Boston College

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

How Bartleby the Scrivener relates to Charlotte North

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Many years ago, I read a short story by Herman Melville entitled Bartleby the Scrivener: A Story of Wall Street (1853). It made an impression on me that translates to the running commentary by a certain faction regarding Charlotte North.

Bartleby is the story of a lawyer who runs a small office where he employs a few scriveners (scrivener is an archaic word for clerk, scribe, or notary) to write out law documents. Each has their strengths and weaknesses. It's a good read and chock full for a short story. All to say, I know North has her limitations.

I watched closely and with great interest and admiration the career of Sam Apuzzo. She was a unique player in that she matched (comparatively) her grunt stats with her glamour stats. North focuses on goals and draws, and more and more, dishing assists. As tothedraw noted--I'm sure coach Acacia is fine with that. She knows her team and she knows which players she wants to fulfill certain roles. I don't care that she rides with listless indifference. I don't care that her grunt stats are barely minimal. I acknowledge that she typically has scarce numbers on that side of the ledger. My point is that she can get those stats, even if it's once in a blue moon. She's physically and athletically able to, as she demonstrated last night vs Ginny Tech.

I get the impression on these boards that some just plain don't like Charlotte North. Whatever it is about her they don't like, they let it seep into their ability to objectively assess her skills, bountiful talents and overall game. Time and again, folks come up with nit-picky, and yes, asinine comments. The one above is a perfect example. A one trick pony (not poney), indeed.

North was hugely responsible for bringing a national title to Beantown, for which I will always be grateful. And as DMac has noted in so many words--it ain't easy to win a national championship. As a long-suffering Syracuse fan--he knows whereof he speaks.

Does North have her faults? Of course! What player doesn't? But to nitpick her game as to what she doesn't do as opposed to what she does do, (which is and has been prodigious--[they don't hand out Tewaaraton and national championship trophy's to just anyone]) reeks of envy and petty jealousy.

Long live the incomparable legacy of Charlotte North.

OuttaNowhereWregget

Credit to North?

An example of North’s value to her team that doesn’t show up on the stat sheet.

Her teammates know her worth, however. Here, both Belle Smith and Jenn Medjid point to North after Medjid scores BC's 8th goal. Medjid (who coach Acacia refers to as the quarterback of the offense) is clearly seen to tell North in the huddle, “That was all you!” It's apparent from watching the play develop that two Ginny defenders were preoccupied with North, leaving Smith and then Medjid wide open for the pass and ensuing score.

If the sport was hockey, North would have received an assist on the goal. In women’s lacrosse, it’s one more thing the nit-pickers can overlook while educating us to the fact that North really isn’t as good as she’s made out to be.

(Interesting to note that North has her arms raised before Medjid even takes the shot. She anticipated the setup would produce a goal.)

Lax101

Re: Boston College

Post by Lax101 »

Please stop fawning over CN. TV announcers do the same thing. This was a routine pass that she was even late to deliver. She had a poor performance and she continues to struggle by her standards. There were amazing BC performances all over the field but it was not CN. BC continues to win when CN does not play well (4 TO's) and their goalie is MIA.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

Lax101 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:50 pm There were amazing BC performances all over the field but it was not CN. BC continues to win when CN does not play well (4 TO's) and their goalie is MIA.
IMO, North is playing through an injury. She has not looked 100% over the last several games.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Lax101 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:50 pm Please stop fawning over CN.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

@inthe8m wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:13 pm
Lax101 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:50 pm There were amazing BC performances all over the field but it was not CN. BC continues to win when CN does not play well (4 TO's) and their goalie is MIA.
IMO, North is playing through an injury. She has not looked 100% over the last several games.
I agree, she's definitely playing through something and didn't have her best day. It happens. I do also agree that there were some other amazing performances.

As a general aside - saying a player has a bad game is not saying they are a bad player.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:28 pm
I agree, she's definitely playing through something and didn't have her best day. It happens. I do also agree that there were some other amazing performances.

As a general aside - saying a player has a bad game is not saying they are a bad player.
I've been thinking for the past few games that she must be playing through an injury, but... what? I know her knee has been wrapped recently but she really looks to be moving well and not favoring anything in particular.
OuttaNowhereWregget

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:00 am
wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:28 pm

I've been thinking for the past few games that she must be playing through an injury, but... what? I know her knee has been wrapped recently but she really looks to be moving well and not favoring anything in particular.
Not only was her right knee wrapped in the last game, but her left thigh, as well. I think it speaks to North's toughness and determination that it doesn't seem to hamper her much. She's not herself, however. I think that's apparent.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Dang! but I hate losing to that team!

Maryland? Syracuse? Move y'selves over--y'all got comp'ny.
OuttaNowhereWregget

This brief live look at the Eagles during the Selection Show this last Sunday has stayed with me. They look a desultory lot. The panel on the show surmised the cause of their mood disappointment at not being the 2 seed which I disagree with. What difference, especially this year, would it have made either way? If BC was the 2 seed they would have drawn Florida instead of Loyola/JMU in the quarters. Not much of a difference. If BC is on their game, they should handle all three teams. My guess is BC was still feeling the fallout of the resounding loss to Carolina. The scoreboard only told part of the story. I wonder if that loss and the way they lost has broken something within the team, in a similar way to what happened with Duke after they got manhandled by Carolina. I wonder how the team is dealing with the aftermath of the we-weren’t-good-enough-to-win-the-ACC mantra which started with coach Acacia. Great rallying cry. Made me think back to the pregame speeches of coach Acacia and JMU coach Shelley Klaes before the 2018 final. I liked what coach Klaes said at the time. Something along the lines of, “Just go out there and have fun, and play for each other.” Whereas coach Acacia said, “Take the next step.” Among other things that sounded like added pressure. Contrived.

In any event, we’ll see how the Eagles recover going up against Denver in the Sweet Sixteen. No cream puffs in the early rounds this year the way they had last year. They’ll have to hit the ground running in ’22. They also come into the dance nursing wounds. I don’t have much hope for a repeat and would be happy if they get back to the title game. And who knows—it might end up being a vulture final. No guarantee Carolina gets to the title game given their past. I'd be more than happy to take that. We shall see how it all unfolds.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

You are over thinking this situation. BC was having technology issues on their end and were not even aware of their #3 seed at the time the video was shot. I know this for a fact. They will be fine and well prepared to make another run this year.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Lax101 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:42 pm You are over thinking this situation. BC was having technology issues on their end and were not even aware of their #3 seed at the time the video was shot. I know this for a fact. They will be fine and well prepared to make another run this year.
That's encouraging. I hope you're right about them making a run. I will be disappointed if they don't make it back to the final.

As for the #3 seed issue, the panel on the Selection Show made the claim that they were disappointed about it, not me. They did look down in general however--especially Scales in front.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Charlotte North

I didn't see any wraps or bandages on Charlotte North yesterday. 4 goals 1 assist 6 draw controls. She must be feeling better with the rest between games, healing, getting stronger...ruh roh for the competition...

OuttaNowhereWregget

Lax101 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:52 pm Big 3 for BC were exceptional. Impressive win despite getting beat badly on the draw.
The turnovers (16-8) balanced out the lopsided draw control disparity (24-12).

The Big Three. I hadn't considered that for this years version. One could make a good case for North, Medjid and Smith. Fits well, especially the way Smith is coming on the latter half of the season.

And looky, looky--#8 had 3 more assists yesterday bringing her season total to 23. Her stat line from yesterday's win: 3G 3A 1GB 1CT 3DC. But all she can do is score. "One Trick Pony" or whatever.

OuttaNowhereWregget

Boston College to all the pundits who picked against them...

OuttaNowhereWregget

No doubt--the players "read the papers".

OuttaNowhereWregget

Charlotte “Char Char” North

OuttaNowhereWregget

Touching and well spoken by Annabelle Hasselbeck. Warning: Tearjerker

https://twitter.com/bcwlax/status/15292 ... 77089?s=21
OuttaNowhereWregget

Great photographs. Really captures the camaraderie between players.

https://twitter.com/bcwlax/status/15345 ... 59554?s=21
OuttaNowhereWregget

Yes indeed!

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”