Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Dr. Tact

Re: Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

Post by Dr. Tact »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:05 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:41 am
crazyhorse wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:27 am ...are now slim. Looks like RPI dropped from 7 to 10 and SOS is 30. They do still have 3 top 20 wins vs UConn, OSU, and Michigan. Offsetting that a bit, the loss to Colorado counts as a significant loss (RPI>20), and is something the other seed contenders don't have. Loyola should be feeling much better about their chances.
Good news for Loyola, which now has to hold serve. Hounds play Navy tonight at 7:00, ESPN+. Navy should, in light of recent events, be pretty up for the match.
I hope that the GOAT gets the Hounds prepared for a trap game. Navy is never an easy game. Cindy (also a GOAT) is a force on the sidelines (watch her antics tonight) :D

I'll be there tonight on the top of Balmer with 45 degrees and 20 mph gusts. BRRR, spring sport :roll:
Cindy was reserved today . Didnt see her on the field much. Was 52 degrees with calm winds. Only 5 layers 8-)
watcherinthewoods

Transfer Portal

Post by watcherinthewoods »

If you think this is not going on in all sports, think again:

https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-tech ... yyYLOr2aa0

(apologies if this is a duplicate thread ... i swore there was a "transfer portal" topic, but could not find it)
Justalaxdad

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by Justalaxdad »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:17 am If you think this is not going on in all sports, think again:

https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-tech ... yyYLOr2aa0

(apologies if this is a duplicate thread ... i swore there was a "transfer portal" topic, but could not find it)
Football and Basketball are the obvious ones it's going on in, everyone knows that. In non-revenue sports like lacrosse it probably goes on but not with the NIL money. Not many lax players are going to generate (significant) NIL money just yet. There a couple that could get a few bucks but that's a very small percentage. In lax it's more likely just tampering via communication before the season is over type thing.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:45 pm
crazyhorse wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:27 am ...are now slim. Looks like RPI dropped from 7 to 10 and SOS is 30. They do still have 3 top 20 wins vs UConn, OSU, and Michigan. Offsetting that a bit, the loss to Colorado counts as a significant loss (RPI>20), and is something the other seed contenders don't have. Loyola should be feeling much better about their chances.
Good news for Loyola, which now has to hold serve. Hounds play Navy tonight at 7:00, ESPN+. Navy should, in light of recent events, be pretty up for the match.
I hope that the GOAT gets the Hounds prepared for a trap game. Navy is never an easy game. Cindy (also a GOAT) is a force on the sidelines (watch her antics tonight) :D

I'll be there tonight on the top of Balmer with 45 degrees and 20 mph gusts. BRRR, spring sport :roll:
Cindy was reserved today . Didnt see her on the field much. Was 52 degrees with calm winds. Only 5 layers 8-)
Couldn’t find the original thread Re Hormes breaking the single season record for goals :) here’s a nice article about a kid who could have transferred 5th year but wanted to stay with her school!

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... oals-queen
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Laxfan500 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:49 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:45 pm

Couldn’t find the original thread Re Hormes breaking the single season record for goals :) here’s a nice article about a kid who could have transferred 5th year but wanted to stay with her school!

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... oals-queen
Thank you for posting this - unfortunately this kid will never get the recognition that she deserves. There should be a separate thread recognizing her as the record holder.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

UNC-Charlotte to add womens lacrosse to start play in 2024-25 school year, will join AAC

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... a171nqtxjI
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:07 pm UNC-Charlotte to add womens lacrosse to start play in 2024-25 school year, will join AAC

Really hoping this spurs Wake to get off its butt and add women's lacrosse already.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

cltlax wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:28 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:07 pm UNC-Charlotte to add womens lacrosse to start play in 2024-25 school year, will join AAC

Really hoping this spurs Wake to get off its butt and add women's lacrosse already.
Going to be tough at Wake Forest because of its size. What Men's Sport would they cut?

Joe
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:26 pm

Going to be tough at Wake Forest because of its size. What Men's Sport would they cut?

Joe

Joe, do you know for a fact that they would have to cut a Men's Sport? It's never a good thing to put THAT particular information out unless you have proof. In this day and time, you should know exactly why that is.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

As an alum, I can report that the athletic dept. has said they will not add lacrosse until they have funding for both men’s and women’s. The AD I was speaking with gave me the number … including a new facility. It was a couple of years ago, but the figure that sticks in my mind was $20m+. Am I misremembering? Seems like a a lot, but still no lax.

I do know for sure the dept is very focused right now on endowing all HC positions.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:06 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:26 pm

Joe

Joe, do you know for a fact that they would have to cut a Men's Sport? It's never a good thing to put THAT particular information out unless you have proof. In this day and time, you should know exactly why that is.
Larry,

What I mean that the Men's Sports and Women's have to strive to maintain equal teams if possible. So just adding a Women's team is not possible due to the budgetary constraints, which would only be somewhat relieved by cutting a Men's Sport. Not a single bit of actual information of this being the case, so don't worry there. Wake is just not a good candidate simply due to the size of the school and they have many strong Men's teams they would never consider dropping to add's Women's Lacrosse. I would love to see it just as much as you, but Georgia Tech is the much better candidate to add WLax in the ACC, IMO.

Joe
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

JoeMauer89,

I have a friend who is a Wake Alum. She played FH there and I think she would like to see them get a Lax team. I'll see if I can get her to wax eloquently on this topic.
I know that what you stated is correct in some cases, but not always. New programs have been started without any cuts to other programs. There have also been programs cut that had nothing to do
with adding new programs. The easy out is always to say that they cut a Men's program to bring in a Woman's program. And that's when the resentment starts.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:09 pm JoeMauer89,

I have a friend who is a Wake Alum. She played FH there and I think she would like to see them get a Lax team. I'll see if I can get her to wax eloquently on this topic.
I know that what you stated is correct in some cases, but not always. New programs have been started without any cuts to other programs. There have also been programs cut that had nothing to do
with adding new programs. The easy out is always to say that they cut a Men's program to bring in a Woman's program. And that's when the resentment starts.
I agree regarding that last point, wholeheartedly! Let's hope that your friend can bring us some insight on the potential for it to happen at Wake Forest. Such a great school!

Joe
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:50 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:09 pm JoeMauer89,

I agree regarding that last point, wholeheartedly! Let's hope that your friend can bring us some insight on the potential for it to happen at Wake Forest. Such a great school!

Joe

watcherinthewoods....did answer the question and provide insight. :)
OuttaNowhereWregget

A Tale of Three Schedules

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Virginia, Duke and Notre Dame. There's a Goldilocks and the Three Bears element here. Too hard, too soft, just right. We know Duke's out of conference was too soft, Virginia's was too hard, and Notre Dame's was kind of just right--a mix of easy and difficult. Yet the result for all three teams when it came to the NCAA's was relatively the same. Early exits for all three. You either have a great team or you don't. The part of the schedule a team has control over doesn't ultimately help once they get to the big dance. Earlier in the year there was kvetching that Duke was gaining an unfair advantage due to their cupcake OOC. In the end there was no advantage. They weren't granted a seed and were unceremoniously dumped by the Terps 19-6 (ouch) in the 2nd round. Virginia? Thoroughly ripped apart by the Tar Heels 24-2 (bigger ouch) in the 2nd round. Notre Dame? Didn't make it out of the first round in losing for the 2nd time in '22 to Michigan by a fairly comfortable margin.

Each team had very impressive wins this season but each big win ended up being the exception and not indicative of what kind of team each was in the end. Coaching? Team culture? I don't know. But I do know that none of these teams has been considered a real threat to win it all for quite some time now; and their schedules haven't had anything to do with it.
urgettingwhatuaxed4

Post by urgettingwhatuaxed4 »

Let’s pump the brakes ONW.

These teams did not have an early exit, they left the tournament where they should have left the tournament.
Duke beat Hopkins, like they should have and lost to Maryland, like they should have.
Notre Dame / Michigan was a toss-up and either team could have deepening on the direction of the wind.
Virginia / USC teams ranking around each other all year and could have gone either way as well. Virginia wins, gets killed by UNC. Did anyone expect something different?

The final eight, being played on a Thursday another stupid decision, is chalk.

Women’s lacrosse are the haves and have nots. The top 4-6 have it all.

The bottom half of the BigTen or ACC would finish 1st or 2nd win most other conferences without a doubt.

Sure, I would have liked to see Arizona State in the event, but they would have fared no different than Hopkins, ND, USC, UConn, UMass or Duke, UM, and UVA.

No team is considered a threat to win other than UNC and maybe BC. Any other team would be a huge upset and great for the game, but not going to happen. UNC seems focused and determined this year.

If they haven’t already made their offseason vacation plans.
Kleizaster

Re: A Tale of Three Schedules

Post by Kleizaster »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:47 am Virginia, Duke and Notre Dame. There's a Goldilocks and the Three Bears element here. Too hard, too soft, just right. We know Duke's out of conference was too soft, Virginia's was too hard, and Notre Dame's was kind of just right--a mix of easy and difficult. Yet the result for all three teams when it came to the NCAA's was relatively the same. Early exits for all three. You either have a great team or you don't. The part of the schedule a team has control over doesn't ultimately help once they get to the big dance. Earlier in the year there was kvetching that Duke was gaining an unfair advantage due to their cupcake OOC. In the end there was no advantage. They weren't granted a seed and were unceremoniously dumped by the Terps 19-6 (ouch) in the 2nd round. Virginia? Thoroughly ripped apart by the Tar Heels 24-2 (bigger ouch) in the 2nd round. Notre Dame? Didn't make it out of the first round in losing for the 2nd time in '22 to Michigan by a fairly comfortable margin.

Each team had very impressive wins this season but each big win ended up being the exception and not indicative of what kind of team each was in the end. Coaching? Team culture? I don't know. But I do know that none of these teams has been considered a real threat to win it all for quite some time now; and their schedules haven't had anything to do with it.
pretty much. Although ND and VA did show a little fight to bump themselves into the tournament. But you need more than that to even have a shot against another tournament team. DUKE's schedule def. ended up hurting them more than helping. Down the stretch they forgot how to play lax when facing back to back high level comp
OuttaNowhereWregget

urgettingwhatuaxed4 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:36 am Let’s pump the brakes ONW.

As an aside--I detest that cliche.

These teams did not have an early exit, they left the tournament where they should have left the tournament.

By early I mean in the early rounds, as opposed to later rounds.

Duke beat Hopkins, like they should have and lost to Maryland, like they should have.

I take issue with the word "like". In my mind, after all we heard about how high powered the vaunted Duke offense was, to squeak out just 6 goals in a 13 goal margin running clock smackdown vs Maryland does not fit under the "like they should have" umbrella for me. Duke was a pretender in the end. All their lofty offensive (Ha! Inadvertent pun intended) numbers disappeared when they faced a tough team on their game.

Notre Dame / Michigan was a toss-up and either team could have deepening on the direction of the wind.
Virginia / USC teams ranking around each other all year and could have gone either way as well. Virginia wins, gets killed by UNC. Did anyone expect something different?

Something different than a 22 goal margin running-clock-twice-over massacre? Yes--I think others expected something different than that embarrassment.

That's the joint decision of the NCAA and ESPNU so the women don't clash with the men.

The bottom half of the BigTen or ACC would finish 1st or 2nd win most other conferences without a doubt.

Not completely sure about this. Penn State? Louisville? Most other conferences? Nah.

Sure, I would have liked to see Arizona State in the event, but they would have fared no different than Hopkins, ND, USC, UConn, UMass or Duke, UM, and UVA.

Completely disagree here. Arizona State was a scrappy, hard working, aggressive bunch and would have had a very good chance to beat UVA, Princeton, Michigan, JMU and/or Duke.

No team is considered a threat to win other than UNC and maybe BC. Any other team would be a huge upset and great for the game, but not going to happen. UNC seems focused and determined this year.

You're overlooking Maryland. Cathy Reese as head coach alone should include the Turtles in this group.

They haven't won anything yet. Plans for the powder blue parade are premature and foolhardy given this teams history of choking in the NCAA's.
Good post. Lots of interesting observations and points, axed4. 👍
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: A Tale of Three Schedules

Kleizaster wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:42 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:47 am Virginia, Duke and Notre Dame. There's a Goldilocks and the Three Bears element here. Too hard, too soft, just right. We know Duke's out of conference was too soft, Virginia's was too hard, and Notre Dame's was kind of just right--a mix of easy and difficult. Yet the result for all three teams when it came to the NCAA's was relatively the same. Early exits for all three. You either have a great team or you don't. The part of the schedule a team has control over doesn't ultimately help once they get to the big dance. Earlier in the year there was kvetching that Duke was gaining an unfair advantage due to their cupcake OOC. In the end there was no advantage. They weren't granted a seed and were unceremoniously dumped by the Terps 19-6 (ouch) in the 2nd round. Virginia? Thoroughly ripped apart by the Tar Heels 24-2 (bigger ouch) in the 2nd round. Notre Dame? Didn't make it out of the first round in losing for the 2nd time in '22 to Michigan by a fairly comfortable margin.

pretty much. Although ND and VA did show a little fight to bump themselves into the tournament. But you need more than that to even have a shot against another tournament team. DUKE's schedule def. ended up hurting them more than helping. Down the stretch they forgot how to play lax when facing back to back high level comp
Agreed on the whole--though you have to give them credit for knocking off BC, injured Charlotte North or not.
Everyonesgotone

Post by Everyonesgotone »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:09 am
urgettingwhatuaxed4 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:36 am Let’s pump the brakes ONW.

As an aside--I detest that cliche.

By early I mean in the early rounds, as opposed to later rounds.

I take issue with the word "like". In my mind, after all we heard about how high powered the vaunted Duke offense was, to squeak out just 6 goals in a 13 goal margin running clock smackdown vs Maryland does not fit under the "like they should have" umbrella for me. Duke was a pretender in the end. All their lofty offensive (Ha! Inadvertent pun intended) numbers disappeared when they faced a tough team on their game.

Something different than a 22 goal margin running-clock-twice-over massacre? Yes--I think others expected something different than that embarrassment.

That's the joint decision of the NCAA and ESPNU so the women don't clash with the men.

Not completely sure about this. Penn State? Louisville? Most other conferences? Nah.

Completely disagree here. Arizona State was a scrappy, hard working, aggressive bunch and would have had a very good chance to beat UVA, Princeton, Michigan, JMU and/or Duke.

You're overlooking Maryland. Cathy Reese as head coach alone should include the Turtles in this group.

They haven't won anything yet. Plans for the powder blue parade are premature and foolhardy given this teams history of choking in the NCAA's.
Good post. Lots of interesting observations and points, axed4. 👍

Completely disagree here. Arizona State was a scrappy, hard working, aggressive bunch and would have had a very good chance to beat UVA, Princeton, Michigan, JMU and/or Duke

Thanks for your opinion on ASU. The sad thing is that we will never know. I can tell you that the entire selection process crushed this team. All of the analysts said they were in. ESPN was on site to televise the reaction and had them in the pre show hype. The NCAA committee likely chose to ether cheap out or to be blind to the obvious. You are correct that this Sun Devil team is a scrappy, hard working and aggressive bunch. It’s a shame that they didn’t have a chance to prove it and be rewarded for their effort. So much for growing the game.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”