Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by jhu06 »

DALaxDad wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:56 pm
Homer wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:04 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:14 pm
So, in all seriousness … they let an entire business day go by without issuing an official press release, even to just thank Coach Grant Jr. for his service and efforts?

:?

That is some weird amateur sh*t.

DocBarrister :roll:
Grant Jr's profile is still up on the team site listing him as AHC and OC. Maybe he hasn't yet formally tendered his resignation. Or, if the reports that a new OC could be in place by early next week are true, then JHU may be waiting for that deal to be finalized before releasing Grant Jr from his contract. Or any of a dozen other reasons why there could be a slight delay between when an employee gets the go-ahead (or, perhaps, doesn't?) to state publicly his intention to depart and when the employer is ready to go on record with a statement characterizing the departure.
Or maybe nothing is happening with Grant, and this is just a scheme to increase the page count?
https://hopkinssports.com/staff-directo ... nt-jr-/392
his bio remains up on the site as a few folks have mentioned which is interesting for a university which is the largest employer in the state of maryland after the state of maryland and doesn't lack for resources. This has been handled like a d3/mcla program which is not what you would expect. Edward Lee, the sun reporter has a comment today-from a florida womans sid employee at the maryland game.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:58 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:47 pm
Coach Milliman’s silence is also quite odd, unless he is also on his way out (which is extremely unlikely).

That is truly bizarre and unprofessional. Johns Hopkins deserves a failing grade on handling this announcement.

DocBarrister :?
L-O-W EQ
the lowest....
He probably couldn't be bothered. After all, he had to pick his kids up from school.
What are you guys on that makes you think this requires a press release and the only reason it wasn't done is because Milliman cannot "read the room"? While it is a news item and someone has reported it what do you think every other program does when an assistant is let go or leaves.

Here is a a fully exhaustive and comprehensive list of what the UMD Athletic Department representatives did for public consumption when Reppert left to become the Holy Cross head coach...

Also did you know he is still actually on their staff and payroll?... https://umterps.com/sports/mens-lacross ... eppert/501

Find a better axe to grind fellas.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:33 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:58 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:47 pm
Coach Milliman’s silence is also quite odd, unless he is also on his way out (which is extremely unlikely).

That is truly bizarre and unprofessional. Johns Hopkins deserves a failing grade on handling this announcement.

DocBarrister :?
L-O-W EQ
the lowest....
He probably couldn't be bothered. After all, he had to pick his kids up from school.
What are you guys on that makes you think this requires a press release and the only reason it wasn't done is because Milliman cannot "read the room"? While it is a news item and someone has reported it what do you think every other program does when an assistant is let go or leaves.

Here is a a fully exhaustive and comprehensive list of what the UMD Athletic Department representatives did for public consumption when Reppert left to become the Holy Cross head coach...

Also did you know he is still actually on their staff and payroll?... https://umterps.com/sports/mens-lacross ... eppert/501

Doesn’t look good to prospective recruits, HS or transfer, and their parents, or didn’t you consider that?

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Ruffled_Feathers

I think its been two days and it literally doesn't matter. Anyone who is more directly impacted and in a need to know position like the guys on the team and the guys arriving this fall have likely been informed of the goings on. I don't think they owe the rest of us masses a word otherwise. Did Maryland lose a bunch of recruits during the fall and winter of 2020 because they went like a month and a half without addressing their offensive coordinator hole?

Mountain out of a mole hill.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:58 pm I think its been two days and it literally doesn't matter. Anyone who is more directly impacted and in a need to know position like the guys on the team and the guys arriving this fall have likely been informed of the goings on. I don't think they owe the rest of us masses a word otherwise. Did Maryland lose a bunch of recruits during the fall and winter of 2020 because they went like a month and a half without addressing their offensive coordinator hole?

Mountain out of a mole hill.
"None of your business" is an incredible way to say to alumni/fans/recruits "we're already in d3 mode".
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:33 pm Here is a a fully exhaustive and comprehensive list of what the UMD Athletic Department representatives did for public consumption when Reppert left to become the Holy Cross head coach...

So is Dave Cottle:
https://umterps.com/sports/mens-lacross ... cottle/306
:lol: :roll:
Ruffled_Feathers

Ah yes, I was unaware UMD had also been competing in D3 since the 2020 offseason. Must be the reason they've lost a total of 1 game in the past two years, competition got easier.

Please find me some links to those press releases put out by all of those Division 1 universities that have had staff changes on their lacrosse teams in the last couple years. They give you a news blurb when they bring in/announce the new coach to replace the old one, not when one leaves or is let go unless it is actually a "historic" change like Petro or Desko in recent years. Two years isn't tenure, 20 years is.

Peter Milliman is also still Richard M. Moran Head Coach of Men's Lacrosse at Cornell if you want him to be https://cornellbigred.com/sports/mens-l ... liman/2120

This must be the real problem, dude has been pulling double duty this entire time and of course they didn't need to put out a press release about him having left for another opportunity because he never actually did...

Actually wait a minute...
https://hopkinssports.com/sports/mens-l ... ramala/744
Well sh*t, what was all that hub-bub about a couple years ago with this guy not getting an extension? Why was he on the Syracuse sideline all this year?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:29 pm Ah yes, I was unaware UMD had also been competing in D3 since the 2020 offseason. Must be the reason they've lost a total of 1 game in the past two years, competition got easier.

Please find me some links to those press releases put out by all of those Division 1 universities that have had staff changes on their lacrosse teams in the last couple years. They give you a news blurb when they bring in/announce the new coach to replace the old one, not when one leaves or is let go unless it is actually a "historic" change like Petro or Desko in recent years. Two years isn't tenure, 20 years is.

Peter Milliman is also still Richard M. Moran Head Coach of Men's Lacrosse at Cornell if you want him to be https://cornellbigred.com/sports/mens-l ... liman/2120

This must be the real problem, dude has been pulling double duty this entire time and of course they didn't need to put out a press release about him having left for another opportunity because he never actually did...

Well sh*t, what was all that hub-bub about a couple years ago with this guy not getting an extension? Why was he on the Syracuse sideline all this year?
Coming off 3 losing seasons, a 3x captain in limbo, rivals making moves in recruiting/the portal by the day, regularly smashed on social media by former stars, sure what they need is "we don't know who our current offensive coordinator is".
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

This episode is yet another example of the fact that, even though we all care about this sport, not that many people actually do. Most of those who really care get their news word of mouth from contacts on the inside and not from IL or press releases or even fanlax. Lacrosse is just not run like big-time sports. Hence no press releases, no updating of websites, no real injury news and no real, objective media of any kind. Do I wish it was better? Of course. But it's not.

The decisions of recruits, etc. will be driven by the perceptions of those on the inside who purport to know what's actually going on and not by the lack of press releases or our discussion here. I agree that I don't think that perception will be positive in the short term and it's another negative for a program that's had a lot of them recently, but not sure there's much they can actually do about it at this point.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:33 pm

There's a world of difference between positive attrition and negative attrition.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

nyjay wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:36 pm This episode is yet another example of the fact that, even though we all care about this sport, not that many people actually do. Most of those who really care get their news word of mouth from contacts on the inside and not from IL or press releases or even fanlax. Lacrosse is just not run like big-time sports. Hence no press releases, no updating of websites, no real injury news and no real, objective media of any kind. Do I wish it was better? Of course. But it's not.

The decisions of recruits, etc. will be driven by the perceptions of those on the inside who purport to know what's actually going on and not by the lack of press releases or our discussion here. I agree that I don't think that perception will be positive in the short term and it's another negative for a program that's had a lot of them recently, but not sure there's much they can actually do about it at this point.
"It's our old boys club leave us alone"-is the mentality of a d3 enterprise, and it hasn't been an effective one for this program for the last 15 years. This sport and this university are constantly begging for more attention, more money, more respect, more validation, more resources, they just doesn't want any of the accountability that comes with that. No one at Homewood from the Daniels administration to Baker's cabinet to Milliman to the kids in the lockerroom have earned the slightest benefit of the doubt with anything related to this program. Years ago the sun/il should've done deep dives into why the ranagan era was a bust, why the program has struggled in may, why so many stars have left the program or faced suspensions, why so many alumni are now actively attacking the program on social media in full display for recruits, why there's a consistent drumbeat in the media that the President doesn't support the program, and a dozen other issues. Instead it's "donate to the program, buy our swag, come to our games, and you don't deserve to hold us accountable or hear why a coordinator was terminated after two years". Quint and Dixon look particularly ridiculous here not knowing what's going on and having the integrity to report it out.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:15 pm Image
Pal I couldn't name one.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

jhu06 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:21 pm
Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:29 pm Ah yes, I was unaware UMD had also been competing in D3 since the 2020 offseason. Must be the reason they've lost a total of 1 game in the past two years, competition got easier.

Coming off 3 losing seasons, a 3x captain in limbo, rivals making moves in recruiting/the portal by the day, regularly smashed on social media by former stars, sure what they need is "we don't know who our current offensive coordinator is".
He’s not in limbo. He’s gone.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

flalax22 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:42 pm

are you announcing epstein is no longer a part of the program
cbrass

Post by cbrass »

Maybe commencement exercises taking place throughout the various campuses and schools this week take priority over an assistant coach posting on social media he is leaving. There is always a chance someone asked him to hold off until next week? I don’t know, none of us knows what’s going on. And if someone really knows what’s going on, spouting about it on this forum would probably be a breach of trust.

All I know is it sure is fun just throwing stuff against the wall and seeing what sticks.

Also, put me down as thoroughly enjoying the ‘06 & ‘16 dialogue.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

jhu06 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:03 pm
nyjay wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:36 pm This episode is yet another example of the fact that, even though we all care about this sport, not that many people actually do. Most of those who really care get their news word of mouth from contacts on the inside and not from IL or press releases or even fanlax. Lacrosse is just not run like big-time sports. Hence no press releases, no updating of websites, no real injury news and no real, objective media of any kind. Do I wish it was better? Of course. But it's not.

"It's our old boys club leave us alone"-is the mentality of a d3 enterprise, and it hasn't been an effective one for this program for the last 15 years. This sport and this university are constantly begging for more attention, more money, more respect, more validation, more resources, they just doesn't want any of the accountability that comes with that. No one at Homewood from the Daniels administration to Baker's cabinet to Milliman to the kids in the lockerroom have earned the slightest benefit of the doubt with anything related to this program. Years ago the sun/il should've done deep dives into why the ranagan era was a bust, why the program has struggled in may, why so many stars have left the program or faced suspensions, why so many alumni are now actively attacking the program on social media in full display for recruits, why there's a consistent drumbeat in the media that the President doesn't support the program, and a dozen other issues. Instead it's "donate to the program, buy our swag, come to our games, and you don't deserve to hold us accountable or hear why a coordinator was terminated after two years". Quint and Dixon look particularly ridiculous here not knowing what's going on and having the integrity to report it out.
My post wasn't meant to be normative, it was meant to be descriptive.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

cbrass wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:09 pm Maybe commencement exercises taking place throughout the various campuses and schools this week take priority over an assistant coach posting on social media he is leaving. There is always a chance someone asked him to hold off until next week? I don’t know, none of us knows what’s going on. And if someone really knows what’s going on, spouting about it on this forum would probably be a breach of trust.

All I know is it sure is fun just throwing stuff against the wall and seeing what sticks.

Also, put me down as thoroughly enjoying the ‘06 & ‘16 dialogue.
I think I speak for the alumni, players, fans, employees, and lacrosse community who don't enjoy losing and I think hf16 speaks for the pink hat WAGS/no fun crowd/rivals/students who've lost interest in the program.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

jhu06 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:50 pm
flalax22 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:42 pm

are you announcing epstein is no longer a part of the program
Yes. The 3x captain is now an alumni of the Hopkins lacrosse team. What a ride.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”