D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxphan20

Re: Coaching Carousel 2022-2023

Post by wlaxphan20 »

And Jenn Cook just announced as Princeton’s new HC
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:29 pm And Jenn Cook just announced as Princeton’s new HC

OUTSTANDING...Love Jenn! Well deserved and they didn't drag it out.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

LarryGamLax wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:13 pm Got another name to throw in the mix - James Delaney , HC at the University of Indianapolis. They just won their first D2 National Championship and the man knows what he is doing.
The question with DII and DIII coaches is always, would they leave a successful program for a mid-major HC or big AC job in DI. I'm just not sure if this is the right career move/if it's really a step up. This isn't specifically in reference to Delaney, just a general question. If your end goal is a big DI HC job, do you need a DI stepping stone? Alternatively, when hiring, is DII/DIII HC success a better indicator than DI AC success or moderate HC success? Asking this question to those on the forum who have more expertise in this area.
Bart

Post by Bart »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:13 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:13 pm Got another name to throw in the mix - James Delaney , HC at the University of Indianapolis. They just won their first D2 National Championship and the man knows what he is doing.
The question with DII and DIII coaches is always, would they leave a successful program for a mid-major HC or big AC job in DI. I'm just not sure if this is the right career move/if it's really a step up. This isn't specifically in reference to Delaney, just a general question. If your end goal is a big DI HC job, do you need a DI stepping stone? Alternatively, when hiring, is DII/DIII HC success a better indicator than DI AC success or moderate HC success? Asking this question to those on the forum who have more expertise in this area.
Good question. IDK. Experience is experience I would think. Joe Spallina went D2 to D1. I believe Kathy Taylor started at HS. If not she did go from D3 to D2 to D1.

Does not seem to be the norm but good coaches find a way.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Kathy Taylor coached at Fayetteville-Manlius. Not sure when she started there, but it was at least by 2004 when I first saw her coach F-M. I think she went from there directly to Cortland, but I’m not sure about that.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

njbill wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:09 pm Kathy Taylor coached at Fayetteville-Manlius. Not sure when she started there, but it was at least by 2004 when I first saw her coach F-M. I think she went from there directly to Cortland, but I’m not sure about that.

You are correct Goalie Breath(stole that from "Carnac The Magnificent")!
njbill

Post by njbill »

Do you remember the goalie she had that year?
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Bart wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:20 pm
laxagainsthumanity wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:13 pm
Good question. IDK. Experience is experience I would think. Joe Spallina went D2 to D1. I believe Kathy Taylor started at HS. If not she did go from D3 to D2 to D1.

Does not seem to be the norm but good coaches find a way.

I'm with you Bart. Coaching is coaching is coaching. I have long been an advocate on these Forums of the Coaching Acumen of people on the D2 and D3 level. When these D1 openings pop up, I think the opportunity to have someone experienced and successful take the reins should be at the forefront as opposed to their success as a player or a relatively inexperienced assistant. Everyone has their own criteria pertaining to what they are looking to bring to their respective programs.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

njbill wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:00 pm Do you remember the goalie she had that year?
No
njbill

Post by njbill »

I thought I was going to trip you up with the answer. I looked it up to make sure I was correct, but I wasn't.

I have a game program from 2004 with F-M's roster with two goalies listed. But I don't know which one started (wasn't the one I thought who wasn't even a goalie). :lol: I should have kept my big mouth shut.

But I did come across something that said Kathy Taylor started the F-M program in 1988.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

UMass now opened up also

https://umassathletics.com/news/2022/5/ ... rosse.aspx

Angela McMahon-Serpone leaves college coaching to take a full time faculty and head varsity womens lacrosse coaching role at Deerfield Academy.
Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Impressive family first type of move. A logical decision for her. She has three young children (her oldest is 11) who will now be able to attend Deerfield, an elite prep school, with amazing facilities and a strong commitment to sports success. If she gets housing (many boarding schools provide it on campus) I bet the total comp/benefits package is better. Good job!
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

Dasher wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:01 am Impressive family first type of move. A logical decision for her. She has three young children (her oldest is 11) who will now be able to attend Deerfield, an elite prep school, with amazing facilities and a strong commitment to sports success. If she gets housing (many boarding schools provide it on campus) I bet the total comp/benefits package is better. Good job!
Looks like her husband is still HC of the men's soccer team at Amherst - 15 yrs and counting. So, they have extensive roots in that area. Good for her and her family.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
laxphan22

Post by laxphan22 »

You have to think her associate head coach at UMASS, Jana Drummond, is going to get a shot at coaching the squad. Although Tim McCormick (sp?) is an alum and has been crushing it at Arizona State. Not sure if he would want to leave.

Good on Princeton for hiring the only person that made sense. Judging from peoples thought on the hire, I imagine Jen will keep the momentum going for that Princeton squad.

Being down at the US Lacrosse Tournament, definitely a-lot of rumors floating around about openings. Seems like USF has zeroed in on a hire, UNC-Charlotte is just starting the process, and URI has an interesting short list. Seems like there might be a few openings in the ACC coming out shortly and one big one in the Big10. Lots of surprise at the opening at Cornell and interest in who will replace him. I bet it is going to get pretty crazy over the next few weeks.
ThreeSeconds

Post by ThreeSeconds »

Both OC & DC open at Notre Dame…..
harflax

Post by harflax »

ThreeSeconds wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:19 pm Both OC & DC open at Notre Dame…..
Sounds like desperation time for Halfpenny. Penn State did the same thing last year and we see how that worked.
VAMomGlax19

Post by VAMomGlax19 »

laxphan22 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:00 am You have to think her associate head coach at UMASS, Jana Drummond, is going to get a shot at coaching the squad. Although Tim McCormick (sp?) is an alum and has been crushing it at Arizona State. Not sure if he would want to leave.

Good on Princeton for hiring the only person that made sense. Judging from peoples thought on the hire, I imagine Jen will keep the momentum going for that Princeton squad.

Being down at the US Lacrosse Tournament, definitely a-lot of rumors floating around about openings. Seems like USF has zeroed in on a hire, UNC-Charlotte is just starting the process, and URI has an interesting short list. Seems like there might be a few openings in the ACC coming out shortly and one big one in the Big10. Lots of surprise at the opening at Cornell and interest in who will replace him. I bet it is going to get pretty crazy over the next few weeks.
Who has USF settled on? Who did they consider?
UO22

Post by UO22 »

Do you get the sense that the seat in South Bend is warm for Halfpenny?
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

UO22 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:32 am
Do you get the sense that the seat in South Bend is warm for Halfpenny?
I don't see women's head coaching jobs being on the hot seat unless they've actually down something wrong. On men's side, rabid alums drive a lot of the changes. Women just don't seem to do that. As has been discussed previously.

Do I think she is aware something needs to change, yes. She isn't going anywhere and surrounding herself with fresh ideas may help her and the team be better.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”