ESPN Crew is Unlistenable

D1 Mens Lacrosse
10stone5

Re: ESPN Crew is Unlistenable

Post by 10stone5 »

random observer wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:08 pm
10stone5 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:03 pm
henryben wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:07 pm Eamon McAnaney was the best color guy, IMO.

Still remember his calls in the ND / DU semi-final game when Perkovic had that amazing 4th quarter.

Not sure what happened to him.
And the Notre Dame - Albany
quarterfinal game.
McAnaney got a good gig as a sports anchor at SNY. Was more play-by-play than color, but agree that he was really good in his role. He has a terrific voice for broadcasting and was excellent at matching the excitement of the big moments without descending into histrionics. Had a couple of so-so shticks and could be a little preachy about certain things (I remember a hangman situation in a JHU/UNC game where he bordered on blasting Sankey for stalling rather than blaming the lack of shot clock), but all in all I think the broadcasts have been a bit less momentous since his exit.
Definitely 👍
Booker

Post by Booker »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:22 pm
Carroll81 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:47 pm Bring back Booker!
Said no one....ever.
Actually, I believe someone just did. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The bashing of all the hard working, talented broadcasters on here is awful.
All these broadcasters do incredible work. The ESPN Producers are amazing as well.

They have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom ................

"I have neither the time, nor the inclination, to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said Thank You and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and man a post". Either way I don't give a damn about your opinion of the broadcasters who do all they can to bring our great sport to so many thankful fans !! (pick up a mic and call a game ... then boldly post 'anonymously')

Booker Corrigan

Post by 1766 »

I'm not sure comparing broadcasters of what is still a niche sport to those fighting for freedom is a great way to gain sympathy. Public figures get scrutinized publicly. It's part of the job.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

And the complaints are that the top-paid ESPN talent has become lazy and self-indulgent and hugely neglectful of their core audience.

When I feel compelled to turn off the ESPN sound and listen to local radio instead, that's really bad. Any number of schools do a far better job with their local announcers than the top-paid ESPN talent.

So I would rather that the QuACkers just said Thank You and went on their way, and turned the job over to people who actually care more about the game in front of them than haircuts and restaurants and teams not playing ....
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

CU77 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:01 pm And the complaints are that the top-paid ESPN talent has become lazy and self-indulgent and hugely neglectful of their core audience.

When I feel compelled to turn off the ESPN sound and listen to local radio instead, that's really bad. Any number of schools do a far better job with their local announcers than the top-paid ESPN talent.

So I would rather that the QuACkers just said Thank You and went on their way, and turned the job over to people who actually care more about the game in front of them than haircuts and restaurants and teams not playing ....
And name dropping.
“I wish you would!”
Bart

Post by Bart »

Booker wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:00 pm
Said no one....ever.

All these broadcasters do incredible work. The ESPN Producers are amazing as well.

They have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom ................

"I have neither the time, nor the inclination, to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said Thank You and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and man a post". Either way I don't give a damn about your opinion of the broadcasters who do all they can to bring our great sport to so many thankful fans !! (pick up a mic and call a game ... then boldly post 'anonymously')

Booker Corrigan
This post trumps anything on the Hopkins thread EVER. Sorry fellas.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

The analogizing of the broadcasters committing a similar service to those who have served in the Armed Forces; and using the movie with which the quote is from, a character who wound up being arrested, is utterly tremendous stuff. All time great posting
Laxter

Post by Laxter »

Said no one....ever.

Booker Corrigan
Here here, Booker! Some here may have forgotten the days when lax on TV was a rarity. I vividly remember setting my vcr to catch the replay of the Cuse/UVa OT thriller in 1994. I also remember listening to the 1996 final on my car radio. Some here are also just upset that they called out the committee for their, um, questionable decisions this time around. I think the ESPN guys do a great job, as do you. Growing the game involves reaching young people and entertaining them, and these guys are doing that.
Typical Lax Dad

Laxter wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:16 pm
Said no one....ever.

Booker Corrigan
Here here, Booker! Some here may have forgotten the days when lax on TV was a rarity. I vividly remember setting my vcr to catch the replay of the Cuse/UVa OT thriller in 1994. I also remember listening to the 1996 final on my car radio. Some here are also just upset that they called out the committee for their, um, questionable decisions this time around. I think the ESPN guys do a great job, as do you. Growing the game involves reaching you people, and these guys are doing that.
They turn people off with their broadcast schtick. The behavior after the tournament selections was unprofessional. This wasn’t discussions to drum up interest on an ESPN platform but instead it came across as personal animus. I turn the volume off. (I like Paul personally. A good guy).
“I wish you would!”
Laxter

Post by Laxter »

Agree to disagree I guess. I prefer commentators/analysts who share their opinions rather than simply toeing the company line. I thought Carc was very respectful in his critique following the selections even though you could tell he was upset. Are they a little schticky sometimes? Sure, but that’s hardly worthy of all the hate IMO.
Typical Lax Dad

Laxter wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:44 pm Agree to disagree I guess. I prefer commentators/analysts who share their opinions rather than simply toeing the company line. I thought Carc was very respectful in his critique following the selections even though you could tell he was upset. Are they a little schticky sometimes? Sure, but that’s hardly worthy of all the hate IMO.
I don’t need to hear an opinion on the best Chicken Parm or how many wings a player’s dad can eat.
“I wish you would!”
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:02 pm
Laxter wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:44 pm Agree to disagree I guess. I prefer commentators/analysts who share their opinions rather than simply toeing the company line. I thought Carc was very respectful in his critique following the selections even though you could tell he was upset. Are they a little schticky sometimes? Sure, but that’s hardly worthy of all the hate IMO.
I don’t need to hear an opinion on the best Chicken Parm or how many wings a player’s dad can eat.
Actual exchange during the NCAA selection show, referring to a gentleman on the Princeton lax squad:
Cotter: “Who’s the dude in the black shirt there - the third from the left. Look at that dude - has he been doing some curls???”
Carc: “He looks like he stole my gold chain.”
*all the men on the set start laughing*

Is that the brand of shtick the average lax fan enjoys? I mean, if I was in the mood to watch a bunch of meatballs yucking it up, I’d netflix an episode of the Jersey Shore. Actually, no I wouldn’t, because I’m never in the mood!
Typical Lax Dad

MoralTerpitude wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:38 pm
Actual exchange during the NCAA selection show, referring to a gentleman on the Princeton lax squad:
Cotter: “Who’s the dude in the black shirt there - the third from the left. Look at that dude - has he been doing some curls???”

Is that the brand of shtick the average lax fan enjoys? I mean, if I was in the mood to watch a bunch of meatballs yucking it up, I’d netflix an episode of the Jersey Shore. Actually, no I wouldn’t, because I’m never in the mood!
The gold chain comment has become a joke.
“I wish you would!”
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Said no one....ever.

Booker Corrigan
Well said, Booker!

Joe
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:44 pm

Ah… I’ve missed that.
Typical Lax Dad

MoralTerpitude wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:09 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:44 pm

Ah… I’ve missed that.
Has become a joke since the comment.
“I wish you would!”
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Apparently a contrarian pov but I like watching games with Cotter and Carc. They bring a ton of energy to a broadcast that is needed for some of these games. I get some of the knicks on Quint but he is solid overall. Really liked Eamon McAnaney. He was a loss for college lacrosse
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

Said no one....ever.

Booker Corrigan
Booker, thanks for posting. I think these guys generally do a good job. Maybe there is some oversaturation with some of the things they say, like Paul's "from a dodging standpoint" phrasing. While there are some guys I'd prefer to listen to over others, I never find myself screaming at the announcers or muting them. I don't consume anything on ESPN that isn't live sports (only exception being NFL Draft). No talk shows, no highlight shows, no radio shows. I find all of that stuff unlistenable, so I'm guessing I'm not part of ESPN's target audience.

If you feel comfortable doing so, could you tell to us if Quint, Paul and others see these comments and what they think about them? Does any of this get through to them as constructive criticism that they can do better? Are they instructed by their bosses to keep doing what they're doing? Or, do Quint and Paul try to do more of the things that will piss off anonymous Fanlax posters?
LeeRoggy

Post by LeeRoggy »

ohmilax34 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:39 am
Said no one....ever.

Booker Corrigan
Booker, thanks for posting. I think these guys generally do a good job. Maybe there is some oversaturation with some of the things they say, like Paul's "from a dodging standpoint" phrasing. While there are some guys I'd prefer to listen to over others, I never find myself screaming at the announcers or muting them. I don't consume anything on ESPN that isn't live sports (only exception being NFL Draft). No talk shows, no highlight shows, no radio shows. I find all of that stuff unlistenable, so I'm guessing I'm not part of ESPN's target audience.

If you feel comfortable doing so, could you tell to us if Quint, Paul and others see these comments and what they think about them? Does any of this get through to them as constructive criticism that they can do better? Are they instructed by their bosses to keep doing what they're doing? Or, do Quint and Paul try to do more of the things that will tick off anonymous Fanlax posters?
A lacrosse talk show with a lot of film breakdown, like Ron Jaworski was, is what we need in the sport.

There's a happy medium, and I can say that when I did some color commentary for Brevard Sports Network on a live broadcast, the viewers were very complimentary of the analysis. And I'm hardly ESPN quality.

We need to try treating the audience with more insight of the game. It's fine to bring the human interest insights into it, but the balance needs to swing a little more towards informing the viewer of strategy and analysis.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

LeeRoggy wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:48 pm
ohmilax34 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:39 am
Said no one....ever.

Booker Corrigan

If you feel comfortable doing so, could you tell to us if Quint, Paul and others see these comments and what they think about them? Does any of this get through to them as constructive criticism that they can do better? Are they instructed by their bosses to keep doing what they're doing? Or, do Quint and Paul try to do more of the things that will tick off anonymous Fanlax posters?
A lacrosse talk show with a lot of film breakdown, like Ron Jaworski was, is what we need in the sport.

There's a happy medium, and I can say that when I did some color commentary for Brevard Sports Network on a live broadcast, the viewers were very complimentary of the analysis. And I'm hardly ESPN quality.

We need to try treating the audience with more insight of the game. It's fine to bring the human interest insights into it, but the balance needs to swing a little more towards informing the viewer of strategy and analysis.
Not clear to me how anyone could disagree with this.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”