Princeton in a blowout
3%
Princeton in a squeaker
13%

Total votes: 78

Peter Brown

Re: Princeton versus Maryland

Post by Peter Brown »

palaxoff wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:49 am Lets not forget Maryland's D side it is pretty damn good. With the Goal tending, Stong D, very efficient Clearing and Strength at the face off "X" Princeton will need to find ways to possess the ball, add Maryland's Offense holdingthe ball and the shot clock. I'd say Princeton have to have a perfect game and hope Maryland doesn't play well. I say Maryland just under their season average 7-8 goal margin.

I’d agree but I think there’s one more facet to the game.

This game is in essence a home game for Princeton. 5 kids just from one school in Greenwich with other Connecticut kids, too. The Terps have two Connecticut players.

This game is a cliche of private prep school versus public blue collar.
groundballs44

Post by groundballs44 »

Shall we declare this game the "de facto national championship" as well? Or is that distinction exclusively reserved for when the Terps play an ACC opponent?

Lots of great analysis here, the Terps look unbeatable at this point, with no weakness anywhere on the field. The only thing that could get them at this point would be the mounting pressure of already being considered one of the greatest teams of all time. Tillman has done a good job keeping them humble and focused, but at this point that feels like the only thing that could derail them.

As I said last week - hoping for a great game, not sure we'll get one.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Has Peter Brown ever heard of Boys Latin ?
Yeah... that's a blue collar school. :roll:
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:14 am Has Peter Brown ever heard of Boys Latin ?
Don't forget Deerfield (2) Woodward Academy, Landon (2), Georgetown Prep, Loyola Blakefield (3), Salisbury School (2), Calvert Hall (2), WilmingtonFriends, Avon Old Farms. Does St Mary's count? But never want to ruin a good narrative. :)
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:55 am
palaxoff wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:49 am Lets not forget Maryland's D side it is pretty damn good. With the Goal tending, Stong D, very efficient Clearing and Strength at the face off "X" Princeton will need to find ways to possess the ball, add Maryland's Offense holdingthe ball and the shot clock. I'd say Princeton have to have a perfect game and hope Maryland doesn't play well. I say Maryland just under their season average 7-8 goal margin.

I’d agree but I think there’s one more facet to the game.

This game is in essence a home game for Princeton. 5 kids just from one school in Greenwich with other Connecticut kids, too. The Terps have two Connecticut players.

This game is a cliche of private prep school versus public blue collar.
Maryland's roster is 80% private prep school kids. Not sure if the public blue collar narrative fits.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Ivyman wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:26 am
BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:14 am Has Peter Brown ever heard of Boys Latin ?
Don't forget Deerfield (2) Woodward Academy, Landon (2), Georgetown Prep, Loyola Blakefield (3), Salisbury School (2), Calvert Hall (2), WilmingtonFriends, Avon Old Farms. Does St Mary's count? But never want to ruin a good narrative. :)

The narrative is less the nature of the high school and more the nature of the player. Boys Latin might be private, but Wisnauskas isn’t a prep school type athlete. Nor was Colin Heacock for that matter. These guys are tough as nails.

If you run down the Terps roster, generally the same thing can be said for most of their players. They just seem more ‘blue collar’ to me.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

https://twitter.com/logahilltopper/stat ... SaNsMjCP3A

Maryland really does an outstanding job of attacking in all facets of games. So it's just a really complete program and a really complete team,” Princeton coach Matt Madalon said.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

youthathletics wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:35 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:28 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:33 pm Some fun game planning, I believe Princeton has what it takes.

Princeton comes out locking man(on ball) and each adjacent, while the other 3 are in skip lanes in a triangle formation on crease (showing two men to the ball side at all times). If on-ball man gets beat, the slide is nearest man of the triangle. The beat defender then recovers to the front of the triangle (could set a trap), or simply bump the 2nd slide guy back down to the backside.

The goal is to force UMD to not move the ball so quickly and at their pace. If the D can stress the ball carrier (not play such soft cover defense) to the point where the ball carrier has to beat you or throw a lob skip pass, you can then begin to dictate their pace in settled O. Otherwise it has been clear that Zone and traditional defensive schematics are futile IF you still allow them to freely pass the ball at will.
Princeton will be the fourth team that Maryland plays for a second time this year, after Rutgers, Hopkins, and Virginia. The trend of having a tougher time beating a team the second time has not held for Maryland. The stats from that first game would have indicated a Maryland blowout - 34 to 18 shots on goal, 12 to 17 TO’s, 42 to 22 groundballs, 20 to 9 faceoffs. Peters’s heroics in goal kept it relatively close.

As to FOGO, Sandoval is at 53% for the year. I think the problem the three other Final Four teams face is that none of them are particularly strong at the faceoff dot. If the possession numbers tilt the field in Maryland’s favor, it is really tough to keep it competitive with them.
And the defense I suggest, has also not been tried. Most teams have stuck with their bread and better defenses, with only some match assignments. You can not, and UMD has proven this, run a conventional defense against an offense that has no identifiable structure. The least common denominator is to thwart their ball movement as best you can. UVA tried zone to keep them from flowing all-around, while eliminating matchup issues.....and the result was....more ball movement and just Zone offense 101.

As you noted, and what I hate about our game, the FO player can be a deciding factor in playing make it take (not a fan at all, makes the game boring IMO). Princeton either has to go unconventional defense or beat them between the lines; a combination of the two. Or hope the Terps goalie is having a 'really=really' bad day.
Just re-watched some of the ND/Terps game, ND held the Terps to 11, in a one goal game with under 5 in the 4th, ND's defense extended out on the terps, not denying, just closer pressure. Certainly it helps to have attackman like ND, but terps did not run away with it...much like they did with most everyone else....well except for Cuse and Princeton. And Princeton is a team that starts the season much later than Terps....only losing by 5. Should be a good one....certainly hope it is at least.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Not sure about Princeton, but a few things have changed for MD since February:

1) for good or for bad, they are now being discussed as an all-time great team. that wasn't the case pre-uva games
2) Zappitello was new to the close defense unit in Feb. It's pretty clear that he's formed a 2-headed beast with Makar back there (no slight to Rahill who has played great as well)
3) The injured ssdm's are back and look fantastic. Bubba has also gotten better every game
4) Murphy has become as dangerous a weapon as anyone on the team (probably on any team in the country for that matter). He's deadly from the Ovechkin Office, and he's got some of the quickest hands and deceptive releases around. Pretty tough to defend him and Groot on the wings at the same time
5) On the bad side, Koras was missing last game. He's an important piece to the offense. Haven't seen any reason; hopefully he's back. Though Maltz is a pretty good replacement

Should be a good game. Hopefully the Terps don't have a UVA hangover. It is tough to have 100% emotional energy twice in 6 days.
viho

Post by viho »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:45 am

The narrative is less the nature of the high school and more the nature of the player. Boys Latin might be private, but Wisnauskas isn’t a prep school type athlete. Nor was Colin Heacock for that matter. These guys are tough as nails.

If you run down the Terps roster, generally the same thing can be said for most of their players. They just seem more ‘blue collar’ to me.
Hey! Peter Griffin...when you're in a hole, stop digging.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

"This game is a cliche of private prep school versus public blue collar."

Good lord, I thought you were an awful troll on the politics threads.

I almost forgot about your trolling stupid lies and projection on the lax threads, too...and when called out, you squirm and deflect rather than own up to having been caught again... Just so dumb.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

viho wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:54 pm

Hey! Peter Griffin...when you're in a hole, stop digging.
Not in the nature of a troll...like a pig in mud, they like it...
Kinduv

Post by Kinduv »

h0fstra g0ing t0 win it a11
Any great warrior is also a scholar, and a poet, and an artist.
-STEVEN SEAGAL
CU77

Post by CU77 »

groundballs44 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:03 am Shall we declare this game the "de facto national championship" as well?
Since Cornell beat Princeton on their home field in the last game of the regular season, I don't think so ...

(But my head tells me that the Terps will win both their games easily ...)
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

CU77 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:43 pm
groundballs44 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:03 am Shall we declare this game the "de facto national championship" as well?
Since Cornell beat Princeton on their home field in the last game of the regular season, I don't think so ...

(But my head tells me that the Terps will win both their games easily ...)

Good news for you CU77, you can be happy if Maryland wins.

COLLEEN CARRION (MS, RD, CDN, CSSD) is the Director of Sports Nutrition for Maryland Athletics including lacrosse. She’s a 2008 graduate of Cornell University with her Bachelor of Science degree in Dietetics and Nutrition.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Huh?
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Bubba Fairnman's move to the defensive side after Josh Coffman got hurt and Alex Smith's return to the lineup from a knee injury have made the Terps' defense elite. In the first Princeton game, the Terps rans only 3 shorties the entire game. Chase Cope, who had already filled in for Coffman and Smith to start the season...and filled in last year when Higgins was hurt in the playoffs, got injured before the Syracuse game. Fairman, Puglise, and Higgins were at times double shifting. Brennan and Koras would take some dedicated defensive runs (which actually helped improve their offensive game and overall confidence), but it was mostly those 3 shorties taking all of the runs. Justin Sherrer was the 2nd LSM behind Geppert, but he was also injured early in the season. This bumped Owen Prybylski up to the 2nd LSM, and he's been a luxury to have. He received AA honors last year at Villanova, and he came to Maryland as a swing player...took some runs at close, took some runs at LSM.

So Maryland has changed a little bit since that first Princeton game. Smith came back and has played exceptionally well. Bubba now has a whole season at the shorty position. Higgins and Puglise are a great duo.

Other changes, as some have noticed, have to do with interplay between Murphy and Malever. Murphy now plays the point on all face-offs and subs off when the first MF line is in. When the second MF line is in, Malever runs through the box as a midfielder.

Koras apparently hurt a hamstring before the UVA game. It's unclear if he'll be able to play.

I don't know if Maltz would have played anyway as a countermove to UVA hopping into a zone, or if he's Koras's replacement. I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 other players jump into that 2nd MF line. Ryan Siracusa is a strong lefty who can really dodge from the wing. He's universally acclaimed by his teammates as the toughest guy to cover on the scout team and has been on the cusp of playing more regularly. Daniel Kelly is Wisnauskas's heir apparent at the lefty attack spot next year. 5-star attackman out of Calvert Hall. Having him on that second MF line as another dynamic lefty that can sling it the same way DeMaio does would really complement Wisnauskas on that side of the field.

I wouldn't be surprised to see either of those guys play more on Saturday. Kelly is a 30-goal scorer next year. He's very good.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

I’ve been refraining from talking about next year, but since you brought it up Wheels… question for you. Do you know if Cope and Sherrer kept their year of eligibility, since they got injured early? With Lacey coming in, and Coffman and Cope available as well, maybe we’ll have a good rope unit after all of the graduations.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Wheels wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:49 pm Bubba Fairnman's move to the defensive side after Josh Coffman got hurt and Alex Smith's return to the lineup from a knee injury have made the Terps' defense elite. In the first Princeton game, the Terps rans only 3 shorties the entire game. Chase Cope, who had already filled in for Coffman and Smith to start the season...and filled in last year when Higgins was hurt in the playoffs, got injured before the Syracuse game. Fairman, Puglise, and Higgins were at times double shifting. Brennan and Koras would take some dedicated defensive runs (which actually helped improve their offensive game and overall confidence), but it was mostly those 3 shorties taking all of the runs. Justin Sherrer was the 2nd LSM behind Geppert, but he was also injured early in the season. This bumped Owen Prybylski up to the 2nd LSM, and he's been a luxury to have. He received AA honors last year at Villanova, and he came to Maryland as a swing player...took some runs at close, took some runs at LSM.

So Maryland has changed a little bit since that first Princeton game. Smith came back and has played exceptionally well. Bubba now has a whole season at the shorty position. Higgins and Puglise are a great duo.

Other changes, as some have noticed, have to do with interplay between Murphy and Malever. Murphy now plays the point on all face-offs and subs off when the first MF line is in. When the second MF line is in, Malever runs through the box as a midfielder.

Koras apparently hurt a hamstring before the UVA game. It's unclear if he'll be able to play.

I don't know if Maltz would have played anyway as a countermove to UVA hopping into a zone, or if he's Koras's replacement. I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 other players jump into that 2nd MF line. Ryan Siracusa is a strong lefty who can really dodge from the wing. He's universally acclaimed by his teammates as the toughest guy to cover on the scout team and has been on the cusp of playing more regularly. Daniel Kelly is Wisnauskas's heir apparent at the lefty attack spot next year. 5-star attackman out of Calvert Hall. Having him on that second MF line as another dynamic lefty that can sling it the same way DeMaio does would really complement Wisnauskas on that side of the field.

I wouldn't be surprised to see either of those guys play more on Saturday. Kelly is a 30-goal scorer next year. He's very good.

Wheels. Why doesn’t Burlace the elder one see the field much? I thought he was like a #1 defender coming out of high school? I get it that the team has a freakishly good starting defense, but I’d have thought this kid might see the field occasionally?
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:38 pm I’ve been refraining from talking about next year, but since you brought it up Wheels… question for you. Do you know if Cope and Sherrer kept their year of eligibility, since they got injured early? With Lacey coming in, and Coffman and Cope available as well, maybe we’ll have a good rope unit after all of the graduations.
I'd expect Tills to bring in another shorty. They're bringing in one of the top HS LSMs, as well as another great close defender. Even with Shirtzer leaving the program, there's still a lot of good young long poles on the roster. Colin Burlace, Jack MacDonald, and Nick Redd appear to be the first group to go in when the score gets out of hand.

As for Cope and Sherrer, I can't recall the magic number on what percent triggers the "redshirt/not redshirt" calculation. I know Cope was hurt before the Syracuse game. I think Sherrer played one more game.

I also think BJ Burlace is the player on the sideline with his shoulder in a sling. It's either him or Sherrer.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”