Maryland 2022 National Champions

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Peter Brown

Re: Maryland 2022

Post by Peter Brown »

MDralphie wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:38 pm Peter Peter the Terp unbeliever… Cats are a very good team and will be motivated and well coached, it will not matter. Hard shells will not be cracked. I like the quarter finals against Va. Let’s get it out of the way. Md owes Va. no 7 overtime games, no scoring droughts like ‘11, no goals that aren’t goals, no comebacks… get your tickets, have a seat and enjoy this ride.

What is it with Terp fans wanting to look past Vermont? I’m telling you, the Catamounts think they can win this game. And they can. Their FOGO is going to get lots of possessions for them. And their attack is very very good.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:15 am What is it with Terp fans wanting to look past Vermont? I’m telling you, the Catamounts think they can win this game. And they can. Their FOGO is going to get lots of possessions for them. And their attack is very very good.
Fans can look ahead. The actual team (especially with it's senior leaders) and Tillman will not.

Vermont is a good team. And yes they can beat the Terps. Nearly any tournament team can if the stars line up. But Maryland has been making teams that are much better than Vermont look silly this year. So I don't know why you're so convinced this is such a huge danger for Maryland. This team takes care of its business.

By the way, using Burke's winning percentage against last year's Wierman as a measuring stick for how he's going to do against this year's Wierman is insane. Yes Burke owned him last year in a very small sample size (Wierman went 1-4 last year vs Vermont). But Wierman wasn't good last year; his FO winning percentage was 45.3%. This year he's at 65.4%. Twenty percent higher, and reflective of results against people he was losing against last year. Like in 2021 he was 13-27 against Ohio State & Justin Ignacio but in 2022...20-35. In 2021, he went 14-30 against Pety LaSalla. He went 24-36 in the game this year.

Or more simply put, here's the disparity. In 2021, he had a winning percentage above .500 in ONE game (Michigan where he went 15-25, and I'm not counting his 1-1 performance against Duke). This year, he was over .500 in 12 games - every game except 2 (Phaup in Syracuse and the second Hopkins game). And usually well, well above .500 in those games.

His improvement is absurd - he's like a completely different guy.
MDGrad2012

Post by MDGrad2012 »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:34 pm
Wheels wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:22 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:16 am
jrn19 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:05 am
Peter Brown wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:20 am I think Maryland will have its hands full with Vermont.

Start at face off. Last spring, Burke didn’t do well against Shockey, but he did do well against Weirman. And when Maryland doesn’t control the ball…

Vermont’s attack is seasoned. They have the smarts to figure out holes on a defense.

Their goalie Cornel might be the best goalie Maryland has seen this year.

A Bernhardt is on their sideline.

Feifs is not only an ex-FO coach, he’s a Maryland grad.

I’d be wary if I were Maryland here.
This is everything that was said last year and Maryland won by like…8?
6. though maryland had gotten it up to 8 late after vermont had closed to 5 early 4th.

mounts aren't challenging with 20+ turnovers and getting out gb'd. it starts there. getting 18 shots on cage won't cut it. they'll have to play fast without turning it over and that's only if they can get the ball.

even with all the ivies, this 2022 is maryland's tournament. the focus is on them to finish this season. odds are they will imo, but it's sports.
2022 Opponent-Adjusted Metrics (per LaxRef)
Offense 43.3% (1st)
Defense 23.1% (2nd)
Face-off 66.6% (1st)
Goaltending 54.1% (15th)
Possessions +10 (1st)
Wierman 65.4% ELO 1673 (4th)
Burke 62.4% ELO 1635 (16th)

2021 Opponent-Adjusted Metrics (per LaxRef)
Offense 40.3% (2nd)
Defense 24.5% (6th)
Face-off 51.9% (27th)
Goaltending: There's an input data error so it's not computing 2021
Possessions +4 (16th)
Wierman 45.2%; ELO 1631 (23rd)
Burke 68.9% ELO 1662 (10th)

I’m certainly not betting my house on Vermont winning.
BUT

But you need to see what Burke did against Weirman when they went head to head. Occasionally, one FO guy just owns another FO guy, even if their season statistics wouldn’t suggest it ahead of time. In this instance, Burke is a big kid; Tygh might be a better choice for Maryland if the first five look bad for Weirman. If Weirman does well on the first five, so be it.

Vermont won’t run and gun. If anything, they’ll look to play nearly the full shot clock each possession; their seniors are smart and will take smart shots.

Jared Bernhardt single-handedly made sure his team wasn’t going to lose last year. That was Shockey’s best game; with all those extra possessions, Maryland should have won by much more.

Like I said, Maryland better be prepared for this matchup with Vermont. It’s no gimme by any stretch.
"But you need to see what Burke did against Weirman when they went head to head." Dude he went 3/4. This is the most amazing case of small sample size theatre I have ever seen. Every single one of your posts has featured this idea that Vermont is going to dominate possession due to their obvious advantage at the FO. It is possible they will, but the evidence isn't exactly conclusive. 4 draws a year ago.

Wierman has flipped against guys who beat him last year in LaSalla and Inacio
Against Inacio last year: 7/20 and 13/27
Against Inacio this year: 10/15 (20/35 overall)

Against LaSalla last year: 14/30
Against LaSalla this year: 13/18 (24/36 overall)

A lot more data in those matchups from last year than in the matchup against Burke. I think Vermont is a very good team and a tough first round matchup for a 1 seed. But you clearly have decided it is going one way in terms of FOs, despite extremely limited evidence. The worst Luke has done this year is 45% against JHU. Do you really think Maryland will do worse than that against UVM (especially with Maryland's superior wing play)? Will 55% be enough for Vermont? Maybe you are right, but I don't think it is absurd for Maryland fans to be confident in their team again UVM.

Also... the FO highlights from that game are available online, since I just HAVE TO SEE WHAT BURKE DID AGAINS WIERMAN. They were literally the last 4 FOs of the game (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i37x-qgAIgo).

FO 1: Wierman wins it cleanly, pushes it forward, and scores
FO 2: A battle at the X. Ball pops up, ends up out of bounds. Refs determine it came off of Maryland
FO 3: Burke wins cleanly, pushes it forward, and scores
FO 4: Wierman wins the clamp, pops it to a UVM player

Hardly the dominance you described. You might notice this is my first post. I created my account because of how egregiously wrong you were. Congratulations.
MDGrad2012

Post by MDGrad2012 »

PulpExposure wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:16 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:15 am What is it with Terp fans wanting to look past Vermont? I’m telling you, the Catamounts think they can win this game. And they can. Their FOGO is going to get lots of possessions for them. And their attack is very very good.
Fans can look ahead. The actual team (especially with it's senior leaders) and Tillman will not.

Vermont is a good team. And yes they can beat the Terps. Nearly any tournament team can if the stars line up. But Maryland has been making teams that are much better than Vermont look silly this year. So I don't know why you're so convinced this is such a huge danger for Maryland. This team takes care of its business.

By the way, using Burke's winning percentage against last year's Wierman as a measuring stick for how he's going to do against this year's Wierman is insane. Yes Burke owned him last year in a very small sample size (Wierman went 1-4 last year vs Vermont). But Wierman wasn't good last year; his FO winning percentage was 45.3%. This year he's at 65.4%. Twenty percent higher, and reflective of results against people he was losing against last year. Like in 2021 he was 13-27 against Ohio State & Justin Ignacio but in 2022...20-35. In 2021, he went 14-30 against Pety LaSalla. He went 24-36 in the game this year.

Or more simply put, here's the disparity. In 2021, he had a winning percentage above .500 in ONE game (Michigan where he went 15-25, and I'm not counting his 1-1 performance against Duke). This year, he was over .500 in 12 games - every game except 2 (Phaup in Syracuse and the second Hopkins game). And usually well, well above .500 in those games.

His improvement is absurd - he's like a completely different guy.
Ha you posted this as I was composing my post! :D
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDGrad2012 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:29 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:20 am I think Maryland will have its hands full with Vermont.

Start at face off. Last spring, Burke didn’t do well against Shockey, but he did do well against Weirman. And when Maryland doesn’t control the ball…

Vermont’s attack is seasoned. They have the smarts to figure out holes on a defense.

6. though maryland had gotten it up to 8 late after vermont had closed to 5 early 4th.

mounts aren't challenging with 20+ turnovers and getting out gb'd. it starts there. getting 18 shots on cage won't cut it. they'll have to play fast without turning it over and that's only if they can get the ball.

even with all the ivies, this 2022 is maryland's tournament. the focus is on them to finish this season. odds are they will imo, but it's sports.
Offense 43.3% (1st)
Defense 23.1% (2nd)
Face-off 66.6% (1st)
Goaltending 54.1% (15th)
Possessions +10 (1st)

Offense 40.3% (2nd)
Defense 24.5% (6th)
Face-off 51.9% (27th)
Possessions +4 (16th)

BUT

But you need to see what Burke did against Weirman when they went head to head. Occasionally, one FO guy just owns another FO guy, even if their season statistics wouldn’t suggest it ahead of time. In this instance, Burke is a big kid; Tygh might be a better choice for Maryland if the first five look bad for Weirman. If Weirman does well on the first five, so be it.

Vermont won’t run and gun. If anything, they’ll look to play nearly the full shot clock each possession; their seniors are smart and will take smart shots.

Jared Bernhardt single-handedly made sure his team wasn’t going to lose last year. That was Shockey’s best game; with all those extra possessions, Maryland should have won by much more.

Like I said, Maryland better be prepared for this matchup with Vermont. It’s no gimme by any stretch.
"But you need to see what Burke did against Weirman when they went head to head." Dude he went 3/4. This is the most amazing case of small sample size theatre I have ever seen. Every single one of your posts has featured this idea that Vermont is going to dominate possession due to their obvious advantage at the FO. It is possible they will, but the evidence isn't exactly conclusive. 4 draws a year ago.

A lot more data in those matchups from last year than in the matchup against Burke. I think Vermont is a very good team and a tough first round matchup for a 1 seed. But you clearly have decided it is going one way in terms of FOs, despite extremely limited evidence. The worst Luke has done this year is 45% against JHU. Do you really think Maryland will do worse than that against UVM (especially with Maryland's superior wing play)? Will 55% be enough for Vermont? Maybe you are right, but I don't think it is absurd for Maryland fans to be confident in their team again UVM.

Also... the FO highlights from that game are available online, since I just HAVE TO SEE WHAT BURKE DID AGAINS WIERMAN. They were literally the last 4 FOs of the game (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i37x-qgAIgo).

FO 2: A battle at the X. Ball pops up, ends up out of bounds. Refs determine it came off of Maryland

Hardly the dominance you described. You might notice this is my first post. I created my account because of how egregiously wrong you were. Congratulations.

I actually haven’t said ‘Weirman is going to get owned by Burke’. I was pointing out how absurd it was for Terp fans to talk about a hypothetical quarter against UVA when they’ve got a very good UVM team to play first. That same UVM team gave the Terps fits last year, with Bernhardt playing out of his mind to get that win, and Weirman not faring too great against Burke.

Karma has its way. If you disrespect the opponent in front of you today, by casually discussing the next round as if this one is an afterthought, don’t be too shocked when you never get to play that next round.

And BTW, I’m rooting for the Terps to go all the way this year. Tills is a great guy and deserves the love.

Just don’t like the smug attitude when disrespecting UVM.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:37 pm

Offense 43.3% (1st)
Defense 23.1% (2nd)
Face-off 66.6% (1st)
Goaltending 54.1% (15th)
Possessions +10 (1st)

Offense 40.3% (2nd)
Defense 24.5% (6th)
Face-off 51.9% (27th)
Possessions +4 (16th)

BUT

I actually haven’t said ‘Weirman is going to get owned by Burke’. I was pointing out how absurd it was for Terp fans to talk about a hypothetical quarter against UVA when they’ve got a very good UVM team to play first. That same UVM team gave the Terps fits last year, with Bernhardt playing out of his mind to get that win, and Weirman not faring too great against Burke.

Karma has its way. If you disrespect the opponent in front of you today, by casually discussing the next round as if this one is an afterthought, don’t be too shocked when you never get to play that next round.

And BTW, I’m rooting for the Terps to go all the way this year. Tills is a great guy and deserves the love.

You realize that the people posting here are not Terps players or coaches? Nobody here is playing this round or next, and their posts have zero impact on the game's outcome. Do you have any evidence of any Terp player or coach disrespecting Vermont?
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:37 pm Karma has its way. If you disrespect the opponent in front of you today, by casually discussing the next round as if this one is an afterthought, don’t be too shocked when you never get to play that next round.

Uh...we are fans. What we are thinking or whatever has nothing to do with how the kids and coaches act. Like if we're "smug"...do you honestly think Tills or this senior/grad laden team is?

Come on. And it's not smug to say Maryland has beaten better teams than Vermont this year. They're 14-0. They've beaten everyone they faced, usually by a lot. Vermont is another capable team - but they're not scarier than Virginia, Notre Dame, Rutgers, Princeton, etc., who Maryland has already faced, and already beaten.

Or is it your position that Vermont was grossly underestimated all year and should be a top 3 school, ranked ahead of any of those?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

keno in reno wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:02 pm

Offense 43.3% (1st)
Defense 23.1% (2nd)
Face-off 66.6% (1st)
Goaltending 54.1% (15th)
Possessions +10 (1st)

Offense 40.3% (2nd)
Defense 24.5% (6th)
Face-off 51.9% (27th)
Possessions +4 (16th)

BUT

You realize that the people posting here are not Terps players or coaches? Nobody here is playing this round or next, and their posts have zero impact on the game's outcome. Do you have any evidence of any Terp player or coach disrespecting Vermont?

I wasn’t referring to the players or coaches, just the posters. Karma, man. Geez.

“Realize that everything connects to everything else.” —Leonardo da Vinci
MDGrad2012

Post by MDGrad2012 »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:06 pm
keno in reno wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:02 pm

Offense 43.3% (1st)
Defense 23.1% (2nd)
Face-off 66.6% (1st)
Goaltending 54.1% (15th)
Possessions +10 (1st)

Offense 40.3% (2nd)
Defense 24.5% (6th)
Face-off 51.9% (27th)
Possessions +4 (16th)

BUT

I wasn’t referring to the players or coaches, just the posters. Karma, man. Geez.

“Realize that everything connects to everything else.” —Leonardo da Vinci
I am sorry dude, but no. It is not "smug" or "disrespectful" to look ahead at a quarterfinal matchup! It is what FANS do. Tillman and the players, as most people here have repeatedly mentioned, are definitely not looking ahead. If they look ahead, and they get caught by a good Vermont team, that is on them. Or if Vermont plays a perfect game and catches them, so be it! But it won't be because of "Karma" from a couple of fans on here looking at the bracket and seeing a national championship rematch with Virginia in the quarterfinals and then discussing it. If that is deserving of a Karmic response then man the universe is really weird. Was it "smug" last year to discuss the potential of going on the road to ND in the quarters when the bracket was announced? Was it "smug" of Quint to immediately recognize that the storyline in the top quadrant of the bracket this year was the potential of MD vs UVA? Is it "smug" to fill out a bracket? What an insane (and completely joyless) standard to have for fans.

Multiple people on here have said UVM is a good team. You have made up a weird story of disrespect that just is not there. And your take on Wierman is just strange and not grounded in the facts. Putting aside the fact that Wierman is a different player this year, there is nothing in the matchup from last year to suggest Burke has any advantage at all. In the four FOs: Luke won one cleanly, one was a toss up that went out of bounds, he lost one cleanly, and the final one he won the clamp and lost it due to wing play.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Honestly hearing this from Terps fans is refreshing. Most Terps fans are totally snake-bit (i.e. Mr. Brown).
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

when the hoos meet the terps next weekend, i expect a completely different game. especially if uva can win more faceoffs, ride and clear better, improve their shooting and covering up the terps' threats. and if healthier.

Post by 1766 »

You forgot coach better, run faster, and play harder.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

wgdsr wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:11 pm when the hoos meet the terps next weekend, i expect a completely different game. especially if uva can win more faceoffs, ride and clear better, improve their shooting and covering up the terps' threats. and if healthier.

Jesus
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

If UVA can indeed play better in every single facet of lacrosse, the game will be closer, yes
Last edited by jrn19 on Fri May 13, 2022 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Offense 43.3% (1st)
Defense 23.1% (2nd)
Face-off 66.6% (1st)
Goaltending 54.1% (15th)
Possessions +10 (1st)

Offense 40.3% (2nd)
Defense 24.5% (6th)
Face-off 51.9% (27th)
Possessions +4 (16th)

BUT

"A UVM team that gave them fits last year"

Maryland led Vermont 5-2 after 1Q, 8-4 after HT, 11-5 after 3Q, and was up 16-8 in the 4Q before pulling their starters and Vermont closed it to...6. After the first quarter, Vermont was never within 3 goals for the entire game.

What the hell are you talking about
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

wgdsr wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:11 pm when the hoos meet the terps next weekend, i expect a completely different game. especially if uva can win more faceoffs, ride and clear better, improve their shooting and covering up the terps' threats. and if healthier.
Now you've done it. You broke the cardinal rule of looking ahead of the next game!! Karma is coming for you and the Wahoos, wgdsr.
MDGrad2012

Post by MDGrad2012 »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:48 pm
Now you've done it. You broke the cardinal rule of looking ahead of the next game!! Karma is coming for you and the Wahoos, wgdsr.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nbCOAPR33ME
MDralphie

Post by MDralphie »

Certainly no disrespect for Vermont. Two MD grads on their sideline who were excellent players for the Terps, will have them ready. It will not matter. Maryland is better. Terps are superbly coached. Luke W will have a very good game. The O will be humming. The D will be as good as it has been all year, stifling. I do look forward to Va but will be rooting for a ball off the pipe to be ruled a goal for BROWN. I expect a Natty but I’m just a fan
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

So,

NCAAs, since 1971,

no number one has lost its opening round game,

I see no reason why this year will be different.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

MDGrad2012 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:12 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:48 pm
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nbCOAPR33ME
Sing it, Thom.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”