ESPN Crew is Unlistenable

D1 Mens Lacrosse
old salt

Re: ESPN Crew is Unlistenable

Post by old salt »

jrn19 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:44 pm Zim is a treasure. Real glad he calls two games a season while we get the usual fare refusing to call the game
Zim is really good. He holds my interest. It took me most of the game trying to think of who he sounds like.
Then it came to me -- Robert DuVall.
old salt

Post by old salt »

ICGrad wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:30 pm I'm pretty sure those announcers had zero idea DeLuca was a former coach, let alone head coach, at Cornell. Not a single mention of DeLuca leading his team up against his former team and alma mater.
You must not have watched the post game interview. It's still on ESPN+.
The announcers know him & the history. DeLuca acknowledged Zim's compliment as "meaning a lot coming from you Coach".
The other announcer said "...when you took the job at Delaware it was for nights like this." That elicited a gracious smile from DeLuca.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

old salt wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:50 am
ICGrad wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:30 pm I'm pretty sure those announcers had zero idea DeLuca was a former coach, let alone head coach, at Cornell. Not a single mention of DeLuca leading his team up against his former team and alma mater.
You must not have watched the post game interview. It's still on ESPN+.
The announcers know him & the history. DeLuca acknowledged Zim's compliment as "meaning a lot coming from you Coach".
The other announcer said "...when you took the job at Delaware it was for nights like this." That elicited a gracious smile from DeLuca.
I did not watch that far; just the few minutes after the game when they were talking about the matchup with Cornell but didn't acknowledge the connection.

Good to know they put it out there.
MDralphie

Post by MDralphie »

Anish is terrible. Has been and will continue to be terrible. Likes the usual teams the “voices of lacrosse” espouse. Regurgitates the talking points of Carc/Quint. Supposed to do play by play for NFL Panthers. Wish he would go practice.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Anish was fine when paired with Ryan Boyle for the Cornell-Cuse game. It's Quint and Carc who provide the babble, and sadly Anish goes along.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Anish definitely gets roped into their sillyness.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

CU77 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:12 pm Anish was fine when paired with Ryan Boyle for the Cornell-Cuse game. It's Quint and Carc who provide the babble, and sadly Anish goes along.
They are indeed the Babble Bros...
:lol:
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:08 am
CU77 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:12 pm Anish was fine when paired with Ryan Boyle for the Cornell-Cuse game. It's Quint and Carc who provide the babble, and sadly Anish goes along.
Carc and Quint hold the sport back. Imagine being a casual or new fan and tuning into that garbage. They rarely talk about the game at hand. Quint regurgitates the same 3 talking points he’s marked down for a player in his “prep”. Carc is more worried about his fashion statement like a pre teen taking a bathroom selfie. Boyle- outstanding Beninati - Outstanding Zim - Good Dixon - Great Heningburg- a breath of fresh air, will be good
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

flalax22 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:16 am
BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:08 am
Carc and Quint hold the sport back. Imagine being a casual or new fan and tuning into that garbage. They rarely talk about the game at hand. Quint regurgitates the same 3 talking points he’s marked down for a player in his “prep”. Carc is more worried about his fashion statement like a pre teen taking a bathroom selfie. Boyle- outstanding Beninati - Outstanding Zim - Good Dixon - Great Heningburg- a breath of fresh air, will be good
+1
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Boyle is the one I actually look forward to, and he wasn't used at all.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

He was an ACC fan boy in that game too. His mantra the entire game was how a Syracuse win was needed to boost the RPI of ACC teams - over and over and over.
henryben

Post by henryben »

Eamon McAnaney was the best color guy, IMO.

Still remember his calls in the ND / DU semi-final game when Perkovic had that amazing 4th quarter.

Not sure what happened to him.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

henryben wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:07 pm Eamon McAnaney was the best color guy, IMO.

Still remember his calls in the ND / DU semi-final game when Perkovic had that amazing 4th quarter.

He’s an anchor on SNY these days.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

henryben wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:07 pm Eamon McAnaney was the best color guy, IMO.

And the Notre Dame - Albany
quarterfinal game.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Chousnake wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:21 pm
He was an ACC fan boy in that game too. His mantra the entire game was how a Syracuse win was needed to boost the RPI of ACC teams - over and over and over.
I would say he was trying to create interest in the game by talking about the stakes. And the reason Cuse/ACC needed the win was because Cornell was itself highly ranked. And he mostly did not ignore the play on the field to make these points. So while I agree that it was a little overdone, IMO it was nowhere near as bad as Q or C are most of the time.

Post by 1766 »

Individually these guys aren't the worst. Collectively is when they suck.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

A few years back I was a defender of Q as someone who knew the game well, but now I find him just unlistenable. C can be OK when not paired with Q; he was tolerable with Chris Carter for the Cornell-OSU game (though I listened to Cornell radio live, then re-watched with the ESPN guys), but C's overhype ("best in all of college lacrosse") just gets so tiresome.
random observer

Post by random observer »

CU77 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:44 pm A few years back I was a defender of Q as someone who knew the game well, but now I find him just unlistenable. C can be OK when not paired with Q; he was tolerable with Chris Carter for the Cornell-OSU game (though I listened to Cornell radio live, then re-watched with the ESPN guys), but C's overhype ("best in all of college lacrosse") just gets so tiresome.
I think Carc is a wonderful guy but as a lacrosse commentator he is infinitely worse than Q. Hasn't shut up about a good but not vintage ND team all week. There were arguments to point to in their favor for tournament selection, but Carc hasn't invoked any of them; instead, he is so arrogant in his conviction of their talent that he legitimately thinks that the tournament selections should factor in who people think is better rather than what they did on the field.

Add in the fact that his commentary consists exclusively of "[insert player] is the best [insert attribute] in all of college lacrosse", and it's a grind to listen to. Again, love the guy as a person, but someone really needs to get in his ear and steer him out of his own way.
random observer

Post by random observer »

10stone5 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:03 pm

And the Notre Dame - Albany
quarterfinal game.
McAnaney got a good gig as a sports anchor at SNY. Was more play-by-play than color, but agree that he was really good in his role. He has a terrific voice for broadcasting and was excellent at matching the excitement of the big moments without descending into histrionics. Had a couple of so-so shticks and could be a little preachy about certain things (I remember a hangman situation in a JHU/UNC game where he bordered on blasting Sankey for stalling rather than blaming the lack of shot clock), but all in all I think the broadcasts have been a bit less momentous since his exit.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

In last week's IL D-Fly and Dixie podcast both Dan Flynn and Mark Dixon called out the Terrible Two (Anish and Carc) for their childish behavior on twitter after the tournament announcement. While they didn't go so far as to name names, it was interesting to hear the take from a pair in the media.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”