Cornell 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
ICGrad

Re: Cornell 2022

Post by ICGrad »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:12 pm
groundballs44 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:08 pm
laxfan1313 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:29 pm Angelo Petrakis is 3rd best faceoff man now, as analyzed by Lacrosse Reference. I don't see Rutgers' faceoff man Jonathan Dugenio on the list.
What does this stat mean?
Do even Cornell fans think Petrakis is the third best FOGO in the country? He’s not in the top ten.
Yeah; that dude from tOSU isn't on that list, either. I'm confused.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:47 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:36 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:12 pm
groundballs44 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:08 pm
laxfan1313 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:29 pm Angelo Petrakis is 3rd best faceoff man now, as analyzed by Lacrosse Reference. I don't see Rutgers' faceoff man Jonathan Dugenio on the list.
What does this stat mean?
Do even Cornell fans think Petrakis is the third best FOGO in the country? He’s not in the top ten.
Petrakis may not have been this high early in the season but the last 5 or 6 games have been his best and his last game was an amazing 15/19. Do I think he's top 3 , maybe not but he is definitely Top 10 and he has gotten hot just when Cornell needs him the most. With Cornell's great offense and stubborn D, if Angelo goes 50/50, I love our chances of winning.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
I would put at least the following guys ahead of him right this instant: Wierman, Cole, Wietfeldt, Reilly, Lasalla, Inacio, Colletti, Naso, Myers, and Zusi. I've seen him play against several of those guys (Colletti, Myers, Zusi) and lose, and I've seen Wierman have a tough time with a few of them (specifically Wietfeldt).

Petrakis has been below 50% in two of the last three games. I think he's solid, but the wing play around him has contributed to his lower FO percentages (though it has improved dramatically since the middle of the season).

All that being said, he's one of the last four main FOGOs left, and Dugenio is not a top FOGO either. So I could see him winning that battle.
The only stat Coach Moran paid much attention to was ground balls. If Angelo goes 50-50, Cornell wins the GB battle and Cornell holds Rutgers below their average clear %, I like Cornell's chances. Gavin Adler should slow down Scott, who leads Rutgers in goals & assists, averaging 4 points/game. I look for Matt Licciardi to shoot more. When he is a scoring threat, it opens things up for his teammates. Dodging and passing off won't cut it. He has to shoot. Spencer Wirtheim and Alex Holmes have become scoring threats and when Billy Coyle & Mike Long are on the field together, matchup problems arise for any defense. Connor & Jordan have proven to be great strategists including with personnel choices. Kirst is a great goalie, but surely he has weaknesses that can be exploited. No doubt, a lot of film is being watched. No team is invincible. I remember an undefeated Maryland team leading an undefeated Cornell team 7-2 at the half. The Big Red came back to win 16-13. A perfect 16-0 season. Every starter an All-America including 4 on the first team. Named a Team of Distinction last year. Our 1976 champions. GBR!
semsox

Post by semsox »

Could be nothing, but the Cornell Lacrosse twitter account posted some photos earlier today of the team working out, and #2 sure looked to be in practice gear (with a large knee brace).
CU77

Post by CU77 »

:o
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

semsox wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:53 pm Could be nothing, but the Cornell Lacrosse twitter account posted some photos earlier today of the team working out, and #2 sure looked to be in practice gear (with a large knee brace).
If you add Aiden Blake to the midfield (even for brief spells), this adds to Rutgers' "rope unit's" worries, and could delay slides and double teams on Cornell's best attackmen.

Shot selection will be really important against Colin Kirst. The ongoing concern that I've had watching Ivy teams play in the NCAA Tournament is that they've been forcing low percentage shots against accomplished netminders. Some of this is inevitable between the shot clock and skilled defensive sets. To the extent that low percentage shots can be minimized, Cornell's chances will improve.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Against Ohio State & Delaware. Cornell dominated the ground ball stat. The Rutgers game will come down to: who wants the ground balls more. If the Big Red wins that stat convincingly, it will win the game.

Post by 1766 »

Rutgers is much more athletic in the middle of the field than either OSU or Delaware.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

1766 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:19 pm Rutgers is much more athletic in the middle of the field than either OSU or Delaware.
How do we know that?
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Gobigred wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:28 pm
1766 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:19 pm Rutgers is much more athletic in the middle of the field than either OSU or Delaware.
How do we know that?
We don't! This guy has 172 posts on the Rutgers thread in 2022, 19% of all posts on that thread. Maybe he is lost on the Cornell thread.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

laxfan1313 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:55 pm
How do we know that?
We don't! This guy has 172 posts on the Rutgers thread in 2022, 19% of all posts on that thread. Maybe he is lost on the Cornell thread.
Well… Rutgers did beat OSU decisively in the first game, and again in the B1G tournament. I’m sure 1766 watched both of those games.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:11 pm
How do we know that?
Well… Rutgers did beat OSU decisively in the first game, and again in the B1G tournament. I’m sure 1766 watched both of those games.
So winning games, once decisively and once not, proves conclusively that the winning team is "more athletic in the midfield" than the losing team? Very interesting phenomenon. Rutgers didn't play Delaware, so how was their "athletic in the midfield" superiority over the Hens determined? Look, that may all be true, but it seemed rather a bold assertion with nothing presented to support it. No disrespect intended toward Rutgers...they are solid in every aspect and will be difficult to take down in what looks on paper, based on results with common opponents, to be a pick 'em game.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Gobigred wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:05 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:11 pm
How do we know that?
So winning games, once decisively and once not, proves conclusively that the winning team is "more athletic in the midfield" than the losing team? Very interesting phenomenon. Rutgers didn't play Delaware, so how was their "athletic in the midfield" superiority over the Hens determined? Look, that may all be true, but it seemed rather a bold assertion with nothing presented to support it. No disrespect intended toward Rutgers...they are solid in every aspect and will be difficult to take down in what looks on paper, based on results with common opponents, to be a pick 'em game.
My point is that he has seen Rutgers' midfield go head-to-head twice against OSU'd midfield, and that could be used to draw the conclusion that Rutgers is more athletic. Obviously they didn't play Delaware, so that would be harder to support.

And by the way I actually think Cornell has a great shot at this, especially if it is a one or two goal game in the middle of the fourth quarter. What the Big Red absolutely cannot afford is one of their patented slow starts. Rutgers is not nearly as forgiving as Ohio State if that happens.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

I like Cornell's chances on Saturday -- but the boys will have to bring their best, end-to-end.
Here's why:
-The offense has regrouped since the Blake (and Lombardi) injury. The first line middies are in sync, everyone knows their role. The 2nd line has matured since its "debut"; Wirtheim may now be as much as or a greater scoring threat than any other Cornell middie. No need to comment on the 41/1/15.
-Petrakis seems to have upped his game and stat-wise, there's no reason to believe he won't win 50%; certainly not dominated as was the case earlier in the season. The wings had better make it a GB day.
-Ierlan's confidence should be riding high; he's had consecutive sharp outings.
-I like our poles against...almost anyone.
Key to the game:
-Well coached teams all go after advantageous short stick match-ups. 'Nothing new for Cornell all season. However, Rutgers has multiple talented offensive players. From what I saw of them, they look more capable of winning one-on-one matchups...certainly more so than Ohio State or Delaware. A/the key will be the degree to which our shorties hold up...and the defense makes good decisions and stays connected.
LGR
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

I made a similar post just before the Princeton game, but whatever happens on Saturday, I am immensely proud of how this Big Red Team has achieved and conducted itself. Between Covid, coaching transition, injuries, injury management, and much maligning, the players and coaches have done a remarkable job in being resilient, keeping it classy and overcoming obstacles. The families, alums and fans supporting them have been wonderful. Best of luck and GO BIG RED!
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

;) Best wishes to Cornell.

Having said that … if Cornell actually reaches the national championship game, I think we should go to DEFCON 1 and commandeer every major telescope on Earth to look for asteroids on a collision course … because I’m pretty sure Cornell winning an NCAA lacrosse championship is a sign of the apocalypse.

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister

Post by 1766 »

How do we know that?
I believe that based on games I have seen Delaware play and Rutgers play. I can tell you with certainty they are more athletic in the middle of the field than OSU because it was obvious when they played both times. OSU"s coach went out of his way to mention that athleticism on a podcast he did. I have seen Cornell play and it is my contention they are more athletic than Cornell in the middle of the field too. We will find out if that is true on Sat.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

1766 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:44 am
How do we know that?
I believe that based on games I have seen Delaware play and Rutgers play. I can tell you with certainty they are more athletic in the middle of the field than OSU because it was obvious when they played both times. OSU"s coach went out of his way to mention that athleticism on a podcast he did. I have seen Cornell play and it is my contention they are more athletic than Cornell in the middle of the field too. We will find out if that is true on Sat.
And I believe you're a Rutgers troll who accounts for 20% of all posts on the Rutgers thread and decided to post your comment in the middle of the night on the Cornell thread. Just post it on the Rutgers thread and leave us out of it. Your conclusion about relative athleticism is highly subjective. We shall see who is more athletic on Saturday.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

I am pulling out all stops for tomorrow at noon. I am going with my incredibly lucky NAMATH12 Jersey. My lucky chair is in place. My FLOWER POWER is chilling as we speak. I will even have my great dog Rose, sitting right next to me for even more luck.
Good luck to the BIG RED and to RUTGERS for what should be a great game by two teams that have had great seasons.
No matter what happens tomorrow, this team has been a joy to root for and has kept all us here in Ithaca thoroughly engaged on this wonderful team.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”