Ivy = strong youth contingent
ACC = hero ball, no chemistry and over rated teams
Wow. Start ducking when the arrows fly.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
lowandaway

Re: B1G/Ivy > ACC

Post by lowandaway »

I understand the original post. Its more than a bit myopic, but understandable if you just started following lacrosse 3 months ago.
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

joewillie78 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 4:32 pm
Crease Crank wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 4:21 pm Pretty simple analysis,
B1G = team lacrosse and tough tough defense
Wow. Start ducking when the arrows fly.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Arrows are so 1880. Start ducking when the Mean Tweets crackle across the interwebby!
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

lowandaway wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 4:43 pm I understand the original post. Its more than a bit myopic, but understandable if you just started following lacrosse 3 months ago.
Think the math adds up. Creasecrank joined the forum 3 months ago (as did I)
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

you misspelled "maryland and sometimes one other team".
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

This seems counterproductive.

Post by 1766 »

Aggressive post but it's not wrong. The B1G/Ivy clearly separated themselves from the rest of the pack. Ivy league teams seem to play a varied brand of ball. Run and gun Princeton and Brown play much differently than more defensive oriented slower place Penn for example.

Maryland and Rutgers are starting to meld styles. Rutgers slowed it down a little bit and is comfortable in half court sets. Maryland has sped it up. And is clearly comfortable in settled situation. Though the other teams play a bit differently, it it's not drastic like you see in the Ivy. Defense is at a premium.

The Acc seems all about individual play. The lack of ball movement you see from a number of those teams is noticeable. Not right or wrong but relying on individual brilliance seems like an antiquated way to try and win games.

Watching the Maryland/Uva game, it was stark. Moore and Shellenberger, incredible players, can't win games on their own talents. I believe they were kept to 1 goal between them. Maryland has incredible player but what makes them even more incredible is how they share the ball. You don't see that type of play nearly as much on Acc teams as you do on others.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

1766 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:09 pm Aggressive post but it's not wrong. The B1G/Ivy clearly separated themselves from the rest of the pack. Ivy league teams seem to play a varied brand of ball. Run and gun Princeton and Brown play much differently than more defensive oriented slower place Penn for example.

Maryland and Rutgers are starting to meld styles. Rutgers slowed it down a little bit and is comfortable in half court sets. Maryland has sped it up. And is clearly comfortable in settled situation. Though the other teams play a bit differently, it it's not drastic like you see in the Ivy. Defense is at a premium.

The Acc seems all about individual play. The lack of ball movement you see from a number of those teams is noticeable. Not right or wrong but relying on individual brilliance seems like an antiquated way to try and win games.

Watching the Maryland/Uva game, it was stark. Moore and Shellenberger, incredible players, can't win games on their own talents. I believe they were kept to 1 goal between them. Maryland has incredible player but what makes them even more incredible is how they share the ball. You don't see that type of play nearly as much on Acc teams as you do on others.
Does last year count in this analysis?

Post by 1766 »

keno in reno wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:17 pm
1766 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:09 pm Aggressive post but it's not wrong. The B1G/Ivy clearly separated themselves from the rest of the pack. Ivy league teams seem to play a varied brand of ball. Run and gun Princeton and Brown play much differently than more defensive oriented slower place Penn for example.

Every season is different. You can argue the "hero ball" as the original poster described it has worked in the past, though you might get some pushback on the Uva squad with Steele Stanwick that won.

Hero ball can be effective but not when the other team has comparable talent and better team play. I think that's what we are starting to see fully take form in current day lacrosse. It's just a better way to play and with modern equipment and the skill of the players, its easier to play that way than ever before in my opinion. But to the OP's point, we are seeing conference style differences. It's up to the viewer to determine what is best, but no one can argue with what Maryland is doing and the manner in which they are doing it with.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

1766 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:39 pm

Every season is different. You can argue the "hero ball" as the original poster described it has worked in the past, though you might get some pushback on the Uva squad with Steele Stanwick that won.

Hero ball can be effective but not when the other team has comparable talent and better team play. I think that's what we are starting to see fully take form in current day lacrosse. It's just a better way to play and with modern equipment and the skill of the players, its easier to play that way than ever before in my opinion. But to the OP's point, we are seeing conference style differences. It's up to the viewer to determine what is best, but no one can argue with what Maryland is doing and the manner in which they are doing it with.
Cornell plays a very similar passing style. They don’t have as many pure finishers (particularly outside shooters) to unbalance a D like Maryland can, but it has been very effective at times this year.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:42 pm
1766 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:39 pm

Cornell plays a very similar passing style. They don’t have as many pure finishers (particularly outside shooters) to unbalance a D like Maryland can, but it has been very effective at times this year.
Cornell has the top attack unit in the Ivy League.
“I wish you would!”

Post by 1766 »

That will be the match up of the game. Cornell attack v Rutgers close.

You have to feel very comfortable if you are the Rutgers rope unit vs Cornell. For Cornell to have success Sat., their attack is going to have to have a huge game. They are capable of it.
DMac

Post by DMac »

One player in the ACC:
163 shots.
46 goals.
28% shooter.
Overrated players too.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

So much ACC hate after 1 down year haha. I think ACC will be okay, especially with the incoming recruits UVA, Cuse, and UNC have coming in. Think it is way to broad of a generalization to say all teams in a conference plays a certain style.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

1766 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:51 pm That will be the match up of the game. Cornell attack v Rutgers close.

You have to feel very comfortable if you are the Rutgers rope unit vs Cornell. For Cornell to have success Sat., their attack is going to have to have a huge game. They are capable of it.
Cornell will need a big day, and they are capable of it. Kirst in net is really tough to beat. Cornell's midfield shooting is improving, but the attack leads the way. Perhaps the Big Red might try a few inverts. CJ Kirst is a pretty good outside shooter as well.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

masondixonlax wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:19 pm So much ACC hate after 1 down year haha. I think ACC will be okay, especially with the incoming recruits UVA, Cuse, and UNC have coming in. Think it is way to broad of a generalization to say all teams in a conference plays a certain style.
It's a backlash against the strident hyping done by certain ESPN announcers and their double standards. Yes, this was a down year for the ACC, not a permanent shift.
nms

Post by nms »

FannOLax wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:40 am
masondixonlax wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:19 pm So much ACC hate after 1 down year haha. I think ACC will be okay, especially with the incoming recruits UVA, Cuse, and UNC have coming in. Think it is way to broad of a generalization to say all teams in a conference plays a certain style.
It's a backlash against the strident hyping done by certain ESPN announcers and their double standards. Yes, this was a down year for the ACC, not a permanent shift.
Also frustration that the lax mafia will ALWAYS "know" that no matter what happens on the field, the traditional southern powerhouses (and now Syracuse and ND, now that they are ACC) are the best. This attitude is as strong now as it was before the national championship was settled on the field, and undefeated Cornell was picked as the fourth best team in the final vote. I know someone can supply the accurate quote, but Richie Moran, after winning the NC on the field, said something like 'maybe we will make the top 3 in the vote.'
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

nms wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:54 am
Also frustration that the lax mafia will ALWAYS "know" that no matter what happens on the field, the traditional southern powerhouses (and now Syracuse and ND, now that they are ACC) are the best. This attitude is as strong now as it was before the national championship was settled on the field, and undefeated Cornell was picked as the fourth best team in the final vote. I know someone can supply the accurate quote, but Richie Moran, after winning the NC on the field, said something like 'maybe we will make the top 3 in the vote.'
That was 1971. Lacrosse's so-called cognoscenti back then were saying "the real championship game is the Maryland-Navy semifinal." Actual outcome? As the title of Christian Swezey's book says, We Showed Baltimore. Deja vu.

According to the Sports Illustrated article, Richie said: "Do you think they'll rank us as high as third?"
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

Gobigred wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:12 am
nms wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:54 am
That was 1971. Lacrosse's so-called cognoscenti back then were saying "the real championship game is the Maryland-Navy semifinal." Actual outcome? As the title of Christian Swezey's book says, We Showed Baltimore. Deja vu.

According to the Sports Illustrated article, Richie said: "Do you think they'll rank us as high as third?"
So basically this all boils down to Ivy League feeling like they’ve been slighted in the past. I don’t really understand the conference comradely. I root for my team not my conference.

And while it is certainly not right, I think it is somewhat understandable committees favor ACC over Ivys just based off history. Last 20 years - Ivy League NCAA champions: 2, ACC: 14….

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”