D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Coaching Carousel-2022

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FMUBart wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:15 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:07 pm
Tdemling6 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:37 pm NJIT open

https://lacrossebucket.com/2022/05/13/t ... nson-njit/
Thinking a current top assistant at a successful DI program takes that job.
Good luck to that fortunate fella :shock:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjlHbyjXZnU
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
EasyRider

Post by EasyRider »

Assistant Coach Frank Brown leaving Canisius
Dux917

Post by Dux917 »

Anyone know if Georgetown's Mike Phipps is actually interviewing at Providence?
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:07 pm
Tdemling6 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:37 pm NJIT open

https://lacrossebucket.com/2022/05/13/t ... nson-njit/
Thinking a current top assistant at a successful DI program takes that job.
Why? Because they want to get out of coaching?
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Word is that Jacksonville’s John Galloway, a former Providence assistant, said no to the Friars about the open coaching position.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

OCanada wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:14 am If you look at VAs recruit list you will find a name with strong Cuse connections. The previous coaches dropped a couple balls
His father, one of all-time greats at SU, built a program at Ridgefield that rivals Darien.

As such,I suspect the kids are listening to more recruiting pitches than ever.

And I imagine Tommy Smith,a UVA AA, one of RC's assistant coaches whispered a word or 2 in Ryan's ear.

Chuffed to have a someone with such outstanding blood lines come to C'ville.
Dux917

Post by Dux917 »

gymman1031 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:24 pm Word is that Jacksonville’s John Galloway, a former Providence assistant, said no to the Friars about the open coaching position.
Interesting... If PC did offer, I'm sure they threw a lot of $ at him. Between the money they've put into the new stadium, the Big East money they have, and what they pay other coaches (hoops Cooley and Hockey Leaman make top dollar) - they have the resources I'm sure to get a coach like Galloway's attention.

When they hired Gabrielli, he was coming from being an assistant at Duke, so you might think they would want an already head coach this time around. But the Gabrielli hiring was a long time ago, so if the right guy is an assistant still - I don't think that would scare them off.

If it's an existing head coach, still would think guys like Myers at Lafayette, Wray at St. Joe's, and Feifs at UVm, could be possibles. If they go "big time" assistant - Benson at Maryland (his family is still in Atlanta, but his wife's company as a big office in Boston...) Phipps at Georgetown, Mitchell at Princeton, and Kirwan at UVa (he knows Providence, was an assistant at Brown...)
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Dux917 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:31 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:24 pm Word is that Jacksonville’s John Galloway, a former Providence assistant, said no to the Friars about the open coaching position.
Interesting... If PC did offer, I'm sure they threw a lot of $ at him. Between the money they've put into the new stadium, the Big East money they have, and what they pay other coaches (hoops Cooley and Hockey Leaman make top dollar) - they have the resources I'm sure to get a coach like Galloway's attention.

When they hired Gabrielli, he was coming from being an assistant at Duke, so you might think they would want an already head coach this time around. But the Gabrielli hiring was a long time ago, so if the right guy is an assistant still - I don't think that would scare them off.

If it's an existing head coach, still would think guys like Myers at Lafayette, Wray at St. Joe's, and Feifs at UVm, could be possibles. If they go "big time" assistant - Benson at Maryland (his family is still in Atlanta, but his wife's company as a big office in Boston...) Phipps at Georgetown, Mitchell at Princeton, and Kirwan at UVa (he knows Providence, was an assistant at Brown...)
I would take a big look at Phipps. He obviously knows Big East Lax very well. Also, I am wondering if Galloway wants to stick it out at Jacksonville a bit longer and see what happens regarding Gait at Syracuse. Could Cuse be the dream job for Galloway, who played there?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I can’t see why Wray would leave St. Joe’s, all those years
trying to get into the NCAAs,
and they finally get in,

plus,
an A-10 conference is going to be a real boon to St. Joe’s.
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

10stone5 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 2:01 pm I can’t see why Wray would leave St. Joe’s, all those years
trying to get into the NCAAs,
and they finally get in,

plus,
an A-10 conference is going to be a real boon to St. Joe’s.
I can give you 250,000 reasons!!$$!!
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Can’t see Coach Wray anywhere else but St. Joe’s next year. Everybody back. Building something strong on Hawk Hill. A-10 will be as good as Big East imo. Georgetown is elite. A-10 top to bottom as good or better than Big East right now
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

The word has been Kirwan or Benson for Providence. Guess with Kirwan available we’ll find out if that’s for real.
Dux917

Post by Dux917 »

jrn19 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:53 pm The word has been Kirwan or Benson for Providence. Guess with Kirwan available we’ll find out if that’s for real.
Either of them seems great - good scoop. Both offensive guys, after the previous Providence staff definitely favored a more defensive style - a change in style seems warranted. As stated in other above posts, talking to Phipps does make a lot of sense too, not just from the already being in the Big East angle, but also being an integral part of the Georgetown resurgence or program building the last few years.

I guess we'll see....Have to think they want to get the next coach in place soon.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Dux917 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:19 am
jrn19 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:53 pm The word has been Kirwan or Benson for Providence. Guess with Kirwan available we’ll find out if that’s for real.
Either of them seems great - good scoop. Both offensive guys, after the previous Providence staff definitely favored a more defensive style - a change in style seems warranted. As stated in other above posts, talking to Phipps does make a lot of sense too, not just from the already being in the Big East angle, but also being an integral part of the Georgetown resurgence or program building the last few years.

I guess we'll see....Have to think they want to get the next coach in place soon.
I can't think of many better examples in lacrosse history of an assistant coach hire making such a huge, positive difference as Phipps getting hired at G-Town.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Multiple sources tell Inside Lacrosse that Maryland's Bobby Benson, Navy's Brad Ross, Notre Dame's Chris Wojcik and Virginia's Sean Kirwan are in the mix for the Friars' opening.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ning/59746
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

That's a really good lineup for the Friars. Any of these men could be really good in Providence.
Dux917

Post by Dux917 »

sguy9 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:40 pm That's a really good lineup for the Friars. Any of these men could be really good in Providence.
Agree, a very strong group that could really take PC to the next level. Lots of connections to the school in this group, from previously living in the area to two of them having wife's that are Providence alumni.

With Benson's Maryland team still playing, have to think a final decision won't be made until next week.
Dux917

Post by Dux917 »

Chris Jastrzembski - saying that Manhattan's Drew Kelleher is a possibility at St. Johns.....
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

AreaLax wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:04 pm Multiple sources tell Inside Lacrosse that Maryland's Bobby Benson, Navy's Brad Ross, Notre Dame's Chris Wojcik and Virginia's Sean Kirwan are in the mix for the Friars' opening.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ning/59746
Agreed. In my world I’d probably prefer Seremet to Wojik but a good list.

Speaking of Ross’s, whatever happened to former Butler HC Stan Ross? Always felt like he should’ve been in another D1 HC role but for whatever reason it hasn’t happened.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Old&InTheWay

Post by Old&InTheWay »

I think Stan is dong well at a Florida HS.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”