Maryland 2022 National Champions

D1 Mens Lacrosse
molo

Re: Maryland 2022

Post by molo »

I agree with the comment about ssdms and referred to the moving of 20 in another thread. In a game that was basically over but still competitive, it would have been an opportunity to see what ssdm number five could offer.

Post by 127205020 »

# 20 the LSM is only that because they needed him to switch from O-mid in 2019. He's all about team and naturally an O Mid, RB, LB, QB, FS, and/or Monster Back who sacrificed all that. Ask Tills, Jesse B, JR Reppert, Buczek, Petro, Tambroni, Milliman, Tiffany and the Bordley's.
Paddy Terp

Post by Paddy Terp »

Roman Puglise and Brett Makar are both active for today’s national championship game against Cornell, per a team spokesperson.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Paddy Terp wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:02 am Roman Puglise and Brett Makar are both active for today’s national championship game against Cornell, per a team spokesperson.

Well that helps. I’d like to see Pugliese score. He’s been so great honoring a kid he went to high school with, Gus Lee.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Let’s GOOOOO Mary-LAND!!!
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Phew. Relief mostly.

If anyone wants to feel great about the Terps going forward from here, their two most impactful players today, McNaney and Weirman, return next year. Actually I think they’re both eligible for two more years.

John Tillman is such a class act. No coach deserves titles like this guy. And to Logan W: great job! The Tewey for sure is yours. Demaio came to rock. The Terps justifiably were gassed at the end; as much to do with the late tough game against Princeton (and two guys playing with arm casts today) as carrying the weight of the undefeated season.

Congrats also to Conner Buzsek, he’s going to have quite a career.

I wish ESPN would cover the team handshakes after a game.
ObxTerpFan

Post by ObxTerpFan »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:36 pm Phew. Relief mostly.

If anyone wants to feel great about the Terps going forward from here, their two most impactful players today, McNaney and Weirman, return next year. Actually I think they’re both eligible for two more years.

John Tillman is such a class act. No coach deserves titles like this guy. And to Logan W: great job! The Tewey for sure is yours. Demaio came to rock. The Terps justifiably were gassed at the end; as much to do with the late tough game against Princeton (and two guys playing with arm casts today) as carrying the weight of the undefeated season.

Congrats also to Conner Buzsek, he’s going to have quite a career.

I wish ESPN would cover the team handshakes after a game.
Totally agree. I would have loved to see the two opposing coaches in the line.
No, if's and's or but's that was a heck of a team the Terp's beat.
I could care less about who the greatest team crap is
Maryland just won the national championship and they beat a fine squad
That's enough!!!
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Scary enough, so does Makar, Zappitello, and Geppart. Coffman is supposedly back as SSDM, they got the kid from Sacred Heart, and Chase Cope can come back too. So they should have some SSDMs. So the defense looks like it'll be again good - the interesting thing will be how good the SSDMs are, because this year they were absurdly great.

The offense is a totally different question. But there's still a ton of talent, as Long, Malevar, Murphy, Brennan, Koras, Maltz, etc., return, and Daniel Kelly and maybe even Eric Spanos may have a role.
Cno3putts

Re: Maryland 2022 National Champions

Post by Cno3putts »

McNaney MVP ? If not he should have been
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Cno3putts wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:53 pm McNaney MVP ? If not he should have been
He was. Deservedly so.
KI Dock Bar

Post by KI Dock Bar »

While Tillman was being interviewed by Carc, Coach Buczek was in the huddle with his team seemingly waiting for the Maryland team to assemble for the post game handshake. Completely agree that ESPN should show the handshakes but it can be difficult when the winning team does not come together for that moment in a timely manner. Congratulations to the Terps! BE THE BEST!!!
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

PulpExposure wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:53 pm

Scary enough, so does Makar, Zappitello, and Geppart. Coffman is supposedly back as SSDM, they got the kid from Sacred Heart, and Chase Cope can come back too. So they should have some SSDMs. So the defense looks like it'll be again good - the interesting thing will be how good the SSDMs are, because this year they were absurdly great.

The offense is a totally different question. But there's still a ton of talent, as Long, Malevar, Murphy, Brennan, Koras, Maltz, etc., return, and Daniel Kelly and maybe even Eric Spanos may have a role.

I don’t want to slight anyone now, but man, every time I see Smith make an error, it hurts. On the last Cornell goal, I have no idea what he was thinking. The pick was set way in advance. He could have run in front or behind it, but instead he allowed Kelleher or Kirst (not sure which tbh) a completely open shot from 7 yards with 39 ticks left. I mean, at least make the shooter work for it.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:00 pm

I don’t want to slight anyone now, but man, every time I see Smith make an error, it hurts. On the last Cornell goal, I have no idea what he was thinking. The pick was set way in advance. He could have run in front or behind it, but instead he allowed Kelleher or Kirst (not sure which tbh) a completely open shot from 7 yards with 39 ticks left. I mean, at least make the shooter work for it.
Smith was great all year long. Everyone on the team was exhausted and made mistakes.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Man that thread title looks great.

What a team. An amazing, amazing team. Don't really care where they're regarded in history, but they belong in the conversation, and that alone in this day and age is unbelievable. Undefeated. 18-0. 16 years between undefeated teams is almost double second longest gap between undefeated teams in championship history. It just wasn't supposed to happen anymore. And they did it. They got pushed, but they overcame. Just so well earned. If 17 was relief, 22 is affirmation, this has been the best program in the country for a decade and they deserve the titles to go with it.

Roman playing on that cast is unbelievable. I mean unbelievable. He shouldn't have played. But my goodness what a leader. That's crazy. Makar clearly wasn't 100% and yet dug in. Zapitello might go down as the finest Terps defender of the Tills era, he is unbelievable. No one beat that kid the whole tournament. I've never seen Bubba play better or harder than he played this weekend. Higgins won so many big GBs this weekend. Alex Smith playing off a torn ACL with that brace is crazy.

I'm still not convinced DeMaio is ever going to graduate, but he was the player of the game offensively. Tony Time. Long was so key as the one guy who had his usual legs. So happy for Khan and Donville getting to be champions. Great all season. What else can you possibly say about Wiz. He was always on time, every year, for 5 years. I can't recall anyone who got more out of the talent they had than him. Program will miss him so much.

Wierman was the missing piece. His emergence was like taking the restrictor plate off.

But man. Mac. I've been hard on him, maybe too much so, over these last two years, but he has improved so much. He was great the second half of the year and became one of the best goalies in the country and that was more than enough for this team. And then he became the best goalie in the country this month right when they needed him. Unbelievable. 35-1 as a starter. That's nuts.

Such a special team and season. Can't wait to do it all again next year.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

keno in reno wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:02 pm

Smith was great all year long. Everyone on the team was exhausted and made mistakes.
Tore his dang ACL, came back with that huge knee brace, finally worked himself back into great shape, and then clearly re-aggravated it or something last few weeks cause the big brace was back. And yet kept battling and played really well. Will never say a bad word about him
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

KI Dock Bar wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:56 pm While Tillman was being interviewed by Carc, Coach Buczek was in the huddle with his team seemingly waiting for the Maryland team to assemble for the post game handshake. Completely agree that ESPN should show the handshakes but it can be difficult when the winning team does not come together for that moment in a timely manner. Congratulations to the Terps! BE THE BEST!!!
That's normal for national championship chaos. Last year, Tillman went over to Lars to ask them if they could shake their hands and congratulate them. It looked like Buczek kept his team out there to watch Maryland celebrate even after the handshake as positive motivation for next year. How Cornell hired a 26 year old is amazing, but man they are on the rise with him leading the way.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jrn19 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:03 pm
keno in reno wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:02 pm

Tore his dang ACL, came back with that huge knee brace, finally worked himself back into great shape, and then clearly re-aggravated it or something last few weeks cause the big brace was back. And yet kept battling and played really well. Will never say a bad word about him

Ok. That’s more than fair. I agree.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jrn19 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:02 pm Man that thread title looks great.

What a team. An amazing, amazing team. Don't really care where they're regarded in history, but they belong in the conversation, and that alone in this day and age is unbelievable. Undefeated. 18-0. 16 years between undefeated teams is almost double second longest gap between undefeated teams in championship history. It just wasn't supposed to happen anymore. And they did it. They got pushed, but they overcame. Just so well earned. If 17 was relief, 22 is affirmation, this has been the best program in the country for a decade and they deserve the titles to go with it.

Roman playing on that cast is unbelievable. I mean unbelievable. He shouldn't have played. But my goodness what a leader. That's crazy. Makar clearly wasn't 100% and yet dug in. Zapitello might go down as the finest Terps defender of the Tills era, he is unbelievable. No one beat that kid the whole tournament. I've never seen Bubba play better or harder than he played this weekend. Higgins won so many big GBs this weekend. Alex Smith playing off a torn ACL with that brace is crazy.

I'm still not convinced DeMaio is ever going to graduate, but he was the player of the game offensively. Tony Time. Long was so key as the one guy who had his usual legs. So happy for Khan and Donville getting to be champions. Great all season. What else can you possibly say about Wiz. He was always on time, every year, for 5 years. I can't recall anyone who got more out of the talent they had than him. Program will miss him so much.

Wierman was the missing piece. His emergence was like taking the restrictor plate off.

But man. Mac. I've been hard on him, maybe too much so, over these last two years, but he has improved so much. He was great the second half of the year and became one of the best goalies in the country and that was more than enough for this team. And then he became the best goalie in the country this month right when they needed him. Unbelievable. 35-1 as a starter. That's nuts.

Such a special team and season. Can't wait to do it all again next year.

Great post.

I’m really happy for Khan and Donville too. That can’t hurt Tillman when he hears from interested transfers ‘come here and play for Memorial Day weekend’.

Makar didn’t have the Roman cast, but he had some wrist bandage. Those guys were warriors.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

This is really directed to an audience of a very few.

But Luke Wierman is the very first national title winner
from West Chester Henderson (PA),

I guarantee his coach, retired just this year, long time coach
Paul Stankewicz is very proud of his number one student
athlete, Wierman, and especially proud of the hard work
he has put in,

not on anyone’s radar, but his hard work got
Tillman to notice him.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Seems like Makar and Puglise deserve credit for being all-time great Terp lacrosse leaders. As great as Jared was as player, he was a quiet leader by example. These dudes are great, vocal and fearless.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”