Cornell 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Chousnake

Re: Cornell 2022

Post by Chousnake »

AreaLax wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:41 am As an outsider looking in I thought the way the school handled the last few years around the coaching staff was not well handled. Seemed like the school didn’t care about the team. I do feel that Coach Buczek is the real deal and the guy to lead the team forward. Can see them playing at FF and getting a championship.

Also see him as a target the next time an ACC/Big Ten HC opens up.

Good luck
I think the difference with Buczek as compared to other coaches that left Cornell over the past 20+ years is that Buczek is a Cornellian. Petro, Tambroni, and Milliman were not. I also understand that Buczek bleeds carnelian and white. I think he will be in Ithaca for a long time.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

Chousnake wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:03 am
AreaLax wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:41 am As an outsider looking in I thought the way the school handled the last few years around the coaching staff was not well handled. Seemed like the school didn’t care about the team. I do feel that Coach Buczek is the real deal and the guy to lead the team forward. Can see them playing at FF and getting a championship.

Good luck
I think the difference with Buczek as compared to other coaches that left Cornell over the past 20+ years is that Buczek is a Cornellian. Petro, Tambroni, and Milliman were not. I also understand that Buczek bleeds carnelian and white. I think he will be in Ithaca for a long time.
A la Mike Schafer, Cornell '86, coaching hockey...28th year this fall. I think of the recent lacrosse coaches leaving an Ivy head coaching position, only Tiffany left his alma mater. Richie stayed.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Before moving on to discussion of 2023, I would like to congratulate the Cornell lacrosse family on a terrific 2022 season, and on a tremendous, never-say-die effort against Maryland in the national championship game.
LynahFan

Post by LynahFan »

Good luck
Carnelian is one thing, green is quite another. Hope the AD knows what they have and doesn’t misjudge what it takes to keep him.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Just consider that entering the game, the Terps' opponent-adjusted efficiencies for offense, defense, face-offs, and goaltending were ranked 1st, 1st, 1st, and 5th. Then we saw a 9-7 game is a real testament to how well Cornell played. As a Maryland fan, it wasn't surprising to see the Terps defense really frustrate the Cornell offense. What really surprised me was Cornell's defensive adjustments in the 2nd half completely stymied one of the most prolific offenses in the modern era. Looking at the stats before the game, Adler was the only defender that appeared capable of really pressing out and creating turnovers. That sure wasn't the case yesterday. Moving Adler all over the field to different match-ups was something to see. I've likened Maryland's offense to "whack-a-mole." Whoever got hot for the Terps yesterday would then get the Adler treatment. It was pretty impressive. Wierman had a tendency all year to have big 3rd quarters, and he again did yesterday, too. When it got to 9-2 and Wierman kept winning face-offs, I thought "well, here we go...get ready for 'pick your final score' territory." But that was when Cornell started flipping its defense all over the place. Double-polling the midfield. Shorting Malever at X. Pressing out in the midfield. I thought the knockout punch was coming, and it was really impressive to see Cornell not just get off of the mat but nearly deliver the knockout punch to the Terps. Only Wierman and McNaney kept that from happening. Before the game, I talked to someone about what it would look like if Cornell were to pull off the upset. I said Wierman would have to be underwater at the X, Maryland would have to repeat its 19 turnover performance from against Princeton, and that Cornell's ride would have make a difference.

Two out of the three happened. Without McNaney's 17 saves, a couple of those 22 MD turnovers would have ended up in the back of the net.
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

My guess is that Connor’s career journey may go beyond head coaching and at some point move to major league sports administration/leadership, I think that may be when we lose him. Then hopefully we have Jordan Stevens step in.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

RedIvy wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:20 pm My guess is that Connor’s career journey may go beyond head coaching and at some point move to major league sports administration/leadership, I think that may be when we lose him. Then hopefully we have Jordan Stevens step in.
I was hoping your have a round trip with Kerwick.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

LynahFan wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:01 pm

Good luck
Carnelian is one thing, green is quite another. Hope the AD knows what they have and doesn’t misjudge what it takes to keep him.
Hopefully the new AD replacing Noel later this year will be a supporter of the lax program. There are not many sports teams at Cornell that are national champion contenders year in and year out.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Wheels - your observations about Cornell's defensive adjustments in the 2nd half are right on the money. Watching some of the Stevens' moves real time, were surprising, as they represented such a departure from what we saw during the regular season. You caught it all, from moving Adler outside and pressing out, double poling on late face-offs, and going with a ss behind the cage. The guys on defense logged so many minutes and ultimately created turnover after turnover; unfortunately Cornell was unable to capitalize...a combination of Maryland stymieing individual match-ups, a few pipes, and great goaltending.
I just got off of a zoom discussion featuring Christian Sweazy's new book. Some great discussion. Interestingly, a few players from Cornell's '76 team compared yesterday's game to the 1976 Cornell-Maryland final (also 7-2 MD at half). Yesterday, at half-time I made the same observation to my son. One of the participants commented that the '76 team was fortunate to get a de facto "5th quarter" (no sudden death OT back then - a full OT was played). Yesterday, perhaps the boys just ran out of time.
Wheels - again, your comments are both gracious, objective, and insightful.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:28 pmYesterday, perhaps the boys just ran out of time.
I'll tell you this - this was the only game all year I got nervous during. I'd not seen Maryland's offense just completely stuffed in a half this year. Hats off to Cornell - they played their butts off and just kept working. I wish Cornell the best luck next year, but I don't think they need luck. They were special.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Chousnake wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:31 pm

Good luck
Hopefully the new AD replacing Noel later this year will be a supporter of the lax program. There are not many sports teams at Cornell that are national champion contenders year in and year out.
Big issue. Fortunately, I think that Connor Buczek has the diplomacy and tact to manage any reasonable relationship and agenda.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Cornell Big Red@CornellSports

The ⁦@CornellLacrosse and @CornellTFXC seniors honored with a special Commencement ceremony on Tuesday afternoon.
Special thanks to @RyanTLombardi⁩, Vice-President Opperman, Provost Kotlikoff and the many others that made this happen. #YellCornell

https://twitter.com/CornellSports/statu ... 3297951745
CU88

Post by CU88 »

LOVE THIS!

Rare footage of 1977 NCAA semi between Navy and ⁦@CornellLacrosse
⁩ at Schoellkopf. Final home game for McEneaney, Mackesey, Malm etc. This is Eamon in the riding game, then high five from Page (13) & Reitenbach (27)

https://twitter.com/SwezeyLacrosse/stat ... 4822598656
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PulpExposure wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:52 pm
VeryRustyRed wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:28 pmYesterday, perhaps the boys just ran out of time.
I'll tell you this - this was the only game all year I got nervous during. I'd not seen Maryland's offense just completely stuffed in a half this year. Hats off to Cornell - they played their butts off and just kept working. I wish Cornell the best luck next year, but I don't think they need luck. They were special.
It’s funny (ironic) in that there are differences (especially at Face Off) but a lot of similarities between the 06 UMass team that made a run to the finals and this Cornell team. Elite close D man, excellent goalie (Doc > Irelan, IMO, but not a knock on Chase) and strong attack driven offense.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

faircornell wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:09 pm
Chousnake wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:31 pm

Good luck
Big issue. Fortunately, I think that Connor Buczek has the diplomacy and tact to manage any reasonable relationship and agenda.
Without a doubt 👍
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:28 pm (no sudden death OT back then - a full OT was played).
Wasn't it technically 2 OTs? Didn't they play 2 5 minute OT periods?
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

ICGrad wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:12 am
VeryRustyRed wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:28 pm (no sudden death OT back then - a full OT was played).
Wasn't it technically 2 OTs? Didn't they play 2 5 minute OT periods?
One OT consisting of two four minute periods. IIRC, they swapped ends of the field between periods to make field and weather conditions equitable. A much better OT scheme for a sport where goals are scored, on average, every three minutes.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

May not be news but Cornell #2 in IL Media Poll.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Connor Buczek@cbucz33

Tough to put into words how special this 2022 team was. Fortunate to be surrounded by incredible people on our staff and in our locker room. Love this place. Love these people. #OneRung

6:29 PM · Jun 2, 2022·Twitter for iPhone

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”