Ivy League 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Hawkeye

Re: Ivy League 2019

Post by Hawkeye »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:07 pm
Hawkeye wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:25 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:20 pm That’s worked against them at times, but not this year. It looks to me like the Quakers punched their ticket into the NCAAs with the win.
If they take care of business the rest of the regular season, I agree: they are in. AQ or at-large. It doesn't matter.
Nope. One game at a time. Like my current beverage is my favorite, the most important game is the next one.

Keep your your eyes fixed firmly on that, not some hypothetical.
It's not a hypothetical. It's in grasp if they don't **** it up. Penn has a heck of a team this year. Kudos to them.
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Hawkeye wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:09 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:07 pm
Hawkeye wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:25 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:20 pm That’s worked against them at times, but not this year. It looks to me like the Quakers punched their ticket into the NCAAs with the win.
If they take care of business the rest of the regular season, I agree: they are in. AQ or at-large. It doesn't matter.
Nope. One game at a time. Like my current beverage is my favorite, the most important game is the next one.

Keep your your eyes fixed firmly on that, not some hypothetical.
It's not a hypothetical. It's in grasp if they don't **** it up. Penn has a heck of a team this year. Kudos to them.
If they don’t...

Like I said, one at a time.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

Good to see the Quakes close...
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:11 pm If they don’t...

Well yes. If. But do you not agree that Penn currently *controls* (that is not a passive - if - kind of word) their own destiny?
Georgia Tech alumnus
-
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Hawkeye wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:08 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:11 pm If they don’t...

Well yes. If. But do you not agree that Penn currently *controls* (that is not a passive - if - kind of word) their own destiny?
I'm with the coach.

“It’s big, but it’s still March, and we’re playing well,” Murphy conceded. “We beat the No. 1 in the country last year in Duke and we didn’t finish that well. Right now, we’re 5-3 and it’s March 30.”

Killers don't relax. They step on their foes throats. The throwaway on the 4th period man-up was weak. They can and should win out.

Now do it!!

P.S. I remember the '80s -- Killers.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

CU77 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:09 pm
RumorMill wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:44 pm Looking forward to a good slate of games. I'll throw out a few predictions.

Cornell 15 v Dartmouth 5
Only question here is what's the spread?
Nice! Spot on!
RumorMill wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:44 pm Brown 13 v Princeton 12
Brown is ready to bounce back in Ivy play and Princeton is hung over.
Right again! I thought Princeton would win this one easily.
RumorMill wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:44 pm Yale 12 v Penn 10
Rolling the dice on this one. Will be looking forward to what the actual result is.
Very close! Penn in 3OT 13-12, after leading by 3, falling behind by 1, and scoring the tying regulation goal at the buzzer.
RumorMill wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:44 pmSince we won't see it in basketball, here's another one.
UNC 14 v Duke 12
UNC at home keeps Duke on their heels.
Yowza! I would have bet heavily against you on this one, but you're right again!

Thanks CU, Blind squirrel in the forest.

3 OT's, seriously! That's awesome... and crazy! Yale still has a lot of runway in front of them, should make for a fun ILT if they can continue their hard work. And Penn, well, I hope they keep rolling and we get to see some good Ivy play in the NCAA. Interesting weekend coming up.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Competition in the Ivies looks to be stepping up. Penn-Yale 3OT Penn victory was a treat, as was Brown's 2 goal win over Princeton. Even Princeton at 0-3 in league play looks like they have some teeth as evidenced by their win over Denver. Tigers still have a chance to even their Ivy record at 3-3 and I believe the only team with a 3-3 conference record that has missed the ILT to date was last year's Princeton squad. Brown and Harvard look to be improving whereby their upcoming games with Penn and Cornell no longer look like the gimmes they once did for their higher ranked opponents. League doing better recently OOC as well and it wouldn't surprise me to see that trend continue. I like seeing the league get stronger as I think it prepares those teams that work their way to the top to have a better chance come the NCAA tourney.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

Penn missed a few years ago at 3-3 FYI
calourie

Post by calourie »

I appreciate the correction. 3-3 still definitely puts a team in the pool of possible participants.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Yes, 3-3 usually gets in, and "should" get in, with losses to the 3 other teams that are in, and wins over the 3 that are out. It's when it's not so neat that a 3-3 team can be left out. IIRC, the 2 cases mentioned (of a 3-3 team being out) are the only 2, and there are many more cases of 3-3 getting in.
Last edited by CU77 on Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

^^^All true.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Princeton 0-3 in Ivy, on life support for ILT. Close losses to UVa, Hop, Rutgers. Navy win not looking too good. Denver win a ++. Only Cornell left as a chance for a quality win, and BRed may be the #3 team in Ivy. This is year 3 of the Sowers era and it's washing away.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

bearlaxfan wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:04 am Princeton 0-3 in Ivy, on life support for ILT. Close losses to UVa, Hop, Rutgers. Navy win not looking too good. Denver win a ++. Only Cornell left as a chance for a quality win, and BRed may be the #3 team in Ivy. This is year 3 of the Sowers era and it's washing away.
It looks to me like Princeton's best chance at getting in at this point would be if them, Cornell, and Brown end up in a 3-way tie at 3-3. That would be for 3rd-5th.
Georgia Tech alumnus
-
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

I watched the Denver game live stream, and Sowers looked amazing. If Princeton makes it into the ILT, they could win it if they put together the same type of game.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

To have a realistic hope of making the ILT, Princeton needs to beat Dartmouth, Harvard, and beat Cornell in Ithaca. Not impossible, but...
Sowers is fantastic, but his supporting cast seems to have dwindled gradually during his time at Princeton.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

faircornell wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:12 am I watched the Denver game live stream, and Sowers looked amazing. If Princeton makes it into the ILT, they could win it if they put together the same type of game.
He was the best player on the field and it wasn't even close. Two of his goals really made it apparent. The inside spin at the crease when he smoked a defender and the goalie, and the falling away low to high - directly into the corner of the goal - with zero leverage on the shot. He 100% made the difference for Princeton that night.
Georgia Tech alumnus
-
Charlie Don't Surf

Post by Charlie Don't Surf »

I would not rule out Harvard knocking off one of its four remaining Ivy foes. It has won 4 of its last 5, including W's over BU, Providence and Albany. Playing much better than earlier in the year and look more confident with their very young team!
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Charlie Don't Surf wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:12 am I would not rule out Harvard knocking off one of its four remaining Ivy foes. It has won 4 of its last 5, including W's over BU, Providence and Albany. Playing much better than earlier in the year and look more confident with their very young team!
Harvard is a dangerous team.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Harvard has some nice young players on offense (11.78 goals a game) but these guys are all a little too reckless with the ball. The team ranks #68 in turnovers with 20.56 a game and #55 in clearing % at .798. I watched the game against BU and I am still not sure how they won with 32 turnovers. :o

Wojcik has to clean that up or it could get ugly early against defenses like Yale and Penn. We shall see.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

The League (or the Columbia Athletic Department) has started to sell tickets to the 2019 ILT. I recently received a reminder by email.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”