Georgetown 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Wheels

Re: Georgetown 2022

Post by Wheels »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:38 pm Different thread, but I don't think we've scratched the surface of how NIL can be used by boosters to pull players, even in smaller sports like ours.

Could get to be quite a mess.
Schools that could really put together good NIL $ for non-revs are exactly the schools that philosophically dislike distinguishing between students and student athletes.

Imagine if Joe Tsai started a NIL fund for Yale lacrosse. Game over.

The Ivies, Patriot League, Hopkins, and hidden Ivies like Georgetown all have the alumni bases to support more than robust NIL collectives. But will those schools want to be anywhere near that? That's a question we don't know an answer to. It's one thing to allow students to do it on their own. It's entirely another thing to support formal infrastructure for it.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

pcowlax wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:12 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:28 pm Image
OK, I am sure there is something I am missing here, maybe didn't get into grad program? but this one seems very bizarre. Georgetown to Jacksonville? Any scoop Hoya faithful?
Grad school isn’t cheap
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Soooo, he wanted to go to graduate school, Georgetown was too expensive so he is going to Jacksonville instead? Not sure what field he is pursuing but those are not exactly comparable schools, no idea of his financial situation but it would seem the tuition would have to be pretty starkly different for that to make any sense at all, assuming he wasn't having any issues on a lax team which is certain to be in the top 3 pre-season next year.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

pcowlax wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:17 pm Soooo, he wanted to go to graduate school, Georgetown was too expensive so he is going to Jacksonville instead? Not sure what field he is pursuing but those are not exactly comparable schools, no idea of his financial situation but it would seem the tuition would have to be pretty starkly different for that to make any sense at all, assuming he wasn't having any issues on a lax team which is certain to be in the top 3 pre-season next year.
What if Jax had money allotted within their 12.6 to make it affordable and Gtown didn’t? That is my point. Getting the Covid year is great, but it unfortunately doesn’t allow each kid to get the same scholarship they had in their previous years. I have no idea if this is the situation here, but know it’s happened to others elsewhere.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Hey, the kid is from Ontario, wanted to spend some time in Florida. Makes perfect sense to me
HGK

Post by HGK »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:24 pm
pcowlax wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:17 pm Soooo, he wanted to go to graduate school, Georgetown was too expensive so he is going to Jacksonville instead? Not sure what field he is pursuing but those are not exactly comparable schools, no idea of his financial situation but it would seem the tuition would have to be pretty starkly different for that to make any sense at all, assuming he wasn't having any issues on a lax team which is certain to be in the top 3 pre-season next year.
What if Jax had money allotted within their 12.6 to make it affordable and Gtown didn’t? That is my point. Getting the Covid year is great, but it unfortunately doesn’t allow each kid to get the same scholarship they had in their previous years. I have no idea if this is the situation here, but know it’s happened to others elsewhere.

Neither he nor Georgetown really wanted to separate but as FEF said, sometimes the money/grad school/opportunity just doesn’t line up. He is a very nice young man who I got to know over the past 4 years and had a great career at Georgetown. Wishing him the best at Jacksonville and hopefully in the PLL post school.
bam1972

Post by bam1972 »

Jacksonville will also give lots of academic money to lax players.
HGK

Post by HGK »

It was the right decision for him and his family. There is nothing nefarious or negative going on here. It’s that simple.
Hoya

Post by Hoya »

HGK wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:54 pm It was the right decision for him and his family. There is nothing nefarious or negative going on here. It’s that simple.
Yep, let’s be happy for him. Excellent Hoya and looking forward to him succeeding next year and in the future.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Wheels wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:34 pm Just a quick comment on "the transfer portal" thing.

Transfers in lacrosse (like almost every other non-rev sport) have been happening forever. The Ivy/PL issue of no 5th year students has created a temporary glut of players from those schools looking to take their COVID bonus year.

Otherwise, there is nothing new about players transferring. For almost all of the non-revs, transfers never even had to sit out a year like they used to for football and basketball.

Only 2 things are now different. One, the formal "portal" allows insight into this previously hidden market. Two, NIL can theoretically be used to entice kids in the portal to go to a different school. But those kids would already have to be in the portal...because...theoretically...coaches can't recruit portal kids until they're in the portal.

But we're talking non-rev sports here. NIL $ won't be the same as it will be for football and basketball. Joey Spallina is probably the exception not the rule...unless Gait Lacrosse changes its entire business strategy to just support Syracuse lacrosse. Stranger things have happened, of course.
Agreed on all this.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Homer

Post by Homer »

I don't see that there's anything weird or confusing about this. He got his Georgetown degree, which is what he originally set out to do. Finishing with an extra year of eligibility was an unanticipated windfall from 2020. Guy was academic All-Big East every year, no slacker by any means, but he may or may not have had more schooling on the radar as a possibility for right after college. From what others have posted, it sounds like his first choice would've been to stick around at Georgetown. But once that turned out not to be practicable, what's wrong with going to Jacksonville?

Maybe he wants to be in Florida, and this gives him a year to network down there before launching out on the job market. Maybe he's a Canuck who feels like he's seen one side of the USA, i.e., "woke latte townhouse imperial courtiers educated 'in the Jesuit tradition'" and is curious how the other half lives.

Alternatively, maybe, just maybe, he will someday come to look back on this decision as driven not by pure rationality, but by some vague mix of beach-and-hot-girls-related factors. I look back in the same way on several important decisions I made when I was around Watson's age. And those decisions resulted in *some of the happiest moments of my life*, really only trumped by having kids of my own and getting to enjoy their prerogative to be silly and stupid and free.

tl;dr: Get off the kid's back. He's earned the benefit of the doubt that this is probably a good decision. And even if it turns out to be a "bad" decision, he's earned the right to make it.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

bam1972 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:41 pm Jacksonville will also give lots of academic money to lax players.
Yes, what’s a average student elsewhere is an elite merit aid kid there. Ans they utilize it well I’ve heard numerous times.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Homer wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:45 pm
I don't see that there's anything weird or confusing about this. He got his Georgetown degree, which is what he originally set out to do. Finishing with an extra year of eligibility was an unanticipated windfall from 2020. Guy was academic All-Big East every year, no slacker by any means, but he may or may not have had more schooling on the radar as a possibility for right after college. From what others have posted, it sounds like his first choice would've been to stick around at Georgetown. But once that turned out not to be practicable, what's wrong with going to Jacksonville?

Maybe he wants to be in Florida, and this gives him a year to network down there before launching out on the job market. Maybe he's a Canuck who feels like he's seen one side of the USA, i.e., "woke latte townhouse imperial courtiers educated 'in the Jesuit tradition'" and is curious how the other half lives.

Alternatively, maybe, just maybe, he will someday come to look back on this decision as driven not by pure rationality, but by some vague mix of beach-and-hot-girls-related factors. I look back in the same way on several important decisions I made when I was around Watson's age. And those decisions resulted in *some of the happiest moments of my life*, really only trumped by having kids of my own and getting to enjoy their prerogative to be silly and stupid and free.

tl;dr: Get off the kid's back. He's earned the benefit of the doubt that this is probably a good decision. And even if it turns out to be a "bad" decision, he's earned the right to make it.
Nobody questioned Waldbaum using his graduate year there after Tuft which, without getting shot by GTown fans, is a similar profile place. Except substituting DC for Boston meant Waldbaum was around a lot more miserable people…
DMac

Post by DMac »

Wheels wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:51 pm Tucker to Georgetown.

insert<I feel shocked>gif
molo wrote
Will he go back to his natural midfield spot or remain at attack, where thus year’s GT team could have used him?
Where ever they put him he could be a big plus, there's a big but that goes with that though, someone has to tell him to pass the ball now and then when he draws the double (which he will).
Think he had 12 assists on the year, 163 shots, 46 goals, 28% shooter. Should have had 46 assists too but he's going to shoot the ball when he gets it....chokes an offense. Hope he works out for you.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

DMac wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:19 am

molo wrote
Will he go back to his natural midfield spot or remain at attack, where thus year’s GT team could have used him?
Where ever they put him he could be a big plus, there's a big but that goes with that though, someone has to tell him to pass the ball now and then when he draws the double (which he will).
Think he had 12 assists on the year, 163 shots, 46 goals, 28% shooter. Should have had 46 assists too but he's going to shoot the ball when he gets it....chokes an offense. Hope he works out for you.
I wonder if that stat line is more of a product of Syracuse's offense. Every time I watched them it was just an iso on the high wing with a pick for Dordevic with very little ball movement. Georgetown's offense has been much different and they usually share the ball extremely well. Just look at the stats for team assists per game in the country the last 4 years tells the same picture. GT has ranked (7,3,6,12) while Cuse has ranked (40,18,27,25). I am sure Cuse felt he was one of their only guys and needed to get him the ball, where hopefully that isnt the case this upcoming year in DC. Will be interesting to see how it goes.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Jesus Christ, what is your problem? There was no criticism, slight or the slightest negativity. There have been many, many transfers the past few years. I can’t think of another high profile kid transferring/grad moving to a lesser academic school with a lesser lax program and wondered if anyone knew if there was a specific reason. Which, in the normal world, is not the same thing as implying there was a nefarious reason. If someone left Duke for High Point or Harvard for Bryant I would wonder the same thing. Bizarre responses, it sounds like this whole board is Watson’s mother.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

pcowlax wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:53 am

Jesus Christ, what is your problem? There was no criticism, slight or the slightest negativity. There have been many, many transfers the past few years. I can’t think of another high profile kid transferring/grad moving to a lesser academic school with a lesser lax program and wondered if anyone knew if there was a specific reason. Which, in the normal world, is not the same thing as implying there was a nefarious reason. If someone left Duke for High Point or Harvard for Bryant I would wonder the same thing. Bizarre responses, it sounds like this whole board is Watson’s mother.
there was plenty of negative slight. your prerogative, but claiming ignorance to it is pretty bizarre itself. "for it to make any sense at all". maybe take the next few plays off?
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

If you would quote the whole sentence, the “for it to make any sense at all” was referring to if the transfer was due to a difference in tuition between grad schools. I completely stand by that. Finances can certainly be the reason you chose grad school at Jacksonville over Georgetown but not if the difference is $3,000 a year. For that to make any sense at all as the reason, the difference would have to be stark, as I said. Otherwise doing it for financial reasons doesn’t make any sense at all. If it was for girls and sun, then that is the reason and just saying that would have been a normal response.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:44 am

molo wrote
I wonder if that stat line is more of a product of Syracuse's offense. Every time I watched them it was just an iso on the high wing with a pick for Dordevic with very little ball movement. Georgetown's offense has been much different and they usually share the ball extremely well. Just look at the stats for team assists per game in the country the last 4 years tells the same picture. GT has ranked (7,3,6,12) while Cuse has ranked (40,18,27,25). I am sure Cuse felt he was one of their only guys and needed to get him the ball, where hopefully that isnt the case this upcoming year in DC. Will be interesting to see how it goes.
I do not think that his stats at SU will necessarily carry over to how he will perform at GU. The experience at SU was rough after a great freshman year in 2018 -- 2019 redshirt due to injury, 2020 COVID halt, 2021 with last year of Desko and the off field distractions of alleged assault by another player, and then the 2022 losing season under a new staff.

At GU, he will playing with a more talented team with a solid offensive system, and he has the skill set which GU needs in terms of dodging. I think a player with his talent will be happy to give up the ball with the goal of winning.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

Jldlax wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:45 am
FlyEaglesFly wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:44 am

molo wrote
I do not think that his stats at SU will necessarily carry over to how he will perform at GU. The experience at SU was rough after a very good freshman year in 2018 -- 2019 redshirt due to injury, 2020 COVID halt, 2021 with last year of Desko and the off field distractions of alleged assault by another player, and then the 2022 losing season under a new staff.

At GU, he will playing with a more talented team with a solid offensive system, and he has the skill set which GU needs in terms of dodging. I think a player with his talent will be happy to give up the ball to shooters like Bundy, McDermott et al with the goal of winning.

On a related note, with GU now picking up Solomon from UNC, in addition to Kelly and Minicus, it will be interesting to see if GU plays Dordevic at midfield. This will pose a dilemma for opposing Ds in terms of whether to pole him or Bundy.
Last edited by Jldlax on Wed May 25, 2022 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”