Syracuse 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wahoomurf

Re: Syracuse 2022

Post by wahoomurf »

Ran into Petro today at a playoff game. on L.I. I assumed he was there to watch Finnell (GC HS). Surprised Finnell didn't play today.
UO22

Post by UO22 »

gymman1031 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:13 pm Word is that John Galloway said no to Providence(where he was an assistant). Do you think he sticks it out at Jacksonville for a bit longer and waits to see what happens regarding Gary Gait at SU? Could SU be John's dream job?
I think JG would only leave Jax for "Cuse. Maybe Duke, but Dino's has groomed Matt for the job.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

UO22 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:25 am
gymman1031 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:13 pm Word is that John Galloway said no to Providence(where he was an assistant). Do you think he sticks it out at Jacksonville for a bit longer and waits to see what happens regarding Gary Gait at SU? Could SU be John's dream job?
I think JG would only leave Jax for "Cuse. Maybe Duke, but Dino's has groomed Matt for the job.
Just because he groomed Matt doesn’t mean that’s a lock. I suspect many Duke constituents wouldn’t be happy ultimately if he’s handed the keys there (at the time of the succession and post transition)
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

JG would have left for another team had it been offered
UO22

Post by UO22 »

OCanada wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:53 pm JG would have left for another team had it been offered
Are the reports of Providence offering false?
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:26 pm
Just because he groomed Matt doesn’t mean that’s a lock. I suspect many Duke constituents wouldn’t be happy ultimately if he’s handed the keys there (at the time of the succession and post transition)
I can't imagine Duke would hire Matt to replace his dad. If Caputo hasn't been promised the spot, I can't figure out why he is still there? Although there are plenty of great coaches who like the top assistant role more than the head coach's chair.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Lot of weirdness going on behind the scenes with the Duke succession saga from what I've been told by a family member of a recent graduate. The players apparently love and are rooting for Caputo but the sense is it probably isn't going to be him. Three camps emerging — one for Caputo, one for Matt Dano and one for them to bring in Chemotti. I don't think it will be anyone other than those three but I guess you can't completely count out guys like Wray, Alberici, or Cassese

Post by 1766 »

I can tell you there was real discussions with Dino about him taking over at Rutgers before Brecht. There were some stipulations he was making. One that was non negotiable was his son taking over when he retires.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

HooDat wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:08 am
I can't imagine Duke would hire Matt to replace his dad. If Caputo hasn't been promised the spot, I can't figure out why he is still there? Although there are plenty of great coaches who like the top assistant role more than the head coach's chair.
Metzbower and MVA being perfect examples.

The prize is still Chemotti IMO
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

1766 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:25 pm
I can tell you there was real discussions with Dino about him taking over at Rutgers before Brecht. There were some stipulations he was making. One that was non negotiable was his son taking over when he retires.
That wouldn’t be very real to me in that any quality professional in any sector of the world is open to having a conversation but that’s kind of a throwaway ask. Especially when talking about a decade ago. Not very serious.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

As a UVA fan - I hope Duke does tap little Dano to repalce his father!
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
a fan

Post by a fan »

IMHO, the biggest thing that Duke would look at when hiring is obviously off-field behavior. They'll chose that over wins seven days a week, and twice on Sundays.

My opinion, of course.
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

+1
Last edited by NElaxtalent on Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

1766 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:58 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:15 pm
1766 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:36 pm
BigTom5 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:00 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:12 am
lorin wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:02 am
BigTom5 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:59 am
joewillie78 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:49 am Holy Crap. The 2nd wave of under armour AA selections for the game this Summer just came out and 4 of the 11 are Syracuse recruits.

Add this to the first wave that of course included #1 recruit Joey Spillane.

This game has basically turned into a Syracuse scrimmage.

Syracuse has to have the greatest recruiting class ever, and only Alabama in football can come close to this. WOW.

Clearly Syracuse in the near future will have the #1 team in the country. Glad they play us here at the Kopf next year so we get to see all these great kids on the field together.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
I’ll have what he’s having! Cuse is a dumpster fire right now. To say they will be back on top in the near future is crazy talk. Sure they have a great recruiting class coming in, but so do the top schools that they need to make up A LOT of ground on. And those schools don’t have top talent transferring out, they have top talent transferring in.
HS and D1 are a different animal, let’s wait and see. Didn’t UNC have the # 1 class this year
Big difference between #1 class and this other worldly class the Cuse has coming in. My god, I look at this class and they have like the #1 or #2 guy at almost every position.

Again, I compare this class to a Top ALABAMA class in football.

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Let’s take a look..

Attack: 1. Spallina (Cuse) 2. Pietramala (UNC)
Midfield: 1. Terenzi (UVA) 2. Weisshaar (Towson)
FO: 1. Eldridge (UVA) 2 Cascadden (Cornell)
Defense: 1. Schaller (UMd) 2. Larkin (UMd)
Goalie: 1. Blind (Harvard) 2. Ricciardelli (ND)

So no, they don’t have one of the top two recruits at each position. I’m in agreement that they probably have the #1 class overall, but it’s not head and shoulders above say a UVA class that has 3 top 10 recruits to Cuse’s 1, and it’s definitely not the once in a generation class you make it out to be.

… and even if it is, this team will probably still not make a final four anytime soon unless they stack multiple classes and/or fill more gaps with the transfer portal.
I'd wager a lot of money that 5 years from now 50% of that list isn't in the top 10 at their position.
You can bank it.
From what I have seen, Spallina is a great talent. Will he live up to the hype? It's becoming almost impossible to. Much like Brennan Oneill, who is a wonderful player but he was being talked about like the greatest ever. At some point the hype is outpacing ability. It's no knock on these kids but hype sells. At some point you have to play though.

I have no doubt Spallina will be a very productive college player. I would say the same for Larkin. Those would be my two picks most likely to be one the tops of their position while in college. From there it's a crapshoot.

Below is the 2018 Top 100 List. Take the top 10. Makar and Bowen are the only ones to have lived up to their billing. It would seem this is a common theme. Lots changes from the ages of 16-22.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiting/rankinglist/2
Fwiw O'Neil is 10x the impact player of Spallina. Heck Arline was the #2 Att, Spallina was always the "other guy" on that 91 Crush team. Everyone slid FROM him not not TO him.

Post by 1766 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:50 pm
That wouldn’t be very real to me in that any quality professional in any sector of the world is open to having a conversation but that’s kind of a throwaway ask. Especially when talking about a decade ago. Not very serious.
It was a non starter for Rutgers and the AD at the time. Never confuse the coaching profession for a boardroom. A surprising ask to say the least, but the program also needed to be built from the depths so there was certainly leverage. Just not that much.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

hmmm Conner was UVA's top scoring midfielder this year, with 32 points.
Kelly was UNC's #3 attack man and has a good career, certainly.

I'd be happy with either of those top 10 predictions.

A lot of familiar names in that top 30.
But expecting these lists to be suggesting AA status likelihood is a big stretch; way too many variables.
molo

Post by molo »

Thank someone that the coaching profession is not a board room. Name me someone who’s not a parasite and I’ll say prayer for him.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

NElaxtalent wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:30 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:49 am Holy Crap. The 2nd wave of under armour AA selections for the game this Summer just came out and 4 of the 11 are Syracuse recruits.

Syracuse has to have the greatest recruiting class ever, and only Alabama in football can come close to this. WOW.

Clearly Syracuse in the near future will have the #1 team in the country. Glad they play us here at the Kopf next year so we get to see all these great kids on the field together.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
I’ll have what he’s having! Cuse is a dumpster fire right now. To say they will be back on top in the near future is crazy talk. Sure they have a great recruiting class coming in, but so do the top schools that they need to make up A LOT of ground on. And those schools don’t have top talent transferring out, they have top talent transferring in.
HS and D1 are a different animal, let’s wait and see. Didn’t UNC have the # 1 class this year
Big difference between #1 class and this other worldly class the Cuse has coming in. My god, I look at this class and they have like the #1 or #2 guy at almost every position.

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Let’s take a look..

So no, they don’t have one of the top two recruits at each position. I’m in agreement that they probably have the #1 class overall, but it’s not head and shoulders above say a UVA class that has 3 top 10 recruits to Cuse’s 1, and it’s definitely not the once in a generation class you make it out to be.

… and even if it is, this team will probably still not make a final four anytime soon unless they stack multiple classes and/or fill more gaps with the transfer portal.
I'd wager a lot of money that 5 years from now 50% of that list isn't in the top 10 at their position.
You can bank it.
From what I have seen, Spallina is a great talent. Will he live up to the hype? It's becoming almost impossible to. Much like Brennan Oneill, who is a wonderful player but he was being talked about like the greatest ever. At some point the hype is outpacing ability. It's no knock on these kids but hype sells. At some point you have to play though.

I have no doubt Spallina will be a very productive college player. I would say the same for Larkin. Those would be my two picks most likely to be one the tops of their position while in college. From there it's a crapshoot.

Below is the 2018 Top 100 List. Take the top 10. Makar and Bowen are the only ones to have lived up to their billing. It would seem this is a common theme. Lots changes from the ages of 16-22.

Fwiw O'Neil is 10x the impact player of Spallina. Heck Arline was the #2 Att, Spallina was always the "other guy" on that 91 Crush team. Everyone slid FROM him not not TO him.
top 10s are fickle some years, spot on others.
2017 - 6 of top 11 are top 10 at position
2016 - 7 of 10, cole williams not far behind
2015 - 6 of 10
2014 - 3 of 10

spallina was 2 academic years anyway behind o'neill. seen him once. even with all the assists, very ball dominant. not sure how that plays out w the shot clock.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:13 pm
NElaxtalent wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:30 pm

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Let’s take a look..

You can bank it.

top 10s are fickle some years, spot on others.
2017 - 6 of top 11 are top 10 at position
2016 - 7 of 10, cole williams not far behind
2015 - 6 of 10
2014 - 3 of 10

spallina was 2 academic years anyway behind o'neill. seen him once. even with all the assists, very ball dominant. not sure how that plays out w the shot clock.
Having watched a pretty good amount of Mt. Sinai games this year I can say that their offense moves fairly quickly, while I am sure some adjustment will be needed I don't think the shot clock will be any sort of issue for a player like Spallina. Now certainly he will need to adjust to the D1 game and the speed and physicality of D1 defenders. I suspect he will have some learning moments against elite D teams like ND and others. Still with Dordevic at G-town he will be able to be the Quarterback of the offense more then I think he or Gait anticipated going into next year. He will likely see less double teams as well then he's used to with Hiltz back and Birtwistle or Leo as the third attackmen.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:53 pm
IMHO, the biggest thing that Duke would look at when hiring is obviously off-field behavior. They'll chose that over wins seven days a week, and twice on Sundays.

My opinion, of course.
If you’re not down with an 8 ball and bottle of wild Turkey Thursday’s your out?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”