Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:02 pm
jhu06 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:52 pm Obviously Hopfan16 was 100 percent wrong that changes were not coming.
what the f*ck are you talking about? please find the post where I said that. the only thing i said that even remotely resembles that was that i said there *shouldn't* be a change at the top (read: Milliman) after two years because of the signal that would send to any other potential head coaches about how they'd be treated. People other than me kept trying to explain why that would be a disaster to you but your infant brain couldn't grasp it and still doesn't
You and some others were eloquent and specific about why you thought 2023 would look a lot like 2022 and you were a staunch defender of this offense. This is one of the more shocking personnel moves in the program in a generation and the first coordinator to leave w/out a new job lined up this century. Obviously there's a lot more going on at Homewood than any of the insiders who post here regularly know. The lacrosse big js who spend most of their time telling the world how much they know about lacrosse and spend more time in homewood press boxes than almost any other venue in the sport have an embarrassing lack of intel about the south side of the cordish lacrosse center comings and goings. There's a lot here that needs to be explained. The university still not putting out a statement is a bad look as well. As alumni and fans we care, but also thinking about the 65 plus young men currently in the program/headed to it/and the dozens thinking of wanting to wear the most famous uniform of the sports prestige program and what they are wondering this means for their futures.

There's a lot we don't know about all of this but the great Bill Walsh used to script the first 15 plays of half and to me Grant jrs undoing was how badly the team started offensively. You could go down a list of problems over the last two years. Bringing back inconsistent veterans. Attackmen on midfield, midfielders who do not have the size/speed/athleticism for d1, lack of shooting, no dodging ability, no x/os ability in game, consistent turnovers, dearth of depth. There were literally hundreds of kids switching uniforms the last few offseasons, he had the programs leading brand, longterm job security, basically ever tool at his disposal and things went backwards. You can argue one kid-deso got better but going from absolute bust of his class to not even all big ten isn't what's expected at Hopkins. The freshmen who looked promising in 21 did not make the jump either.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

CU77 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:42 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:28 pm I'd be surprised if Steele wouldn't be an outstanding choice for this job, though, as I don't know him personally, that's merely an observation that it's likely that he has as good a tactical 'lax intelligence' as may be found out there.
That's a largely irrelevant skill for coaching, IMO. Being able to make good split-second decisions on the field, and getting your muscles to carry them out, does not help when you're standing on the sideline. Ask Gary Gait.
mmm, not the same thing, I agree, however lax IQ isn't athleticism...like Ryan Boyle, my impression of Steele was that he accomplished what he did not as much through athleticism but rather through lax IQ. The Gaits had some other, very special, assets.

and not taking away from Steele's and Ryan's athleticism...but we're in another realm when we're talking Gaits or Grant Jr, for that matter.

Of course, I could be wrong about Steele's tactical capabilities.

I'm definitely not about Boyle...one of the truly highest lax IQ guys I've ever watched in HS and college, special....confirmed later in conversations about the sport.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:03 pm You and some others were eloquent and specific about why you thought 2023 would look a lot like 2022 and you were a staunch defender of this offense.
There you go making stuff up again. My kingdom for a single post from you that doesn't either blatantly lie or horribly mischaracterize something. I was not a "staunch defender" of the offense — I only pointed out that it's not really any worse than it was in 2020 under a different staff. I've complimented the defense, which unlike the offense has made real strides since then.

Sometimes I genuinely wonder if you're posting from an asylum. Two posts ago you called out five kids by name — including a three-time captain — and declared "they can be the first to go" as part of your annual purge. Now you "care" and are "thinking about" the "young men" in their program and "their futures"? That about-face can only be explained by you entering a dissociative state and having no memory of what you posted mere hours ago.
Homer

Post by Homer »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:14 pm
So, in all seriousness … they let an entire business day go by without issuing an official press release, even to just thank Coach Grant Jr. for his service and efforts?

:?

That is some weird amateur sh*t.

DocBarrister :roll:
Grant Jr's profile is still up on the team site listing him as AHC and OC. Maybe he hasn't yet formally tendered his resignation. Or, if the reports that a new OC could be in place by early next week are true, then JHU may be waiting for that deal to be finalized before releasing Grant Jr from his contract. Or any of a dozen other reasons why there could be a slight delay between when an employee gets the go-ahead (or, perhaps, doesn't?) to state publicly his intention to depart and when the employer is ready to go on record with a statement characterizing the departure.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

i don't know about the rest of you guys, but the 06/16 dynamic is the best on fanlax, imo.
Homer

Post by Homer »

wgdsr wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:09 pm i don't know about the rest of you guys, but the 06/16 dynamic is the best on fanlax, imo.
Agreed. Especially the part where OCanada can't be bothered to differentiate between the two of them, and just carries on issuing fatwas against some dastardly character called "2016."
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Homer wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:24 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:09 pm i don't know about the rest of you guys, but the 06/16 dynamic is the best on fanlax, imo.
Agreed. Especially the part where OCanada can't be bothered to differentiate between the two of them, and just carries on issuing fatwas against some dastardly character called "2016."
:lol:
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Everybody who knows anything knows about the fatwas.
What fatwas?
Do I need to spell it out for you?
Please do.

Three months later...

What fatwas?
Please do.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Homer wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:04 pm
So, in all seriousness … they let an entire business day go by without issuing an official press release, even to just thank Coach Grant Jr. for his service and efforts?

Grant Jr's profile is still up on the team site listing him as AHC and OC. Maybe he hasn't yet formally tendered his resignation. Or, if the reports that a new OC could be in place by early next week are true, then JHU may be waiting for that deal to be finalized before releasing Grant Jr from his contract. Or any of a dozen other reasons why there could be a slight delay between when an employee gets the go-ahead (or, perhaps, doesn't?) to state publicly his intention to depart and when the employer is ready to go on record with a statement characterizing the departure.
Wouldn’t really matter if he is not officially a former coach yet. He has publicly announced that he is going to leave the program. The program should publicly respond, at least to thank him.

It is truly remarkable in a very bad and unprofessional manner that Johns Hopkins has allowed Coach Grant Jr.’s social media announcement stay out there without any further information or response … no press release, no press interview, no statement on official Johns Hopkins men’s lacrosse social media outlets.

Coach Milliman’s silence is also quite odd, unless he is also on his way out (which is extremely unlikely).

That is truly bizarre and unprofessional. Johns Hopkins deserves a failing grade on handling this announcement.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
Homer

Post by Homer »

44WeWantMore wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:45 pm Everybody who knows anything knows about the fatwas.
What fatwas?
Please do.

Three months later...

What fatwas?
Please do.
Believe whatever you want. Gresham's Law.
jerseyjames

Post by jerseyjames »

Anyone look into Centennial guys? After all PM graduated? from Gettysburg, maybe he pulls someone from those ranks or has ties to his days playing days, Gburg has tons off coaches out there
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:47 pm
Coach Milliman’s silence is also quite odd, unless he is also on his way out (which is extremely unlikely).

That is truly bizarre and unprofessional. Johns Hopkins deserves a failing grade on handling this announcement.

DocBarrister :?
L-O-W EQ
the lowest....
He probably couldn't be bothered. After all, he had to pick his kids up from school.
Last edited by Sagittarius A* on Thu May 19, 2022 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

I think Hopkins will struggle to get a marquee candidate because of the uncertainty behind Milliman’s future over the next 2 years. It’s a job where you’ll either be praised and revered as the next big thing for righting the ship quickly, or you’ll be back on the move looking for a job in 2 years. Risky.

One guy who needs a job and could be a fit is Will Manny. Still hasn’t landed on his feet since coaching at Utah. Marcus Holman is also back in Baltimore, although I don’t think he’s the same level coach as Manny.
Last edited by InsiderRoll on Thu May 19, 2022 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

jerseyjames wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:39 pm Anyone look into Centennial guys? After all PM graduated? from Gettysburg, maybe he pulls someone from those ranks or has ties to his days playing days, Gburg has tons off coaches out there
Maybe they'll hire the HS from St. Johns HS down in DC. He was a former Gettysburg HC and that would certainly help in bringing in new talent...

Note. this is half in jest.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

steel_hop wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:48 am
jerseyjames wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:39 pm Anyone look into Centennial guys? After all PM graduated? from Gettysburg, maybe he pulls someone from those ranks or has ties to his days playing days, Gburg has tons off coaches out there
Maybe they'll hire the HS from St. Johns HS down in DC. He was a former Gettysburg HC and that would certainly help in bringing in new talent...

Note. this is half in jest.
Wes Speaks would actually be kind of interesting (he also played for Seaman at Towson), but he's a defensive guy

If they're going to hire someone very young like Manny/Holman I'd probably rather have Crawley at that point, he has even more experience as a D1 coordinator and recruiter and obviously he's an alum who played for Petro so maybe it goes a little way toward smoothing over hostilities with that camp. I was a bit hard on Lehigh's offense this year as they had a ton of key injuries, they were much better from '19-'21 under Crawley and he's known as something of a X's and O's savant with a bright coaching future.
groundballs44

Post by groundballs44 »

Has anyone considered PLL Chrome OC Matt Kerwick? I know it might be a bit of a stretch, but there's obviously history with he and PM coaching together at Cornell. Didn't seem to stick long as HC there, but had some pretty prolific offenses as OC for Cornell if I'm not mistaken. Would he even be interested? Might be looking to stay in the pro game with Chrome LC.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

You're aware that PM was Kerwick's assistant at Cornell for like 5 years, right?

PM had to watch Kerwick run Cornell into the ground. I'm quite sure PM doesn't want him around, and neither should any Hop fan.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:55 am I think Hopkins will struggle to get a marquee candidate because of the uncertainty behind Milliman’s future over the next 2 years. It’s a job where you’ll either be praised and revered as the next big thing for righting the ship quickly, or you’ll be back on the move looking for a job in 2 years. Risky.

One guy who needs a job and could be a fit is Will Manny. Still hasn’t landed on his feet since coaching at Utah. Marcus Holman is also back in Baltimore, although I don’t think he’s the same level coach as Manny.
-He was the ad's handpicked guy, if anything a top assistant departing just reaffirms the length he's got to turn this around.
-"calling out players by name"-some of these kids publicly committed to Hopkins when they were in 8th grade and yes 3 straight losing seasons at a storied program including all time losses to delaware, navy and maryland doesn't win you attaboys. Epstein is a 3x captain, career 100 goal scorer, but they need to give those minutes to a fresh face and need a fresh voice in the lockerroom.
-season ended a few weeks ago and very interesting no one is into the portal yet from hopkins
-nothing from the lacrosse big js yet. For people who claim to have so many decades in the game and so little respect for message board all americans they seem to have very little insight and analysis into big stories and developments. #protectthegame seems to be the motto I guess.

Post by 1766 »

Outside of a d guy or two or you fogo, and one middie, who else would top teams actually want? I'd be begging them to stay if I was your coach. That's all the talent he has right now. You don't want them leaving.
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

Homer wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:04 pm

Or maybe nothing is happening with Grant, and this is just a scheme to increase the page count?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”