Maryland 2022 National Champions

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MoralTerpitude

Re: Maryland 2022

Post by MoralTerpitude »

10stone5 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:01 pm So,

NCAAs, since 1971,

no number one has lost its opening round game,

I see no reason why this year will be different.
The Cavaliers hoops team probably said the same thing that fateful night before they played UMBC. After last year, I’m ready to just watch and enjoy every game, no predictions, no analysis.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:13 pm

NCAAs, since 1971,

The Cavaliers hoops team probably said the same thing that fateful night before they played UMBC. After last year, I’m ready to just watch and enjoy every game, no predictions, no analysis.
Still,

you just haven’t had that level of upset in lacrosse.
There have been several weak #1 seeds in recent years,
but so far, nothing - no number 1 has gone down in the
1st round.

I really wouldn’t put Vermont much higher than Penn State, Syracuse, Lehigh, Navy, Robert Morris — really, in the high 20s
to lower 30s batch of teams.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jrn19 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:19 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:37 pm
MDGrad2012 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:29 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:34 pm
Wheels wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:22 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:16 am
jrn19 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:05 am
Peter Brown wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:20 am I think Maryland will have its hands full with Vermont.

Start at face off. Last spring, Burke didn’t do well against Shockey, but he did do well against Weirman. And when Maryland doesn’t control the ball…

Vermont’s attack is seasoned. They have the smarts to figure out holes on a defense.

Their goalie Cornel might be the best goalie Maryland has seen this year.

A Bernhardt is on their sideline.

Feifs is not only an ex-FO coach, he’s a Maryland grad.

I’d be wary if I were Maryland here.
This is everything that was said last year and Maryland won by like…8?
6. though maryland had gotten it up to 8 late after vermont had closed to 5 early 4th.

mounts aren't challenging with 20+ turnovers and getting out gb'd. it starts there. getting 18 shots on cage won't cut it. they'll have to play fast without turning it over and that's only if they can get the ball.

even with all the ivies, this 2022 is maryland's tournament. the focus is on them to finish this season. odds are they will imo, but it's sports.
2022 Opponent-Adjusted Metrics (per LaxRef)
Offense 43.3% (1st)
Defense 23.1% (2nd)
Face-off 66.6% (1st)
Goaltending 54.1% (15th)
Possessions +10 (1st)
Wierman 65.4% ELO 1673 (4th)
Burke 62.4% ELO 1635 (16th)

2021 Opponent-Adjusted Metrics (per LaxRef)
Offense 40.3% (2nd)
Defense 24.5% (6th)
Face-off 51.9% (27th)
Goaltending: There's an input data error so it's not computing 2021
Possessions +4 (16th)
Wierman 45.2%; ELO 1631 (23rd)
Burke 68.9% ELO 1662 (10th)

I’m certainly not betting my house on Vermont winning.
BUT

But you need to see what Burke did against Weirman when they went head to head. Occasionally, one FO guy just owns another FO guy, even if their season statistics wouldn’t suggest it ahead of time. In this instance, Burke is a big kid; Tygh might be a better choice for Maryland if the first five look bad for Weirman. If Weirman does well on the first five, so be it.

Vermont won’t run and gun. If anything, they’ll look to play nearly the full shot clock each possession; their seniors are smart and will take smart shots.

Jared Bernhardt single-handedly made sure his team wasn’t going to lose last year. That was Shockey’s best game; with all those extra possessions, Maryland should have won by much more.

Like I said, Maryland better be prepared for this matchup with Vermont. It’s no gimme by any stretch.
"But you need to see what Burke did against Weirman when they went head to head." Dude he went 3/4. This is the most amazing case of small sample size theatre I have ever seen. Every single one of your posts has featured this idea that Vermont is going to dominate possession due to their obvious advantage at the FO. It is possible they will, but the evidence isn't exactly conclusive. 4 draws a year ago.

Wierman has flipped against guys who beat him last year in LaSalla and Inacio
Against Inacio last year: 7/20 and 13/27
Against Inacio this year: 10/15 (20/35 overall)

Against LaSalla last year: 14/30
Against LaSalla this year: 13/18 (24/36 overall)

A lot more data in those matchups from last year than in the matchup against Burke. I think Vermont is a very good team and a tough first round matchup for a 1 seed. But you clearly have decided it is going one way in terms of FOs, despite extremely limited evidence. The worst Luke has done this year is 45% against JHU. Do you really think Maryland will do worse than that against UVM (especially with Maryland's superior wing play)? Will 55% be enough for Vermont? Maybe you are right, but I don't think it is absurd for Maryland fans to be confident in their team again UVM.

Also... the FO highlights from that game are available online, since I just HAVE TO SEE WHAT BURKE DID AGAINS WIERMAN. They were literally the last 4 FOs of the game (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i37x-qgAIgo).

FO 1: Wierman wins it cleanly, pushes it forward, and scores
FO 2: A battle at the X. Ball pops up, ends up out of bounds. Refs determine it came off of Maryland
FO 3: Burke wins cleanly, pushes it forward, and scores
FO 4: Wierman wins the clamp, pops it to a UVM player

Hardly the dominance you described. You might notice this is my first post. I created my account because of how egregiously wrong you were. Congratulations.

I actually haven’t said ‘Weirman is going to get owned by Burke’. I was pointing out how absurd it was for Terp fans to talk about a hypothetical quarter against UVA when they’ve got a very good UVM team to play first. That same UVM team gave the Terps fits last year, with Bernhardt playing out of his mind to get that win, and Weirman not faring too great against Burke.

Karma has its way. If you disrespect the opponent in front of you today, by casually discussing the next round as if this one is an afterthought, don’t be too shocked when you never get to play that next round.

And BTW, I’m rooting for the Terps to go all the way this year. Tills is a great guy and deserves the love.

Just don’t like the smug attitude when disrespecting UVM.
"A UVM team that gave them fits last year"

Maryland led Vermont 5-2 after 1Q, 8-4 after HT, 11-5 after 3Q, and was up 16-8 in the 4Q before pulling their starters and Vermont closed it to...6. After the first quarter, Vermont was never within 3 goals for the entire game.

What the hell are you talking about
It’s coming out on the lacrosse side what some have seen on other boards in this universe in volume. Enjoy.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:54 am

NCAAs, since 1971,

Still,

1st round.

I really wouldn’t put Vermont much higher than Penn State, Syracuse, Lehigh, Navy, Robert Morris — really, in the high 20s
Defense wise yes. Offensively they’re better than that named group, I’d peg them more low-mid 20s but when you look at what MD has done to top 15 comp like OSU, GT and Rutgers it makes no sense.

It’s a manufactured argument. He’ll be pulling links to the NY Post soon.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

10stone5 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:54 am

NCAAs, since 1971,

Still,

1st round.

I don’t think the issue is probability.

The issue is try acting like the number one team. Number one teams (and their fans) don’t go around talking about second-round games before they’ve played their first.

Act like a champ, not whatever this has been here. I doubt Tillman is thinking of UVA or Brown. And yup, he’s got his hands full tomorrow with UVM, a reminder to all they’re coming to CP winners of 10 in a row.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Didn't you say on the Loyola boards this year before the Maryland game that Loyola would win easily, it would be comfortable, Loyola would massively outnumber MD fans in the stadium and be celebrating in the parking lots afterwards? Not exactly conduct becoming of a "champion" there pal
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:16 am

The issue is try acting like the number one team. Number one teams (and their fans) don’t go around talking about second-round games before they’ve played their first.

Act like a champ, not whatever this has been here. I doubt Tillman is thinking of UVA or Brown. And yup, he’s got his hands full tomorrow with UVM, a reminder to all they’re coming to CP winners of 10 in a row.
Isn't it time for you to remind us for the 97th time "but hey I'm rooting for the Terps. They're my 2nd favorite team"?
We promise, that we will act like we are the #1 posters on fanlax. We will post with confidence, but not arrogance.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

keno in reno wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:56 am
Peter Brown wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:16 am

Isn't it time for you to remind us for the 97th time "but hey I'm rooting for the Terps. They're my 2nd favorite team"?
We promise, that we will act like we are the #1 posters on fanlax. We will post with confidence, but not arrogance.
“With all due respect..”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Af-Id_fuXFA
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

AreaLax wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:21 pm Hype video
https://twitter.com/terpsmlax/status/15 ... cPqH5N7gVA

Joe Walters is right: ‘one game at a time’
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:10 am
AreaLax wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:21 pm Hype video
https://twitter.com/terpsmlax/status/15 ... cPqH5N7gVA

Joe Walters is right: ‘one game at a time’
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

There's been a lot of talk about this next game. Maybe, maybe too much talk.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Maryland clearly overlooked Vermont. What a close game.

Actually feel bad for Vermont.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Burke owned Wierman last year though!
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:20 am I think Maryland will have its hands full with Vermont.

Start at face off. Last spring, Burke didn’t do well against Shockey, but he did do well against Weirman. And when Maryland doesn’t control the ball…

Vermont’s attack is seasoned. They have the smarts to figure out holes on a defense.

Their goalie Cornel might be the best goalie Maryland has seen this year.

A Bernhardt is on their sideline.

Feifs is not only an ex-FO coach, he’s a Maryland grad.

I’d be wary if I were Maryland here.
Hi Peter.
MDGrad2012

Post by MDGrad2012 »

If the results of the game are directly a result of what fans say on this forum, I would ask a couple of folks to start thinking about Yale/Princeton and for Peter to tell us not to look past UVA. Thanks!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jrn19 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:32 am Didn't you say on the Loyola boards this year before the Maryland game that Loyola would win easily, it would be comfortable, Loyola would massively outnumber MD fans in the stadium and be celebrating in the parking lots afterwards? Not exactly conduct becoming of a "champion" there pal
:D

Vermont's better than they are looking right now, but most of that is UMD is so much better.

Petey lecturing anyone, on anything... :roll:
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

12-2. Holy crow...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”