2022 NCAA Mens LAX tournament

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: 2022 NCAA Mens LAX tournament

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

How about this, no games before last week of February, 14 game minimum, get rid of AQ, dump the conference playoffs (pick up a weekend), and select based on formula and committee analysis?

Add 2 more play-in games.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:18 pm How about this, no games before last week of February, 14 game minimum, get rid of AQ, dump the conference playoffs (pick up a weekend), and select based on formula and committee analysis?

Geez mdlax, that's what I've been suggesting.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:22 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:18 pm How about this, no games before last week of February, 14 game minimum, get rid of AQ, dump the conference playoffs (pick up a weekend), and select based on formula and committee analysis?

:D hi tech, hope you've been well!

I think the conference playoffs are basically worthless other than for AQ, so more time for playing OOC enables more points of comparison and shorter season.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

How about this: AQs only. Can't win your conference? Then it ain't likely you winnin the natty, bro. Go home.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:26 pm

I think the conference playoffs are basically worthless other than for AQ, so more time for playing OOC enables more points of comparison and shorter season.
:D You won't appreciate the source but doing away with conf playoffs was suggested by rrr. You need to catch up. Too much time grappling with OS re Ukraine I guess.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

CU77 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:29 pm How about this: AQs only. Can't win your conference? Then it ain't likely you winnin the natty, bro. Go home.
There are any number of ways to make it work but bottom line... need to expand. Parity is forcing the issue.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Men's lax already has a higher percentage of teams in the tourney (18/73 = 24.7%) than basketball, soccer, or baseball, all of which are closer to 20%. Why does lax get special pleading on needing even more teams?

The one change I would make is to follow hockey and use a mathematical formula for selection and seeding. Straight RPI would work just as well as anything else (and would have Duke and ND in this year instead of OSU and Harvard).
tech37

Post by tech37 »

CU77 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:36 pm Men's lax already has a higher percentage of teams in the tourney (18/73 = 24.7%) than basketball, soccer, or baseball, all of which are closer to 20%. Why does lax get special pleading on needing even more teams?
hmmm... is this comparison relevant? apples to oranges to grapefruit to... especially when parity is pushing growth?

The one change I would make is to follow hockey and use a mathematical formula for selection and seeding. Straight RPI would work just as well as anything else (and would have Duke and ND in this year instead of OSU and Harvard).
but not even better to include OSU, Harvard, Army, ND, Duke, Jax? fine with math of course but apply the math to an expanded/improved tourney infrastructure.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

tech37 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:10 pm
CU77 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:36 pm Men's lax already has a higher percentage of teams in the tourney (18/73 = 24.7%) than basketball, soccer, or baseball, all of which are closer to 20%. Why does lax get special pleading on needing even more teams?
hmmm... is this comparison relevant? apples to oranges to grapefruit to... especially when parity is pushing growth?

but not even better to include OSU, Harvard, Army, ND, Duke, Jax? fine with math of course but apply the math to an expanded/improved tourney infrastructure.
Field gets too large it would be unplayable. How many rounds could a team play after a season? Play into mid-June?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:12 pm

Field gets too large it would be unplayable. How many rounds could a team play after a season? Play into mid-June?
College world series ends around June 27th
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Maverick wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:14 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:12 pm

College world series ends around June 27th
Jeebus. Unwatchable.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

it's like we're long lost cousins.
i've come around to expansion. why?
1) we're now past the point of no inclusion for a team that can win a championship. you can argue this year, but 2019.... and likely before?
2) maybe more important.... the nc$$ is now neutered some/catering or there's large change happening or both. there's a new head. why not now?
4 team play in with 2 extra at large spots.
or even 8 team with 12 total. though that may be too much given #5+ may be in a play in.

cost isn't an issue. it can be self-funded. teams fund 15 game seasons across 70+ entrants. it's a couple more games. it may take other sports to do the same, but it's certainly within the realm now. stakeholders can take ownership, it's no longer hard and fast.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Are these stoppages in the tOSU-Cornell game going to delay the start of the Rutgers-Harvard game?
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

There's 299 D1 baseball teams, there has to be a winnowing process. 120-ish D1 women's lax teams.
Full playoff D1 men's lacrosse is currentlydoable; 38 teams playoff for D3 men's lax championship, just add a round for the D1 tourney and, again, you can still split the finals off to have well rested teams.
Let's not forget talk of doing away with league tourneys is anti-capitalist: they're nothing but money making propositions, but that ain't nothin'. I'd sign on, but I'm a well-known s0ciali$+!

Other idea in response to this year's horrible injustice: like The Masters (tm), auto-invite past champions. That way Notre Dame would have nothing to complain... uhhh... oh dear... hmmmmm... never mind.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:38 pm There's 299 D1 baseball teams, there has to be a winnowing process. 120-ish D1 women's lax teams.
Full playoff D1 men's lacrosse is currentlydoable; 38 teams playoff for D3 men's lax championship, just add a round for the D1 tourney and, again, you can still split the finals off to have well rested teams.
Let's not forget talk of doing away with league tourneys is anti-capitalist: they're nothing but money making propositions, but that ain't nothin'. I'd sign on, but I'm a well-known s0ciali$+!

Other idea in response to this year's horrible injustice: like The Masters (tm), auto-invite past champions. That way Notre Dame would have nothing to complain... uhhh... oh dear... hmmmmm... never mind.
“That way Notre Dame would have nothing to complain.”

ND needs to jettison Corrigan. He’s cursed.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:38 pm There's 299 D1 baseball teams, there has to be a winnowing process. 120-ish D1 women's lax teams.

bearlaxfan on a roll. bruno will be back next year!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:30 pm

:D You won't appreciate the source but doing away with conf playoffs was suggested by rrr. You need to catch up. Too much time grappling with OS re Ukraine I guess.
Great minds meet addled minds... ;)
tech37

Post by tech37 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:50 pm
tech37 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:30 pm

Great minds meet addled minds... ;)
ahhh...you just need a decoder and some creativity 8-)
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

CU77 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:36 pm The one change I would make is to follow hockey and use a mathematical formula for selection and seeding. Straight RPI would work just as well as anything else (and would have Duke and ND in this year instead of OSU and Harvard).
No, no, no. There is no mathematical formula worth a p00p that gives good results with such a short season. You, of all people, should know that.
Jlax92

Post by Jlax92 »

Let’s get back to the games

Rutgers easily handles Harvard, which is going to make all of those Notre dame and Duke people nice and angry..Cornell goes on a 14-2 run behind Kirst’s seven goals and five from Piatelli…

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”