more than just collect a huge paycheck and try to present an image of leadership.
Beware any school system that calls it’s leader a CEO.
When Pressler was still coaching at Duke, IL ran an article that showed his practice schedule, something that may be of little interest to CEO worshippers but of considerable interest to any coach who wanted to get better. I was already in the habit of posting practice plans in the locker room, but I used the article to tweak plans and specifically to break practices into even smaller time frames. Did we follow the plans exactly? Of course not, but at least every assistant coach and player knew what we planned to accomplish that day and how we were planning to allocate time.
The key is to be both organized and flexible. Some teachers rely on more detailed lesson plans, but effective ones don’t just wing it however it may appear.
I don’t know about CEOs. After all, before I retired I worked for a (modest) living.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

molo wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:24 pm As you may well know from my previous posts, I don’t have experience in the world of CEOs. I have been, however, both an assistant and head coach of various sports, albeit at the hs level. Some head coaches are more directly invited with details, but any good head coach understands that he or she is accountable for the performance of the team. Maybe in the corporate world leadership is about making the most money, but in education—which has at least something to do with school sports—there is some expectation that leaders do more than just collect a huge paycheck and try to present an image of leadership.
Beware any school system that calls it’s leader a CEO.
When Pressler was still coaching at Duke, IL ran an article that showed his practice schedule, something that may be of little interest to CEO worshippers but of considerable interest to any coach who wanted to get better. I was already in the habit of posting practice plans in the locker room, but I used the article to tweak plans and specifically to break practices into even smaller time frames. Did we follow the plans exactly? Of course not, but at least every assistant coach and player knew what we planned to accomplish that day and how we were planning to allocate time.
The key is to be both organized and flexible. Some teachers rely on more detailed lesson plans, but effective ones don’t just wing it however it may appear.
I don’t know about CEOs. After all, before I retired I worked for a (modest) living.
there are a number of ways to skin a cat. several of them can be successful in our sport. you liked your way, and others take a different path.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

While, personally, I like the Molo/Tillman approach better, two things strike ma regarding the GG sideline demeanor. First, there's a bit of a Canadian ice hockey feel to it, where the coach shows up in suit and tie and watches somewhat distantly, with the real interactions occurring in the locker room and in practice. Second, to give the man a break, as a man coaching women's lacrosse, the safeguarding/anti-harassment training and discipline that he must have practiced over the years might have drifted into his game day persona a bit.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

nadelan maybe doesn't say a word to anyone throughout the entire game, and he's a great coach and no one says a word about that.

tierney does nothing but scream at officials the entire time unless he takes a moment to chew out a rando player or 2. and he's "the greatest coach of all time".

i could throw out any number of coaches that are considered top of the game, perennial top teams that leave every single timeout to their assts and mostly work officials.

the stickiness of this gg storyline has gotten comical. he may not have what it takes ultimately, but considering him some kind of unicorn is ridiculous. even syracuse has a long line of the hc stepping aside on strategery. when will it end???
drunkmonkey30

Post by drunkmonkey30 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:33 pm nadelan maybe doesn't say a word to anyone throughout the entire game, and he's a great coach and no one says a word about that.

tierney does nothing but scream at officials the entire time unless he takes a moment to chew out a rando player or 2. and he's "the greatest coach of all time".

i could throw out any number of coaches that are considered top of the game, perennial top teams that leave every single timeout to their assts and mostly work officials.

the stickiness of this gg storyline has gotten comical. he may not have what it takes ultimately, but considering him some kind of unicorn is ridiculous. even syracuse has a long line of the hc stepping aside on strategery. when will it end???
Can't speak about Tierney's coaching style at Denver, but at Princeton in the 90's he was an extremely hands on coach. Every aspect of that tiger defense was directed/choregraphed by him. And I'm not just talking defensive schemes, slide packages and man down sets...he would stop practice to correct a defenders foot angle or their stick position if it was off.

Post by 1766 »

I have no idea if his coaching style will work or what he does in practice but the 90s style hockey coach game day suits are turrible. If you are going for the style look, at least be relevant. He's looking like Quint Kessinich over there with the giant knot and oversized shoulder pads. I'm sure he makes enough money to have a proper bespoke tailor. Or maybe there aren't any available up there. Either way I'd lose that look.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Could wear a flat brimmed cap and get some flow like Chillaxin w Carc…
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

A hounds-tooth trilby and [Syracuse] Carc and Quint would take a 10 minute break from the on-field action.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

I hope that no one in their right Lacrosse mind thought this was going to be a one year operation. It doesn't work like that, and most of you know that.
Gary and Petro have a lot to clean up there. There were LOTS of things going on prior to Gary's hiring. He is also going to have a build a whole new team culture and that does not happen instantly.

Gary and Petro are LEGENDS OF THE SPORT. Give them a couple of years and recruiting classes.
Bandito

Post by Bandito »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:45 pm
Antonio114 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:24 am "It wasn't universal, but"

Let me challenge this.

Syracuse sucks!

Thanks, mgt
Hobart sucks a lot more than Cuse
Farfromgeneva is a sissy soy boy

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”