Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HappyGilmore

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by HappyGilmore »

flalax22 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:18 pm
steel_hop wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:12 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:04 pm Welp.

Junior out.

https://twitter.com/JohnGrantJr24/statu ... 2449735686
Good thing we focused on all those Canadians he wanted on offense.

But, not surprised. His offense looked like crap for 2 years. Averaging 10 goals a game...no matter what would be somewhat talent deficiencies is awful and inexcusable to only averaging 10 goals a game. The offense was probably better last year too.
There are bigger problems here than not putting up enough goals. Apparently PM relieved JGjr of his duties and took on the OC job midway through this season. Something stinks in Denmark
From what I understand, Not sure that is true.
HappyGilmore

Post by HappyGilmore »

Junior out.

Read Jr’s press release. Seems like he was let go.
Any thoughts on this? In any event it didn’t seem like PM and Jr were on the same page.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I don’t see Hopkins holding a kid to an NLI if they want out

Jr was not a good hire in the first place imo
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

HappyGilmore wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:09 pm

Junior out.

Any thoughts on this? In any event it didn’t seem like PM and Jr were on the same page.
I don't know what happened but I think his post would read largely the same whether he was let go, resigned, or it was mutual. "Moving on to other opportunities," etc. That could mean a bunch of things.

On the one hand, you never like to see this. On the other, if there was something that wasn't working, it's good that they're looking for a fix quickly rather than letting it fester.
HillsLax

Post by HillsLax »

Coach Grant was not the right person for the job. His prior coaching experience was limited and he was not able to translate his enormous talent as a player to being a coach. I do not know if he jumped or was pushed, but it is best for all that he left. It will be critical for PM to get the next hire right.
molo

Post by molo »

It’s interesting to hear the impressions that he was not a good hire in the first place? Is that primarily because of the idea—supported by the example of another Canadian lefty hired at another once dominant program—that great players do not necessarily make great coaches, or is it something more specific like what I alluded to early on the season and was dismissed as irrelevant?
Laxrules10

Post by Laxrules10 »

Any top OC candidates come to mind as possible replacements that would be interested? Not sure if Milliman has anyone in his coaching past that would be a good fit?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

OCanada wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:11 pm Jr was not a good hire in the first place imo
Who should they have hired instead? Give us a name
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Not sure you can blame the OC for all the clearing problems in 2022.
Whoever they hire will need to hit the ground running.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

flalax22 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:37 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:33 pm
flalax22 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:18 pm

Junior out.

But, not surprised. His offense looked like crap for 2 years. Averaging 10 goals a game...no matter what would be somewhat talent deficiencies is awful and inexcusable to only averaging 10 goals a game. The offense was probably better last year too.
There are bigger problems here than not putting up enough goals. Apparently PM relieved JGjr of his duties and took on the OC job midway through this season. Something stinks in Denmark
So, was it Milliman who engineered that Epstein fiasco?

DocBarrister
I can’t say for sure but I’ve heard it was a HC and Star Player issue not an OC that had been relieved of his duties
None of that sounds good.

DocBarrister :|
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HappyGilmore wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:09 pm

Junior out.

The press release itself doesn’t really give me that impression except … it lists no landing place.

I’m sure we will get a fuller picture, but his departure cannot be deemed a good development.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Laxrules10 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:23 pm Any top OC candidates come to mind as possible replacements that would be interested? Not sure if Milliman has anyone in his coaching past that would be a good fit?
He played on the Rattlers with Penn's Mike Abbott — would be a tough get but who knows

Coached under Chris Bates at Princeton (Greg Raymond was the other assistant)...maybe Bates wants to get back into college coaching.

Those are the only ones who immediately come to mind in terms of guys he's worked/played with already. He coached under Brecht at Siena but no clue who the other assistants were.

No connection that I know of but Justin Ward at Army might be another name in addition to the guys I listed earlier
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

My best wishes to Coach Grant Jr. and his family.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:50 pm
Laxrules10 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:23 pm Any top OC candidates come to mind as possible replacements that would be interested? Not sure if Milliman has anyone in his coaching past that would be a good fit?
He played on the Rattlers with Penn's Mike Abbott — would be a tough get but who knows

Coached under Chris Bates at Princeton (Greg Raymond was the other assistant)...maybe Bates wants to get back into college coaching.

Those are the only ones who immediately come to mind in terms of guys he's worked/played with already. He coached under Brecht at Siena but no clue who the other assistants were.

No connection that I know of but Justin Ward at Army might be another name in addition to the guys I listed earlier
I just assumed we were going to steal someone from Cornell.

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:55 pm

DocBarrister ;)
Not sure if this was tongue in cheek, but the two programs are going in different directions, and I have a tough time seeing a coach leave Buczek’s staff to join PM’s. At least partly because no players came with PM from Ithaca.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Gee 2016. He was a bad hire. Deal with it. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Do you ever do anything other than apologize.

They could have retained Benson. I am certain with your unsurpassed knowledge of offense you can name half a dozen more.

Explain why he was the right hire and better than other established OCs. There seems to be a pattern of trying to deflect and obfuscate rather than explain ex. Why Jr was a great hire.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

OCanada wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:10 pm Gee 2016. He was a bad hire. Deal with it. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Do you ever do anything other than apologize.

They could have retained Benson. I am certain with your unsurpassed knowledge of offense you can name half a dozen more.

Explain why he was the right hire and better than other established OCs. There seems to be a pattern of trying to deflect and obfuscate rather than explain ex. Why Jr was a great hire.
so you can't name one single person they should have hired instead?

can you even name one other coach in d1 lacrosse other than bobby benson and dave pietramala? beginning to doubt that you can

"there seems to be a pattern of trying to deflect" — that's exactly what you're doing right now. you said he was a bad hire and refuse to name who you'd have preferred. benson wasn't an option. i'm all ears.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:08 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:55 pm

DocBarrister ;)
Not sure if this was tongue in cheek, but the two programs are going in different directions, and I have a tough time seeing a coach leave Buczek’s staff to join PM’s. At least partly because no players came with PM from Ithaca.
Joke.

But Hopkins probably offers really good money. I suspect the Hopkins OC is better paid than the majority of head coaches in Division I lacrosse.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

flalax22 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:52 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:23 pm

Junior out.

Well based on his time at Cornell I think PM is still going to want Canadians. He's not Junior but he has connections in that world

Immediate question is the replacement. Some initial thoughts on who could be realistic candidates:

Jim Mitchell, Princeton
John Hogan, Richmond
Steven Boyle, Drexel
Matt Rewkowski, Delaware
Tyler Granelli, Jacksonville
Stephen Brundage, Hobart
Jake Bernhardt, Vermont
Ken Broschart, High Point
Scott Meehan, St. Joe's
Any of those guys upstate guys?
Not one of the guys above… but,

Seremet
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Could he pry Phipps away from Georgetown? If Benson leaves College Park, I suspect Tills would try to get Phipps.

Channenchuck is also another up and coming OC.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”