Ivy League 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
FannOLax

Re: Ivy League 2022

Post by FannOLax »

faircornell wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:31 pm 7-0 OOC! Wow. The fight for an ILT place will be challenging.

Brown and Princeton look much better than the early season predictions suggested. Yale seems to still be finding it's feet. Cornell and Penn are strong as generally predicted. Harvard seems reinvigorated. Dartmouth is improving.

Andy Shay seems to have a talent for getting his teams to peak around Ivy Tournament time. It'll be a greater challenge than usual to get in.
Pretty much every weekend from mid-February to mid-March we had posts like the above. Little did we know how deeply upsetting thse victories, combind with Cuse, Duke, Unc and ND losses, would end up disturbing the bobo-clown announcers. Now it's May and the Ivy absolutely deserves to have more teams than ever at the dance. The stakes are higher now: let's win, win WIN!
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Princeton game is Anish/Quint. Quint is naming some of the broadcast teams on his podcast.
Yale game Cotter/Carc.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

I sure hope there are no QuACkers for Cornell/OSU!

Though I highly recommend Barry and Tom on WHCU. Usually behind the broadcast by a minute or so, so you have to make an effort to sync them up by pausing the video.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

CU77 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:57 pm I sure hope there are no QuACkers for Cornell/OSU!

Though I highly recommend Barry and Tom on WHCU. Usually behind the broadcast by a minute or so, so you have to make an effort to sync them up by pausing the video.
Well you know they're travelling to do games both days, so...
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Just to add salt to the wounds, FOY in his final Top20 has Notre Dame 4th.

Wow, Notre Dame out has just about rendered the entire Lax community of journalists into a bunch of blithering, bunch of infants who need to hide under Mama's skirt.

Can these idiots embarrass themselves anymore than they already have?

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
calourie

Post by calourie »

joewillie78 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:43 pm Just to add salt to the wounds, FOY in his final Top20 has Notre Dame 4th.

Wow, Notre Dame out has just about rendered the entire Lax community of journalists into a bunch of blithering, bunch of infants who need to hide under Mama's skirt.

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Foy often does his podcasts with Nick Ossello, ex Notre Dame player and unabashed Irish rooter who can't abde with the concept of the Domers not getting into the tourney. Apparently you CAN judge a man by the company he keeps. Irish at #4 is dumber than them being left out of the tourney.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

joewillie78 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:43 pm Just to add salt to the wounds, FOY in his final Top20 has Notre Dame 4th.

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
STUNNING lack of reason.
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Terry Foy’s Top 20 article is actually very reasonable. He’s echoing the same things we as Ivy fans are saying at the beginning of his article. In fact, he sounds like the anti-QAC until he gets to the Notre Dame ranking. Frankly I don’t have a huge issue with his ranking them where he does - it’s his opinion, he’s entitled to it, and it’s his column.

What I have noticed with Foy is his initial takes or reactions are highly influenced by others. When Quint tweeted the whole “Ivy is 11-1 in 1-goal games” statement, Foy immediately made a big deal of it in his subsequent Bracketology. Of course FanLax went nuts. Then a couple of days later he tempered his stance significantly, saying the Ivies were all deserving of their rankings (Quint did too actually). Same thing happened after the selection show - Foy was back to acting a fool, I think due to getting caught up in the moment, and losing his objectivity. I think QAC (Anish in particular) heavily influenced him. His last top 20 article shows he’s capable of deeper and more reasoned analysis… but the initial reaction is not a good look.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Apparently on top of mushroom stamping the ACCs forehead this year the Duke players had to listen to a commencement speech stolen from one almost a decade ago from a Harvard speech.

Harvard is just p’owning Duke this Spring!
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Wed May 11, 2022 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:03 pm Terry Foy’s Top 20 article is actually very reasonable. He’s echoing the same things we as Ivy fans are saying at the beginning of his article. In fact, he sounds like the anti-QAC until he gets to the Notre Dame ranking. Frankly I don’t have a huge issue with his ranking them where he does - it’s his opinion, he’s entitled to it, and it’s his column.

What I have noticed with Foy is his initial takes or reactions are highly influenced by others. When Quint tweeted the whole “Ivy is 11-1 in 1-goal games” statement, Foy immediately made a big deal of it in his subsequent Bracketology. Of course FanLax went nuts. Then a couple of days later he tempered his stance significantly, saying the Ivies were all deserving of their rankings (Quint did too actually). Same thing happened after the selection show - Foy was back to acting a fool, I think due to getting caught up in the moment, and losing his objectivity. I think QAC (Anish in particular) heavily influenced him. His last top 20 article shows he’s capable of deeper and more reasoned analysis… but the initial reaction is not a good look.
You don't think that his ranking of a team NOT in the Dance was just his way to stick it to:
1. Woodruff and her committee
2. The IVY League
3. The FANS of Ivy League teams

I would have been a little more inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt, if he had ranked the Irish, say 10th, but to rank them as the 4th BEST TEAM in the Nation sure appears to be his way to take another gratuitous shot at the above list.

I guess I'm less forgiving than you MT.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

joewillie78 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:07 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:03 pm Terry Foy’s Top 20 article is actually very reasonable. He’s echoing the same things we as Ivy fans are saying at the beginning of his article. In fact, he sounds like the anti-QAC until he gets to the Notre Dame ranking. Frankly I don’t have a huge issue with his ranking them where he does - it’s his opinion, he’s entitled to it, and it’s his column.

You don't think that his ranking of a team NOT in the Dance was just his way to stick it to:
2. The IVY League

I would have been a little more inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt, if he had ranked the Irish, say 10th, but to rank them as the 4th BEST TEAM in the Nation sure appears to be his way to take another gratuitous shot at the above list.

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
It might be stubborness, for sure. But it is consistent. He ranked them 4th last week, and they won. If you haven’t read the article before the ranking, really recommend you do. A couple of excerpts:
B. The data was (and will remain, as long as the current process is in place) fungible enough that Notre Dame’s exclusion didn’t shock me.
F. The reason the bad process hasn’t elicited the reaction in prior years that it has this year is not because the snubs were less egregious (except, again, in Duke’s case, but far fewer people are rending their garments for the Blue Devils), it’s because the teams being victimized were the ones that are supposed to be victimized.

I feel like the Joker making this point. “Nobody panics when things go 'according to plan' ...even if the plan is horrfying. If tomorrow I told #LaxTwittter that, like, No. 11 RPI Bucknell gets snubbed, or Hopkins gets in over a Rutgers team that beat them twice, nobody panics, because it's all part of the plan. But when I say that one little old Notre Dame gets snubbed… [voice rises hysterically] well, then everyone loses their minds!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:18 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:07 pm

2. The IVY League

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
It might be stubborness, for sure. But it is consistent. He ranked them 4th last week, and they won. If you haven’t read the article before the ranking, really recommend you do. A couple of excerpts:
B. The data was (and will remain, as long as the current process is in place) fungible enough that Notre Dame’s exclusion didn’t shock me.
F. The reason the bad process hasn’t elicited the reaction in prior years that it has this year is not because the snubs were less egregious (except, again, in Duke’s case, but far fewer people are rending their garments for the Blue Devils), it’s because the teams being victimized were the ones that are supposed to be victimized.

I feel like the Joker making this point. “Nobody panics when things go 'according to plan' ...even if the plan is horrfying. If tomorrow I told #LaxTwittter that, like, No. 11 RPI Bucknell gets snubbed, or Hopkins gets in over a Rutgers team that beat them twice, nobody panics, because it's all part of the plan. But when I say that one little old Notre Dame gets snubbed… [voice rises hysterically] well, then everyone loses their minds!”
For is right, even an “imperfect” system is more than fine if there’s consistency and stability to it which allows all participants to plan accordingly in how they run and organize their programs.

But as we know the committees and heads themselves use this like they used the SRO of the NCAA to shield themselves from accountability while having the latitude to do whatever the g*d da*n well please.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
To be fair, the Irish are number 3 both in Massey and Power Rankings. I have not seen the algorithm published, but I think Massey has a subjective starting point, and over-weights recent games, and includes some margin of victory measure. The Power Rating uses a cold start, so they used to advise readers that the season would need to be half over before the rankings stabilized. Personally, I like that it includes the experienced home-field advantage and margin of victory (though I think maybe a log function rather than an hard 10-goal cap might make sense).
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Massey's starting point is based on prior season's results. He doesnt give details of his methodology, so we don't know how "warm" a start he uses. This shouldn't be called "subjective" though, he has a formula. (Tweaking it by eye test would be subjective.)
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

44WeWantMore wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:40 pm To be fair, the Irish are number 3 both in Massey and Power Rankings.
Any time I become afraid that machine learning has hit a tipping point and computers are about to take over, I'll revisit these two links to remind myself that computers are still every bit as stupid as humans.
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

Wow, agree ICGrad! Does the laxpower2 site use the old laxpower algorithm?
Lux et veritas
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

For what it’s worth…

Massey’s match-up algorith has Cornell at 51% to beat OSU at the Kopf, with a median score of 13-12.

Same algorith has UVa at 62% to beat Brown in Providence, with a median score of 14-12.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

ICGrad wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:56 pm
44WeWantMore wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:40 pm To be fair, the Irish are number 3 both in Massey and Power Rankings.
Any time I become afraid that machine learning has hit a tipping point and computers are about to take over, I'll revisit these two links to remind myself that computers are still every bit as stupid as humans.
They’re just human error distillate…
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:47 pm
ICGrad wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:56 pm
They’re just human error distillate…
The question is if there’s market value in the byproduct
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Terry Foy on social media today hyping why Notre Dame is a justified #4 and Cornell a justified #11, and Harvard a justified #14 team. He may be correct, and it's a reasonable opinion. However to fuel the fire that the selection process is "flawed" because ND didn't take care of business early in the season is kind of silly.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”