Ivy League 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Lager

Re: Ivy League 2022

Post by Lager »

So the crown jewel of the ACC beat brown by the same margin that princeton did? Well I'm sold, the ACC must be superior. Brown also just got stomped by Penn in the ivy final. Brown also has been without their best player since mid season. Yawn.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

The Orfling wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:52 pm
ICGrad wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:55 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:34 pm Maryland got screwed in the bracket.
Or Maryland did. Isn't the first time, won't be the last time.

Remember 2019, when Yale/Penn met in that epic battle in the quarters. Still convinced those teams should have been bracketed to meet on Memorial Day.

Hell, I think Virginia won that year in part because Yale had to beat first Penn and then Penn State. They were gassed by the time they faced Virginia.
Over the past decade (small sample size, I know), the team that has played the second Saturday semifinal game has a poor record in the finals -- you wouldn't think a few more hours of recovery time makes a difference but the record suggests it does. In 2019, Ierlan was gassed from two high scoring games and taking a zillion faceoffs. This isn't to suggest that's the only reason LaSalla outplayed him -- 2021 sure showed that LaSalla was no fluke -- the way he and Rode elevated their games in both national championship runs was special.

Congrats to UVA on an excellent showing. I am sure it is a bit frustrating that they come head to head with Maryland so early, but the Terps are such favorites that the logic "you've got to beat them at some point, might as well be now" isn't too far off base. I think a UVA firing on all cylinders with Nunes repeating the type of performance he had in the second half in particular might make everyone forget the first, not-close game pretty quickly. Right now the Terps would seem to have the FOGO edge but after 2019 I learned never to count out LaSalla.
in 2019, ierlan was 18 of 24 (75%), with 11 gbs, an assist, a turnover and a cto.

lasalla was 4 for 17 (24%), 3 gbs, 2 goals and a turnover. his backup was 2 for 8.

i'm not sure what more ierlan could've done even if he had a couple more hours' rest.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

wgdsr wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:52 pm
The Orfling wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:52 pm
ICGrad wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:55 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:34 pm Maryland got screwed in the bracket.
Or Maryland did. Isn't the first time, won't be the last time.

Remember 2019, when Yale/Penn met in that epic battle in the quarters. Still convinced those teams should have been bracketed to meet on Memorial Day.

Hell, I think Virginia won that year in part because Yale had to beat first Penn and then Penn State. They were gassed by the time they faced Virginia.
Over the past decade (small sample size, I know), the team that has played the second Saturday semifinal game has a poor record in the finals -- you wouldn't think a few more hours of recovery time makes a difference but the record suggests it does. In 2019, Ierlan was gassed from two high scoring games and taking a zillion faceoffs. This isn't to suggest that's the only reason LaSalla outplayed him -- 2021 sure showed that LaSalla was no fluke -- the way he and Rode elevated their games in both national championship runs was special.

Congrats to UVA on an excellent showing. I am sure it is a bit frustrating that they come head to head with Maryland so early, but the Terps are such favorites that the logic "you've got to beat them at some point, might as well be now" isn't too far off base. I think a UVA firing on all cylinders with Nunes repeating the type of performance he had in the second half in particular might make everyone forget the first, not-close game pretty quickly. Right now the Terps would seem to have the FOGO edge but after 2019 I learned never to count out LaSalla.
in 2019, ierlan was 18 of 24 (75%), with 11 gbs, an assist, a turnover and a cto.

lasalla was 4 for 17 (24%), 3 gbs, 2 goals and a turnover. his backup was 2 for 8.

i'm not sure what more ierlan could've done even if he had a couple more hours' rest.
Memory really plays tricks. Thanks for coming up with the stats. I guess I was remembering the two goals, which I recall (with my admittedly imperfect memory) as being daggers.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

GSP wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:08 pmThe UVA Blowout affirms the IVY charade... Hey Logan Kemp, how do you like Lars Tiffany now????
GSP, let's watch our language and try to use more appropriate metaphors. FanLax tries to be relatively family friendly...
old salt

Post by old salt »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:08 pm Any reports on the Brown kid who did his knee? Looked like a ligament tear, but hopefully not.
On the sideline, soon after he came out, he was walking to a table under his own power & smiling.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:19 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:13 pm
faircornell wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:40 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:35 pm Ivies 3-0 and now guaranteed at least one team in the Final Four.

DocBarrister :)
Anish suggests people tie sweaters around their necks if Harvard wins...
And drive their Volvo.
Hey! I’ve owned two Volvo’s in the past decade. Great car for a middle aged white guy to get away with all sorts of nonsense!
My impression of Connecticut when I was in college was that everyone had a Volvo and wore a sweater tied around their neck. I remember telling a teammate from a hard scrabble town in CT that there was no such thing as a tough town in CT…. I learned otherwise when I moved to CT for grad school! He was right!
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:51 am
DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:35 pm Ivies 3-0 and now guaranteed at least one team in the Final Four.

And drive their Volvo.
Hey! I’ve owned two Volvo’s in the past decade. Great car for a middle aged white guy to get away with all sorts of nonsense!
My impression of Connecticut when I was in college was that everyone had a Volvo and wore a sweater tied around their neck. I remember telling a teammate from a hard scrabble town in CT that there was no such thing as a tough town in CT…. I learned otherwise when I moved to CT for grad school! He was right!
Willamantic and a host of other spots including east Hartford

But yeah even in my day hobart was filled w Volvos and SAABs. Those were people I made friends with fast so I could get my provisions from the store w/o walking and all that risk on my “chalked up” NYS license that said 1973…
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:07 am

And drive their Volvo.

But yeah even in my day hobart was filled w Volvos and SAABs. Those were people I made friends with fast so I could get my provisions from the store w/o walking and all that risk on my “chalked up” NYS license that said 1973…
“I wish you would!”
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

UVA was the third best team in ACC at season end... Maybe they should have been left out rather than ND and Duke
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:09 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:07 am

And drive their Volvo.

People talk up BlackRock all time but Ive always been suspect. Like Renaissance’s that were supposed to happen since the 70s in: Hartford, Mt Vernon (NY), Catskills and Poconos. Reality they're just high beta land plays when the economy is rolling then millstones around levered owners in a economic down cycle.

Recall taking some fund managers on a non deal road show to see banks in Ct/RI. One guy was real suspect of the Mgt team from the meeting (bank is gone now, sold a few years back), we had lunch down the block at a Jamaican joint and got sick as heck. That night he tells me f**k it this town and this Mgt sucks and makes a call back to his head trader to unload their 4.8% stake the next morning.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

old salt wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:03 am
MoralTerpitude wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:08 pm Any reports on the Brown kid who did his knee? Looked like a ligament tear, but hopefully not.
On the sideline, soon after he came out, he was walking to a table under his own power & smiling.
Thanks, that’s good to hear.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

UVA was the third best team in the ACC at season end... perhaps they should have been left out instead of ND or Duke
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Colin is doing well at this point. He'll get a more thorough evaluation when he comes home.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:03 am
Looked more like a grimace than a smile to me...trying to smile. And not really full power, though not leaning as hard, but that's semantics...looked bad to me. Hope just a deep bruise, but more likely ACL.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Lager wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:47 pm So the crown jewel of the ACC beat brown by the same margin that princeton did? Well I'm sold, the ACC must be superior. Brown also just got stomped by Penn in the ivy final. Brown also has been without their best player since mid season. Yawn.

3rd-best ACC team
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Trolls.

Ivies have 3 in final 8, might pick up another today, might not. Brown lost to Harvard and Princeton, both of whom didn't make the Ivy tourney...The Ivies were incredibly well balanced this year, and top to bottom won most of their OOC games, including against various tournament bound teams. The ACC did not. Period.

But that doesn't mean that the ACC teams, on any given day or series of days, aren't capable of beating virtually anyone...except, maybe, Maryland. But maybe Maryland too...we'll see.

UVA is a terrifically talented team, really well coached, defending 2X national champions. I expected this result, just like I expect Rutgers to beat Harvard, and I won't be surprised if OSU beats Cornell...though the latter match-up was won by Cornell earlier this year.

We'll see.

I was impressed, but not surprised, that Richmond and St. Joe's did so well.

That said, I don't see any of the Ivies as the best chance to knock UMD off in the Semis or Final.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Something else to keep in mind - Penn and Yale had two tough games last weekend on Friday and Sunday. Then they had the faster turnaround to travel home and prep for Saturday games against strong opponents, both of whom played their final games last Saturday. Princeton had a couple of weeks off, and trounced BU. Virginia had a couple of weeks off, while Brown played last Friday.

So I think the schedules had something to do with the results. I figured Richmond would be a really tough out, but St. Joe's had just a bit more rest, and an easier conference tournament than Yale.

Regardless, Penn and Yale gutted it out, and made it through.

Rest should not be a major factor in today's two B1G-Ivy matchups. I think Cornell will benefit from eight days off, as they may get a bit healthier, while Rutgers is just a more talented all-around than Harvard. So I see the Ivies splitting today's games.
Last edited by MoralTerpitude on Sun May 15, 2022 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

UVA looked great -- they've got that old postseason magic going. Great second half close-out -- another testament to excellent coaching by a staff that's as good as it gets. I hope Moore is healthy for next week and didn't tweak the hamstring (easy to do). As if UVA needed any extra motivation as the 2x defending champions (Narrator: "They don't."), I'm sure they will be fired up on behalf of their conference.
GSP

Post by GSP »

admin wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:35 am
GSP wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:08 pmThe UVA Blowout affirms the IVY charade... Hey Logan Kemp, how do you like Lars Tiffany now????
GSP, let's watch our language and try to use more appropriate metaphors. FanLax tries to be relatively family friendly...
Understand your concern and will comply. In my defense, reference not sexual at all as others have suggested. As I wrote in one response, the phrase "jack booted, stomp thrust" was purloined straight from Hunter S. Thompson's book, "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas." Having said that, I read your message Loud & Clear and will comply! Regards.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

GSP wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:28 am
admin wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:35 am
Understand your concern and will comply. In my defense, reference not sexual at all as others have suggested. As I wrote in one response, the phrase "jack booted, stomp thrust" was purloined straight from Hunter S. Thompson's book, "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas." Having said that, I read your message Loud & Clear and will comply! Regards.
Making even more of a fool of yourself with your "Hunter S. Thompson's book" childishness. Pomposity is your trademark...and curse.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”