Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by wgdsr »

i thought you guys promised not to create these kinds of distractions during final four week?
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:28 am
joewillie78 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:20 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:11 am
CU77 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:30 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:32 pm
Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:36 pm
This is not a sign that PM had his hand forced into anything or that only JHU guys work as coaches at JHU.
Aw c'mon. LOL
Definitely a good smart hire for the program, but I HIGHLY doubt Milliman had anything to with it.
This hire puts him squarely on the hot seat. He's the next fall guy; writing is on the wall.
Again, PM's best move at this point is to find an exit ramp while he still can.
The 2022 season isn't even over yet and already we have a strong contender for the dumbest post of 2023. :roll:

You Hop guys sure provide a lot of free entertainment. :D
How would you feel if PM had run off Jeff Teat when he was there?
Is this a comparison of Epstein to Jeff Teat? I'm not saying that's not valid, although I would disagree, but want to make sure that's the point you are trying to make?
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
No, I'm comparing him to Murphy. Murphy was our best attackman before PM got here. Now he's starring for the Terps.
Do you not see how bad this is??
And I didn't see Cornell making any effort to hold onto Milliman. They just let him walk and ended up with the better coach.
He can't recruit and he sucks as a coach. Unless he wins the NC there's not way he gets a contract extension.
If I were him, I'd be looking for a new home ASAP.
Now this is unfair. Cornell made no effort to keep Petramala, they made no effort to keep Tambroni and of course made no effort to keep Milliman as Cornell simply will not pay Lax head coach what schools like Hopkins and Penn State etc are willing to pay. Cornell is simply not going to get into a bidding war with these schools. It saddens me as we know in advance here at Cornell that if a coach has success, that they may bolt to a MUCH higher paying job, and I can't blame them for that. Connor is a Cornell alum, of which the others weren't so we are all hopeful he stays, but again, if a job opens and they can DOUBLE their salary, their is always the chance they go.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

joewillie78 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:09 am
Now this is unfair. Cornell made no effort to keep Petramala, they made no effort to keep Tambroni and of course made no effort to keep Milliman as Cornell simply will not pay Lax head coach what schools like Hopkins and Penn State etc are willing to pay. Cornell is simply not going to get into a bidding war with these schools. It saddens me as we know in advance here at Cornell that if a coach has success, that they may bolt to a MUCH higher paying job, and I can't blame them for that. Connor is a Cornell alum, of which the others weren't so we are all hopeful he stays, but again, if a job opens and they can DOUBLE their salary, their is always the chance they go.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Well, hey, it worked out for you. You guys are in the Final Four and we're out of the playoffs for the second year in a row.
I think you may seriously want to hold onto the coach you've got right now.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78

Isn’t the HC position fully endowed at Cornell? There was a time when an effort to fund the full lax program was thought about.

I have been told It is much more efficient to hire a coach from within than it is to spend the time doing a formal search bcs of the process that needs to be followed

In the event money would not have retained Petro,
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

OCanada wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:49 am Now this is unfair. Cornell made no effort to keep Petramala, they made no effort to keep Tambroni and of course made no effort to keep Milliman as Cornell simply will not pay Lax head coach what schools like Hopkins and Penn State etc are willing to pay. Cornell is simply not going to get into a bidding war with these schools. It saddens me as we know in advance here at Cornell that if a coach has success, that they may bolt to a MUCH higher paying job, and I can't blame them for that. Connor is a Cornell alum, of which the others weren't so we are all hopeful he stays, but again, if a job opens and they can DOUBLE their salary, their is always the chance they go.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78

Isn’t the HC position fully endowed at Cornell? There was a time when an effort to fund the full lax program was thought about.

I have been told It is much more efficient to hire a coach from within than it is to spend the time doing a formal search bcs of the process that needs to be followed

In the event money would not have retained Petro,
Yes, of course. It is the Richie Moran head Lacrosse Coach, and all the above; Petro , Tambroni, Milliman, and now Connor have held that TITLE. Title doesn't always equate to PAY, and that is why the first 3 bolted. The pay was just so unequal that they had to go and of course your right, Petro was a famous Hopkins alum.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Petro was not going to stay anywhere if he could coach at Hopkins. I can’t comment on others

The endowed position has X amount of dollars attached go it. I am guessing that Cornell does not want to supplement?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

OCanada wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:51 pm Petro was not going to stay anywhere if he could coach at Hopkins. I can’t comment on others

The endowed position has X amount of dollars attached go it. I am guessing that Cornell does not want to supplement?
Heck, I think Coach Pietramala would return to Hopkins as head coach right now if he were asked. The head coach position at Hopkins was, is, and likely always will be his dream job.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

OCanada wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:51 pm Petro was not going to stay anywhere if he could coach at Hopkins. I can’t comment on others

I presume Crawley will not need a tour of the clc/homewood/charles village to help him get his bearings, although might need a swag update if there have been apparel company changes.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:43 pm

Heck, I think Coach Pietramala would return to Hopkins as head coach right now if he were asked. The head coach position at Hopkins was, is, and likely always will be his dream job.

DocBarrister
Well not without an administration change
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

flalax22 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:35 am
DocBarrister wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:43 pm

DocBarrister
Well not without an administration change
Well, it’s a hypothetical that will never happen, but if the current administration offered Petro his old job back with a five year deal, I would wager he would take it.

Never going to happen, obviously ….

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:43 pm Heck, I think Coach Pietramala would return to Hopkins as head coach right now if he were asked. The head coach position at Hopkins was, is, and likely always will be his dream job.

DocBarrister
I don’t think he would. The JHU of his dream job is gone. He probably knows that now better than anyone.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:09 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:43 pm Heck, I think Coach Pietramala would return to Hopkins as head coach right now if he were asked. The head coach position at Hopkins was, is, and likely always will be his dream job.

DocBarrister
I don’t think he would. The JHU of his dream job is gone. He probably knows that now better than anyone.
Indeed. No way he goes back to work for those that just fired him.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Still no mention of Grant leaving or Crawley incoming from JHU socials. Hope you are having a heck of a vacation Ernie. This is when the school has a real D3 feel.
Lax1

Post by Lax1 »

Anybody know what happened to the preseason hype around Stuart Phillips? Pretty sure I remember reading that he looked better than Epstein as a freshman. High bar. Hasn’t played out that way.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

flalax22 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:22 pm Still no mention of Grant leaving or Crawley incoming from JHU socials. Hope you are having a heck of a vacation Ernie. This is when the school has a real D3 feel.
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ning/59746

makes you wonder if PM will draw rare praise here moving fast to lock up crawley before the coaching carousel gets spinning hard and jobs at schools where coaches who've had more success of late or presumably have more job security open up.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:37 pm
flalax22 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:22 pm Still no mention of Grant leaving or Crawley incoming from JHU socials. Hope you are having a heck of a vacation Ernie. This is when the school has a real D3 feel.

makes you wonder if PM will draw rare praise here moving fast to lock up crawley before the coaching carousel gets spinning hard and jobs at schools where coaches who've had more success of late or presumably have more job security open up.
I’m very pleased that Crawley is returning to Homewood. He is a leader and all signs point to him as an up-and-coming OC.

Having said that, Crawley is not yet among the truly elite OCs in college lacrosse. Coach Milliman hired Crawley to run Milliman’s offense. Doesn’t mean Milliman won’t heavily delegate that responsibility to Crawley. But it will first and foremost be Milliman’s O.

Wish Coach Crawley the best.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:38 pm
jhu06 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:37 pm

I’m very pleased that Crawley is returning to Homewood. He is a leader and all signs point to him as an up-and-coming OC.

Having said that, Crawley is not yet among the truly elite OCs in college lacrosse. Coach Milliman hired Crawley to run Milliman’s offense. Doesn’t mean Milliman won’t heavily delegate that responsibility to Crawley. But it will first and foremost be Milliman’s O.

Wish Coach Crawley the best.

DocBarrister
They resolved an issue decisively which is an improvement over the previous regime. Especially w/Benson's name and maybe Petro's in the mix for future hc jobs and Tilliman already going to the jhu pipeline for an assistant, a target like crawley or someone else might not have been available.

Lot of social media of homewood today. NCAA goes to big lengths in the mens basketball tournament (yes I know a mens revenue sport) these days to cover up the logos of the host schools early in the tournament but even though this is a championship the media these schools like unc are putting out has hopkins all over them. big W for the womens program. They could have easily blacked out those end zones for example.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:28 am
joewillie78 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:20 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:11 am
CU77 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:30 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:32 pm
Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:36 pm
This is not a sign that PM had his hand forced into anything or that only JHU guys work as coaches at JHU.
Aw c'mon. LOL
Definitely a good smart hire for the program, but I HIGHLY doubt Milliman had anything to with it.
This hire puts him squarely on the hot seat. He's the next fall guy; writing is on the wall.
Again, PM's best move at this point is to find an exit ramp while he still can.
The 2022 season isn't even over yet and already we have a strong contender for the dumbest post of 2023. :roll:

You Hop guys sure provide a lot of free entertainment. :D
How would you feel if PM had run off Jeff Teat when he was there?
Is this a comparison of Epstein to Jeff Teat? I'm not saying that's not valid, although I would disagree, but want to make sure that's the point you are trying to make?
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
No, I'm comparing him to Murphy. Murphy was our best attackman before PM got here. Now he's starring for the Terps.
Do you not see how bad this is??
And I didn't see Cornell making any effort to hold onto Milliman. They just let him walk and ended up with the better coach.
He can't recruit and he sucks as a coach. Unless he wins the NC there's not way he gets a contract extension.
If I were him, I'd be looking for a new home ASAP.
Milliman is a good recruiter -- he recruited guys like Teat, Donville, Piatelli, Blake, Adler, CJ Kirst. I don't think he's a great "Xs and Os" coach but a head coach doesn't have to be. I know it's hard for a great program like JHU but if folks are patient, as long as PM gets support from JHU Admissions (and you all would have a better sense of if that's an issue than any outsider) I think you'll see some good talent coming to Homewood.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Was he the lead recruiter at Cornell? At some programs, the head coach delegates most of the recruiting duties to an assistant.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

"All 4 final 4 goalies are 60+save percentage"
"Rutgers has 7 grad students and 27 seniors"
"They are fast and physical at attack and midfield (cornell"
"They pick up groundballs you don't get that second chance against cornell"
"Another d3 grad transfer (from salisbury"
"Watch him use his size (bartolo) and brute force to score"
"These cornell attackmen can ride you (kirst 13ct)"

so many things in this game that have been missing from homewood, and that's just a portion of the comments from the broadcast and this game. A sense of urgency in turning over the roster, quality consistent goaltending, groundballs, size, physicality, force.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”