Total votes: 75

Peter Brown

Cornell versus Maryland

Post by Peter Brown »

It’s come to this
DMac

Re: Cornell versus Maryland

Post by DMac »

Only choices are blowout and squeaker, how 'bout by a few?
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

I've watched every Maryland game except High Point, and about 50% of Cornell's games. I think Maryland will win, but Princeton used exactly the right tactics to try to disrupt Maryland, and laid out a blueprint. They played extremely physical on defense, and went after every groundball with everything they had. Cornell has a similar style in terms of being actively disruptive on defense, and focusing on groundballs, so they already follow the blueprint naturally.

I think Makar takes Long, and Zapitello takes Kirst, basically to shut down the two guys who can create for Piatelli. They put Rahill on him, and slide with a shortie whenever he gets close to the crease - everything for him is forced to the outside, no easy looks near the cage. Maryland has the close defense to limit Cornell's attack, if not totally contain them. It looked like Puglise was geared up and ready to go in the 4th quarter, so hopefully he will be healthy (and rested).

On the other side of the ball, no team spins the ball and gets a defense out of shape like the Terps, and Cornell really hasn't seen a similar offense, certainly not one that can execute at the level that the Terps do. They only have a day or so to prepare. And while Adler is the best close defender in the country, and Follows has looked great as a rookie, and several other guys have stepped up for Cornell, I just don't see them being able to keep up when Maryland is on offense. If they play the aggressive style that Princeton did, and press their matchups, they could wear out by the fourth quarter.

This is of course a game where Petrakis has to keep it close at the dot, or it will get ugly. He has played very well in the last couple of games, though, and Wierman has been held to about even by Phaup, Rowlett, and a couple of Hopkins' FOGOs in the second game... so there is hope for the Big Red.

Cornell will need to get past McNaney as well, who has been the hottest goalie in the tournament.

Going to be a hell of a game, though. I love the MDW format, but this is one where a week in between games would have given both coaches (and particularly Buczek) the opportunity to really prepare a thorough gameplan.
Last edited by MoralTerpitude on Sat May 28, 2022 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

For any of the Ivy League cognescenti here.....how does Cornell's defense compare to Princeton's?

I ask because Maryland's relative thorn in their side is an athletic, hyperaggresive defense...like Notre Dame and Princeton. I know Adler is great, but the Terps can always work around 1 great defensive player. Is Cornell's total defense as good as Princeton? Because once the Tigers settled in, they played well enough to win.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Cornell has all of their long poles healthy and their SSDM have been playing well. In goal, Chase Ierlan is playing up to his potential, which is high. We're seeing a Cornell defense that's improved significantly over the season.

If Cornell can bring the same energy and intensity they brought against Rutgers, they could win.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

So if you look at the Cornell v. Rutgers poll from earlier this week, I'm the lone f/ckwit who voted Cornell in a blowout. Cornell is playing incredible lacrosse right now. I think they stun Maryland on Monday.

I think Cornell's attack wins the individual matchups in a way Princeton was unable to and they are able to put enough goals in the net to win.
Last edited by ICGrad on Sat May 28, 2022 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

keno in reno wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:39 pm For any of the Ivy League cognescenti here.....how does Cornell's defense compare to Princeton's?

I ask because Maryland's relative thorn in their side is an athletic, hyperaggresive defense...like Notre Dame and Princeton. I know Adler is great, but the Terps can always work around 1 great defensive player. Is Cornell's total defense as good as Princeton? Because once the Tigers settled in, they played well enough to win.
Only IMO: It’s hard to say. Cornell’s defense has stepped up the past few weeks, partly because of guys coming back from injury (Follows), more intense focus (finals are over), and partly because the team as a whole is gelling at the right time.

Cornell beat Princeton 18-15 during the regular season, but if you look at the box score you’ll see Cornell outscored them 12-5 in the first half. Then the Tigers scored 8 in the third & 2 in the 4th. The third period was not atypical for Cornell this season in that in several games Cornell became (or opponents caused Cornell to become) disorganized for a period or more. In the tourney so far, Cornell has stayed dialed in. And, as the defense has become more organized, it has also become more aggressive.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Cornell has not played as well on short rest, and at least for chunks of the regular season they allowed teams to jump out to big leads on them. So those will be interesting factors to watch on Monday. Needless to say, they can't afford to fall behind by five or six goals to Maryland.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

ICGrad wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:58 pm So if you look at the Cornell v. Rutgers poll from earlier this week, I'm the lone f/ckwit who voted Cornell in a blowout. Cornell is playing incredible lacrosse right now. I think they stun Maryland on Monday.

I think Cornell's attack wins the individual matchups in a way Princeton was unable to and they are able to put enough goals in the net to win.
You also thought Princeton would win by 3
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

So Maryland was never in danger of losing today, but the stats were not great. In hindsight, it sure looks like McNaney's 19 saves were the difference.
random observer

Post by random observer »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:27 pm I've watched every Maryland game except High Point, and about 50% of Cornell's games. I think Maryland will win, but Princeton used exactly the right tactics to try to disrupt Maryland, and laid out a blueprint. They played extremely physical on defense, and went after every groundball with everything they had. Cornell has a similar style in terms of being actively disruptive on defense, and focusing on groundballs, so they already follow the blueprint naturally.

I think Makar takes Long, and Zapitello takes Kirst, basically to shut down the two guys who can create for Piatelli. They put Rahill on him, and slide with a shortie whenever he gets close to the crease - everything for him is forced to the outside, no easy looks near the cage. Maryland has the close defense to limit Cornell's attack, if not totally contain them. It looked like Puglise was geared up and ready to go in the 4th quarter, so hopefully he will be healthy (and rested).

On the other side of the ball, no team spins the ball and gets a defense out of shape like the Terps, and Cornell really hasn't seen a similar offense, certainly not one that can execute at the level that the Terps do. They only have a day or so to prepare. And while Adler is the best close defender in the country, and Follows has looked great as a rookie, and several other guys have stepped up for Cornell, I just don't see them being able to keep up when Maryland is on offense. If they play the aggressive style that Princeton did, and press their matchups, they could wear out by the fourth quarter.

This is of course a game where Petrakis has to keep it close at the dot, or it will get ugly. He has played very well in the last couple of games, though, and Wierman has been held to about even by Phaup, Rowlett, and a couple of Hopkins' FOGOs in the second game... so there is hope for the Big Red.

Cornell will need to get past McNaney as well, who has been the hottest goalie in the tournament.

Going to be a hell of a game, though. I love the MDW format, but this is one where a week in between games would have given both coaches (and particularly Buczek) the opportunity to really prepare a thorough gameplan.
It will be Makar on Kirst and Zappitello on Long. Makar is the physical bruiser and Zappitello is the guy who matches feet with quicker attackmen.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

ICGrad wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:58 pm I think Cornell's attack wins the individual matchups in a way Princeton was unable to and they are able to put enough goals in the net to win.
Curious who you think will win the matchups? Makar and Zappitello haven't lost a matchup all season, so I'm not trolling or flaming at all, curious what matchups you see favorable for Cornell.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Maryland has the best one-on-one defense in lacrosse (college or otherwise). They never seem to lose their matchups.

The Terps played their “B” game and beat a pretty good Princeton team by five. They can beat you in so many different ways.

I expect Cornell to make a game of it, with Maryland eventually pulling away for a comfortable win and Tillman’s second national championship.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:48 pm Maryland has the best one-on-one defense in lacrosse (college or otherwise). They never seem to lose their matchups.

The Terps played their “B” game and beat a pretty good Princeton team by five. They can beat you in so many different ways.

I expect Cornell to make a game of it, with Maryland eventually pulling away for a comfortable win and Tillman’s second national championship.

DocBarrister
Maryland has played their B game a couple of other times this year, against ND and Ohio State. The games following, they jumped out to an 11-0 lead on Albany before the Hounds made the final scoreline more, um, respectable; and they jumped all over Hopkins and completely ruined Senior Day at Homewood.

I think they’re going to be pissed at their performance, and really play a great game on Monday.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

I like Cornell’s attack, but I suspect it to be neutralized by UMd. Nor sure Cornell has the middies. Maryland is a tall order, but this is why games are played.
“I wish you would!”
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Not sure Maryland played a B game. Defense was A+. Offense missed a few relatively easy ones, but Logan made a similar number of excellent saves. Princeton was just a tough opponent.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

keno in reno wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:39 pm For any of the Ivy League cognescenti here.....how does Cornell's defense compare to Princeton's?

The Princeton and Cornell defenses both had their ups and downs, but I think the Big Red's is a bit better. Of course, Maryland has an extremely good defense. I hope the refereeing decisions are sound Monday, consistent and equitable. This final has the makings of a really good game.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Cornell, 13-11.
Cornell is playing gorgeous lacrosse, got the eye of the tiger, fire in the belly.
They aint gonna get beat by "the greatest team ever" sitting high on their
undefeated perch.
Book it.
random observer

Post by random observer »

keno in reno wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:13 am Not sure Maryland played a B game. Defense was A+. Offense missed a few relatively easy ones, but Logan made a similar number of excellent saves. Princeton was just a tough opponent.
By their unprecedented standards it was a B game. Defense not quite an A+; if McNaney doesn't have the best game of his career there's a not insignificant chance they're watching the final from the couch.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

DMac wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:45 am Cornell, 13-11.
Cornell is playing gorgeous lacrosse, got the eye of the tiger, fire in the belly.
They aint gonna get beat by "the greatest team ever" sitting high on their
undefeated perch.
Book it.
Come on Dmac, if it's Cornell/Maryland, the score HAS TO BE 16-13 CORNELL. Yup, I love living in the past.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”