Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Hopfan

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by Hopfan »

It will be interesting to see whether PM brings on a Hopkins OC, in which case Crawley could be an option, or whether he thinks one Blue Jay on staff is enough.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hopfan wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:03 pm It will be interesting to see whether PM brings on a Hopkins OC, in which case Crawley could be an option, or whether he thinks one Blue Jay on staff is enough.
I don't think he necessarily needs another Hopkins guy on staff but if that's the direction he goes I'd probably rather have Boyle or Rewkowski. Lehigh's offense wasn't any better than ours this year.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Hopfan wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:03 pm It will be interesting to see whether PM brings on a Hopkins OC, in which case Crawley could be an option, or whether he thinks one Blue Jay on staff is enough.
Crawley was the first name the I thought of too, good call. That said, I don't think it will be him. I think PM is too confident in his own vision of things to be seen to be bringing in someone to appease the alums rather than one of his guys. That could be good or it could be bad. Not sure which at this point. And where does this leave JK? Did he agree with this decision or not? Is that another potential fissure?

This move was surprising but unsurprising. Didn't think this would come now, but the offense looked out of sync all year, and I think some of that was due to PM and Junior not having entirely consistent views on what they wanted the offense to be. Say what you want about guys not being able to draw slides (which is true), but to my untrained eye, it didn't seem like their was a cohesive vision about what the offense was supposed to be. If PM actually wants to be the OC himself (which I think is very possible), probably won't get many high level candidates. I'd guess this goes to a first time coordinator. If PM goes down, my guess is that he goes down swinging and doing things his way.

Can't think this is good for recruiting/retention, but who knows. I did have a conversation with a current parent recently, who told me that the vibe around the program was (surprisingly) generally fairly positive. They did say that PM was perceived as a bit of a disciplinarian who kept a pretty tight rein on the team in terms of going out etc.

PS - I don't think anyone commented on this, but on the Flynn/Dixon podcast last week they noted that Petro and Dwan were at the MD game two weeks ago. Class move to see the guys they recruited off like that.
Homer

Post by Homer »

nyjay wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:20 pm If PM actually wants to be the OC himself (which I think is very possible)
I've been wrong about much bigger things before, but from a distance I very much doubt that's the case. My sense is more that PM's ideal is to be recruiter-in-chief, motivator-in-chief, buck-stops-here guy with regard to player issues, and hand off x's and o's completely to two guys he feels he can trust implicitly.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Homer wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:31 pm
nyjay wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:20 pm If PM actually wants to be the OC himself (which I think is very possible)
I've been wrong about much bigger things before, but from a distance I very much doubt that's the case. My sense is more that PM's ideal is to be recruiter-in-chief, motivator-in-chief, buck-stops-here guy with regard to player issues, and hand off x's and o's completely to two guys he feels he can trust implicitly.
Fair point. It's either one or the other. Not sure which, though I lean towards PM wanting to be more involved because of how confused the offense looked (and something I vaguely remember JGJr saying on an IL podcast about melding two different visions).
Homer

Post by Homer »

nyjay wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:36 pm Fair point. It's either one or the other.
Yep -- we're on the same page.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Homer wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:40 pm
nyjay wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:36 pm Fair point. It's either one or the other.
just trying to find some agreement with someone somewhere, even if we don't, you know, agree
Homer

Post by Homer »

nyjay wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:42 pm
just trying to find some agreement with someone somewhere, even if we don't, you know, agree
Just realized my response could've come across as snarky, which was not my intent at all. I meant to convey my actual, no-bs agreement with what I took you to be saying: PM either (1) wants to hire a flunky so he can micromanage the offense, or else (2) he wants to hire somebody he trusts so completely that he never has to think about the offense.

I suspect he wants to do #2, you suspect he wants to do #1, but we both agree it's either one or the other.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Homer wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:51 pm
Just realized my response could've come across as snarky, which was not my intent at all. I meant to convey my actual, no-bs agreement with what I took you to be saying: PM either (1) wants to hire a flunky so he can micromanage the offense, or else (2) he wants to hire somebody he trusts so completely that he never has to think about the offense.

I suspect he wants to do #2, you suspect he wants to do #1, but we both agree it's either one or the other.
Didn't think you were being snarky. I agree that we agree that we disagree. Specifically, we agree on the binary nature of our disagreement. Cool?
Homer

Post by Homer »

nyjay wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:03 pm
Homer wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:51 pm

Didn't think you were being snarky. I agree that we agree that we disagree. Specifically, we agree on the binary nature of our disagreement. Cool?
Cool
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

Wheels wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:51 pm Could he pry Phipps away from Georgetown? If Benson leaves College Park, I suspect Tills would try to get Phipps.

Channenchuck is also another up and coming OC.
That would be tough. Phipps is loved there from what I hear. But I would imagine Hopkins could offer a whole lot more money than Gtown, right? But then you run the risk of Maryland just taking him once Benson leaves.

Who knows. But I feel like the only way to go is up for the new Hopkins OC.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:16 pm
Wheels wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:51 pm Could he pry Phipps away from Georgetown? If Benson leaves College Park, I suspect Tills would try to get Phipps.

Channenchuck is also another up and coming OC.
That would be tough. Phipps is loved there from what I hear. But I would imagine Hopkins could offer a whole lot more money than Gtown, right? But then you run the risk of Maryland just taking him once Benson leaves.

Who knows. But I feel like the only way to go is up for the new Hopkins OC.
Notwithstanding last weekend (I know the Blue Hens are good, but really didn't expect that), Phipps would be my top choice. But it seems like he has a really good relationship with Warne. And is Hop really a step up at this point (yeah it is, but most people probably don't think so)? And whatever the facts are, everyone saw what happened with Junior, which has to make candidates kinda leery. So I don't really think they're going to get a top tier candidate (a la Phipps). I think they're going to get a first time coordinator. Who may turn out to be great, but it's going to be a gamble.
Mr. F

Post by Mr. F »

Here are some wild cards: Casey d’Anollfo (Tufts HC) and Jake Coon (RIT HC). Given PMs rise through the back roads of college lacrosse as the Pfieffer HC, would he go for two of the most exciting coaches at the DIII level?
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Mr. F wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:39 pm Here are some wild cards: Casey d’Anollfo (Tufts HC) and Jake Coon (RIT HC). Given PMs rise through the back roads of college lacrosse as the Pfieffer HC, would he go for two of the most exciting coaches at the DIII level?
I think these are the types of candidates that we should expect. Tufts did drop a 30-spot on someone last weekend.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Mr. F wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:39 pm Here are some wild cards: Casey d’Anollfo (Tufts HC) and Jake Coon (RIT HC). Given PMs rise through the back roads of college lacrosse as the Pfieffer HC, would he go for two of the most exciting coaches at the DIII level?
Why would they leave successfully running a top tier D3 head coaching position to now be an assistant in one of the most volatile coaching environments in the country where if they don’t win immediately they’ll likely get fired along with the rest of staff in 2 years. I swear Hopkins fans live in a fantasy world. Not to mention D’Annolfo is a Tufts alum and Coon is a Rochester guy.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:52 am
Why would they leave successfully running a top tier D3 head coaching position to now be an assistant in one of the most volatile coaching environments in the country where if they don’t win immediately they’ll likely get fired along with the rest of staff in 2 years. I swear Hopkins fans live in a fantasy world. Not to mention D’Annolfo is a Tufts alum and Coon is a Rochester guy.
Well, they'd get paid more, so there's that. Some guys relish a challenge and the chance to bet on themselves. Especially when there's money involved. One could ask Milliman the same thing about why he went from Cornell to Hopkins when he had a seemingly good thing going already up in Ithaca.

I don't think they're going to get Phipps. I do think there are a ton of other promising D1 coordinators who'd be interested, though.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:06 am
Well, they'd get paid more, so there's that. Some guys relish a challenge and the chance to bet on themselves. Especially when there's money involved. One could ask Milliman the same thing about why he went from Cornell to Hopkins when he had a seemingly good thing going already up in Ithaca.

I don't think they're going to get Phipps. I do think there are a ton of other promising D1 coordinators who'd be interested, though.
They probably both make about $120k. Unless Hopkins is paying assistants 180k, possible but unlikely I don’t think it’s that big of a draw.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Speculation as to the new OC is pointless right now.
The clock is ticking on Milliman.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:24 am Speculation as to the new OC is pointless right now.
God you are insufferable. No it is not pointless. If it doesn't interest you personally feel free to not post about it
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:06 am

Sure. More money means a great deal and so do challenges but every candidate will look at the entire situation. Most will realize they have basically 2 years left - regardless of what defenses you want to put up...if Hopkins continues like this for 2 more years PM will be out after year 4. You can make all the arguments about his recruits or not enough time or whatever but missing 4 tournaments and winning .400 lax doesn't warrant a year 5. That is going to play into a decision.

Having a bad freshman class (and I know the reasons) isn't going to help either since those guys will be juniors by year 2 and the bulk of your players. Analyzing what is coming in next year - lots of Canadian guys (does that work for your personal philosophy for offense?) Then you have the issue of JG being canned after year 2 (certainly will be interesting to find out what happened behind the scenes) doesn't bring a lot of confidence to some security in the position. It also raises the issues of PM (i.e., the social awareness that was raised earlier this year).

so I don't think the position is going to draw any top candidates.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”