Maryland 2022 National Champions

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MoralTerpitude

Re: Maryland 2022

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Alright all, speaking of fan forums influencing the Terps… a few weeks ago, after Demaio went 2/7 shooting against the Buckeyes, I posted that the one nit I have to pick with the Terps is that Demaio shoots too much. At the time he was shooting 24%. In the four games since then, he has scored nearly half of his season total for goals, shooting 12 for 19 (that’s 63%, folks).

Even before that, I criticized Keegan Khan (different forum, same username). Prior to the first UVa tilt, I posted that Tillman needs to bench him. He had scored zero goals in the previous 4 games, with a paltry 3 assists over that span. After that comment, he went on a run of 21 goals and 10 assists to close out the last six games of the regular season.

So I’ve concluded that I’m a better motivator than John Tillman. :lol:

Tough game coming up… any requests?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

masondixonlax wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:52 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:50 pm Terp fans: a few questions if anyone can help.

has this team been down a few goals in any game this year?

If so, What’s the largest deficit they’ve overcome?
Ohio State. I believe they were down 7-3 in the second quarter.

Thank you.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jrn19 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:54 pm Only games they’ve trailed are Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State. Only Ohio State was for a substantial period of time.

Thank you
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

“Everybody knows this is the defending national champions, and they’re champions until you beat them,” Tillman said. “We have to show in the playoffs that we can do that, so we need to kind of have an underdog mentality because they are the guys that have the crown and you have to take it from them.”

Post game press conference
https://youtu.be/jadv3Wh1QTw
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:43 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:54 pm Only games they’ve trailed are Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State. Only Ohio State was for a substantial period of time.

Thank you
I saw somewhere that Maryland has been behind only like 35 minutes this entire season.

This team is an absolute wagon. Still know there’s a lot of lacrosse left to play and some really good teams (including UVA!) but like they just rolled a 12 win conference champion like they were varsity playing the JV team. Absurd.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Sunday game at 2:30
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Terps have scored 278 goals and given up 138. They've outscored opponents by more than opponents have even scored.
MDralphie

Post by MDralphie »

Wow! Impressive! Hope they came out healthy. Next
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

There's been some chatter from other fan bases about whether or not Makar is an elite defenseman if he doesn't always draw the top dodging threat (Zappitello has taken the Oregonians...Scott, Slusher, Dordevic..and Shellenberger from UVA). Someone on another Maryland board today welcomed Thomas McConvey "to Makar Island."

The 60-goal scorer had an assist on 8 shots. Makar forced 2 of McConvey's 3 turnovers.

Moore looked banged up again against Brown (hamstring). UVA had trouble earlier this year against the Terps winning match-ups in the midfield. If Moore is still banged up, big time uphill battle for UVA.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Wheels wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:26 pm There's been some chatter from other fan bases about whether or not Makar is an elite defenseman if he doesn't always draw the top dodging threat (Zappitello has taken the Oregonians...Scott, Slusher, Dordevic..and Shellenberger from UVA). Someone on another Maryland board today welcomed Thomas McConvey "to Makar Island."

The 60-goal scorer had an assist on 8 shots. Makar forced 2 of McConvey's 3 turnovers.

Moore looked banged up again against Brown (hamstring). UVA had trouble earlier this year against the Terps winning match-ups in the midfield. If Moore is still banged up, big time uphill battle for UVA.
I think what makes me more positive about the UVA matchup is that Shellenberger and Moore had pretty good games against the Terps back in March; 3G/2A for each of them, on 5 shots for Shell and 6 for Moore. Nunes actually had 14 saves as well. The improvement for UVa would need to come from their other guys, but most particularly Lasalla.

As for Maryland, McNaney had one of his few games where he saved less than half the shots on goal (43%). He has been so hot the last month or so that I think he beats that number. He's really been impressive.
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:51 pm
Wheels wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:26 pm There's been some chatter from other fan bases about whether or not Makar is an elite defenseman if he doesn't always draw the top dodging threat (Zappitello has taken the Oregonians...Scott, Slusher, Dordevic..and Shellenberger from UVA). Someone on another Maryland board today welcomed Thomas McConvey "to Makar Island."

I think what makes me more positive about the UVA matchup is that Shellenberger and Moore had pretty good games against the Terps back in March; 3G/2A for each of them, on 5 shots for Shell and 6 for Moore. Nunes actually had 14 saves as well. The improvement for UVa would need to come from their other guys, but most particularly Lasalla.

As for Maryland, McNaney had one of his few games where he saved less than half the shots on goal (43%). He has been so hot the last month or so that I think he beats that number. He's really been impressive.
From what I remember Nunes made some real nice saves early in that game to keep it from getting out of hand early.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

NYterp09 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:59 am

From what I remember Nunes made some real nice saves early in that game to keep it from getting out of hand early.

Was interesting to see the Hoos giving the inbound ball to grad Evan Zinn ex-Hopkins to run out a clock. I gather he’s their fastest-smartest with the ball?

UVA obviously has two great offensive threats with Moore and Shellenberger, but you can get distracted watching them while Cormier and Dickson break free. Both those guys are very smart off-ball players. With Schutz, you need to body him hard so he doesn’t get a step on you. It’s a very good offense, limited only if you’re able to deny them the ball by winning FO’s.

I expect Tiffany will switch if not start Gable Braun against Weirman. He was far better than Lasalla last outing. If Weirman goes off again 67%, I don’t think UVA will keep it close. If Braun/Lasalla keep it even, this game will be epic.

Playing in Columbus might be a Terp edge; McNaney played very well there in 2021.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

I think the neutral site helps UVa... certainly as opposed to having to play at College Park again
AlphaDawg

Post by AlphaDawg »

First game was at a neutral site in DC
tech37

Post by tech37 »

AlphaDawg wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:36 am First game was at a neutral site in DC
Oh, I stand corrected! What field was that? I didn't see the game.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

tech37 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:38 am
AlphaDawg wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:36 am First game was at a neutral site in DC

https://www.audifielddc.com/
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:45 am

Thanks PB. Beautiful venue.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

tech37 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:54 am
Peter Brown wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:45 am

Thanks PB. Beautiful venue.
Yup, it was a great venue to watch the game at, looked like it was made for lax. It looked to me about 50-50 in terms of fan ratio, but it could have been 60-40 Terps fans.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:17 am

Was interesting to see the Hoos giving the inbound ball to grad Evan Zinn ex-Hopkins to run out a clock. I gather he’s their fastest-smartest with the ball?

UVA obviously has two great offensive threats with Moore and Shellenberger, but you can get distracted watching them while Cormier and Dickson break free. Both those guys are very smart off-ball players. With Schutz, you need to body him hard so he doesn’t get a step on you. It’s a very good offense, limited only if you’re able to deny them the ball by winning FO’s.

I expect Tiffany will switch if not start Gable Braun against Weirman. He was far better than Lasalla last outing. If Weirman goes off again 67%, I don’t think UVA will keep it close. If Braun/Lasalla keep it even, this game will be epic.

Playing in Columbus might be a Terp edge; McNaney played very well there in 2021.
pb, i can offer you my 2nd guarantee after the 1st -- that these 2 squads would hook up after wins.
if lasalla's playing, he will start.

then again, the vt guy had wierman's number last year, so maybe ya never know?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

wgdsr wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:31 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:17 am

pb, i can offer you my 2nd guarantee after the 1st -- that these 2 squads would hook up after wins.
if lasalla's playing, he will start.

then again, the vt guy had wierman's number last year, so maybe ya never know?

I’d agree. I think it wouldn’t be received well by the team if Braun gets the starting nod over Lasalla just based on the last matchup.

But if Lasalla loses three in a row, I bet Tiffany hooks him.

FO’s to me are so bizarre. One guy with less impressive season stats just might be the one guy who gives the most impressive season stats FO guy fits. This game will be decided there. If Maryland dominates at FO, Virginia has very little chance. If FO’s are even, I think the game goes down to the wire.

My neutralizing factors are, I think the Ohio State stadium favors the Terps, but the proven (until this past March) ability of UVA to play Maryland tough negates that.

I really thought Vermont was going to keep it close with Maryland. Weirman dominated, but you need to give credit to his wings who are VERY smart and athletic with positioning and hustle.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”