Why is there no Boston College Mens Varsity lacrosse?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Why is there no Boston College Mens Varsity lacrosse?

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:29 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:50 pm
HowieT3 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:36 pm Georgia Tech probably has the best MCLA team of the ACC schools. They've been to a number of Final 4s. They also have Title IX room, but the athletic department is continually broke.

In the last year VPI had a varsity, UVa beat them 27-0.

The ACC doesn't need a 6th team as much as it needs a 7th team. That way there are two newbies and they are playing for 6th place, not ending up in 6th place.

DeFilippo was quoted as saying "I'll start a {insert sport here} team when Florida State starts a hockey team." To call him a disaster is to give him the benefit of the doubt. He fired Al Skinner, killing basketball, and Jeff Jagodzinski, that set back football for a while and is only now starting to show signs of recovery.
Was at a function where the prior AD was begging for money to buyout Paul Hewitt within three months of giving him a 6-7yr extension, the top donor alums all demurred and they ended up buying him out at 100 cents on the dollar and have been hiring coaches from Hobby Lobby since. FB team is a disaster. Had 50yd like seats and ADs box for two games they lost by an average of 7tds last year.

Tech ain’t adding s**t.
I mean,

it goes without saying,
these people don’t live in the real world.

I recall coaches getting po’d at me,
no scholarship lucre,
had to work for a living and would miss fall ball or other
events.

Hey, we got blah blah blah next week.
No can do.
Gotta work.
Doesn’t get as much attention but the former Tech AD is a JV version of Debbie Yow and whoever is running the financial mess at Rutgers.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

A friend called this A.M. and told me that a kid (male) from St. Anthony's committed to playing lacrosse at Boston College. :o I hope he won't be disappointed if he's the only chap to show up for Fall Ball.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

JustOneTime wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:57 pm Virginia Tech would be a better ACC option. They have a strong club program and could transition well with the 12 scholarship additions. Much like Utah has done.
It's much more than just 12 scholies. Its ~60 D1 varsity athletes plus coaches that have to be added to the women's side of the T9 ledger.

Regardless, nearly all of you are whack if you think a P5 school is gonna add a non-rev sport anytime soon, given T9, NIL and budget impact . There are 20 Unis that have a profitable athletic budgets, and many of those not in the SEC already have men's lax.
Last edited by Big Dog on Sun May 15, 2022 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Big Dog wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:16 pm
JustOneTime wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:57 pm Virginia Tech would be a better ACC option. They have a strong club program and could transition well with the 12 scholarship additions. Much like Utah has done.
It's much more than just 12 scholies. Its ~60 D1 varsity athletes plus coaches that have to be added to the women's side of the T9 ledger.
it's whether ad's want to in some cases. blacksburg is in sw virginia.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

wgdsr wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:30 pm
Big Dog wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:16 pm
it's whether ad's want to in some cases. blacksburg is in sw virginia.
There are only so many Benjamins to go around. This is why VaTech ain't adding a non-rev, non-diverse men's sport any time soon.

"Navigate Research projects that each Big Ten and SEC school will be making in the neighborhood of $100 million in league payouts and the next three leagues -- ACC, Big 12 and Pac-12 -- will be taking in about half that."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... need-solve
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

BC hires new AD, doesn't seem like a lacrosse guy:

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... ources-say
Dux917

Post by Dux917 »

Gorilla Fan wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:41 pm BC hires new AD, doesn't seem like a lacrosse guy:

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... ources-say
Another head scratcher of a decision for BC sports. Miami alumni/supporters were no fans of his and he finally got fired there after bad coaching hires and lack of overall success and even interest in Miami sports. After being at Maine, was in over his head at Miami and the ACC.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Only way this happens is for a very large endowment of the sport to be available from one or more wealthy alums, plus an answer to the the Title IX problem...which means funding for that addition as well...

It's a shame, as BC could certainly be a player on the national stage if they put their backs to it.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”