Ivy League 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Ezra White

Re: Ivy League 2022

Post by Ezra White »

Ezra White wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:00 pm
b1w7o9y7h wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:31 am
drunkmonkey30 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:13 am Another factor in the low Cornell v Ohio St student attendance was finals staring Monday.
Obviously today's college kids have their priorities askew if they are skipping a lax game to study! What the heck?!?! ;)
Right. This is something Cornell could easily fix. In years Cornell hosts the NC$$, either call off finals or just give students who turn in a ticket stub from the game A's on their finals.

As an intended consequence of the latter alternative, this would make Cornell's grading profile more closely resemble Harvard's. :lol:
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

ICGrad wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:57 am
MoralTerpitude wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:48 pm Well... hockey is THE sport on the hill, right? I mean, heck, when I was up there Chad Levitt had the season where he almost broke Ed Marinaro's Ivy League rushing record (crazy the way that ended, btw). And yet you could still get a seat at the Kopf to watch that team. Hockey? Toughest ticket in town. RPI or Harvard in town? Forget about it.
Well, the Kopf does hold a few more people than Lynah Rink.

And to be fair, Cornell had a very good hockey season this past year, but the games I watched on TV were pretty sparsely attended (for hockey, anyway). I was surprised to see so many empty seats. Maybe it picked up late in the season, but I think people are still coming out ouf their COVID-shells, which might have impacted the lax attendance, at least early season, too.
True, can’t really compare the two I guess… just that, the year Levitt was closing in on the record, he was THE story on campus, and the games were very well attended.

Anyways, there’s a kid in my neighborhood who goes to Cornell, and babysits our daughter. When she came back for fall break she told us about some of the on-campus rules related to COVID. They were insane! Like you have to get tested every week, or you lose internet access, and thus can’t do school work online (and functionally can’t attend class, see class notes, turn in assignments, etc.). She also was home for a few weeks in I think January, attending school remotely - believe this was school wide after winter break. So guessing those factors held down hockey attendance too.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Shoot high on Burkinshaw and he'll probably save it.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Penn's lack of depth caught up to them on a hot day, which shouldn't negate the outstanding season they had. They did a good job playing to their strengths all year, keeping games close and more often than not capitalizing at the end. Didn't have the gas to do so today. Burkinshaw was phenomenal in spite of being outdueled by Kirst. Rutgers did a good job of neutralizing Handley, who looked out of sorts to boot.
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

calourie wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:46 pm Penn's lack of depth caught up to them on a hot day, which shouldn't negate the outstanding season they had. They did a good job playing to their strengths all year, keeping games close and more often than not capitalizing at the end. Didn't have the gas to do so today. Burkinshaw was phenomenal in spite of being outdueled by Kirst. Rutgers did a good job of neutralizing Handley, who looked out of sorts to boot.
I kind of felt it was a lack of game management and not making that "one more pass" when they were rolling (10 minutes or so were left, iirc). With the Rutgers goalie standing on his head, and the Rutgers defense gassed, that extra pass and better shot placement could have generated another goal or two, but instead Rutgers got possessions and to their credit as an exceptional team they performed down the stretch all over the field, and exhibited very high team lax IQ as they did so. I think Penn will look back at game film and see lots of "coulda, woulda, shoulda" moments - along with their slew of unforced turnovers. I know some studs got them to where they were, but those same guys had a few moments of trying to do too much alone which ended up hurting them. Respect to Penn. And much respect to a very good Rutgers team. I am duly impressed with them.

Post by 1766 »

Congrats to Penn. Winning your conference is a huge accomplishment as is making the quarterfinals. Ran out of gas at end but that is an extremely well coached, talented team that plays very hard. You can see why they are champions. Best of luck moving forward.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

I remember in 2016 Princeton had road grays, not too dark. Could have helped today. Do they have an orange option?
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Congratulations to Princeton. The better team today won. Best of luck Memorial Day weekend. Princeton Tigers lacrosse is definitely back!
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Princeton.

Is.

BACK!!!

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Congrats to the Tigers, good luck going forward.
Congrats Penn & Yale on fine seasons after a long layoff.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Matt Madalon. Good for him and the Tigers. So cool to see a D3 guy climb the ladder.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Congrats to the Princeton Tigers on their win today and best of luck on Memorial Day weekend.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

I was not impressed with Penn’s offense the past two weeks.It had no flow and nothing came easy. It is just based entirely on 1on 1 dodging and outside shots. They Quakers don’t seem to move the ball enough and get many easy shots.Penn not getting the next goal when up 8-6 midway through the 4th quarter despite some good possessions was the key to the game. Handley missing the cage on what looked like a sure goal late in the game was a big play as well.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:45 pm Congrats to the Tigers, good luck going forward.
Congrats Penn & Yale on fine seasons after a long layoff.
I wrote my thanks and appreciation to the small but influential group of Yale seniors on the Yale thread, but wanted to add my best wishes to the graduating Penn seniors and extend congratulations to Penn lacrosse on an excellent season. Best of luck to the Big Red tomorrow and to Princeton on Memorial Day weekend. #OneIvy
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 6:45 pm Matt Madalon. Good for him and the Tigers. So cool to see a D3 guy climb the ladder.
He’s done an excellent job. It’s a good staff.
“I wish you would!”
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

Chousnake wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:20 pm I was not impressed with Penn’s offense the past two weeks.It had no flow and nothing came easy. It is just based entirely on 1on 1 dodging and outside shots. They Quakers don’t seem to move the ball enough and get many easy shots.Penn not getting the next goal when up 8-6 midway through the 4th quarter despite some good possessions was the key to the game. Handley missing the cage on what looked like a sure goal late in the game was a big play as well.
Agree. Seemed like a lot of freelancing resulting in poor shot selection.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Multiple Ivies played their league cohorts twice this year. All went 1-1. Helluva year.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:59 pm Multiple Ivies played their league cohorts twice this year. All went 1-1. Helluva year.
Hmmmmmeaning Princeton will be national champions.

:)
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Chousnake wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:20 pm I was not impressed with Penn’s offense the past two weeks.It had no flow and nothing came easy. It is just based entirely on 1on 1 dodging and outside shots. They Quakers don’t seem to move the ball enough and get many easy shots.Penn not getting the next goal when up 8-6 midway through the 4th quarter despite some good possessions was the key to the game. Handley missing the cage on what looked like a sure goal late in the game was a big play as well.
I think Rutger's defense had a lot to do with this. They were really effective in disrupting much of what Penn was trying to do, aside from a period in the third quarter where they slid for no reason and gave up a couple of easy goals. They were so aggressive in sliding and attacking Handley and secondary guys like Furey and Shipley any time they got into a dangerous position.

And for all of the accolades Burkinshaw was getting during the game, he only saved three shots in the second half, and only one in the fourth quarter. Kirst? He had 7 saves in the fourth quarter. Penn actually put ten shots on frame in that quarter, but just got shut down by Kirst.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Congratulations to the Ivies who ended their season today:

Penn: ILT Champions
Yale: Ivy Regular Season co-Champion

Congratulations and Good luck to Princeton for Final Four weekend appearance

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”