23%
Cornell in a squeaker
35%

Total votes: 75

laxfan1313

Re: Cornell versus Maryland

Post by laxfan1313 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:10 am
joewillie78 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:02 am Ok, we have all been wanting to see this matchup but no one wanted to bring it up until it was final.
The BEST ATTACKMAN in the country LOGAN WISNAUSKIS vs THE BEST CLOSE D POLE in the country; GAVIN ADLER.

Gavin has shut them all down and now he gets the best. This will be must see Lacrosse at its finest.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78

Logan will have 9” on Adler if that’s the matchup
So did Myers from OSU & Handley from Penn, etc. Gavin erased them all.
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

nyjay wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:11 pm I'm rooting for the Terps in a blowout. Not that I'm a Terps fan or have anything against Cornell. I just love to see excellence. And capping this historically good season off with a big win in the championship would confirm what we've seen all season - that this Terps team is the best team in a long, long time and arguably ever. I want to see that happen live.
I'm hoping for the exact opposite. What happens when an obviously great team runs up against a really really good team playing their "if we played ten times, we'd be lucky to win one game" one game. What happens when the expected cakewalk to a coronation is transformed into an alley fight where anything can happen? What happens when an expected comfortable cushion headed into the 4th quarter isn't reflected on the scoreboard?

The pressures, psychology, atmosphere and tone of that type of scenario would, for me, make for a much more interesting game than a comfortable Terps victory or blowout - and the subsequent debates over the next thousand years about who was greatest greatest of all time team, despite there being no right answer ever to that question...in the history of any sport....in the history of history.
Last edited by b1w7o9y7h on Sun May 29, 2022 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lager

Post by Lager »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:34 am I think folks are underrating how good Princeton is. They are the second best team in the country, and sprinted through two very good teams in BU and Yale. The Princeton-Yale game was not really competitive, Paquette kept it from being a blowout in the first quarter.

Princeton was never going to be an easy match… but the Terps were still up 11-4 on them at one point.

Cornell is probably playing just as well as Princeton, but they have had an easier road thus far, so it’s harder to gauge. I do think Rutgers laid an egg yesterday, and did not play their best. Brecht said as much at the Rutgers presser.

The major issue the Terps face is recovery from their most physical game of the year.
Wow, rutgers got whipped and the coach said they didn't play their best, you don't say. Thank you for that. Anyways, I saw no real signs of Rutgers playing a bad game, Cornell was just way better. Also, at the end of the season Princeton literally lost to Harvard and lost to Cornell in a game where Cornell was winning in blowout fashion for most of the game.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

b1w7o9y7h wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:24 pm
nyjay wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:11 pm I'm rooting for the Terps in a blowout. Not that I'm a Terps fan or have anything against Cornell. I just love to see excellence. And capping this historically good season off with a big win in the championship would confirm what we've seen all season - that this Terps team is the best team in a long, long time and arguably ever. I want to see that happen live.
I'm hoping for the exact opposite. What happens when an obviously great team runs up against a really really good team playing their "if we played ten times, we'd be lucky to win one game" one game. What happens when the expected cakewalk to a coronation is transformed into an alley fight where anything can happen? What happens when an expected comfortable cushion headed into the 4th quarter isn't reflected on the scoreboard?

The pressures, psychology, atmosphere and tone of that type of scenario would, for me, make for a much more interesting game than a comfortable Terps victory or blowout - and the subsequent debates of the next thousand years about who was greatest greatest of all time team, despite there being no right answer ever to that question in the history of any sport in history.
Fair enough. That would be thoroughly compelling. I'd prefer not to end up with a 2007 Patriots situation though (not to say Cornell is undeserving like the NYG were).
Pork42

Post by Pork42 »

This is not Terp Gimme. They will need their best to get by this gritty Cornell team. I like fact Ierlan and McNaney are a could upstate guys and solid GK
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Lager wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:26 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:34 am I think folks are underrating how good Princeton is. They are the second best team in the country, and sprinted through two very good teams in BU and Yale. The Princeton-Yale game was not really competitive, Paquette kept it from being a blowout in the first quarter.

Princeton was never going to be an easy match… but the Terps were still up 11-4 on them at one point.

Cornell is probably playing just as well as Princeton, but they have had an easier road thus far, so it’s harder to gauge. I do think Rutgers laid an egg yesterday, and did not play their best. Brecht said as much at the Rutgers presser.

The major issue the Terps face is recovery from their most physical game of the year.
Wow, rutgers got whipped and the coach said they didn't play their best, you don't say. Thank you for that. Anyways, I saw no real signs of Rutgers playing a bad game, Cornell was just way better. Also, at the end of the season Princeton literally lost to Harvard and lost to Cornell in a game where Cornell was winning in blowout fashion for most of the game.
It was a blowout 1st quarter. Princeton played two back to back bad quarters. Couldn’t get the tying goal against Cornell. I believe the game would have turned
“I wish you would!”
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Maryland obviously deserves to be the clear favorite. However, at the same time, one of my favorite pieces of memorabilia is a tee shirt from the New England Patriots that reads "19-0 - The Perfect Season". I bought it from a vendor in the Dominican Republic where the Patriots shipped the shirts after the Giants beat them in the Super Bowl. They were used in car washes and oil change facilities. The game is played on the field, not on a blog. I won't waste anyone's time with detailed analysis. I'll be rooting for the Big Red and rooting for them regardless of the outcome.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Rutgers attack was lethargic at best. Could have been caused somewhat by Cornell obviously, but even the Rutgers attack passing and ride were atrocious, especially for a semi final. And that wasn’t caused by Cornell.

Something was off. Maybe seeing Petrakis dominate FOGO dispirited Rutgers. Or not getting the first couple shots past Peters? They simply played (on offense) with a lack of urgency. Imo.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 1:03 pm

It was a blowout 1st quarter. Princeton played two back to back bad quarters. Couldn’t get the tying goal against Cornell. I believe the game would have turned
The box score of the Cornell Princeton game tells a somewhat different story.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 2:09 pm

Rutgers attack was lethargic at best. Could have been caused somewhat by Cornell obviously, but even the Rutgers attack passing and ride were atrocious, especially for a semi final. And that wasn’t caused by Cornell.

Something was off. Maybe seeing Petrakis dominate FOGO dispirited Rutgers. Or not getting the first couple shots past Peters? They simply played (on offense) with a lack of urgency. Imo.
If Rutgers was thrown off by not getting their first couple past Peters, then they do have a legit excuse for playing so poorly as they all must have been shrooming before the game.🍄🍄🍄
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

pcowlax wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 2:11 pm

If Rutgers was thrown off by not getting their first couple past Peters, then they do have a legit excuse for playing so poorly as they all must have been shrooming before the game.🍄🍄🍄

I don’t disagree.

Getting the boys ready is on the coach and senior leaders.
MDGrad2012

Post by MDGrad2012 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 2:20 pm

I don’t disagree.

I think the implication is that they were on shrooms because Peters is the Princeton goalie.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDGrad2012 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 2:22 pm

I don’t disagree.

I think the implication is that they were on shrooms because Peters is the Princeton goalie.

Over my head. 😕
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 2:33 pm
MDGrad2012 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 2:22 pm

I don’t disagree.

Over my head. 😕
I don’t disagree.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

I’m sensing here that anyone who ever attended an Ivy is pulling for Cornell.

Yet most B1G fans from other teams aren’t pulling for Maryland. Hopkins probably isn’t.

I’m from the SEC, and we are rooting for the Terps.

And seeing how this game is in East Hartford, essentially the belly of the beast geographically for the Ivies, Maryland should feel play like they’re in enemy territory, an underdog of sorts, no friends except from the best football conference in the country.

Maryland should show those smug Ivy fans what’s up. Play tough. Play with purpose. Fresh legs; use your middie depth and wear down Cornell.

The heartland is behind UMD. LFG!!!! C’mon, Demaio!!!!!!
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 2:41 pm I’m sensing here that anyone who ever attended an Ivy is pulling for Cornell.

Yet most B1G fans from other teams aren’t pulling for Maryland. Hopkins probably isn’t.

And seeing how this game is in East Hartford, essentially the belly of the beast geographically for the Ivies, Maryland should feel play like they’re in enemy territory, an underdog of sorts, no friends except from the best football conference in the country.

Maryland should show those smug Ivy fans what’s up. Play tough. Play with purpose. Fresh legs; use your middie depth and wear down Cornell.

Let me guess--you're a Cowboys fan
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Ezra White wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 2:09 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 1:03 pm

The box score of the Cornell Princeton game tells a somewhat different story.
You are correct. It was three bad quarters, including Harvard game. It was a blowout for the first half. 15-13 at end of three and it was 10-6 Princeton in 2nd half. Cornell won the 4th 3-2. That was really the difference in the game. Wasn’t a blow out for most of the game, not in the sense of what that generally means. It was 14-13 with 1 minute left in 3rd. Cornell pulled it’s starters?
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Sun May 29, 2022 2:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“I wish you would!”
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

laxjuris wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 2:46 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 2:41 pm I’m sensing here that anyone who ever attended an Ivy is pulling for Cornell.

Lol never. The Cowboys….Probably the team I irrationally hate the most.

Tampa Bay Bucs are only an hour away. They’ve been my favorite through good times and really bad times.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 2:51 pm
laxjuris wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 2:46 pm

Lol never. The Cowboys….Probably the team I irrationally hate the most.

Tampa Bay Bucs are only an hour away. They’ve been my favorite through good times and really bad times.
Well, our Cowboys hatred gives us something in common
molo

Post by molo »

Of course Maryland is favored, but they gave CD not faced an attack like Cornell’s thus year. Whoever draws Maryland’s third close defenseman will have the advantage in that all Cornell’s attackmen can carry, dodge, feed, and shoot. When Puglise was hurt, rather than go to their vaunted depth at ssdm, Maryland moved Geppert from pole to ssdm and rotated him with the two AAs and Smith. If Kelleher draws the pole, I like Cornell’s other middies, Coyle in particular, against Maryland’s shorts.
Red will need to keep face-offs close.
Will the time differential matter, or is it just a talking point?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”