Sensible Gun Safety

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
dislaxxic

Re: Sensible Gun Control

Post by dislaxxic »

Just state YOUR position on this issue...and quite with the dumass trolling language...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:27 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:47 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:33 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:12 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:06 pm
jhu72 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:02 pm Greg Abbott comments.
These are the people who blather about "American Exceptionalism," but who have made us into a Third World country. Bad infrastructure, political paralysis, and 350,000,000 guns.
Of course liberals such as yourself will gladly exclude yourself and your ideology from contributing to the mess we are in. :roll: if the solution is to ban all guns let me know how that works out. All of those many people who own illegal firearms will gladly turn them in. Everybody is looking at the guns and ignoring the crazy people behind the guns. What scares the hell out of me is the plethora of unstable people in this country that are willing to shoot innocent people for no reason. It appears this person celebrated his 18th birthday by purchasing the weapons he used. It could be time to raise the age to purchase a firearm to 18. It should also be mandatory to complete a firearm safety course. This is certainly not a solution, but it is a start.
Do you have a link to a piece of legislation that proposes to ban all guns? You sound stupid (again).
That is the SOLUTION that Doc B proposed as a good start. As far as I know there is no current legislation YET to ban all guns. Maybe if you understood the context of what I was saying you wouldn't come across like a moron...
I stand corrected. Doc only wants to ban handguns and semi automatic weapons. You want to get into the what is a semi automatic weapon debate??
Democrats are extraordinarily dishonest about this discussion.
I must admit, Pete that you never fail to disappoint on how big a MORON you are. :oops:

Like gun laws, you will never change either.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

These are the people who blather about "American Exceptionalism," but who have made us into a Third World country. Bad infrastructure, political paralysis, and 350,000,000 guns.
Of course liberals such as yourself will gladly exclude yourself and your ideology from contributing to the mess we are in. :roll: if the solution is to ban all guns let me know how that works out. All of those many people who own illegal firearms will gladly turn them in. Everybody is looking at the guns and ignoring the crazy people behind the guns. What scares the hell out of me is the plethora of unstable people in this country that are willing to shoot innocent people for no reason. It appears this person celebrated his 18th birthday by purchasing the weapons he used. It could be time to raise the age to purchase a firearm to 18. It should also be mandatory to complete a firearm safety course. This is certainly not a solution, but it is a start.
Our nation doesn’t have more people with mental health problems. That’s not why we have more gun deaths than just about any other nation that is not at war.

Our nation has the most gun deaths because we have the most guns.

Those who support the gun lobby and “gun rights” are part of the problem. The blood of those children are on their hands as well.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:03 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:44 am
jhu72 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:06 am
Grow up. No one is insisting all guns must be banned. Americans have owned guns since forever and never had this problem until high capacity, high rate of fire weapons were made legal. Until we made acquiring and carrying a gun in public easier than acquiring a drivers license. :roll: :roll: I am sorry if it offends you, but this is a problem that is almost totally the responsibility of the republican party.
Back up the bus didn't Doc Barrister propose that just a few posts above. He appeared to be serious as a heart attack in doing so. FTR aquirering a hand gun in NYS legally is a monumental task that can take as long as a year depending on what county you live in. Buying any weapon in NYS legally requires an FBI background check from the firearms dealer. I agree that different states are very lax on gun ownership. I've said this a 1000 times, step one should be the BATF cracking down on the sale of firearms across state lines. If the solution is the sale of all firearms be regulated at the federal level.. there are 50 states that will take exception to that and the court cases will go on for many years. I'm all for keeping firearms out of the hands of unstable people. How our nation goes about doing that is no simple task. FTR I'm becoming more and more on the side of limiting the sales of AR-15 type weapons. IMO they are not a practical weapon for home defense. I don't think most folks that own these weapons understand how far a 5.56 round can travel and still be lethal. That would be in excess of 300 meters. That is farther than most people can see.
No he did not. He was specific. Ban hand guns, ban assault rifles.
I own a half dozen guns for hunting. None would be banned under Doc's suggestion.

Yes, this needs to be national legislation and it needs to stand up in SCOTUS.

I'm in favor of legal gun range situations that enable citizens to train on weapons, use them in sport, but not keep them in their homes, nor use them in supermarkets, schools, and churches.

I'm in favor of universal background checks of all guns, all situations, including, even, family transfers. No exceptions.

National legislation.
I corrected my mistake a few posts above yours. You abviously didn't read it. FTR how do you ban semi automatic weapons? It sounds easy until you understand what a semi automatic weapon is. If you ban AR 15 types weapons do you ban the venerable M1 Garland? Both are semi automatic weapons. Both are very lethal weapons with the M1 being much more deadly? I own an M1 carbine. A semi automatic rifle. Hell king Andy couldn't define what a semi automatic assault weapon was when he passed the SAFE ACT. For all the weapons he banned he allowed the Ruger Mini 14 to be sold. The same damn 5.56 round fired by the AR-15. The folks at Ruger are very grateful to king Andy. Their sales went thru the roof.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:41 am
Do you have a link to a piece of legislation that proposes to ban all guns? You sound stupid (again).
That is the SOLUTION that Doc B proposed as a good start. As far as I know there is no current legislation YET to ban all guns. Maybe if you understood the context of what I was saying you wouldn't come across like a moron...
I stand corrected. Doc only wants to ban handguns and semi automatic weapons. You want to get into the what is a semi automatic weapon debate??
I asked you a question. BTW, stop complaining about gun violence in Rochester. Don’t want to see you post anything about that. Crime in Rochester hasn’t stopped YET. Just wait it will.
I don't complain about the violence in Rochester more than Mayor Malik Evans. Trying to deal with it is his problem.
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:25 am
Our nation doesn’t have more people with mental health problems. That’s not why we have more gun deaths than just about any other nation that is not at war.

Those who support the gun lobby and “gun rights” are part of the problem. The blood of those children are on their hands as well.

DocBarrister
If you are of the mindset to shoot people for no reason IMO you have serious mental issues. I'm guessing the defense for the shooter in Buffalo will be insanity. I dont think it will work.
Bob Ross:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Kismet wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:21 am
Peter Brown wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:27 am
Democrats are extraordinarily dishonest about this discussion.
I must admit, Pete that you never fail to disappoint on how big a MORON you are. :oops:

Like gun laws, you will never change either.

Typical Democratic message today: I care more about these deaths than you do.

Meanwhile, this guy captures why Democrats are so dishonest about gun control:

B235459E-15EB-4ED6-B353-B53CBF03A227.jpeg
B235459E-15EB-4ED6-B353-B53CBF03A227.jpeg (150.78 KiB) Viewed 703 times
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:53 am
Grow up. No one is insisting all guns must be banned. Americans have owned guns since forever and never had this problem until high capacity, high rate of fire weapons were made legal. Until we made acquiring and carrying a gun in public easier than acquiring a drivers license. :roll: :roll: I am sorry if it offends you, but this is a problem that is almost totally the responsibility of the republican party.
Back up the bus didn't Doc Barrister propose that just a few posts above. He appeared to be serious as a heart attack in doing so. FTR aquirering a hand gun in NYS legally is a monumental task that can take as long as a year depending on what county you live in. Buying any weapon in NYS legally requires an FBI background check from the firearms dealer. I agree that different states are very lax on gun ownership. I've said this a 1000 times, step one should be the BATF cracking down on the sale of firearms across state lines. If the solution is the sale of all firearms be regulated at the federal level.. there are 50 states that will take exception to that and the court cases will go on for many years. I'm all for keeping firearms out of the hands of unstable people. How our nation goes about doing that is no simple task. FTR I'm becoming more and more on the side of limiting the sales of AR-15 type weapons. IMO they are not a practical weapon for home defense. I don't think most folks that own these weapons understand how far a 5.56 round can travel and still be lethal. That would be in excess of 300 meters. That is farther than most people can see.
... I am not Doc B.
Yeah, Doc B is much more reasonable than you. :P
Bob Ross:
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:33 am
DocBarrister wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:25 am

DocBarrister
If you are of the mindset to shoot people for no reason IMO you have serious mental issues. I'm guessing the defense for the shooter in Buffalo will be insanity. I dont think it will work.
There are people in countries all over the world with serious mental issues. The point is that they can't easily buy a few guns in 15 minutes then go kill two dozen five year olds at a school.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:30 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:41 am
I asked you a question. BTW, stop complaining about gun violence in Rochester. Don’t want to see you post anything about that. Crime in Rochester hasn’t stopped YET. Just wait it will.
I don't complain about the violence in Rochester more than Mayor Malik Evans. Trying to deal with it is his problem.
Stop complaining. Gun violence hasn’t stopped…YET. Nobody has taken all the guns away…YET. Just wait. It can happen.
“I wish you would!”
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Top Texas Republicans Call For More Guns, Fortified Schools, Armed Teachers After Attack

Same old dumbassery from Republicons in Texas. Same old dumbass voters keep sending them back into office...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

I'll also add that it's not just a gun issue. There is also the "violence" part of gun violence.

Universal healthcare
Better education
Better economic opportunities for the poor and a smaller wage / wealth gap

And that's not even touching cultural and societal issues regarding trad media and social media.

So many opportunities to stop the outrage before it gets to the point where someone wants to shoot up a school even if they can't get a gun. But half the country likes to pull the rest of us crabs back into the pot.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

If Pro-Lifers can march with images of an aborted fetus, why can't gun control advocates show images of murdered children?

Apparently, parents of the 19 kids murdered in their 4th grade classroom yesterday had to provide DNA samples to law enforcement because so many of the dead bodies were literally blown away to the point that they were unrecognizable.

"The bodies of the victims from Tuesday’s massacre should be released to their families by the end of the day Thursday or sooner, said Lalo Diaz, a justice of the peace in Uvalde County, who is handling the inquest.

Diaz, whose role is akin to a county coroner, said he and the Bexar County medical examiner visited the shooting scene on Tuesday, as officials worked to identify the victims killed at the school.

“Young children don’t carry an ID with them,” Diaz said in a brief interview. “And we can’t just show them to families and put them up in pictures, because there’s a bad scene.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... 7JE7HKIK5A
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:26 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:03 am
No he did not. He was specific. Ban hand guns, ban assault rifles.
I own a half dozen guns for hunting. None would be banned under Doc's suggestion.

Yes, this needs to be national legislation and it needs to stand up in SCOTUS.

I'm in favor of legal gun range situations that enable citizens to train on weapons, use them in sport, but not keep them in their homes, nor use them in supermarkets, schools, and churches.

I'm in favor of universal background checks of all guns, all situations, including, even, family transfers. No exceptions.

National legislation.
I corrected my mistake a few posts above yours. You abviously didn't read it. FTR how do you ban semi automatic weapons? It sounds easy until you understand what a semi automatic weapon is. If you ban AR 15 types weapons do you ban the venerable M1 Garland? Both are semi automatic weapons. Both are very lethal weapons with the M1 being much more deadly? I own an M1 carbine. A semi automatic rifle. Hell king Andy couldn't define what a semi automatic assault weapon was when he passed the SAFE ACT. For all the weapons he banned he allowed the Ruger Mini 14 to be sold. The same damn 5.56 round fired by the AR-15. The folks at Ruger are very grateful to king Andy. Their sales went thru the roof.
Thanks. Yes, I'd written my response before seeing your correction.

Yes, I'd ban the M1 and the Ruger, as kept at home. I think setting up licensed gun ranges where such weapons could be stored and used in a regulated, safe fashion would be just fine. Including continued 'ownership' of a specific weapon, much like bottles of wine may be stored at a wine storage facility by the owner. You'd simply need to keep and use it there. Come the invasion of the Chinese or the Martians or the zombie apocalypse, you could retrieve it then... ;)

If we imagine a world in which this could actually be passed at a national level, there would certainly be a substantial transition period in getting folks to comply and I'd have a light hand at first to give folks time to adjust, gun storage and range facilities being set up, etc. But the # of guns sold and unsecured would drop substantially and policing could target gun usage by criminals. Community expectations would adjust.

Over time, this would reduce substantially the sorts of gun violence we see all too often, both these massacre sorts of actions, and the gun violence in the streets...the latter, though, I think also requires drug decriminalization and treatment reform, taking the profit out of the illicit trade, making 'street corners' far less critical to fight over.

And not for nothing, hand gun elimination would dramatically reduce accidental deaths in the home and suicides.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

If the framers of the Constitution did not contemplate abortion in 1789 and did not contemplate gay marriage in 1789 - as the strict constructionists tell us is the legal reasoning behind opposing these rights - then they also did not contemplate "arms" as written in the 2nd amendment - to be anything more than a musket. They did not contemplate citizens running around with assault rifles and large magazines and armor piercing bullets.

So I agree that the Constitution gives every American the rights granted under the 2nd Amendment as contemplated in 1789 - the right to own a musket.

Surely there is some room for compromise here. Raise the minimum age to buy a gun to at least 21. Require background checks and licenses and mandatory education. Ban gun sales to those with a criminal record (for certain crimes) and domestic violence offenders and those with specified mental illness conditions. Require safe storage and trigger locks (a good amount of gun violence occurs in the home and through accidents). Stricly enforce straw purchase laws and limit the number of guns that can be purchased in a month or year. Institute background checks for ammunition purchases. Ban bump stocks. End the immunity for gun manufacturers (why does this industry get to profit from this violence with impunity for their actions?). Research and implement smart guns. What is the harm with any of these common sense and modest restrictions.

Regulation over the past 60 years greatly reduced the death and accident rate caused by car travel without banning cars. We can do the same with guns.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

One more thing. The "put an armed law enforcement agent in every school" team took a hit with this tragedy. Law enforcement engaged the Uvalde shooter BEFORE he entered the school. He evaded them and barricaded himself in a classroom and committed every killing in that one classroom. No teacher or ex-law enforcement personnel armed in a school is going to stop these incidents.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Chousnake wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:04 pm One more thing. The "put an armed law enforcement agent in every school" team took a hit with this tragedy. Law enforcement engaged the Uvalde shooter BEFORE he entered the school. He evaded them and barricaded himself in a classroom and committed every killing in that one classroom. No teacher or ex-law enforcement personnel armed in a school is going to stop these incidents.
Let the kids carry guns.
“I wish you would!”
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:34 am
Our troll is finally correct on something. They actually do. Or at least the vast majority of Democratic representatives care more than the vast majority of Republican ones. https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/25/politics ... index.html
Last edited by SCLaxAttack on Wed May 25, 2022 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:12 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:34 am
Our troll is finally correct on something. They actually do. Or at least the vast majority of Democratic representatives care more than the vast majority of Republican ones. https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/25/politics ... index.html
Instructive to watch grandstanding gubernatorial Democratic candidate Beto O'Rourke crash the governor's press conference as the genius Lt. Governor calls him an a-hole on national television as he orders the cops to remove him from the room.
I'm sure glad I don't live in Texas with these morons in charge.

Return to “POLITICS”