Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
old salt

Re: Navy 2019

Post by old salt »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:34 am Old Salt - Other than Loyola, no other team in the PL has had high RPI consistency since 2008. The top dogs in lacrosse continue to be the top dogs, the only difference now, is that there is not much that separates the top 2/3 rd's.

I would also argue that RPI is a not a very good stat to measure lacrosse, the sample size is way too small.
...& until 2011, Navy consistently ran with the top dogs.
That was the expectation, & it was the result often enough to make it a realistic expectation.

If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I believe we are somewhat on the same page. So how does it get resolved? The symantecs of why, is worth a healthy discussion over a steak and a few beers. You have been objective over the years, even during the old regime vs new regime. How do you suggest we get back to a consistant 2004 era, that is unlike the majority in the Patriot League? Much like my comparison of Navy Football?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:48 pm I believe we are somewhat on the same page. So how does it get resolved? The symantecs of why, is worth a healthy discussion over a steak and a few beers. You have been objective over the years, even during the old regime vs new regime. How do you suggest we get back to a consistant 2004 era, that is unlike the majority in the Patriot League? Much like my comparison of Navy Football?
Simple. Hire Petro when he becomes available.
HealthyDebate

Post by HealthyDebate »

And back to our regurlary scheduled programming...(until Petro hits the market lol).

How are we feeling about this weekend? This is a hungry, determined and confident HC. It will be a tough out no matter what. What Navy team shows?
old salt

Post by old salt »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:48 pm I believe we are somewhat on the same page. So how does it get resolved? The symantecs of why, is worth a healthy discussion over a steak and a few beers. You have been objective over the years, even during the old regime vs new regime. How do you suggest we get back to a consistant 2004 era, that is unlike the majority in the Patriot League? Much like my comparison of Navy Football?
That period (2003 - 2010) was a confluence of special people, who came together to create a whole greater that the sum of it's parts.
I don't know if it can be replicated. The potential remains, but I don't see it happening under this AD.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

HealthyDebate wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:53 am How are we feeling about this weekend? This is a hungry, determined and confident HC. It will be a tough out no matter what. What Navy team shows?
First off Coach Lynch at HC knows the tendencies of these players and knows the Navy playbook inside and out, with the exception of anything added this season. He was the NAPS coach for years before joining HC as the DC.

I think HC D will zone it up and stay that way until Navy proves they can break it, otherwise, this could boil down to Face-offs and Goalies. But....if HC shows Zone out of the gate, I say we give our Offense 2-3 possessions to figure it out, and if it stumps us, the foot needs to be on the transition game. Let our midfielders and poles push hard and give the attack the green light to finish.

If we see our players lining up chest to chest in the zone, trying to dodge 1 guy instead of drawing 2 probing in the gaps, then moving the ball quickly, we may be in for some trouble, unless HC Goalie is not seeing the ball. The other thing that frustrates me to no end when we are trying to break a zone is we pass the ball with the poles stick in our path ...if you are a righty you should be backpeddling clockwise facing the goal trying to get the D to rotate.

EDIT: Watched the HC vs Army game last night. I am not so sure HC will play D vs Navy like they did vs Army. Army is more of a high motion/off ball offense and HC is trying slow that down with pressure and EARLY slides. Considering we have historically been a dodge and die offense via middies, I see no reason for HC to play us like they did Army. I sure hope they do pressure us, that favors Navy.

The only reason I like the dive, is it can be a useful tool to break a zone when attacking from X. It will stress that low D player who now has to defend closer to the near pipe, leaving a bit more open that lefty and right wing for a quick pass.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

HealthyDebate wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:53 am And back to our regurlary scheduled programming...(until Petro hits the market lol).

How are we feeling about this weekend? This is a hungry, determined and confident HC. It will be a tough out no matter what. What Navy team shows?
Longest bus ride of the year facing a coaching staff who knows many of these players .. I think HC is vastly improved and concur with your analysis Healthy . A Navy loss isn't out of the realm of possibility !

I say close game in a pick 'em.

"T"
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

They flew.
~Livy
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

Tecumseh wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:21 pm
HealthyDebate wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:53 am And back to our regurlary scheduled programming...(until Petro hits the market lol).

Longest bus ride of the year facing a coaching staff who knows many of these players .. I think HC is vastly improved and concur with your analysis Healthy . A Navy loss isn't out of the realm of possibility !

"T"
I agree, "T", could be a very close "pick'em" game indeed.

As for the HC staff familiarity with many of the Navy players from NAPS and Coach Sowell's playbook, the "Coach Lynch Factor" could well be reminiscent of the "Coach Reppert Factor" as has been demonstrated vs. Maryland 2015-2019 in the Terp's favor @ 5-0/1.000, outscoring Navy 57-31 or an avg. of 11.4 to 6.2. While Holy Cross is 2-6/.250 vs. Navy from 2012-2018 with Navy outscoring Holy Cross 81-54 or an avg. of 10.1 to 6.7, Holy Cross won when it mattered most during the 2017 PLT by KO'g Navy in RD 1 by a score of 11-7.

But considering the following as best one can tell from the record books history...

Coach Sowell’s Navy MLax Results vs. “Top 30” and “Bottom 43”…2012-2019 to date (3-27-19)…
(Based on computations from 3-27-19 Massey Ratings website data and USNA MLax website data)

Vs. “Top 30” teams so far in 2019 stands at 0-4/.000
• #5 Maryland w/ SOS avg. @ 7.5 (Maryland W @ 14-9)
• #24 Princeton w/ SOS avg. @ 20.0 (Princeton W @ 19-11)
• #6 Loyola w/ SOS avg. @ 8.0 (Loyola W @ 18-5)
• #20 Lehigh w/SOS avg. @ 30.5 (Lehigh W @ 15-8)
#32 Navy outscored by the above by an average score of 16.5 to 8.2 (or 8.3g/gm) so far in 2019, with #16 Army; #8 Syracuse; #26 Boston remaining from that “Top 30” group.

Coach Sowell’s overall Navy record from 2012-2019 to date vs. “Top 30” teams is now at 20-46/.303,within the overall W-L @ 52-53/.495 record to date.
(Including 0-8/.000 vs. Maryland from 2012-2019)
(Including 1-5/.166 vs. Hopkins from 2012-2017…Hopkins dropped after 2017)
(Including 1-5/.166 vs. Loyola from 2014-2019)
Record alone vs. Maryland + Hopkins + Loyola (aka, “Top 20” teams within “Top 30” from 2012-2019) totals @ 2-18/.100 of the 20-46/.303 overall within vs. “Top 30” teams from 2012-2019 to date.
(Including 4-6/.400 vs. Lehigh from 2012-2019)

The flip side of the above...

Vs. “Bottom 43” teams so far in 2019 stands at 4-0/1.000
• #38 Vermont w/ SOS avg. @ 47.5 (Navy W @ 13-8)
• #57 UMBC w/ SOS avg. @ 39.0 (Navy W @ 11-6)
• #39 Bucknell w/ SOS avg. @ 18.0 (Navy W @ 14-8)
• #61 Lafayette w/ SOS avg. @ 56.5 (Navy W @ 12-7)
#32 Navy outscoring the above by an average score of 12.5 to 7.2 (or 5.3g/gm) so far in 2019, with #43 Holy Cross; #33 Colgate remaining from that “Bottom 43” group.

Coach Sowell’s Navy overall record from 2012–2019 to date vs. “Bottom 43” teams is now at 32-7/.820, within the overall W-L @ 52-53/.495 record to date.

So, it could also end up that with Holy Cross' #43 rank (#43 on Massey...it's #54 on FanLax), Navy may very well result in a W closer to their "12.5 to 7.2" average so far in 2019 vs. "Bottom 43" teams as noted above.

Very happy to see the Mids are making an air travel r/t to Holy Cross even considering the $5MM budget deficit NAAA is running https://www.capitalgazette.com/opinion/ ... story.html this year. That is a long bus ride indeed and the air travel will help...money well spent and the Mids are well worth it.

Mids 12 - Crusaders 7
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

AreaLax wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:04 am Navy practice at Patriots Stadium
Thanks for the link, AreaLax -- those are some great pictures. Greyson Torain has accomplished a lot in his young life, but perhaps nothing more unexpected/unprecedented than putting a smile on Bill Belichick's face. I know Belichick is seen as the Darth Vader of coaching but his loyalty to the Naval Academy and to the game of lacrosse are points in his favor. (Full disclosure: full-on Boston sports fan here.)
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

Tecumseh wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:21 pm

"T"
You called it, "T". Close until the last few minutes. The "Coach Lynch Factor" probably did make the difference.
HealthyDebate

Post by HealthyDebate »

Thump!!!!!!!
Only way to go is up now, can’t go much further down. Let’s find out the mental makeup of this team and see if they can scratch and claw them selves out of this spot. They made their bed. Now they have to sleep in it.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

HealthyDebate wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:39 am Thump!!!!!!!
Only way to go is up now, can’t go much further down. Let’s find out the mental makeup of this team and see if they can scratch and claw them selves out of this spot. They made their bed. Now they have to sleep in it.
Agreed.

By my count we left 16 possession/scoring opportunities on the field when you add up the delta of GB's, TO's, FO's, Clears, and EMO. Every 2-3 GB's/possessions typically averages out to a goal.

Has the Navy defense, MDD, and clearing schemes become too predictable as well? As I sat in the stands and watched, our clear seemed to take on a repetitive schematic. I had not payed close attention in the past, something to focus on for sure. On MDD, HC seemed to also have a counter, with 2 small wheel routes which forced the MDD into a compromising situation...IMO we stretched out a bit too far and as the wheel rotated up we did not get back in fast enough and pass off that player, so when that wheel forced the rotation we were already out of control and our offside low corner defender did not get across the crease to pick up the open shooter. An easy adjustment if identified in film.

On to Colgate....man the season is flying by.
~Livy
Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

HealthyDebate wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:39 am Thump!!!!!!!

Un pesce marcisce dalla testa, così si dice, quindi quello che penso io è, perché non tagliare la testa?

“T”
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Quis novus dux esset?
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

Abisaren belli

quo incipit non sua, est quo consummare

The last couple of weeks have been rough, but It is worth remembering that Navy is still a relatively young team, especially at attack and defense. The future still looks very bright even though some high potential recruits opted out of NAPS. The season is not over yet, and now is the time for everyone to step up - eliminate the mistakes and finish strong.

Wade has stepped up and congrats to him for hitting the career 100 point mark yesterday.

Go Navy, beat Colgate and then Army!
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

de chet, merde

hors du tube, colgate
HealthyDebate

Post by HealthyDebate »

I have no idea what is being said by a few of you, is that Latin/pig Latin?

Just watched the game again. I see some adjustments on MDD and in the clear.

It’s about catching, throwing and scooping. Those are the biggest issues I’m seeing. I’d probably throw in the mental part of the game. As we have said on this thread before- it’s like jelly and Hyde. More Jekyll than Hyde recently. Hopefully Hyde shows up because this season is still in front of this team. Everything they want is still attainable but they need to get it together in a hurry.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Agreed Healthy.

Hope Coach Sowell is watching this Terps PSU GAME. Look at all the spacing, how EACH of the players keep the ball long enough to try and create and move freely, rotate the ball FAST. I guarantee you wilth certainty this is all carryover from how you practice. The added benefits....your defense learns how to play fast, you are virtually un-scoutable, your players build more chemistry and guess what.....you can run at least two midfields and not drive midfield 1 into the ground.
~Livy

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”