Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Sagittarius A*

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by Sagittarius A* »

flalax22 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:10 pm Boyle- “Virginia never really found a way to integrate Zinn into their system”

Sounds familiar
It looks like Zinn got a goal against Maryland. He outscored Shelly.
Oh and Murphy looked like he was playing pinball out there.
Wait. Didn't they both play for Hopkins?
Wow, Peter Milliman is a genius!!!!!!
He's a keeper!!
Let's extend his contract!!!!!!

And by the way, all the lacrosse geniuses on here who thought All-Galaxy Shellenberger was unstoppable were WRONG.
He was outscored by his defenseman as well as being outscored by Evan Zinn. Wait, didn't he used to play for Hopkins?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:19 pm
flalax22 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:10 pm Boyle- “Virginia never really found a way to integrate Zinn into their system”

Sounds familiar
He's a keeper!!

And by the way, all the lacrosse geniuses on here who thought All-Galaxy Shellenberger was unstoppable were WRONG.
He was outscored by his defenseman as well as being outscored by Evan Zinn. Wait, didn't he used to play for Hopkins?
He scored with 40 seconds left in the game with Virginia down by 10 goals against Maryland's backups. Really showed us!

That's how he has scored several of his goals this year if you've watched any of Virginia. 7 goals and 7 GBs on like 17% shooting over 16 games does not make the argument you think it does. How dare PM let that player go. Just like you'd have to be an abject moron to think Cornell making the Final Four with all of his players reflects *poorly* on him.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

If Narewski is back next year that gives us faceoff depth which is not a bad thing to have. Prouty got lost in the mix but he worked very very hard over his career and was unsung contributor like we want moreland and other fogos of recent vintage.

Obviously the takeaways from this weekend are that maryland is at its apex, Rutgers run the last few years has not been a fluke and they now have a May narrative to pitch recruits, the ivy beyond the top 1-2 programs now have fresh success to sell recruits and Delaware might be at the beginning of a sustained run. You factor in the Denvers Dukes Cuses UNDs UNCs et al that missed the tournament and you have more coaches than ever w/a story and results to back it up when pitching recruits.

Don't think PM is worrying about hiring a hopkins guy as an oc or should worry. Petro Dwan Benson larry quinn were hopkins guys. The question is will the new guy be hired because he can work w/whats already in the lockerroom from benson and grant jr, or will be brought in to turn the offense over. Just so many questions there.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:25 pm

Sounds familiar
He's a keeper!!

He scored with 40 seconds left in the game with Virginia down by 10 goals against Maryland's backups. Really showed us!

That's how he has scored several of his goals this year if you've watched any of Virginia. 7 goals and 7 GBs on like 17% shooting over 16 games does not make the argument you think it does. How dare PM let that player go. Just like you'd have to be an abject moron to think Cornell making the Final Four with all of his players reflects *poorly* on him.
Murphy though . . .
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

nyjay wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:07 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:25 pm

Sounds familiar
He's a keeper!!

Murphy though . . .
Not being able to keep Murphy was, in retrospect, a major blunder.

Benson stuck him on the Terps’ second midfield and some “specialty situations” and the young man scored 32 goals and 5 assists (and counting). If lacrosse had a Sixth Man Award, Murphy would own it.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Homer

Post by Homer »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:11 am
Not being able to keep Murphy was, in retrospect, a major blunder.
I don't have any special knowledge of what went down with Owen Murphy and I want to be clear that I'm not making any kind of between-the-lines comment about that.

My general view, though, is that whenever you have regime change within a program, it's almost inevitable that some players are going to end up moving on in one way or another. Sometimes they're utterly loyal to the previous staff and can't imagine playing at School X for anybody else. Sometimes they had inchoate thoughts of leaving all along and the coaching change gives them an excuse to bail. Sometimes they're weird hothouse flowers the previous staff understood but the new people don't know what to do with. Sometimes they get made an example of for arbitrary sh*++y new-sheriff-in-town reasons. Sometimes they fight authority and authority always wins.

If you're squeamish about something like that happening with one of your most talented players, by all means don't blow up the coaching staff. If, on the other hand, your basic theory is that the staff is flying the program into a ditch, then you need to clean house and bite the bullet when that almost inevitably means you lose some very talented players.
HappyHourLax

Post by HappyHourLax »

I’m curious as to what people in this forum think the obvious steps are to making Hopkins a competitive program again? New coaching staff? More aggressive in the transfer portal? Program overhaul? What are the necessary actions that this program needs to take in order to put them back in the top 10?
Terps22

Post by Terps22 »

I don't see Hopkins being a top 10 program for quite some time, and certainly not under the PM regime.

To answer your question though, I'd start with being a bit more aggressive in the transfer portal and doing a better job of keeping your own players home and engaged. I recognize kids take on the view that the grass is greener on the other side and some players may just want a fresh new start but there is clearly some internal strife.

While Epstein may not have had the season everyone was hoping for, it sends alarms to recruits and players, a 3-year captain, simply just wants to walk away and retire from the sport.
notentitled

Post by notentitled »

Perhaps Epstein was burned out, and the expectations as a savior proved too much and ruined his experience. All the best to him.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HappyHourLax wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:39 am I’m curious as to what people in this forum think the obvious steps are to making Hopkins a competitive program again? New coaching staff? More aggressive in the transfer portal? Program overhaul? What are the necessary actions that this program needs to take in order to put them back in the top 10?
New Head Coach immediately. Keep JK. Restart, reboot.
Would be nice to trade RD too, but you can't have everything...
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Terps22 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:55 am I don't see Hopkins being a top 10 program for quite some time, and certainly not under the PM regime.

To answer your question though, I'd start with being a bit more aggressive in the transfer portal and doing a better job of keeping your own players home and engaged. I recognize kids take on the view that the grass is greener on the other side and some players may just want a fresh new start but there is clearly some internal strife.

While Epstein may not have had the season everyone was hoping for, it sends alarms to recruits and players, a 3-year captain, simply just wants to walk away and retire from the sport.
Totally agree. PM has run the ship aground.
When your ship runs aground in the the Navy, it gets a new Captain.
Apparently, Mr. Murphy was run off by Captain Blye.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

notentitled wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:01 am Perhaps Epstein was burned out, and the expectations as a savior proved too much and ruined his experience. All the best to him.
or maybe PM ruined it for him.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HappyHourLax wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:39 am I’m curious as to what people in this forum think the obvious steps are to making Hopkins a competitive program again? New coaching staff? More aggressive in the transfer portal? Program overhaul? What are the necessary actions that this program needs to take in order to put them back in the top 10?
Just look at the last decade or so under Petro. The talent just hasn't been there. Poor ER decisions compounded by poor game tactics allowed the program to fester for a decade. A year or two doesn't change that - with one being a COVID year for recruiting. This isn't UVA where there was a ton of talent hanging out being poorly utilized by Starisa, this is a team devoid of major talent. It doesn't turn around overnight. It is concerning that there wasn't a ton of improvement in year 2 on the offense - granted maybe that is why JG is gone (also a huge concern) but it takes time. Add in all the COVID 23 and 24 year olds running around still playing college lacrosse and it has its issues.

Unless the wheels fall off completely next year, PM will have at least 4 years to show what he can do. If they miss the NCAA 4 years running, I'd imagine he won't get a 5th.
smoova

Post by smoova »

Quickest path to top 10? Centennial Conference ...
notentitled

Post by notentitled »

To the poster that wishes to blame others for Joey Epstein's departure, a young man or woman goes through many changes in college. It is doubtful you know his mental state or how he was reacting to coaching influence. Lacrosse is a sport. His welfare outside lacrosse is a lot more important.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

notentitled wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:31 am To the poster that wishes to blame others for Joey Epstein's departure, a young man or woman goes through many changes in college. It is doubtful you know his mental state or how he was reacting to coaching influence. Lacrosse is a sport. His welfare outside lacrosse is a lot more important.
the video the team posted before the last game of the season against maryland, Epstein was front and center, arm on a teammates shoulder, locked in eyes squarely on PM, not exactly the body language of a young fella dismayed w/things.
https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse/sta ... 5947143168

At a minimum we now have open spots at
Goalie 1/2-I'm counting the Amherst kid as goalie 2 because he came in before Marcille early in the season.
LSM Depth (Jennings got regular minutes)
D 3-Lyne started the last few games
midfielder 1-Deso has exhausted all of his eligibility
ssdm depth-shure was a regular especially on man down

Potentially
epstein
midfielder 2-keogh still has eligibility
defense 2-mcmanus started 16 games
ssdm-lilly saw a lot of the field.
notentitled

Post by notentitled »

You are basing your claims on a twitter feed. As a reader of this blog, all I can say is WOW. And as before, I wish Joey Epstein the best of luck because lacrosse is just a sport.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

notentitled wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:52 am You are basing your claims on a twitter feed. As a reader of this blog, all I can say is WOW. And as before, I wish Joey Epstein the best of luck because lacrosse is just a sport.
that's video from the program. As HF16 pointed out a long time ago correctly, I'm not an ex player, parent, and have no access to the hopkins lacrosse skull and bones text chains (a new term I should keep and save) you all are on that has all the news in the sport/program.

I will say while I admire cornell bringing its band to columbus yesterday I'm still partial to our own group.
Laxrules10

Post by Laxrules10 »

John Crawley new OC at Hopkins...to be announced as OC shortly.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

jhu06 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:21 am
notentitled wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:31 am To the poster that wishes to blame others for Joey Epstein's departure, a young man or woman goes through many changes in college. It is doubtful you know his mental state or how he was reacting to coaching influence. Lacrosse is a sport. His welfare outside lacrosse is a lot more important.
the video the team posted before the last game of the season against maryland, Epstein was front and center, arm on a teammates shoulder, locked in eyes squarely on PM, not exactly the body language of a young fella dismayed w/things.
https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse/sta ... 5947143168

At a minimum we now have open spots at
Goalie 1/2-I'm counting the Amherst kid as goalie 2 because he came in before Marcille early in the season.
LSM Depth (Jennings got regular minutes)
D 3-Lyne started the last few games
midfielder 1-Deso has exhausted all of his eligibility
ssdm depth-shure was a regular especially on man down

Potentially
epstein
midfielder 2-keogh still has eligibility
defense 2-mcmanus started 16 games
ssdm-lilly saw a lot of the field.
Not a Hop Fan obviously but pretty sure Keogh is out of eligibility.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”