Where have all the Hotbeds gone?

HS Boys Lacrosse
Jumbo

Re: Where have all the Hotbeds gone?

Post by Jumbo »

Slim wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:42 am Completely agree, Kramerica! Bring back the grass fields, fresh cut grass, ruts and c lumps, the odd bouncers, the mud, the longer cleats, fewer ACLs, less shin splints/stress fractures, etc.
I don’t miss those freezing March days on grass, when it was wet and above freezing the day before. All of those deep footprints in the mud, that turned into frozen ankle breakers.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Is OREGON a new hotbed?
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:00 pm LaxPower hasn't gone anywhere.
It's just called LaxNumbers now.
And they are tracking about 4k high school programs:

https://www.laxnumbers.com/ratings.php?y=2022&v=3000
Thank you Kramerica! To my initial point, the top public school on this list is Darien. At #19

Darien is an epic squad. They beat Chaminade and St Ants. (close, but pretty soundly according to folks who were on site) and came back against Brunswick to lose by just a couple after going down 7 nothing early. They beat Manhasset and Yorktown. They'd be higher up if they hadn't lost to their arch rival New Canaan earlier this year. Usually, performance like this would put then in the top 10 or so. They're definitely a top 1% team. But they're #19, and the top public in the list.

Top lax talent is emerging from all over these days. See my OP about top scorers on the ranked D1 teams.
random observer

Post by random observer »

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:00 pm

Thank you Kramerica! To my initial point, the top public school on this list is Darien. At #19

Darien is an epic squad. They beat Chaminade and St Ants. (close, but pretty soundly according to folks who were on site) and came back against Brunswick to lose by just a couple after going down 7 nothing early. They beat Manhasset and Yorktown. They'd be higher up if they hadn't lost to their arch rival New Canaan earlier this year. Usually, performance like this would put then in the top 10 or so. They're definitely a top 1% team. But they're #19, and the top public in the list.

Top lax talent is emerging from all over these days. See my OP about top scorers on the ranked D1 teams.
Again, I don't think that laxnumbers or the IL computer system carry the credibility that laxpower did; when teams reference rankings they are usually referring to the Nike/IL rankings or the US lax magazine rankings (Darien is at #6 and #5 in those respectively). I think from my understanding of laxnumbers' system, which appears to be much simpler to piece together than Laxpower's, the biggest drain on Darien's rating is actually their narrow victory over Yorktown. I respect the pure math approach laxnumbers employs, but at a certain point wins and losses also need to be weighed in the mix; scoring margin alone won't tell the full story.
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

random observer wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:41 am

Again, I don't think that laxnumbers or the IL computer system carry the credibility that laxpower did; when teams reference rankings they are usually referring to the Nike/IL rankings or the US lax magazine rankings (Darien is at #6 and #5 in those respectively). I think from my understanding of laxnumbers' system, which appears to be much simpler to piece together than Laxpower's, the biggest drain on Darien's rating is actually their narrow victory over Yorktown. I respect the pure math approach laxnumbers employs, but at a certain point wins and losses also need to be weighed in the mix; scoring margin alone won't tell the full story.
I've 'known' you long enough to trust your random observations, but how is Nike/InsideLacrosse different than https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... ational/22? Not a snarky poke, here, but I think I'm missing something.

USLacrosse omits boarding schools that allow Post Graduate admissions. Therefore no Taft, Lawrenceville, Salisbury, Hill Academy, IMG, Avon Old Farms, and Deerfield. The 'Hold-backs' that add a fifth year to a students HS career that 15 of the top 25 teams (obviously) lever is not a red line, though. Politics.

Again, Darien has impressed me every time I watched a full game on you tube this year. Even their performance in the scrimmage (note that Taft has splotchy pinnies on to denote 'scrimmage') this spring against my beloved Rhinos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxpWP3itMe4 ) was impressive in it's brevity. Consider the source...

Thanks for your input!
random observer

Post by random observer »

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:19 pm
random observer wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:41 am

I've 'known' you long enough to trust your random observations, but how is Nike/InsideLacrosse different than https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... ational/22? Not a snarky poke, here, but I think I'm missing something.

USLacrosse omits boarding schools that allow Post Graduate admissions. Therefore no Taft, Lawrenceville, Salisbury, Hill Academy, IMG, Avon Old Farms, and Deerfield. The 'Hold-backs' that add a fifth year to a students HS career that 15 of the top 25 teams (obviously) lever is not a red line, though. Politics.

Again, Darien has impressed me every time I watched a full game on you tube this year. Even their performance in the scrimmage (note that Taft has splotchy pinnies on to denote 'scrimmage') this spring against my beloved Rhinos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxpWP3itMe4 ) was impressive in it's brevity. Consider the source...

Thanks for your input!
The one you are linking to is IL's computer ratings. The one I'm referring to (which Nike may or may not still be affiliated with) is put together by the high school "experts" at IL:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... k-10/59608

Typically this poll (and the US lacrosse magazine poll, but to a much lesser extent because of the reasons you have outlined) is the one that is cited by people when there is talk of where teams are ranked. It's still a very flawed poll, but IMO it's probably the best of the current batch in the post-Laxpower era we find ourselves in.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”