Maryland in a squeaker
23%
Cornell in a squeaker
35%

Total votes: 75

youthathletics

Re: Cornell versus Maryland

Post by youthathletics »

22k attendance is the number I see in the Terps Box score. for what its worth.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

youthathletics wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:26 pm 22k attendance is the number I see in the Terps Box score. for what its worth.
No that's Maryland's turnovers
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Kikin wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:56 pm I think it was the 3 hours but also, the timing of the 3 hours. Getting back to the hotel at 10 pm. No time for post game treatment for injuries and soreness. No time for proper hydration and nutrition vs getting to bed at a decent hour. No time to talk or review immediately post game, you had to get the team back to the hotel just to get food before it got too late. There is a reason, that until today the winner of the late game (second game) has only won the national title twice. Statistics don't lie, and the reality is the second game makes it more difficult and throw a couple of extra hours on top of that with the delay.
the winner of the 2nd game has won the national title way more than twice.

valiant effort by the big red, terps had enough to hang on. mcananey was yuge. great season by each squad.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Pretty clear the Terps wore down at the end, both physicially and mentally. They seemed ready for the season to be over. And while I’m not a huge believer in the second-semi thing, Cornell was clearly much fresher, even though the Terps are a deeper team. Wisnauskas dropping an easy pass is something I have never seen. He, like the rest of the team, was just toast by the fourth.

I think the combination of the heat, two physical games within 42 hours, and Cornell getting significantly more rest before the second, had a big impact on the Terps.

But they persevered, and pulled it out. That’s what champions do.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Turned this game off at 9-3, figured it was all over but the shouting. Was very surprised by the final score, went back and watched the replay. Really got to tip your hat to the Big Red, that was the definition of valiant effort. I'm not so sure Maryland wants that game going on for another five minutes. Congrats to the Terps, to the Big Red too. Two very good teams.
Lager

Post by Lager »

Cornell could have EASILY won this game. I don't know how they went into halftime with only 2 goals. They were generating good looks all game with the exception of the third quarter maybe.
Kikin

Post by Kikin »

wgdsr wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:45 pm
Kikin wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:56 pm I think it was the 3 hours but also, the timing of the 3 hours. Getting back to the hotel at 10 pm. No time for post game treatment for injuries and soreness. No time for proper hydration and nutrition vs getting to bed at a decent hour. No time to talk or review immediately post game, you had to get the team back to the hotel just to get food before it got too late. There is a reason, that until today the winner of the late game (second game) has only won the national title twice. Statistics don't lie, and the reality is the second game makes it more difficult and throw a couple of extra hours on top of that with the delay.

valiant effort by the big red, terps had enough to hang on. mcananey was yuge. great season by each squad.
As reported this week on LSN, lax sports network podcast, the winner of the second semi final game has only won twice up until today.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

It’s been more than twice, but at least in recent history it’s a pretty stark disparity.

It’s 12 of the last 15 dating back to 2007 - Duke 2010, MD 2017, MD 2022 the outliers.

Going back to 2005 it’s 12 of 17, Hopkins and UVA won playing 2nd in 05 and 06. After that I’m not sure of which team played 1st/2nd, harder to track it down. But that’s still a pretty wild spread; and no such one exists with the men’s basketball tournament for example
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Kikin wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:32 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:45 pm

As reported this week on LSN, lax sports network podcast, the winner of the second semi final game has only won twice up until today.
you must have misheard it. more like "twice in x years stopping when the 2nd semi final winner was winning more".
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Congrats to MD, well done. 1 loss over 2 seasons is amazing; COVID be damned.

Proud that the Big Red stood strong until the very end.

Glad that the Ref's let them play, but both squads were in control 99% of the time. Well coached.

I see the late timeout but Cornell as a 50/50 proposition, but seemed a bit overly cautious to me at the time.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

jrn19 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:40 pm It’s been more than twice, but at least in recent history it’s a pretty stark disparity.

It’s 12 of the last 15 dating back to 2007 - Duke 2010, MD 2017, MD 2022 the outliers.

Going back to 2005 it’s 12 of 17, Hopkins and UVA won playing 2nd in 05 and 06. After that I’m not sure of which team played 1st/2nd, harder to track it down. But that’s still a pretty wild spread; and no such one exists with the men’s basketball tournament for example
Wait… so three of the last five teams to win after playing the second semi were undefeated national champs? That’s all it takes?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jrn19 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:40 pm It’s been more than twice, but at least in recent history it’s a pretty stark disparity.

how many times did the favorite win?
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:41 pm Can anyone shed some light on Makar after the game? Super emotional. Not familiar with the story, if there is one.
Makar is one of the leader and it was touch and go if he could play today. You also remember they lost this game last year.

Makar after the game

https://twitter.com/terpsmlax/status/15 ... cYTHwhfexA
Last edited by AreaLax on Mon May 30, 2022 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viho

Post by viho »

Lager wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:28 pm Cornell could have EASILY won this game. I don't know how they went into halftime with only 2 goals. They were generating good looks all game with the exception of the third quarter maybe.
Get off the 'shrooms! Was never going to happen.

Biggest stories of the game:

-fatigue
-McNeaney
-Terp Defense
-cornell at the X
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

Lager wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:28 pm Cornell could have EASILY won this game. I don't know how they went into halftime with only 2 goals. They were generating good looks all game with the exception of the third quarter maybe.

… but they didn’t so take your L and bow down to your champions the Maryland terrapins. Don’t be a sore loser
molo

Post by molo »

All tournament team?
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:57 pm

how many times did the favorite win?
I mean, there’s only been official lines going back few years, but 07 Hopkins, 13 Duke, 16 Carolina, 19 UVA were def underdogs I would say. 08, 11, 18, 21 were probably pick ems. Years where the clear fave won: 09, 10, 12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Redblood

Post by Redblood »

masondixonlax wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:44 pm
pcowlax wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:41 pm
PulpExposure wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:31 pm Congrats, Terps. Been a pleasure to watch you all year.

Congrats to Cornell for really playing a tough, physical game and never giving up. You guys have a bright future!

And watching Maryland be gassed? And have a ton of uncharacteristic turnovers? Cornell played great defense, for sure. But this is one of the deepest teams in college. The late semifinal clearly had an effect. Cornell could relax and watch Maryland play - the late game is clearly at disadvantage.
You are nuts. You think a 3 hour time difference 2 days ago made an iota of difference? If the game was yesterday morning, sure. They have had 2 nights sleep, it made zero difference. Zero. MD played more D, their starters have t played many full games, they got worn down. To those who point to more winners coming from the first semi…how many of those were upsets vs the favorite just happened to have played first. It makes no physical difference 2 days later.

Your tears are like PEDs to me
Maryland wins the NCAA and you get the award, just following your posts - as the most ungracious guy on this board. PEDs? I'm sure that's where the roid rage comes from. In a sport where brother plays brother, coaches beat schools that they went to, and all around graciousness and good spirit tops everything, you sure stick out. With so many great posters here, its really jarring to run into guys who hate so much on this board. Joewillie has NEVER put any body or school down, only rah rah for the Red. That's positive, why crap on him?
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Redblood wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 6:35 pm
masondixonlax wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:44 pm Your tears are like PEDs to me
Maryland wins the NCAA and you get the award, just following your posts - as the most ungracious guy on this board. PEDs? I'm sure that's where the roid rage comes from. In a sport where brother plays brother, coaches beat schools that they went to, and all around graciousness and good spirit tops everything, you sure stick out. With so many great posters here, its really jarring to run into guys who hate so much on this board. Joewillie has NEVER put any body or school down, only rah rah for the Red. That's positive, why crap on him?
masondixonlax is easily the most insufferable tool on this board.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

ICGrad wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 6:38 pm
Redblood wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 6:35 pm
masondixonlax wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:44 pm Your tears are like PEDs to me
masondixonlax is easily the most insufferable tool on this board.
Victory is sweet 😆

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”