D1 Mens Lacrosse
Jldlax

Re: Georgetown 2022

Post by Jldlax »

10 10 2 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:52 pm
random observer wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:46 pm
Creasedive wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:40 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:27 pm
Creasedive wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:40 pm 4 grad transfers and two embarrassing losses in the NCAA tournament should make any parent/player second guess committing to Georgetown. The kid is going to Princeton.
Silly 👎
Is it? 5 star recruit flipped. It’s not coincidental.
Who was the decommit?
I believe Nate Kabiri in the 2023 class decommitted recently. Doubt grad transfers to Georgetown for the 2023 season played into that decision.
There would likely be two open attack slots open for 2023-24 season so a top 2023 A recruit would have an excellent chance of starting. And there is only one more year of COVID transfers after this. So there must be another reason for this decommit. And Lacrosse Bucket has the date as May 14, so the first round loss is not a reason either.
Hoya

Post by Hoya »

Jldlax wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:01 pm
Creasedive wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:40 pm 4 grad transfers and two embarrassing losses in the NCAA tournament should make any parent/player second guess committing to Georgetown. The kid is going to Princeton.
Silly 👎
Who was the decommit?
I believe Nate Kabiri in the 2023 class decommitted recently. Doubt grad transfers to Georgetown for the 2023 season played into that decision.
There would likely be two open attack slots open for 2023-24 season so a top 2023 A recruit would have an excellent chance of starting. And there is only one more year of COVID transfers after this. So there must be another reason for this decommit. And Lacrosse Bucket has the date as May 14, so the first round loss is not a reason either.
It happens. We’ve been beneficiaries of this before and we lost on this time.
random observer

Post by random observer »

Silly 👎
Who was the decommit?
That's a shame. He's got a very aesthetically pleasing game and he's a player I've really enjoyed watching. Having said that, I don't think he's so good that the program will be haunted by it for years to come. Wishing the best of luck to him wherever he lands.
Hoyafan123

Post by Hoyafan123 »

sad to here Kabiri decided to go another way but it is what it is, just part of the new recruiting landscape and probably a bunch of other factors going on in that decision that none of us are privy too.

In terms of the transfer portal having an impact on future recruiting, its obviously a factor that every recruit has to weigh in their decision but it isn't an issue that just plagues Georgetown as Big Ten/ACC schools been far bigger players in that market from an overall # of transfers standpoint. Moreover, While I think the transfer portal is a trend that is here to stay, volumes should normalize as that extra year of Covid eligibility runs out. Thus, I would look at the amount of transfers Georgetown is receiving this year (4 so far) as hopefully a "peak" rather than an ongoing long term trend. I would imagine Gtown might end up being a school where they get ~0-2 transfers a year in the future which would historically be above average, but hopefully wouldn't be a deal breaker from a recruiting standpoint and would be on par/slightly below other blue bloods in the sport.

However, while I don't think accepting transfers has hurt Georgetown's recruiting profile, I think this recent transfer portal trend has helped some of Georgetown's competitors on the recruiting trail - the Ivy League. I am not even sure how the transfer rules even work for Ivys, but for a recruiting standpoint that certainty is something a head coach at an Ivy could pitch to a potential recruit if a recruit was ever worried. The knife does cut both ways though for Ivys though as they can't get 5th years from my understanding and if you are an ACC player with a 5th year of eligibility and want to go to a very strong academic institution with great lacrosse, with the Ivys out of the 5th year picture there are very few options on the market besides Georgetown.

Ultimately as a former player on this team am I excited about the transfers we are bringing in this year? Of course. Do I hope that in the future Georgetown has to play less in the transfer market because of how well they have recruited and developed talent internally? Of course. I don't think those two options need to be mutually exclusive and I do think after this year the number of transfers should normalize and shouldn't really be an issue for Georgetown from a recruiting standpoint. However, what i do think is important is that especially this next year with so many transfers the coaching staff continues to maintain and emphasize its existing culture, which is Georgetown's BIGGEST pitch from a recruiting standpoint IMO, and the coaching staff realizes the important of building more depth in the offensive/defensive midfield which I think is likely
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

BREAKING: Former UNC attackman Nicky Solomon (@Solomon_17) is transferring to @HoyasMLacrosse for his final year of eligibility. Per source
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Is it just me or is it a little strange how many players are jumping to G'town?
Caddy Day
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

It’s a great spot to get a masters degree, lots of connections to internships in DC, and they’re a really good team
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

jrn19 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:34 pm It’s a great spot to get a masters degree, lots of connections to internships in DC, and they’re a really good team
Are that many talented players interested in going into politics, into not-for-profit work, associations, etc.? I dunno...
Caddy Day
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

If not that, they'll go for their business school, which is really good and more easier to get in than UNC for example, which is why Bowen transferred
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

jrn19 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:41 pm If not that, they'll go for their business school, which is really good and more easier to get in than UNC for example, which is why Bowen transferred
I hear that...
Caddy Day
random observer

Post by random observer »

It's pretty much one of the default options for any ACC kid who is graduating and looking to use their fifth year elsewhere. Transferring to an ACC rival seems like a rarity, and the Ivies and Patriots don't take graduate transfers. If you care about academics, the only other place that can match it is Hopkins, whose path to success and the postseason is far more arduous. If you care about winning, beyond Maryland it's on the same tier as the other B1G contenders.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

random observer wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:11 pm It's pretty much one of the default options for any ACC kid who is graduating and looking to use their fifth year elsewhere. Transferring to an ACC rival seems like a rarity, and the Ivies and Patriots don't take graduate transfers. If you care about academics, the only other place that can match it is Hopkins, whose path to success and the postseason is far more arduous. If you care about winning, beyond Maryland it's on the same tier as the other B1G contenders.
That is very well said. And almost every grad student coming to Gtown next year has been highlighted but the total guys I believe is less than Rutgers took this year.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

random observer wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:11 pm It's pretty much one of the default options for any ACC kid who is graduating and looking to use their fifth year elsewhere. Transferring to an ACC rival seems like a rarity, and the Ivies and Patriots don't take graduate transfers. If you care about academics, the only other place that can match it is Hopkins, whose path to success and the postseason is far more arduous. If you care about winning, beyond Maryland it's on the same tier as the other B1G contenders.
Looks like the staff is loading up on offensive depth, which was an Achilles heel the past few years. Also, this may free up Hess to focus more on defense and a transition/stay on the field D middle.

Post by 1766 »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:23 pm
That is very well said. And almost every grad student coming to Gtown next year has been highlighted but the total guys I believe is less than Rutgers took this year.
I believe Maryland took in more than Rutgers last year but not positive. Knights had Boswell, Apgar, Jacoby, Bartolo, Burgdorf, Cameron and Stephan, so 7. I think there are 3 transfers coming in so far that haven't been announced yet. Maybe 4.

Georgetown seems well on their way. Good for them if they are the right guys in the locker room. The portal is recruiting. Anyone who throws shade probably isn't using it because they don't have a school kids want to go to or a school/conference that doesn't allow it, or is a liberal arts school with no grad programs.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:44 pm Is it just me or is it a little strange how many players are jumping to G'town?
They’re doing their own banana boat deal?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
fordmaddoxford

Post by fordmaddoxford »

jrn19 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:41 pm If not that, they'll go for their business school, which is really good and more easier to get in than UNC for example, which is why Bowen transferred
Graduate Schools of Business:
Flagler UNC: Admit Rate 57%. Mean GMAT 670
McDonough GU: Admit Rate 47.5% Mean GMAT 704.8
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:28 pm Image
OK, I am sure there is something I am missing here, maybe didn't get into grad program? but this one seems very bizarre. Georgetown to Jacksonville? Any scoop Hoya faithful?
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Just a quick comment on "the transfer portal" thing.

Transfers in lacrosse (like almost every other non-rev sport) have been happening forever. The Ivy/PL issue of no 5th year students has created a temporary glut of players from those schools looking to take their COVID bonus year.

Otherwise, there is nothing new about players transferring. For almost all of the non-revs, transfers never even had to sit out a year like they used to for football and basketball.

Only 2 things are now different. One, the formal "portal" allows insight into this previously hidden market. Two, NIL can theoretically be used to entice kids in the portal to go to a different school. But those kids would already have to be in the portal...because...theoretically...coaches can't recruit portal kids until they're in the portal.

But we're talking non-rev sports here. NIL $ won't be the same as it will be for football and basketball. Joey Spallina is probably the exception not the rule...unless Gait Lacrosse changes its entire business strategy to just support Syracuse lacrosse. Stranger things have happened, of course.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Different thread, but I don't think we've scratched the surface of how NIL can be used by boosters to pull players, even in smaller sports like ours.

Could get to be quite a mess.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”