Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
nyjay

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by nyjay »

Laxrules10 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:08 pm John Crawley new OC at Hopkins...to be announced as OC shortly.
Very interesting if true. And I think a good hire for a number of reasons, even if his Lehigh offenses haven't been spectacular. Let all of the speculation as to the deeper meaning of this hire begin.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

14 goals per game in 2021
12 goals per game in 2022

Sure beats our like 9 or whatever (Edit: apparently it was more like 11) eventhough its not really an apples to apples stat. If this is true though I don't know how much to read into this beyond he is an up and coming young coach that has ties to the program so was certainly more inclined to entertain the offer and be up for the challenge.

This is not a sign that PM had his hand forced into anything or that only JHU guys work as coaches at JHU.
Last edited by Ruffled_Feathers on Mon May 23, 2022 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:11 am
nyjay wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:07 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:25 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:19 pm
flalax22 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:10 pm Boyle- “Virginia never really found a way to integrate Zinn into their system”

Sounds familiar
It looks like Zinn got a goal against Maryland. He outscored Shelly.
Oh and Murphy looked like he was playing pinball out there.
Wait. Didn't they both play for Hopkins?
Wow, Peter Milliman is a genius!!!!!!
He's a keeper!!
Let's extend his contract!!!!!!

And by the way, all the lacrosse geniuses on here who thought All-Galaxy Shellenberger was unstoppable were WRONG.
He was outscored by his defenseman as well as being outscored by Evan Zinn. Wait, didn't he used to play for Hopkins?
He scored with 40 seconds left in the game with Virginia down by 10 goals against Maryland's backups. Really showed us!

That's how he has scored several of his goals this year if you've watched any of Virginia. 7 goals and 7 GBs on like 17% shooting over 16 games does not make the argument you think it does. How dare PM let that player go. Just like you'd have to be an abject moron to think Cornell making the Final Four with all of his players reflects *poorly* on him.
Murphy though . . .
Not being able to keep Murphy was, in retrospect, a major blunder.
Running him off for minor infractions compared to others. Absolutely a blunder and inconsistent in building a new culture
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

IL reports it's done: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ator/59724

Interesting in a number of ways. Hopefully this smooths over some of the hostilities with the recent Petro camp. If this program/staff is good enough for John Crawley it should be good enough for his teammates and others who have felt alienated following the staff change. While I'm sure he's getting a nontrivial bump in $$$ from Lehigh, that he's coming on board at all says a lot about his character (joining forces with the guy who replaced his coach/mentor) as well as Milliman's (an admission that maybe he needed a different voice in the room and one who has closer ties to the program). Alum or not, Crawley is considered one of the better young offensive coordinators out there. Also credit to PM for moving quickly on this.

As for Crawley as a coach — he has an excellent reputation from basically everyone I have spoken to. Very well liked, energetic, knows the X's and O's better than anybody. His offenses at Lehigh have ranged from meh to good, though they've dealt with a ton of injuries to key players so I think the jury is still very much out on what a "Crawley offense" looks like. Recruiting wise, Crawley gives us a Long Island guy and through the PLL a huge social media presence.

I have no inside info here but Lehigh's best player, Tommy Schelling, is in the portal and is a mechanical engineering major. Hop's graduate engineering school is top notch.
Homer

Post by Homer »

Terps22 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:55 am I don't see Hopkins being a top 10 program for quite some time, and certainly not under the PM regime.

To answer your question though, I'd start with being a bit more aggressive in the transfer portal and doing a better job of keeping your own players home and engaged. I recognize kids take on the view that the grass is greener on the other side and some players may just want a fresh new start but there is clearly some internal strife.

While Epstein may not have had the season everyone was hoping for, it sends alarms to recruits and players, a 3-year captain, simply just wants to walk away and retire from the sport.
I'm not sure that the transfer portal can or should be a central part of Hopkins' rebuilding strategy at this stage. Needless to say, if the right player's interested -- of course you pick up the phone. But I think it's unlikely that Hopkins, the school, is ever organically going to be a big transfer destination for a lot of players. To get guys to want to come, you have to have the program's identity and winning culture established first, so there's something to sell them on coming to be a part of. Focusing too much on the portal now IMO complicates that process and may be ultimately counterproductive.

As for keeping your current players bought in, look, I have no idea how much internal strife there may or may not be. Objectively, we're now in the third offseason where anybody who's unhappy with the Milliman hire has an opportunity to leave, and so far it's been two offseasons and counting where the anticipated mass exodus has failed to materialize.

Maybe a bunch of guys are about to bail and this post will look silly by next week, who knows. But so far, it's been a pretty modest rate of attrition. We're really just talking about a couple players finishing their degrees and taking the rest of their eligibility elsewhere, one guy who blew out his knee and was never the same player afterwards apparently retiring from the sport, and one situation involving a key underclassman starter who seems to have been pushed out of the program on what may or may not have been reasonable grounds. Given how much upheaval there's been in the program over the past few years, plus the lack of much on-field success, that rate of player departures doesn't honestly strike me as any kind of a big deal.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:05 pm IL reports it's done: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ator/59724

Interesting in a number of ways. Hopefully this smooths over some of the hostilities with the recent Petro camp. If this program/staff is good enough for John Crawley it should be good enough for his teammates and others who have felt alienated following the staff change. While I'm sure he's getting a nontrivial bump in $$$ from Lehigh, that he's coming on board at all says a lot about his character (joining forces with the guy who replaced his coach/mentor) as well as Milliman's (an admission that maybe he needed a different voice in the room and one who has closer ties to the program). Alum or not, Crawley is considered one of the better young offensive coordinators out there. Also credit to PM for moving quickly on this.

As for Crawley as a coach — he has an excellent reputation from basically everyone I have spoken to. Very well liked, energetic, knows the X's and O's better than anybody. His offenses at Lehigh have ranged from meh to good, though they've dealt with a ton of injuries to key players so I think the jury is still very much out on what a "Crawley offense" looks like. Recruiting wise, Crawley gives us a Long Island guy and through the PLL a huge social media presence.

I have no inside info here but Lehigh's best player, Tommy Schelling, is in the portal and is a mechanical engineering major. Hop's graduate engineering school is top notch.
I’ve never heard a bad word about Crawley. In fact I’ve heard some describe him and Pellegrino as the best captains Hopkins has had.

The only knock on Crawley is this. He only managed to be a 2x Captain at Hopkins. Before any of you nuts come with pitchforks that is a joke
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

Johns Hopkins 2022 Adjusted Offensive Efficiency - 29.3% (40th)
Lehigh 2022 Adjusted Offensive Efficiency - 28.4% (45th)
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Powellfan22 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:21 pm Johns Hopkins 2022 Adjusted Offensive Efficiency - 29.3% (40th)
What were those numbers in 2020 and 2021? Genuinely curious. Lehigh lost two of its three top middies to injury before the season.
flalax22 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:18 pm I’ve never heard a bad word about Crawley. In fact I’ve heard some describe him and Pellegrino as the best captains Hopkins has had.
You could tell he was built a little different when he scored 4 goals as a freshman in the Final Four against Maryland. Should be able to relate to these kids as well as anybody.
Homer

Post by Homer »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:05 pm IL reports it's done: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ator/59724

I like the hire. At least on the surface it creates a dynamic like what PM had with Buczek at Cornell as an OC at a similar stage in his career.

I don't know if it will be enough to bring the family back together -- it's not as if Koesterer's ex-teammates have necessarily formed a united front in support of the program thus far -- but I'm sure it can't hurt.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Homer wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:29 pm I like the hire. At least on the surface it creates a dynamic like what PM had with Buczek at Cornell as an OC at a similar stage in his career.

I don't know if it will be enough to bring the family back together -- it's not as if Koesterer's ex-teammates have necessarily formed a united front in support of the program thus far -- but I'm sure it can't hurt.
Definitely not a united front but some guys from that era (Bocklet, Schwartzman, Rabil at times, Harrison, etc.) have been publicly supportive of the program under the new staff in a way that virtually no one from the 2010s has been. Don't know if it will make everyone one big happy family again but at the very least, Crawley's friends and supporters are going to root for *him*, which should help. It may not be a direct investment in the program, but it's something that wasn't there before today.

Already seems to be having an effect: https://twitter.com/5tinman21/status/15 ... 9448482817
Hail to the Victors

Post by Hail to the Victors »

Laxrules10 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:08 pm John Crawley new OC at Hopkins...to be announced as OC shortly.
Maybe we'll see the Easter Bunny again!
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:25 pm
Powellfan22 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:21 pm Johns Hopkins 2022 Adjusted Offensive Efficiency - 29.3% (40th)
What were those numbers in 2020 and 2021? Genuinely curious. Lehigh lost two of its three top middies to injury before the season.
flalax22 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:18 pm I’ve never heard a bad word about Crawley. In fact I’ve heard some describe him and Pellegrino as the best captains Hopkins has had.
You could tell he was built a little different when he scored 4 goals as a freshman in the Final Four against Maryland. Should be able to relate to these kids as well as anybody.
I am not sure - I beleive you need a subscription to Lacrosse Reference for prior years and I don't have one.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

This is a good move for Hopkins, wondering did the University or Milliman even acknowledge the departure of John Grant Jr, or was his tweet all we will evey get?
HappyHourLax

Post by HappyHourLax »

Smart hire. Crawley lives and breathes Hopkins lacrosse by all accounts, will be popular in the locker room and had a very respectable start to his coaching career at Lehigh. Would not expect a significant leap offensively in 2023, but hopefully we see some improvement. Its a marathon, not a sprint right now at Homewood and this is a good step in the right direction.

Best of luck, John. Welcome back.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HappyHourLax wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:56 pm
Smart hire. Crawley lives and breathes Hopkins lacrosse by all accounts, will be popular in the locker room and had a very respectable start to his coaching career at Lehigh. Would not expect a significant leap offensively in 2023, but hopefully we see some improvement. Its a marathon, not a sprint right now at Homewood and this is a good step in the right direction.

Best of luck, John. Welcome back.
I believe he got his start at Notre Dame, moved to Colgate and then to Lehigh
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Powellfan22 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:01 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:25 pm
I am not sure - I beleive you need a subscription to Lacrosse Reference for prior years and I don't have one.
JHU 21/20 Adjusted oEff: 32.2% (18th)/30.5%(38th)
Lehigh 21/20 Adjusted oEff: 31.9% (20th)/31.5% (34th)
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Lehigh's was in the 50s in two of the three years prior to Crawley getting there. If he can take them from 50 to 30 maybe he can take us from 30 to 10. That's how it works, right? #Science

BTW, the reception to this move among alums is unlike anything that's happened during the new regime. Pretty much everyone you can think of from the last 15 years of Hopkins lacrosse has tweeted or instagrammed in support. Success will ultimately be determined on the field and not on social media but that at least checks off one box.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:36 pm
This is not a sign that PM had his hand forced into anything or that only JHU guys work as coaches at JHU.
Aw c'mon. LOL
Definitely a good smart hire for the program, but I HIGHLY doubt Milliman had anything to with it.
This hire puts him squarely on the hot seat. He's the next fall guy; writing is on the wall.
Again, PM's best move at this point is to find an exit ramp while he still can.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

So wait who's decision was this then? "Good smart hire for the program"

Was it the Hopkins Hundred Club Mafia? If they were pulling the strings from behind the scenes all along why did Petro not get an extension and why did we hire Milliman in the first place if Petro had to go even? Could've had JK as Head Coach and Crawley as OC at least 3 years earlier by your timeline...

It couldn't possibly have been Baker or Daniels involvement, they're trying to run the program into irrelevance right? Couldn't possibly have been involved in any part of a "good smart hire". Did someone leave Ernie unattended in their office with their Outlook open? That must be it. Ernie went rogue and Jen is just saving face by going through with it. :roll:
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:12 pm So wait who's decision was this then? "Good smart hire for the program"

Was it the Hopkins Hundred Club Mafia? If they were pulling the strings from behind the scenes all along why did Petro not get an extension and why did we hire Milliman in the first place if Petro had to go even? Could've had JK as Head Coach and Crawley as OC at least 3 years earlier by your timeline...

It couldn't possibly have been Baker or Daniels involvement, they're trying to run the program into irrelevance right? Couldn't possibly have been involved in any part of a "good smart hire". Did someone leave Ernie unattended in their office with their Outlook open? That must be it. Ernie went rogue and Jen is just saving face by going through with it. :roll:
lol

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”