Maryland 2022 National Champions

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Maryland 2022 National Champions

Post by wgdsr »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:42 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:34 am
keno in reno wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:38 am Maryland and the B1G need to look at balancing their schedules so their own teams aren't at a competitive disadvantage if they make it to the championship. UVA has it figured out, giving themselves a 2-3 week break before the tournament, They just didnt have other competitive factors this year.

Terps just played 6 high-intensity tournament games in 3 weeks, and it almost cost a historically great team their place in history because they had nothing left in the tank (and Cornell was playing like a championship team in the 4th quarter).

The B1G backloading all their conference games does not help. Putting the 'rivalry games' as the last weekend of the season, right before the tournament, does not help. And the B1G tournament itself seems like a waste of energy right before the real tournament starts. Neither Cornell or Princeton made the Ivy League championship game, and they looked great in the NCAA.

The 2nd final 4 game is a real thing too, but that should be expected. Intense heat on Monday afternoon is normal as well. I just think the B1G does its own teams a disservice by making their own schedule so intense at the end that it could cost their top teams when it matters (Penn State 2019 is a good non-Maryland example).

Great post

+1
+2. Tillman may also consider a tough OOC midweek game in midseason, as Maryland didn’t play any midweek games this year. So they never had short turnaround until the B1G tournament. The ACC’s Thursday night games certainly don’t hurt in terms of prepping the teams for MDW.
for all the talk of nd playing 12 games, it was kind of surprising to see umd only playing 12 reg season games. though that may be per usual with the expectation of 2 conference tournament games? seems light. but to do a midweek, you're mostly looking at cooler, early season as conference games dominate the latter half of schedules and are prioritized.

they will probably look back at the short bench as a mistake, and one they'll make adjustments on. including mixing guys in the middle of the field on both ends earlier in games for live bullet experience.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:18 am
keno in reno wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:38 am Maryland and the B1G need to look at balancing their schedules so their own teams aren't at a competitive disadvantage if they make it to the championship. UVA has it figured out, giving themselves a 2-3 week break before the tournament, They just didnt have other competitive factors this year.

Terps just played 6 high-intensity tournament games in 3 weeks, and it almost cost a historically great team their place in history because they had nothing left in the tank (and Cornell was playing like a championship team in the 4th quarter).

The B1G backloading all their conference games does not help. Putting the 'rivalry games' as the last weekend of the season, right before the tournament, does not help. And the B1G tournament itself seems like a waste of energy right before the real tournament starts. Neither Cornell or Princeton made the Ivy League championship game, and they looked great in the NCAA.

The 2nd final 4 game is a real thing too, but that should be expected. Intense heat on Monday afternoon is normal as well. I just think the B1G does its own teams a disservice by making their own schedule so intense at the end that it could cost their top teams when it matters (Penn State 2019 is a good non-Maryland example).

Great post

+1
+2. Tillman may also consider a tough OOC midweek game in midseason, as Maryland didn’t play any midweek games this year. So they never had short turnaround until the B1G tournament. The ACC’s Thursday night games certainly don’t hurt in terms of prepping the teams for MDW.
for all the talk of nd playing 12 games, it was kind of surprising to see umd only playing 12 reg season games. though that may be per usual with the expectation of 2 conference tournament games? seems light. but to do a midweek, you're mostly looking at cooler, early season as conference games dominate the latter half of schedules and are prioritized.

they will probably look back at the short bench as a mistake, and one they'll make adjustments on. including mixing guys in the middle of the field on both ends earlier in games for live bullet experience.
12 is one shorter than normal. They normally play 13 not counting B10 Tournament.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jrn19 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:34 am

Great post

+1

12 is one shorter than normal. They normally play 13 not counting B10 Tournament.

I don’t think the Terps were physically tired at the end so much as emotionally just flatlined-drained, plus banged up.

One regular season loss would have helped relieve them of the added emotional overhang of ‘historic greatness’, following on the emotional heels of redemption for the 2021 final. The Terps emotions at the conclusion, evidenced especially by Makar, was just a massive massive release of unbelievable pent-up pressure.

McNaney seems like a stoic kid who is impervious to pressure. What a guy to have stand on his head! So critical. A more emotional goalie might have caved.

The injuries were just bad luck and unfortunately part of the game, and they added to a sense of uncertainty.

What a story line. And I’m a Loyola homer! Happy for Tillman because he just seems like such a great guy.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:03 am
jrn19 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:34 am

Great post

+1

I don’t think the Terps were physically tired at the end so much as emotionally just flatlined-drained, plus banged up.

One regular season loss would have helped relieve them of the added emotional overhang of ‘historic greatness’, following on the emotional heels of redemption for the 2021 final. The Terps emotions at the conclusion, evidenced especially by Makar, was just a massive massive release of unbelievable pent-up pressure.

McNaney seems like a stoic kid who is impervious to pressure. What a guy to have stand on his head! So critical. A more emotional goalie might have caved.

The injuries were just bad luck and unfortunately part of the game, and they added to a sense of uncertainty.

What a story line. And I’m a Loyola homer! Happy for Tillman because he just seems like such a great guy.
a number of guys were exhausted.
Lager

Post by Lager »

Yep, when you are touting yourself as the best of all time, I'd say over rated. And no, Cornell wasn't getting weak shots off, they were beating their man and Mcananey bailed the defense out many times. People make a big deal out of the Brown goalies performance against Cornell, but frankly Cornell wasn't beating the Brown defense and were mostly launching weak shots that were easy saves. This was different than that, mcananey legitimately bailed out his defense. I don't think I've seen Licciardi #13 create his own shot all year, it was stunning to watch him cleanly beat his man multiple times. He's more of a role player. Maryland: Good team, amazing goalie. But they did not strike me as a once in a generation team.
Lager

Post by Lager »

And that's not even mentioning the 4 cross bars Cornell hit...
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

Lager wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:26 pm And that's not even mentioning the 4 cross bars Cornell hit...
Ohh mann this is really eating ya up bud isn’t it? How’s it feel to not just be a loser but a sore loser? You know you can apply your third grade bullsh*t argument to anything in life?
Oh if only the Bengals would have stopped that last pass by Stafford they would have won or if only I had chosen the number 17 instead of 29 on the powerball I’d be a multimillionaire.

But hey that’s not how life works and most of us are living in reality and the present. What is true is A. Maryland is the champion and undefeated, B. Cornell lost, thus making them losers, and C. You’re a soft a*s sore loser

And whether this Maryland team is one of the best teams ever? I honestly couldn’t give two sh*ts but they are in rare company going undefeated and most importantly they won the chip. Not many teams can claim this. If you want to try and take away from their success then go and do it on the Ivy League circle jerk forum and Cornell’s forum

Nothing will change these facts and I’m sorry that’s the hand you were dealt. Maybe next year? 🤷‍♂️
Lager

Post by Lager »

I wouldn't deny any of that. I'm just saying Maryland is overhyped and over rated. Mostly because they are being touted as an untouchable, GOAT level team. They are still a pretty damn good lacrosse team
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

Lager wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:22 pm I wouldn't deny any of that. I'm just saying Maryland is overhyped and over rated. Mostly because they are being touted as an untouchable, GOAT level team. They are still a pretty damn good lacrosse team
Yeah their is certainly an argument there but I would argue that a lot of people are suffering from recency bias. Maryland was clearly gassed and not even close to their top form (as im sure Cornell wasn’t) and forgetting Maryland in mid season or late season form when they dismantled the majority of their opponents by 7-10 goals is ignorant. Did they have a couple (of kind of close games? Sure - 2 games within 2 goals, still not all that close). This team absolutely would absolutely take a giant poop on the 90’s Syracuse or Princteon team because the kids are a lot more athletic and talented these days then they were 2 decades ago and that’s true for every D1 team just about. The fact they went undefeated during a time when everyone has talent and in the fashion in which they did it will be overlooked by you or others and that’s fine. But It’s a little shortsighted to just remember what you just saw in the last 48 hours and forget everything else to apply to your argument.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

masondixonlax wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:30 pm
Lager wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:22 pm I wouldn't deny any of that. I'm just saying Maryland is overhyped and over rated. Mostly because they are being touted as an untouchable, GOAT level team. They are still a pretty damn good lacrosse team
Yeah their is certainly an argument there but I would argue that a lot of people are suffering from recency bias. Maryland was clearly gassed and not even close to their top form (as im sure Cornell wasn’t) and forgetting Maryland in mid season or late season form when they dismantled the majority of their opponents by 7-10 goals is ignorant. Did they have a couple (of kind of close games? Sure - 2 games within 2 goals, still not all that close). This team absolutely would absolutely take a giant poop on the 90’s Syracuse or Princteon team because the kids are a lot more athletic and talented these days then they were 2 decades ago and that’s true for every D1 team just about. The fact they went undefeated during a time when everyone has talent and in the fashion in which they did it will be overlooked by you or others and that’s fine. But It’s a little shortsighted to just remember what you just saw in the last 48 hours and forget everything else to apply to your argument.

+1
CU77

Post by CU77 »

FWIW, as a Cornell fan for 45 years, I never thought Maryland was in danger of losing on Monday. Yes, the Terps didn't fully shut the door and gave the Red hope in Q4, but if they had needed another goal, I had no doubt that their offense would go out and execute and get it.

I wrote before the tournament that it was going to be a four-act play, the Coronation of the King, and that the four acts could come in any order. Now the tournament is over and the King has been crowned. The Terps fully deserve their spot in the pantheon among the handful of legendary undefeated national champions.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Lager wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:24 pm Yep, when you are touting yourself as the best of all time, I'd say over rated. And no, Cornell wasn't getting weak shots off, they were beating their man and Mcananey bailed the defense out many times. People make a big deal out of the Brown goalies performance against Cornell, but frankly Cornell wasn't beating the Brown defense and were mostly launching weak shots that were easy saves. This was different than that, mcananey legitimately bailed out his defense. I don't think I've seen Licciardi #13 create his own shot all year, it was stunning to watch him cleanly beat his man multiple times. He's more of a role player. Maryland: Good team, amazing goalie. But they did not strike me as a once in a generation team.

I’m a Loyola guy not a Terp.

I don’t think one member of the Terps team or coaching staff called themselves the GOAT. Social media did, but that’s not their responsibility.

We will have a better handle on how historic this team was only with the passing of time. You don’t know today where they stand. Maybe we don’t see another undefeated D1 team for 16 more years; if so, yeah, they’d be historic.

Incidentally, Licciardi had zero points. No assists. No goals.
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

Tell me with a straight face that you don’t think this terps team would absolutely wax cornell given a week of rest of preparation. Cornell scored all of three goals before marylands legs fell off. Take a hike.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Actually the consensus was that '90 Syracuse is the best team ever. But as Anthony DeMaio said in a more statesmanlike manner: who gives a sht, We're National Champions, that's all that matters.
MontgomeryTerp

Post by MontgomeryTerp »

keno in reno wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:02 pm
Actually the consensus was that '90 Syracuse is the best team ever. But as Anthony DeMaio said in a more statesmanlike manner: who gives a sht, We're National Champions, that's all that matters.
From the final Media Poll that was released today:

#2 Cornell (Maryland beat them)
#3 Princeton (Maryland beat them twice)
#4 Rutgers (Maryland dominated them twice)
#5 Virginia (Maryland dominated them twice)
#6 Notre Dame (Maryland beat them)

That is 8-0 over the teams ranked 2-6 in the final poll including 4 beatdowns. All questions asked and answered, by the Terps, during this season. DeMaio is right. Who cares, we're National Champions. The Terps did all that Tillman asked which was to be selfless and worry only about things within the team's control. Let the chattering class take care of the rest.
Lager

Post by Lager »

Fair enough. I bend the knee to the best team in college lacrosse. I wouldn't say Cornell is better than Maryland, Maryland had a mild edge in athleticism and skill, I was just anticipating a potentially bigger gap in those areas .
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

MontgomeryTerp wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:17 pm

That is 8-0 over the teams ranked 2-6 in the final poll including 4 beatdowns. All questions asked and answered, by the Terps, during this season. DeMaio is right. Who cares, we're National Champions. The Terps did all that Tillman asked which was to be selfless and worry only about things within the team's control. Let the chattering class take care of the rest.
Notre Dame at #6 must mean that the media poll was Quint, Anish, Carc, Booker Corrigan and Lou Holtz
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

keno in reno wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:28 pm
MontgomeryTerp wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:17 pm

Notre Dame at #6 must mean that the media poll was Quint, Anish, Carc, Booker Corrigan and Lou Holtz
:lol: :D

Ignoring the #6, the bottomline is this was a terrific UMD team, deep and balanced, with excellent specialists @ FOGO and goalie, and stud stars. Beat all comers.

DeMaio has it exactly right.

I think some of the jousting is more about reaction to the announcers, media, a few of the more hyperbolic fans, than anything else.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

NYterp09 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:56 pm
Tell me with a straight face that you don’t think this terps team would absolutely wax cornell given a week of rest of preparation. Cornell scored all of three goals before marylands legs fell off. Take a hike.
You don't get to play in the NC with a week of rest and preparation. This is a great team no doubt, but I'll bet no team ever won a final or even any playoff game without scoring a single goal in the final 28 minutes. I've never seen anything like it.
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

xxxxxxx wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:35 pm
NYterp09 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:56 pm
You don't get to play in the NC with a week of rest and preparation. This is a great team no doubt, but I'll bet no team ever won a final or even any playoff game without scoring a single goal in the final 28 minutes. I've never seen anything like it.
And how many teams won a title by only scoring 3 goals in the first 3 quarters? It goes both ways, my friend. And let’s not act like Maryland didn’t have any chances in the final 28 minutes, because they had plenty, including some slam dunks. Nerves and shaky legs clearly had an effect.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”