Coaching Carousel-2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jerseyjames

Re: Coaching Carousel-2022

Post by jerseyjames »

My money is on Benson, wife is an alum with a great job, I think there would be some strings pulled to get the fam all back together. As for St. Johns Kelleher just has to using that for leverage with Manhattan one would think...
Backinshape

Post by Backinshape »

I wouldn't consider it leverage in Kelleher's position. I am pretty sure St. Johns would be offering a salary twice what Manhattan could offer- and the budget for assistants is probably more than double.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Old&InTheWay wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:49 pm I think Stan is dong well at a Florida HS.
Thanks. He’s a good coach.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jerseyjames wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:12 pm My money is on Benson, wife is an alum with a great job, I think there would be some strings pulled to get the fam all back together. As for St. Johns Kelleher just has to using that for leverage with Manhattan one would think...
Something like unlimited food for life in Federal Hill type of string pulling?
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Backinshape wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:21 pm I wouldn't consider it leverage in Kelleher's position. I am pretty sure St. Johns would be offering a salary twice what Manhattan could offer- and the budget for assistants is probably more than double.
Double? Manhattan certainly isn’t the cream of the crop job wise, but I’m sure he makes $90k at least (mostly given the cost of living). I seriously doubt that St. John’s is in the $180-200k range. $120-140k seems more realistic.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

gymman1031 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:44 am
Dux917 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:19 am
jrn19 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:53 pm The word has been Kirwan or Benson for Providence. Guess with Kirwan available we’ll find out if that’s for real.
Either of them seems great - good scoop. Both offensive guys, after the previous Providence staff definitely favored a more defensive style - a change in style seems warranted. As stated in other above posts, talking to Phipps does make a lot of sense too, not just from the already being in the Big East angle, but also being an integral part of the Georgetown resurgence or program building the last few years.

I guess we'll see....Have to think they want to get the next coach in place soon.
I can't think of many better examples in lacrosse history of an assistant coach hire making such a huge, positive difference as Phipps getting hired at G-Town.
Agree he would’ve been a strong candidate and sensical fit. Perhaps they did reach out and he just doesn’t have an interest.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

PC looking at Wojcik is interesting given his lack of success only 50 miles north of Pvd, with several top-10 rated recruiting classes (yes... I know ratings =/= reality...)
He made ncaa, twice? One-and-done.

Tangental ancient non-lax history about waiting on a playoff coach: many many many years ago the NE Patriots were shopping for a HC, looking at the Super Bowl contenders, IIRC Jets & Colts. Pat's "brain trust" narrowed it to 2 assistant coaches, one on each team. Decided to offer the job to the winner's AC. IIRC, Mike Holovak. Not sure it was him, but I AM sure who the other AC considered was: Chuck Noll, who then got offered the HC job by the Steelers. And the rest... is history.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Pats fan bemoaning not winning EVERY year… :)

FTR I’m a diehard Bears fan so perpetually quarterback adjacent but but I liked some of those mid-late 80s pats teams including the one my boys shuffled and mumble rapped all over to be the greatest single season team of all time. Particular fan of Andrew Tippett.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Wojcik made the tournament once; lost in Round 1. He only made the Ivy League tournament 3x in 9 years.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:13 am Typical Pats fan bemoaning not winning EVERY year… :)

FTR I’m a diehard Bears fan so perpetually quarterback adjacent but but I liked some of those mid-late 80s pats teams including the one my boys shuffled and mumble rapped all over to be the greatest single season team of all time. Particular fan of Andrew Tippett.
👍🏻 That Bears team should've won more, but in a conference w that era's Giants & 'Niners, very tough.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

jrn19 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:52 am Wojcik made the tournament once; lost in Round 1. He only made the Ivy League tournament 3x in 9 years.
Yeah he should never deserve another head coaching spot again. He could never have possibly learned from that experience or grown even a little given his advanced age.
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Yeah he should never deserve another head coaching spot again. He could never have possibly learned from that experience or grown even a little given his advanced age.
Well played...

Wojic will absolutely be a Head Coach again. He has experience at a few of the top programs in the country and is an Ivy alum. Some AD will give him a shot and be very happy with the hire.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

bearlaxfan wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:04 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:13 am Typical Pats fan bemoaning not winning EVERY year… :)

👍🏻 That Bears team should've won more, but in a conference w that era's Giants & 'Niners, very tough.
And Redskins..er, Washington football club
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

InsiderRoll wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:05 am
jrn19 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:52 am Wojcik made the tournament once; lost in Round 1. He only made the Ivy League tournament 3x in 9 years.
History tells us these guys don’t get a lot of second chances.

Stagnitta, Haus, etc
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Stagnitta, Haus, etc
Not great examples.

Stagnitta chose to go pro

Haus chose to go DIII
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Have you dealt with him personally?
“I wish you would!”
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

sguy9 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:27 am

Stagnitta, Haus, etc
Not great examples.

Stagnitta chose to go pro

Haus chose to go DIII
Chose to go pro/D3 or didn’t have any D1 options…
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:22 am
I was being sarcastic. Yes I have. He’s a good man, a safe option. I agree that he is not likely the top candidate of the 4 listed, nor should he be. But he is a viable candidate.

I just find it odd that so few lacrosse coaches remain in coaching after getting very far and then getting fired. In most other sports those coaches are still considered very good coaches and usually get other chances.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

InsiderRoll wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:30 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:22 am
I was being sarcastic. Yes I have. He’s a good man, a safe option. I agree that he is not likely the top candidate of the 4 listed, nor should he be. But he is a viable candidate.

I just find it odd that so few lacrosse coaches remain in coaching after getting very far and then getting fired. In most other sports those coaches are still considered very good coaches and usually get other chances.

Just wondering. Of the candidates listed, he seems like he would have just as good a shot as any and, depending on what the AD Is looking for, could have a better shot than a couple of them. Maybe a high powered prep school may be interested. Some guys have taken that track.
“I wish you would!”
Dux917

Post by Dux917 »

He is the only one of the candidates listed that had NCAA head coaching experience, that separates him from the others. Have to believe he has learned some new things at ND. I'm sure the ND experience was good for him, also to get some non-Ivy experience (I know he was at Bowdoin for a bit early too).

Still may not be the top candidate - but does seem to have a lot to offer
Last edited by Dux917 on Fri May 27, 2022 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”