HS Boys National and Regional Rankings

HS Boys Lacrosse
CT Transplant

Re: HS Boys National and Regional Rankings

Post by CT Transplant »

The only qualification that I would mention are PGs.

Everything else is fine.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Maybe you could differentiate by Household income.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

If_Only wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:18 pm Id like to keep an eye on Mountain Lakes in NJ St Anthony's in NY and Darien in CT. No prep schools just high schools
There is not a weak opponent on St. Anthony's schedule except for end of the year NY LI AAA-AA games (outside of Chaminade, of course). Where StA really can separate itself from competitors is their FOGO spot. That will add up to so many extra offensive possessions over the year.

I never recall from my younger days FOGO's dominating like today...most FO's were true 50/50 matches, with little domination. Today, at both the HS and college level, I feel like there are simply some teams that have dominant FOGO's that used not to exist. And StA has two of them. (one nit, coaches either don't coach their wings well, or HS kids simply forget where to sprint toward, but I see so many missed opportunities from wings at the HS level...if they only knew where to run toward, and where to position during a scrum).

I don't know enough about Mountain Lakes; I do know that Darien has scheduled this year both St. Anthony's and Brunswick, so if they go unscathed, they would by default be my #1. I don't see that this year though. I think they will lose both those games (this, coming from a guy from Annapolis :lol: ).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This weekend's Big Wins, St. Paul's (MD) beat McDonogh (MD), St. Anthony's (NY) beat Delbarton (NJ). Calvert Hall (MD) beat Boys Latin (MD), West Islip (NY) beat Bay Shore (NY), St Anne's-Belfield (VA) beat Paul VI (VA), and Culver (IN) beat Gonzaga (DC).

Three things to remember when looking at the Computer Rankings:
1. The Rankings are currently based on each team's two best Ws and the severity of their losses. i.e. A team with only one win, no matter how good the win is, is at a disadvantage.
2. Each team starts the 2019 season with the same Points that they finished the 2018 season with. After five games, the 2019 Points are erased and the team is only as good as their Ws and Ls in 2019.
3. If your team is not included in these Computer Rankings, we'd love to include them. You can find more information at the top of the FanLax Computer Rankings page.

And, with that said, here are the National and Regional FanLax Computer Rankings for April 1, 2019.
Justafan

Post by Justafan »

CT Transplant wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:50 am The only qualification that I would mention are PGs.

Everything else is fine.
Whats the difference between a PG and a reclass? Nothing. So can't just say PG's. For example, Culver does not take PG's, but just about their whole roster reclassed. Many of the private/non boarding schools have reclass kids on their roster. This is a very complicated subject and is obviously debated all the time. Unfortunately it is debated by many people that really don't know the truths and facts of each school.
Zlax

Post by Zlax »

So if teams in the northeast region, who basically have just began their seasons, have listed that theyve played 8, 10 or more games when they haven’t played anywhere that many,that some of those games are from last season. But then I notice that some teams from the same area have only one game listed. Please explain. Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The 1 game is easy. Either they've only played one game or they've been slow/mediocre about getting their game scores in. The 10 games... if it says 10, they've played 10. Some east coast teams have played more games than others. Or there may be an error. But none that i know of.
Zlax

Post by Zlax »

Sorry, your sources seem to be off. I’m from NY sec 6. These are the top 10sec 6 teams rated in your northwestern region followed by the games played according to your list followed by the actual games played.
Williamsville East 1: 5
East Aurora 8:4
Orchard Park 8:3
Hamburg 8:2
Akron 1:1
Lancaster 6:3
Williansville North 11:3
West Seneca West 1:4
Eden 2:2
Clarence 1:2
Not remotely close. Now, please don’t think I’m being difficult because I’m not. I want this site to be successful for the lacrosse community. I just want to make you aware of the inconsistencies so problems can be worked out.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

i'm unsure what you're looking at:
East Aurora has 3 games on the site, not 8. That you're saying there are 4 is true and... That 4th game was played this afternoon.
Williamsville East: You're saying that we have 1 on the site. We have 4. And you're saying they played 5 games and... again, the 5th game was this afternoon.

You're saying not remotely close and... What are we missing? We seem to be pretty close.
Zlax

Post by Zlax »

Looking at the April 1st northeast rating right now: #89 Williamsville East points 552 games 1( today they played their 5th game.
#140 East Aurora points 515 games 8(today they played their 4th game). This is from your page.
Zlax

Post by Zlax »

We’re looking at two different pages. The national rankings page and the northeast rankings page indicate different number of games played. Not sure why but that’s the inconsistency, neither one of us is crazy🙂.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

HS BOYS (Apr 2): Yesterday, there were numerous Ws and Ls including Gonzaga (DC) beating Bullis (MD) and today we updated the Computer Rankings and... We have a new #1. Computer Rankings.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Z, just looked at what you're saying and... You're right. The number of games within the National Rankings are good but the number of games within the Regional Rankings are off. And I see why so, going forward, they should both be accurate. Thank you for the heads-up.
Zlax

Post by Zlax »

Great!👍
If_Only

Post by If_Only »

Thanks admin. Keep up the good work. I am sure we all want this to work
If_Only

Post by If_Only »

Justafan wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:23 pm
CT Transplant wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:50 am The only qualification that I would mention are PGs.

Everything else is fine.
Whats the difference between a PG and a reclass? Nothing. So can't just say PG's. For example, Culver does not take PG's, but just about their whole roster reclassed. Many of the private/non boarding schools have reclass kids on their roster. This is a very complicated subject and is obviously debated all the time. Unfortunately it is debated by many people that really don't know the truths and facts of each school.
That's the million dollar question. Heck, people have even found their way to get re-classed kids back into Public's too, not just privates.

I would draw the line (and it is in sand) 3 or more key players that should naturally be in college, gets the asterisk in my book. (Especially if a Goalie or FOGO) then its lIke Chris Rock said, "You're supposed to" win.

Now don't confuse me, I don't care if a sophomore or Junior should be a Sr., (sure unfair that they are praisefor being younger when they arent) but they are currently playing on age/level, and have a chance to right the ship and go to a Prep school. but when a kid should either be in college or labeled as PG and is in HS, that's a different story.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If_Only, it's true and the help of the post-ers is appreciated.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

Here are the facts- News Flash- not everyone playing lacrosse in HS is the same age-

Apparently Prep Schools can allow PGs, other schools may let kids reclassify, parents may hold public school kids back- I've also heard that some schools recruit from other towns, states, or countries.

Who really cares and for what an arbitrary national ranking.

Nobody is getting rich going from #32 to #17 in these rankings right- and if you don't like where your team is ranked just look for another listing from one of twenty different ranking providers.

I will tell you that this "ask" only exists in HS sport because of parents.

In college sports and in the real world it doesn't matter.

I'm confident that Roy Simmons didn't care how old Paul & Gary Gait were when they showed up at Syracuse.
In the Syracuse Record Books is there an *next to their names because they were older- nope.
Did the NCAA have to put an * next to their All-American awards because they were older or from Canada- nope.
Did the NCAA put an * next to their national championships or #1 rankings because they had players on their roster that were older- nope.

Before long we'll be asking for rankings based on playing conditions, turf vs grass, I can hear it now "It's not fair 8 of our games were played in the snow and the teams from down south had beautiful weather".

Sit back and enjoy the fact that your kids are playing this great sport and get out of the way.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Amen TopShelf. Amen.
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

Also Agree with TopShelf!

To further that point... do you want your "stud" kid playing varsity as a Freshman or Sophomore? Who's he playing against? Older kids.... If your kid is a "True" senior and playing against PG's, is your son planning on playing in college? If so, then personally I want my kid playing against PG's, because who's he going to be competing against next year?

I'm not saying I don't care about rankings, I might get caught up in it a bit here and there... and might even throw out, "yeah, well their team has, like, 5 PG's"... but at the end of the day I agree with TopShelf. Enjoy it while you can, and I want my kid playing against the best (and hopefully beating the best!), and if he (and the team) doesn't, well there's your benchmark.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”